PDA

View Full Version : What is your Favre 'Top 10'?

Fosco33
01-15-2008, 08:11 AM
ESPN anointed this weekend's spinning, stumbling, underhand flip to Donald Lee the TOP play of the divisional round - and maybe a signature Favre play.

I got to thinking - what are your favorite plays by #4?

So many to chose from... from the top of my head:

- His dives (at old County Stadium in the last game there, the one from the first Super Bowl where he hit the pile-on)

- His bombs (Detroit wild card to Sterling Sharpe, Super Bowl to Andre Rison, the Oakland game after his dad's death (multiple plays), OT vs. Denver to GJ, first TD pass to Taylor)

- The head scratchers (this weekend's underhand flip, the time he came back in on a 4th down to toss a TD after being knocked out and thus continuing his TD game streak, his first completion - to himself)

No way am I capturing them all here.... but if ESPN does have a 'top 10' just for Brett (which they hinted at) - what is yours???

MJZiggy
01-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Anything that made the Walrus' face turn purple was usually pretty cool.

I vote for the dive into the end zone that you see pictured all the time. Or maybe when he throws a block.

packinpatland
01-15-2008, 08:33 AM
His first Lambeau Leap...........and the play that allowed it to happen.

Partial
01-15-2008, 08:52 AM
The bomb to Andre Rison has got to be up there. Mainly because of the school boy jog across the field with his helmet off.

The bomb to Greg Jennings in overtime against Denver.

I recall from my very early years Favre scrambling and running a ball in for a game winning touchdown. I was very young, but I remember my Dad telling me that Favre was going to be a very good player after that.

The amazing catch by Wesley Walls over his shoulder in the Monday night game against the Raiders and the jumping hug that followed.

The moment when he fireman carried Donald Driver for the first time. I don't remember ever seeing him do that to anyone until last year.

Fosco33
01-15-2008, 09:21 AM
I recall from my very early years Favre scrambling and running a ball in for a game winning touchdown. I was very young, but I remember my Dad telling me that Favre was going to be a very good player after that.

I think this was the play I was referencing above (at County Stadium - an amazing dive (I believe over one guy and underneath a flying tackler). I was pretty young too (14) - but I remember cutting out the picture from the Journal.

http://www.packersnews.com/favre/articles/favre_24343642.shtml

Fosco33
01-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Maybe a top 16 would work better - so many to choose from!

vince
01-15-2008, 10:14 AM
The game-winning bullet to Kitrick Taylor (I think Nutz or someone posted the video last week) that launched his career has got to rank right up there.

The Leaper
01-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Most of Favre defining moments have come after injury or hardship. Beating Reggie's Eagles with a separated shoulder. Torching the Bears on one good leg. Tossing a 4th down TD when he didn't have a clue how many fingers someone was holding up.

HarveyWallbangers
01-15-2008, 11:12 AM
I went back in the archives to try to ensure accuracy.

Top Plays:

--Game winner to Kitrick Taylor against the Bengals in 1992.
--Long touchdown pass to Sterling Sharpe on a beautiful play action fake at Chicago in 1992.
--Game winner to Sterling Sharpe at Detroit in the 1993 playoffs.
--Long touchdown run in the Halloween monsoon at Chicago on Monday Night Football in 1994.
--Game winning scramble against the Falcons at County Stadium in 1994.
--Bomb to Robert Brooks for 99 yards at Chicago on Monday Night Football in 1995.
--Bullet touchdown pass between three defenders to Mark Ingram against the Bengals in 1995.
--Falling down and then completing a pass in the shocking victory at San Francisco in the 1995 playoffs.
--Underhanded flip to Antonio Freeman at Seattle in 1996.
--Scrambling TD pass to Dorsey Levens at St. Louis in 1996.
--The stiff-arm of Michael Dean Perry and touchdown pass against the Broncos in 1996.
--The pitch to Dorsey Levens while getting sacked by Kevin Greene against the Panthers in the 1996 playoffs.
--Bombs to Andre Rison and Antonio Freeman in the 1996 Super Bowl.
--Amazing touchdown pass to Mark Chmura at New England on Monday Night Football in 1997.
--Getting the better end of trash talking with Koy Detmer against the Eagles in 1998.
--Game winner to Corey Bradford on 4th down against the Vikings in 1999.
--Game winner to Antonio Freeman against the Buccaneers in 1999.
--Improbable heave to Antonio Freeman against the Vikings in OT on Monday Night Football in 2000.
--Game winning run at Jacksonville (capping a big comeback) on Monday Night Football in 2001.
--Every throw at Oakland on Monday Night Football the day after his Dad died in 2003, but I'll add the first one to Wesley Walls for its beauty.
--Touchdown pass to Javon Walker after getting a concussion against the Giants in 2004.
--Big passes to Donald Driver (for a TD on 4th down) and Javon Walker to set up the Christmas victory at Minnesota in the "NFC North Title Game" in 2004.
--400th career TD pass to Greg Jennings at Detroit in 2006.
--First Lambeau Leap against the Cardinals in 2006.
--Game winner to Greg Jennings against the Chargers in 2007.
--Record breaker to Greg Jennings at Minnesota in 2007.
--Game winning bomb to Greg Jennings at Denver in OT on Monday Night Football in 2007.
--Game winner to Greg Jennings at Kansas City in 2007.
--Shovel pass to Donald Lee against the Seahawks in the 2007 playoffs.

