PDA

View Full Version : Reporter Blasts Cowboys!!!

Deputy Nutz
01-14-2008, 10:49 AM
http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/408120.html

But the quarterback's job is to win big January games, regardless. That failure makes him a failure, regardless of events from September through November. And for whatever reason, Romo seemed tentative most of the afternoon

I understand losing is hard, really hard especially when you have life long fans as reporters, but this little article pulls no punches. I wonder what would happen in Wisconsin if a reporter got this ballsy with Packers after a tough playoff loss.

mmmdk
01-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Wow, it's brutal but so is saying that Romo is as good as Favre.

GoPackGo
01-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Thats is a brutal editorial. I'm not sure why the writer is so suprised that this happened given the way the Cowboys played in December and Wade Phillips' winless record as a head coach in the playoffs.

Carolina_Packer
01-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Yeah, he gets a penalty for piling on. Hey, it's understandable to be disappointed, but there was nothing in his article to give credit to the Giants, which I thought was immature. I'm guessing this guy is either fairly young and has yet to appreciate that the other team can beat you if you don't play an entire game and if they out-scheme you, or he's just such a myopic homer that he feels like he has the right to bash his home town team.

I'm not taking up for them. Everyone has injuries, but they had some significant enough ones down the stretch. If you get a QB with a sore thumb out of rhythm and throwing on the run, I don't think all of his throws are going to be good. Give the Giants credit for making it happen.

I listened to the Dallas post game show and Jason Garrett repeatedly said, in the second half, we had bad down and distances that put us at a disadvantage for conversions. I think that's a great point.

Writers like these may be truthy, but I think it's excessive. The 'Boys had a nice season, but it's one and done and every team but one is going to feel like they did yesterday.

pbmax
01-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Galloway used to be a regular on ESPN radio (Kornheiser in particular) and he generally was very funny and entertaining with some bite.

Given the time frame (post Johnson, post Super Bowl, horrible record as draft guru/GM and Chan Gailey as a head coach) he was usually in the position of defending Jerry Jones from unending and complete attack, a laughing stock on the order of Danny Snyder.

This article is in that same vein, with blame spread around to everyone who had a hand in it, but pretty spare laying it at the feet of Jones.

PFT had a source conjecture that Parcells and his new GM Ireland will hollow out the Cowboys personnel department of its better minds, and that Jones will let it happen as he still believes himself to be a quality GM. Galloway might see that winless streak march on, and he might run out of targets not named Jones.

pbmax
01-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Agreed. Did anyone else notice how Madden this year stopped comparing everyone to Favre and even started to compare Favre to Romo?

Do you think he switches back next year? :D

Wow, it's brutal but so is saying that Romo is as good as Favre.

The Leaper
01-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Writers like these may be truthy, but I think it's excessive. The 'Boys had a nice season, but it's one and done and every team but one is going to feel like they did yesterday.

I disagree.

17 times before, a #1 seed in the NFC had come away a victor in a divisional round matchup on their home turf. Not a single one had ever lost since the playoff format expanded to 12 teams...until yesterday.

The Cowboys were the favorite to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. They had just completed the best regular season of their long and storied history.

I can guarantee that Tampa doesn't feel the same as Dallas does right now...neither does Seattle or Washington. Those teams all knew deep down that they were longshots to reach the Super Bowl...and realistically had no chance of winning it.

Dallas was reasonably healthy. They were rightfully confident. They were entirely unfocused on what needed to be done though...and for that, no one can be blamed other than a head coach with a 0-4 record on his resume in the postseason.

gbgary
01-14-2008, 12:11 PM
yup...there's a bunch of bitterness around here. the cowboy nation (bandwagon) is in an uproar. i love it!! :D

vince
01-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Galloway used to be a regular on ESPN radio (Kornheiser in particular) and he generally was very funny and entertaining with some bite.