Other top moments:

--Beating the Eagles with a separated shoulder in 1992.
--Victory and 5 passing TDs against the Bears on a badly sprained ankle in 1995.
--"Don't bet against me" press conference after rehab before the 1996 season.
--The joyous run off the field without his helmet after throwing the TD to Rison in the 1996 Super Bowl.
--The dance he did with LeRoy Butler on the sideline in the 1996 Super Bowl.
--Victory over and jawing with Warren Sapp against the Buccaneers in the 1997 playoffs.
--The three consecutive game winning touchdowns to start the 1999 season.
--Performance on Monday Night Football at Oakland a day after his Dad died in 2003.
--The spin moves, stiff arms, and blocks that he's made over the years.
--The joy in which he plays the game. Plus, the sideline theatrics over the years.
--The tackling of teammates in the endzone after TDs early in his career.
--The fist pump and the double No. 1 point to the sky after TD passes.

I'm going to look these over, and try to figure out what my top 10 would be.

Fosco33
01-15-2008, 12:44 PM

Top Plays:

--Long touchdown pass to Sterling Sharpe on a beautiful play action fake at Chicago in 1992.
--Long touchdown run in the Halloween monsoon at Chicago on Monday Night Football in 1993.
--Bomb to Robert Brooks for 99 yards at Chicago on Monday Night Football in 1995.
--Bullet touchdown pass between three defenders to Mark Ingram against the Bengals in 1995.
--Falling down and then completing a pass in the shocking victory at San Francisco in the 1995 playoffs.
--The stiff-arm of Michael Dean Perry and touchdown pass against the Broncos in 1996.
--The pitch to Dorsey Levens while getting sacked by Kevin Greene against the Panthers in the 1996 playoffs.
--Amazing touchdown pass to Mark Chmura at New England on Monday Night Football in 1997.
--Game winning run at Jacksonville (capping a big comeback) on Monday Night Football in 2001.
--Improbable heave to Antonio Freeman against the Vikings in OT on Monday Night Football in 2001.
--Every throw at Oakland on Monday Night Football the day after his Dad died in 2003, but I'll add the first one to Wesley Walls for its beauty.
--Touchdown pass to Javon Walker after getting a concussion against the Giants in 2004.
--Big passes to Donald Driver (for a TD on 4th down) and Javon Walker to set up the Christmas victory at Minnesota in the "NFC North Title Game" in 2004.
--Game winning bomb to Greg Jennings at Denver in OT on Monday Night Football in 2007.

Other top moments:

--Victory and 5 passing TDs against the Bears on a badly sprained ankle in 1995.
--The joyous run off the field without his helmet after throwing the TD to Rison in the 1996 Super Bowl.
--Victory over and jawing with Warren Sapp against the Buccaneers in the 1997 playoffs.
--The three consecutive game winning touchdowns to start the 1998 season.
--Performance on Monday Night Football at Oakland a day after his Dad died in 2003.
--The joy in which he plays the game. Plus, the sideline theatrics over the years.

Harv - you never cease to amaze me. You are the MAN!

After the season - we could have a runoff/poll series to figure out the Top Plays. :idea:

The Leaper
01-15-2008, 01:25 PM
My top 5 from Harvey's list...put in the perspective I think history will reflect upon by an average NFL fan:

1. The joyous run off the field without his helmet after throwing the TD to Rison in the 1996 Super Bowl. Every NFL legend has that one image that is burned in your memory's retina...Montana's hands raised after tossing to Taylor, Elway's helicopter and victory smile, Starr running to the sidelines to talk to Vince and then running the sneak at the Ice Bowl. For Favre, the image we will first see 50 years from now will be that TD pass to Rison and the scene of jubilation afterward at SB 31. All of his exploits on the field result from that kid-like jubilation he shows for the game.

2. Every throw at Oakland on Monday Night Football the day after his Dad died in 2003. That game will continue to be talked about years after Favre is dead and buried. I put it so high on the list because it was a moment Favre not only shared with Packer fans, but the entire NFL as a whole.

3. Game winning bomb to Greg Jennings at Denver in OT on Monday Night Football in 2007. It might not seem to be as huge a play to us right now...but this was the moment in 2007 when Favre triumphantly shut up for a final time every doubter who had popped up after the 4-12 season. There hasn't been a negative word written about him since that I can remember.

4. TD Record breaker to Greg Jennings at Minnesota in 2007. Any record breaking moment of that stature will be remembered...but Favre did it in style by reading the defense, knowing exactly what would unfold during the play, changing routes and blocking at the LOS in the waning seconds of the play clock, and then rifling the perfect pass in time to beat the unblocked blitz from his blind side for a TD.

5. Improbable heave to Antonio Freeman against the Vikings in OT on Monday Night Football in 2001. Probably not as memorable for Packer fans, but average NFL fans will remember this play on MNF more than the other ones that are more memorable to just Packer fans.

twoseven
01-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Not the greatest plays ever, but my favorite moments are when Brett has given the smack talk right back to the opponent. Two that come to mind are getting levelled by a TB Buc only to be up and in his face immediately helmet to helmet. The other is when that turd Koy Detmer was doing his little six gun pelvis spank move after scoring on the Pack while QBing the Eagles, only to have Favre get fired up and put up a GB TD and then return the favor, pointing at Koy on the sidelines and mocking his childish move from the middle of the field. Those were the days, when young Favre got either hit very hard or pi$$ed and then upped his game to another level.

HarveyWallbangers
01-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Not the greatest plays ever, but my favorite moments are when Brett has given the smack talk right back to the opponent. Two that come to mind are getting levelled by a TB Buc only to be up and in his face immediately helmet to helmet. The other is when that turd Koy Detmer was doing his little six gun pelvis spank move after scoring on the Pack while QBing the Eagles, only to have Favre get fired up and put up a GB TD and then return the favor, pointing at Koy on the sidelines and mocking his childish move from the middle of the field. Those were the days, when young Favre got either hit very hard or pi$$ed and then upped his game to another level.

I'll add those. I actually thought about the first one, but wasn't sure when it happened and who hit him. If somebody can find that information, please post.

Pacopete4
01-15-2008, 02:02 PM
mine will be carrying the Lombardi Trophy out of the Arizona stadium and all the way back to Lambeau and him sayin thank you to us all for being the greatest fans there is and saying... "see ya next season!" and walking away back to the tractor for a few months

The Leaper
01-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Those were the days, when young Favre got either hit very hard or pi$$ed and then upped his game to another level.

I think the old Favre still gets pissed and ups his game.

Exhibit A: Denver, Colorado 2007 - after a bye week full of questions regarding his arm strength, I think old Favre got pissed and upped his game.

The reason we don't see it as often as we used to? Opponents realize that getting Favre mad...young or old...isn't going to be of any help to them.

HarveyWallbangers
01-15-2008, 02:06 PM
It would be cool if people found video links to each of these plays. It might take a team effort.
:D

Pacopete4
01-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Harv I got nothin to do today.. ill be on the look out

MJZiggy
01-15-2008, 02:09 PM

Top Plays:

--Long touchdown run in the Halloween monsoon at Chicago on Monday Night Football in 1993.
--Getting the better end of trash talking with Koy Detmer against the Eagles in 1998.
--Improbable heave to Antonio Freeman against the Vikings in OT on Monday Night Football in 2001.

Other top moments:

--The three consecutive game winning touchdowns to start the 1998 season.

Ok, this is wonderful, truly impressive. But what date is your anniversary and when is your wife's birthday?

HarveyWallbangers
01-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Ok, this is wonderful, truly impressive. But what date is your anniversary and when is your wife's birthday?

I know those also. I know my daughter's birthday also. I'm on top of things. I'm a programmer.

twoseven
01-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Those were the days, when young Favre got either hit very hard or pi$$ed and then upped his game to another level.

Does it count when he gets pissed at his own guys? :)

Pacopete4
01-15-2008, 02:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbt6jUtzVI0

Favre pass to Taylor to beat the bengals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbwiuz9utmI

Favre to Sharpe against Detroit in playoffs

http://www.zippyvideos.com/3301608671899746/koyfavrewhip/

Favre telling Detmer to suck it against the eagles

Fosco33
01-15-2008, 02:17 PM

Exhibit A: Denver, Colorado 2007 - after a bye week full of questions regarding his arm strength, I think old Favre got pissed and upped his game.

The reason we don't see it as often as we used to? Opponents realize that getting Favre mad...young or old...isn't going to be of any help to them.

Remember all the games when Madden or someone would throw a stat like, "before taking that blow to the head - he was 4 for 10 for 30 yards and 2 INTs; after the hit he's been 12 for 14 for 120 yards and 2 TDs".