Given the time frame (post Johnson, post Super Bowl, horrible record as draft guru/GM and Chan Gailey as a head coach) he was usually in the position of defending Jerry Jones from unending and complete attack, a laughing stock on the order of Danny Snyder.

This article is in that same vein, with blame spread around to everyone who had a hand in it, but pretty spare laying it at the feet of Jones.

PFT had a source conjecture that Parcells and his new GM Ireland will hollow out the Cowboys personnel department of its better minds, and that Jones will let it happen as he still believes himself to be a quality GM. Galloway might see that winless streak march on, and he might run out of targets not named Jones.
Great post, pb. The buck stops at the top.

Cheesehead Craig
01-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Remember when all the hubbub came out about Terry Glenn coming back and how great she would make the Cowboys offense? Where's it at now?

twoseven
01-14-2008, 02:07 PM

I disagree.

17 times before, a #1 seed in the NFC had come away a victor in a divisional round matchup on their home turf. Not a single one had ever lost since the playoff format expanded to 12 teams...until yesterday.

The Cowboys were the favorite to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. They had just completed the best regular season of their long and storied history.

I can guarantee that Tampa doesn't feel the same as Dallas does right now...neither does Seattle or Washington. Those teams all knew deep down that they were longshots to reach the Super Bowl...and realistically had no chance of winning it.

Dallas was reasonably healthy. They were rightfully confident. They were entirely unfocused on what needed to be done though...and for that, no one can be blamed other than a head coach with a 0-4 record on his resume in the postseason.
Have to agree with you. Dallas were the darlings of the NFC this year, and were picked from near start to finish to be the NFC Champs. Praise was heaved on them all season, especially after they worked us in Dallas and became the undisputed top seed. They led the NFC in Pro-bowlers. The only teams with greater expectations than DAL at the start of the year were Chicago and Indy (and possibly NE--no one knew exactly what their FAs would yield back in August). Dallas should be feeling extra low today, they fell on their face at home as the top dogs in the NFC.

Merlin
01-14-2008, 02:08 PM
There were blips here and there about Peyton Manning not being able to win when it counted. He won a Super Bowl and not nary a peep. He chocked worse then Romo yesterday but he got a pass. 9-10 year vet vs 1.5 year vet, nice.

vince
01-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Peyton Manning completed 69% of his passes for 402 yards and 3 touchdowns. He had a ball go right through the backup rb's hands on the goalline that cost the team the game. Peyton Manning played well enough to help his team win.

Romo completed only 50% of his passes for 201 yards and 1 touchdown. He did not have a great game.

Say again who sucked worse than who?

HarveyWallbangers
01-14-2008, 02:39 PM
I do remember some people ready to annoit Manning as a better QB all-time than Favre because he got a Super Bowl ring last year. Outside of last year's 4-0 run to the Super Bowl, Manning has been pretty lousy in the playoffs. Outside of 2006, Indianapolis is 3-7 in the playoffs with Manning--with 3 home losses and just 1 road win. Manning has been lousy in almost every one of those games. Let's look at his performances in those losses:

In 1999, Indy lost to Tennessee at home, 16-13. He went 19 of 42 (45.2%) for 227 yards with 0 TDs and 0 interceptions.

In 2000, Indy lost at Miami, 23-17. He went 17 of 32 (53.1%) for 194 yards with 1 TD and 0 interceptions.

In 2002, Indy lost at NY Jets, 41-0. He went 14 of 31 (45.2%) for 137 yards with 0 TDs and 2 interceptions.

In 2003, Indy lost at New England, 24-14. He went 23 of 47 (48.9%) for 237 yards with 1 TD and 4 interceptions.

In 2004, Indy lost at New England, 20-3. He went 27 of 42 (64.3%) for 238 yards with 0 TDs and 1 interception.

In 2005, Indy lost to Pittsburgh at home, 21-18. He went 22 of 38 (57.9%) for 290 yards with 1 TD and 0 interceptions.

In 2007, Indy lost to San Diego at home, 28-24. He went 33 of 48 (68.8%) for 402 yards with 3 TDs and 2 interceptions.