I'm still in shock that I actually have tickets to this game :shock:

Hopefully we can add one more line to the legendary list this Sunday!

twoseven
01-15-2008, 02:22 PM
I'll add those. I actually thought about the first one, but wasn't sure when it happened and who hit him. If somebody can find that information, please post.

Here it is, I think. Posted the whole thing, a nice memory.
-------------------------------
N.F.L. Week 2 -- YESTERDAY'S GAMES; Favre Backs Up Talk With Smart Passing

By MIKE FREEMAN
Published: September 14, 1998

When Green Bay last played Tampa Bay, the Buccaneers' defensive lineman Warren Sapp was in the face of quarterback Brett Favre, and the two men weren't chatting about the Israeli peace process. Both are avid trash-talkers, and their outbursts during last season's conference title game marked the beginning of a furious rivalry between two of the game's best players.

The Buccaneers' remarkable showing last year, sparked by the great play of Sapp, had many picking them to dethrone the Packers this year for the division title. But Tampa Bay does not appear ready to do that yet, as Green Bay beat the Buccaneers, 23-15, before 60,124 at Lambeau Field. Green Bay showed that it is still the team to beat in the National Football Conference Central. It was Green Bay's sixth straight victory over Tampa Bay.

When people say one team has caught you or is passing you by, it gets your competitive juices flowing, sure, Packers Coach Mike Holmgren said.

I'm very disappointed, Tampa Bay Coach Tony Dungy said, not because we are 0-2, but over the way we are playing.

The game was at times ugly, but it had some delicious moments between Sapp and Favre. Sapp sacked Favre twice, and whenever the two were in close proximity, they began chirping at each other. Once, Sapp had his helmet knocked off while bull-rushing up the middle, then he hit Favre, minus the headgear, knocking the quarterback to the ground. Favre had his hand stepped on during that play and was in pain, but that didn't stop him from jawing with Sapp.

He was just saying, 'I'll be after you all day,' Favre said after the game. And he was.

The Buccaneers played a poor game from the start, as their first two drives produced a total of four plays, minus-6 yards and a fumble. The Packers took advantage of the slow start with a 38-yard field goal by Ryan Longwell and a 10-yard touchdown catch by tight end Tyrone Davis for a 10-0 lead.

Tampa Bay quarterback Trent Dilfer (20 of 36 for 211 yards) did not direct his team effectively. Happy feet in the pocket is not a sign of a great leader, and Dilfer also has another bad quality -- he holds on to the ball too low and too long. Packers defensive lineman Reggie White just kept swiping at the ball the few times he couldn't get to Dilfer, once knocking it loose. White's first sack gave him 177.5 for his career, his second gave Dilfer the shakes because it was inches from being a safety, and his third made him the Packers' career leader, with 55.5.

Green Bay's defensive line caused three Dilfer fumbles, and the Packers recovered them all. Dilfer was also sacked six times and hurried many others; meanwhile, Green Bay's secondary blanketed Tampa Bay's receivers.

The victory extended the Packers' regular-season home streak to 25, putting them just two games short of the longest home-field winning streak in league history, the Miami Dolphins' 27-game stretch from 1971 to '74.

The talk of the Packers' locker room was not the team's 2-0 start; rather, it was Favre and his mouth. Early in the fourth quarter, while scrambling, Favre smartly ducked under one potential tackler, but two seconds later was smashed by Regan Upshaw, a 268-pound defensive lineman. Favre immediately got off the ground and started trash-talking to him.

One play later, Favre threw a dart to wide receiver Antonio Freeman for a 38-yard touchdown and a 23-0 lead.

After the touchdown, Favre went to the Packers' sideline and either high-fived or head-butted almost every teammate. One player he head-butted wasn't wearing a helmet. Neither of them seemed to care.

Pacopete4
01-15-2008, 02:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Fz1nSAnHY&feature=related

most those highlight plays are in here

Bossman641
01-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Most of my favorite have been said already. I'll add the underhand flip to Green for a TD. Funny thing is, it had a perfect spiral on it. I'm pretty sure it was on a Monday night against the Vikings cause I remember Madden going crazy.

Favre carving up the SB Ravens when they came to town.

The td pass mentioned earlier between 3 Bengals players. Everytime I see that play I think "What the hell did he see there and how in the world did he do it?"

The 99 yard TD pass to Brooks against the Bears on Monday night

MadtownPacker
01-16-2008, 02:26 AM

most those highlight plays are in hereMan, that one kicked ass.

It's got the underhand pass to Green you mentioned Bossman.

HarveyWallbangers
01-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Here is an expanded list of his great moments. I had a lot of time on my hands last night, and I did massive research.

I'd like to make this comprehensive. Maybe post why the game/play was memorable, the story of the game, videos/photos, etc.

Thanks for the adding to the list. Keep posting more as you remember them.

BRETT FAVRE'S MOST MEMORABLE PLAYS/MOMENTS

Game winning TD pass to Kitrick Taylor vs. Cincinnati (September 20, 1992)

76-yard TD pass to Sterling Sharpe vs. Pittsburgh (September 27, 1992)

Guides the Packers to a 27-24 vs. Philadelphia after separating his shoulder (November 15, 1992)

49-yard TD pass to Sterling Sharpe on a beautiful play action fake at Chicago (November 22, 1992)

Guides the Packers to a big 16-14 victory at Houston on Sunday Night Football (December 13, 1992)

Throws 4 TDs to Sterling Sharpe in a 37-14 victory at Tampa Bay (October 24, 1993)

Guides the Packers to a playoff-clinching victory in the bitter cold vs. Oakland (December 24, 1993)

Game winning, 40-yard TD pass to Sterling Sharpe at Detroit in the playoffs (January 8, 1994)

33-yard TD run in the Halloween monsoon at Chicago on Monday Night Football (October 31, 1994)

Throws 4 TDs (0 ints) in a valiant 42-31 loss at Dallas on Thanksgiving (November 24, 1994)

Game winning, playoff clinching TD run vs. Atlanta at County Stadium (December 18, 1994)

99-yard TD pass to Robert Brooks at Chicago on Monday Night Football (September 11, 1995)

Throws for 295 yards and 4 TDs (0 ints) in a 38-21 victory vs. Minnesota (October 22, 1995)

Throws for 336 yards and 5 TDs (0 ints) with high ankle sprain in a 35-28 victory vs. Chicago (November 12, 1995)

Amazing TD pass to Mark Ingram between three defenders vs. Cincinnati (December 3, 1995)

Throws for 308 yards and 4 TDs (0 ints) in a 34-23 victory at New Orleans (December 16, 1995)

Guides the Packers to a division-clinching victory vs. Pittsburgh (December 24, 1995)

Throws 3 TDs (0 ints) in a 37-20 victory vs. Atlanta in the playoffs (December 31, 1995)

Incredible performance in a shocking upset at San Francisco in the playoffs (January 6, 1996)

"Don't bet against me" press conference after rehab before the 1996 season (July 18, 1996)

Backhanded TD pass to Antonio Freeman at Seattle (September 29, 1996)

Throws for 395 yards in an OT victory vs. San Francisco on Monday Night Football (November 14, 1996)

Scrambling TD pass to Dorsey Levens at St. Louis (November 24, 1996)

TD pass after stiff-arming Michael Dean Perry against the Broncos (December 8, 1996)

Flip pass to Dorsey Levens vs. Carolina in the playoffs (January 12, 1997)

Guides the Packers to a 35-21 victory vs. New England in the Super Bowl (February 2, 1997)

Throws 5 TDs in a 38-32 victory vs. Minnesota (September 21, 1997)

Amazing TD pass to Mark Chmura at New England on Monday Night Football (October 27, 1997)

Throws 4 TDs in a 45-17 victory vs. Dallas (November 23, 1997)

Trash talks with Warren Sapp in a 21-7 victory vs. Tampa Bay in the playoffs (January 4, 1998)

Guides the Packers to a 23-10 victory at San Francisco in the NFC Championship Game (January 11, 1998)

Throws for 388 yards and 5 TDs in a 37-30 victory at Carolina (September 27, 1998)

Shows up Koy Detmer in a 24-16 victory vs. Philadelphia (November 29, 1998)

Shows extreme toughness in a 24-22 loss at Tampa Bay (December 7, 1998)

Throws game winning, last minute TD pass in three consecutive home games (early 1999)

Underhanded TD pass to Ahman Green vs. Minnesota on Monday Night Football (November 6, 2000)

Game winning TD pass in OT to Antonio Freeman vs. Minnesota on Monday Night Football (November 6, 2000)

Throws for 290 yards and 3 TDs (0 ints) in a 33-28 victory at Minnesota (December 17, 2000)

Throws for 337 yards and 3 TDs (0 ints) in a 31-23 victory vs. defending Super Bowl champion Baltimore (October 14, 2001)

Gets a Turkey Leg in a 29-27 victory at Detroit on Thanksgiving (November 22, 2001)

Game winning TD run caps a big comeback at Jacksonville on Monday Night Football (December 3, 2001)

Throws for 269 yards and 2 TDs in a 25-15 victory vs. San Francisco in the playoffs (January 13, 2002)

Throws for 359 yards and 3 TDs (0 ints) in a 34-21 victory vs. Chicago in Champagne on Monday Night Football (October 7, 2002)

Throws 3 TDs (0 ints) in a 28-10 victory at defending Super Bowl champion New England (October 13, 2002)

Throws 4 TDs in a come from behind victory at San Diego (December 14, 2003)