Indy missed the playoffs in 1998 and 2001.

Indy averaged under 13 points/game in those 7 losses. He played okay against Pittsburgh. Yesterday, he played okay, but the interceptions hurt and he couldn't bring them back late. I don't blame it all on Manning. His defenses weren't great in a lot of those years, but he hasn't exactly been lighting it up. That's with guys like Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Edgerrin James, Joseph Addai, Dallas Clark, Tarik Glenn, etc. as offensive teammates. Things look bleak when you consider Harrison and Dungy are about to hang them up. On top of that, it doesn't look like it will be as easy for Manning to break Favre's records as it appeared a couple of years ago.

Merlin
01-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Manning had as many bad throws as Romo. His interceptions were ill timed and poor decision on his part. The one you are referring to was thrown too high with tight coverage. It was a poor decision by Manning. Completion percentage and yards doesn't tell the whole story. Manning chocked when it counted. He had ample opportunities to win the game and blew them. 9-10 year vet and a player who is a 1.5 year vet. Romo played badly but he alone didn't cost them the game. Manning, for all the numbers he put up, threw poorly thrown balls for ints in crucial drives. You would think a 9-10 year vet would be smarter then that. He isn't Favre after all.

You, like a lot of the pundits, are always making excuses for Peyton Manning. He is not a great QB. Take away his weapons and he is mediocre. I don't care who had the better numbers, Manning has the experience and supposedly is some kind of QB god. If you are going to climb on Romo, then Manning doesn't get a free pass.

HarveyWallbangers
01-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Peyton Manning completed 69% of his passes for 402 yards and 3 touchdowns. He had a ball go right through the backup rb's hands on the goalline that cost the team the game. Peyton Manning played well enough to help his team win.

Romo completed only 50% of his passes for 201 yards and 1 touchdown. He did not have a great game.

Say again who sucked worse than who?

I don't think either guy played particularly well, but Romo wasn't helped by some really bad drops.

The Leaper
01-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Manning had as many bad throws as Romo.

Neither played great. Both had chances to grasp victory, and fell short.

Comparing the two is ridiculous though. Romo hasn't even won a damn playoff game yet...let alone a SB.

vince
01-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Manning had as many bad throws as Romo. His interceptions were ill timed and poor decision on his part. The one you are referring to was thrown too high with tight coverage. It was a poor decision by Manning. Completion percentage and yards doesn't tell the whole story. Manning chocked when it counted. He had ample opportunities to win the game and blew them. 9-10 year vet and a player who is a 1.5 year vet. Romo played badly but he alone didn't cost them the game. Manning, for all the numbers he put up, threw poorly thrown balls for ints in crucial drives. You would think a 9-10 year vet would be smarter then that. He isn't Favre after all.

You, like a lot of the pundits, are always making excuses for Peyton Manning. He is not a great QB. Take away his weapons and he is mediocre. I don't care who had the better numbers, Manning has the experience and supposedly is some kind of QB god. If you are going to climb on Romo, then Manning doesn't get a free pass.
1. I'm no Peyton Manning fan, although I think I can be objective about his career.
2, I have NEVER ONCE made excuses for Peyton Manning.
3. Other than to correct a personal mis-accusation, I'm not about to engage you in a debate about Peyton Manning. Been there, done that on other subjects.

CaliforniaCheez
01-14-2008, 05:25 PM
http://bp2.blogger.com/_16noOQI-C9g/R4LAMaNBY1I/AAAAAAAAA3s/MKHidvdtCpc/s400/daldown.jpg[/list]

FritzDontBlitz
01-14-2008, 07:11 PM
I think all this shit is TFF. A lot of people on this board had pretty much conceded the Super Bowl berth to Dallas weeks before the Packers met them in Green Bay. The comparisons to Favre have been nauseating, even yesterday Romo makes a lame little flip to Whitten on the run and every show that had highlights follows it with a clip of Favre. Stumbling. In a blinding snowstorm. Making a blind pass. And SWEARING Romo's throw is "Favre-esque" each time.