Incredible performance at Oakland on Monday Night Football after his Dad died (December 22, 2003)

Throws for 319 yards and 1 TD (0 ints) in a 33-27 OT victory vs. Seattle in the playoffs (January 4, 2004)

Throws for 360 yards and 4 TDs (0 ints) in a valiant 45-31 loss at Indianapolis (September 26, 2004)

28-yard TD pass to Javon Walker after getting a concussion vs. NY Giants (October 3, 2004)

Throws for 258 yards and 2 TDs (0 ints) in a 41-20 victory vs. Dallas (October 24, 2004)

Throws 4 TDs (0 ints) in a 34-31 victory vs. Minnesota (November 14, 2004)

Incredible performance at Minnesota in "NFC North Title Game" (December 24, 2004)

Throws for 303 yards and 4 TDs in a valiant 32-29 loss at Carolina on Monday Night Football (October 3, 2005)

75-yard TD pass (400th career TD pass) to Greg Jennings at Detroit (September 24, 2006)

Throws for 347 yards and 2 TDs (0 ints) in a 23-17 victory at Minnesota (November 12, 2006)

68-yard, triple pump TD pass to Donald Driver at San Francisco (December 10, 2006)

First Lambeau Leap vs. Arizona (October 29, 2006)

Game winning, 57-yard TD pass to Greg Jennings vs. San Diego (September 23, 2007)

Record breaking TD pass to Greg Jennings at Minnesota (September 30, 2007)

Game winning, 82-yard TD pass to Greg Jennings at Denver in OT on Monday Night Football (October 29, 2007)

Late 60-yard TD pass to Greg Jennings at Kansas City (November 4, 2007)

Throws for 351 yards and 3 TDs (0 ints) in a 34-0 victory vs. Minnesota (November 11, 2007)

Throws for 381 yards and 3 TDs (0 ints) in a 37-26 victory vs. Detroit on Thanksgiving (November 22, 2007)

Underhanded pass to Donald Lee for a first down vs. Seattle in the playoffs (January 12, 2008)

Partial
01-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Harv did his homework. Awesome.

HarveyWallbangers
01-16-2008, 10:23 AM

Kind of wish I was doing this for Greg Jennings instead. This is going to be very time-consuming for me.

oregonpackfan
01-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Impressive research, Harvey!

I cannot remember the exact game in the mid-90's but the speed and strength of Favre's pass amazed me.

The Packers were on the opposition's 35 yard line. The play called for a pass. Favre was getting pressure and rolled out to his right. He stopped and rifled a pass to Antonio Freeman who was cutting to the left on the goal line. Freeman caught the pass for a touchdown.

The incredible aspect of the pass was that Favre "threw it on a rope." For 35 yards, that ball had an arc of maybe one foot! In addition, the speed of that pass was so fast, I was surprised any receiver could catch it.

The following Monday, I had several people come up to me(knowing I am a Packer fan) and marvel "Did you see that pass by Favre yesterday?!"

Do you recall that game, Harvey?

MJZiggy
01-16-2008, 10:28 AM

Kind of wish I was doing this for Greg Jennings instead. This is going to be very time-consuming for me.

All this and I get spurned... :cry:

HarveyWallbangers
01-16-2008, 10:50 AM

Maybe you can turn this into an PackerRats article. This is a labor of love, and I can finish when I want. There was just too much pressure for the other thing.

HarveyWallbangers
01-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Do you recall that game, Harvey?

I don't. Do you remember who it was against? Home or away? Around what year? Anything that might job my memory.

The Leaper
01-16-2008, 11:02 AM

While Favre's athletic skills remain impressive...some of these older clips really give you an understanding of just how ridiculously talented Favre was as a kid. He's probably at 75% of what he used to be...and it is still better than just about any QB in the NFL.

The Leaper
01-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Here is an expanded list of his great moments. I had a lot of time on my hands last night, and I did massive research.

Awesome job Harvey! This is a tremendous start.

Yes, this needs it's own dedicated thread...where people can offer images and stories regarding each event. We have at least 5 more years to perfect it before we can take it public when Favre is enshrined in Canton.

denverYooper
01-16-2008, 11:08 AM

I know those also. I know my daughter's birthday also. I'm on top of things. I'm a programmer.

I'm a programmer too, that's why I have plenty of time to cruise all of the important online fora ;)

HarveyWallbangers
01-16-2008, 11:13 AM
What do you guys and gals think of this format for this?

The Packers had traded a 1st round pick to the Atlanta Falcons for an unknown, 3rd string quarterback from Southern Mississippi. At the time, the move seemed typical for a mostly inept franchise. Typically bad. The Packers started the season 0-2 under first year head coach Mike Holmgren and quarterback Don Majkowski. Early in the game against a good Cincinnati team that had started the year 2-0, the "Majik Man" was injured (ala Wally Pipp). For the first three quarters Favre was inconsistent, erractic, and exciting to watch. However, in the 4th quarter Favre engineered a magical comeback, and the rest was history.

Quote(s) to remember:
Packers OL Tootie Robbins: “Brett got hot and when your quarterback gets to slingin’ the football like that, I mean, the adrenaline gets going. Everyone on the field and the sideline had that look in their eye like, ‘We aren’t going to lose this football game.'”

Favre: “I couldn’t bear to look,” he said. “I just closed my eyes and waited for the crowd to let me know.”

Story: http://www.packersnews.com/favre/articles/favre_24008631.shtml
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbt6jUtzVI0

Fosco33
01-16-2008, 11:22 AM

Awesome job Harvey! This is a tremendous start.

Yes, this needs it's own dedicated thread...where people can offer images and stories regarding each event. We have at least 5 more years to perfect it before we can take it public when Favre is enshrined in Canton.

That's what I was hoping to accomplish when starting this thread - didn't think it would baloon into something special. I won't be offended if it's altered/changed or turned into a homepage section/article. In fact - that's an awesome idea!

Harv - you need to ditch programming and look at something in sports (coaching, GM, scout, etc.). Gotta love what you do!

Fosco33
01-16-2008, 11:25 AM
What do you guys and gals think of this format for this?

The Packers had traded a 1st round pick to the Atlanta Falcons for an unknown, 3rd string quarterback from Southern Mississippi. At the time, the move seemed typical for a mostly inept franchise. Typically bad. The Packers started the season 0-2 under first year head coach Mike Holmgren and quarterback Don Majkowski. Early in the game against a good Cincinnati team that had started the year 2-0, the "Majik Man" was injured (ala Wally Pipp). For the first three quarters Favre was inconsistent, erractic, and exciting to watch. However, in the 4th quarter Favre engineered a magical comeback, and the rest was history.

Quote(s) to remember:
Packers OL Tootie Robbins: “Brett got hot and when your quarterback gets to slingin’ the football like that, I mean, the adrenaline gets going. Everyone on the field and the sideline had that look in their eye like, ‘We aren’t going to lose this football game.'”

Favre: “I couldn’t bear to look,” he said. “I just closed my eyes and waited for the crowd to let me know.”

This is really tight. I'd love to see a photo embedded, too.

I don't remember Tootie. How in the heck does a lineman get through life sharing something in common with 'Facts of Life' Kim Fields? Bet he was harrassed in the 80's :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
01-16-2008, 11:26 AM
One more thing before I get back to work. I'm going to keep the story, video, background more generic, but I'm adding a comment section to make things more personal. If this evolves into something bigger, others can add comments to the "master document".

The Packers had traded a 1st round pick to the Atlanta Falcons for an unknown, 3rd string quarterback from Southern Mississippi. At the time, the move seemed typical for a mostly inept franchise. Typically bad. The Packers started the season 0-2 under first year head coach Mike Holmgren and quarterback Don Majkowski. Early in the game against a good Cincinnati team that had started the year 2-0, the "Majik Man" was injured (ala Wally Pipp). For the first three quarters Favre was inconsistent, erractic, and exciting to watch. However, in the 4th quarter Favre engineered a magical comeback, and the rest was history. Favre went 22 of 39 for 289 yards with 2 touchdowns and 0 interceptions.

Quote(s) to remember:

Out to prove that the victory over the Bengals the week before wasn't a fluke, the Packers beat first year head coach Bill Cowher and the Steelers. Favre went 14 of 19 for 210 yards with 2 touchdowns and 0 interceptions.

Quote(s) to remember:
Chris Havel: "At best, Favre looked like a competent starter with a bright future. At worst, he looked like one heckuva backup. Twice Favre used pump fakes to free Sharpe for a 76-yard touchdown and rookie Robert Brooks for an 8-yard touchdown. Both times, three-time Pro Bowl cornerback Rod Woodson was victimized."

Story: http://www.packersnews.com/favre/articles/favre_24009053.shtml
Video:

Comment(s):
Harvey: "This was the first game that I saw the young quarterback with the strange name. He had me at hello. The pump fake and bomb to Sharpe was a thing of beauty."

HarveyWallbangers
01-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Another cool thing is that the Green Bay Press Gazette has the story poster for every Favre game:

http://www.packersnews.com/favre/articles/index.shtml

Deputy Nutz
01-16-2008, 11:43 AM

I'd like to make this comprehensive. Maybe post why the game/play was memorable, the story of the game, videos/photos, etc.

Thanks for the adding to the list. Keep posting more as you remember them.