Barf-esque.

If Romo wants to be compared to Favre when he's winning he needs to accept getting ripped to shreds whenever his team loses. Now THAT would be Favre-esque.

motife
01-14-2008, 07:13 PM
The Dallas radio game broadcast noted that WR Terry Glenn was in tears after the game. (Yes, another Dallas wideout bawling.)

Terry Glenn with Parcells is a tough, gutty receiver.

Terry Glenn without Parcells is a timid rag doll, injured 13 games out of 16. Worthless.

Freak Out
01-14-2008, 07:17 PM
I left the house right after the pick at the end....were the Boys out there shaking hands after the game?

motife
01-14-2008, 07:39 PM
I left the house right after the pick at the end....were the Boys out there shaking hands after the game?

http://photos-733.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v184/11/1/605353733/n605353733_264381_449.jpg

from the sound and the looks of it, they were shell-shocked.

I didn't think any loss could have been as disheartening as the Dallas loss last year on the failed snap, but Jerry Jones said it was the worst loss in his 19 years as owner.

I listened to the game on Real Player and the crowd was almost silent on the last drive.

One of the announcers said after the game that the fans and the players seemed to both fold after the tying NYG TD at the end of the first half.

That was a 7 play, 71 yard drive that started with :53 left in the half.

b bulldog
01-14-2008, 08:25 PM
romo didn't lose that game for the Cowboys. The Wr's had some big drops, they had some huge penaties and the OC decided to change their O. Garrett went away from the blitzkrieg O that got them there and settled for 3 yards and a cloud of dust that the Gmen wanted. The Giants were able to slow the game down and in the end, the Boys choked.

pbmax
01-14-2008, 11:49 PM
Don't forget the defense each was playing. The Giants have a great four man pass rush, but their secondary has had more injuries than the Packers D Line.

Manning faced a very good Chargers defense that puts as much pressure on the QB and can cover. Romo and his O (I don't think you can separate out the two so easily esp. when Romo is so young) had a MUCH worse day. Manning was a catch versus a tipped ball away from pulling that game out of the fire.

The biggest culprit, as I saw the game, was the Cowboys D. All those Parcells guys allowed an awful lot of points this season.

GrnBay007
01-14-2008, 11:59 PM
No. 9-wearing blonde crashes Cowboys game
by JENNIFER FERMINO, New York Post

IRVING, Texas - Jess win, baby!

Even a fake Jessica Simpson was good enough to throw off the Dallas Cowboys yesterday, as New York took a Giant step toward the Super Bowl.

The Giants, who notched a stunning 21-17 victory over Dallas in the NFC Divisional Playoffs, had a good-luck charm in the stands — in the form of Simpson lookalike Lynsey Nordstrom.

The real Simpson was the subject of great hand-wringing in Big D all week because of her budding romance with Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo and his habit of falling short on the field when gal pals are in attendance.

Simpson — nicknamed "Yoko Romo" by some superstitious Cowboys fans — didn't show up yesterday, but The New York Post brought Nordstrom, a beautiful, 21-year-old nanny from Bothell, Wash., to Texas Stadium.

The Post sat her in the third row at the 50-yard line behind Dallas' bench. The stunner's Simpson-esque vibes must have made the difference — Romo's final drive was stopped short of the end zone.

"I knew we were going to win when I saw her [Nordstrom]. I'm dead serious!" said Giant die-hard Anthony Triglia, 21, of Staten Island who cheered Big Blue in the heart of enemy territory.

"You have to come to Green Bay," Triglia told Nordstrom.

Then, in true Jessica, Chicken-of-the-Sea fashion, Nordstrom candidly responded: "What's Green Bay?"

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7674832

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/7673444_36_2.jpg

swede
01-15-2008, 07:34 AM
I wonder if her employer even has any kids.