BRETT FAVRE'S MOST MEMORABLE PLAYS/MOMENTS

Guides the Packers to a 27-24 vs. Philadelphia after separating his shoulder (November 15, 1992)

49-yard TD pass to Sterling Sharpe on a beautiful play action fake at Chicago (November 22, 1992)

Guides the Packers to a big 16-14 victory at Houston on Sunday Night Football (December 13, 1992)

Throws 4 TDs to Sterling Sharpe in a 37-14 victory at Tampa Bay (October 24, 1993)

Guides the Packers to a playoff-clinching victory in the bitter cold vs. Oakland (December 24, 1993)

Game winning, 40-yard TD pass to Sterling Sharpe at Detroit in the playoffs (January 8, 1994)

33-yard TD run in the Halloween monsoon at Chicago on Monday Night Football (October 31, 1994)

Throws 4 TDs (0 ints) in a valiant 42-31 loss at Dallas on Thanksgiving (November 24, 1994)

Game winning, playoff clinching TD run vs. Atlanta at County Stadium (December 18, 1994)

99-yard TD pass to Robert Brooks at Chicago on Monday Night Football (September 11, 1995)

Throws for 295 yards and 4 TDs (0 ints) in a 38-21 victory vs. Minnesota (October 22, 1995)

Throws for 336 yards and 5 TDs (0 ints) with high ankle sprain in a 35-28 victory vs. Chicago (November 12, 1995)

Amazing TD pass to Mark Ingram between three defenders vs. Cincinnati (December 3, 1995)

Throws for 308 yards and 4 TDs (0 ints) in a 34-23 victory at New Orleans (December 16, 1995)

Guides the Packers to a division-clinching victory vs. Pittsburgh (December 24, 1995)

Throws 3 TDs (0 ints) in a 37-20 victory vs. Atlanta in the playoffs (December 31, 1995)

Incredible performance in a shocking upset at San Francisco in the playoffs (January 6, 1996)

"Don't bet against me" press conference after rehab before the 1996 season (July 18, 1996)

Backhanded TD pass to Antonio Freeman at Seattle (September 29, 1996)

Throws for 395 yards in an OT victory vs. San Francisco on Monday Night Football (November 14, 1996)

Scrambling TD pass to Dorsey Levens at St. Louis (November 24, 1996)

TD pass after stiff-arming Michael Dean Perry against the Broncos (December 8, 1996)

Flip pass to Dorsey Levens vs. Carolina in the playoffs (January 12, 1997)

Guides the Packers to a 35-21 victory vs. New England in the Super Bowl (February 2, 1997)

Throws 5 TDs in a 38-32 victory vs. Minnesota (September 21, 1997)

Amazing TD pass to Mark Chmura at New England on Monday Night Football (October 27, 1997)

Throws 4 TDs in a 45-17 victory vs. Dallas (November 23, 1997)

Trash talks with Warren Sapp in a 21-7 victory vs. Tampa Bay in the playoffs (January 4, 1998)

Guides the Packers to a 23-10 victory at San Francisco in the NFC Championship Game (January 11, 1998)

Throws for 388 yards and 5 TDs in a 37-30 victory at Carolina (September 27, 1998)

Shows up Koy Detmer in a 24-16 victory vs. Philadelphia (November 29, 1998)

Shows extreme toughness in a 24-22 loss at Tampa Bay (December 7, 1998)

Throws game winning, last minute TD pass in three consecutive home games (early 1999)

Underhanded TD pass to Ahman Green vs. Minnesota on Monday Night Football (November 6, 2000)

Game winning TD pass in OT to Antonio Freeman vs. Minnesota on Monday Night Football (November 6, 2000)

Throws for 290 yards and 3 TDs (0 ints) in a 33-28 victory at Minnesota (December 17, 2000)

Throws for 337 yards and 3 TDs (0 ints) in a 31-23 victory vs. defending Super Bowl champion Baltimore (October 14, 2001)

Gets a Turkey Leg in a 29-27 victory at Detroit on Thanksgiving (November 22, 2001)

Game winning TD run caps a big comeback at Jacksonville on Monday Night Football (December 3, 2001)

Throws for 269 yards and 2 TDs in a 25-15 victory vs. San Francisco in the playoffs (January 13, 2002)

Throws for 359 yards and 3 TDs (0 ints) in a 34-21 victory vs. Chicago in Champagne on Monday Night Football (October 7, 2002)

Throws 3 TDs (0 ints) in a 28-10 victory at defending Super Bowl champion New England (October 13, 2002)

Throws 4 TDs in a come from behind victory at San Diego (December 14, 2003)

Incredible performance at Oakland on Monday Night Football after his Dad died (December 22, 2003)

Throws for 319 yards and 1 TD (0 ints) in a 33-27 OT victory vs. Seattle in the playoffs (January 4, 2004)

Throws for 360 yards and 4 TDs (0 ints) in a valiant 45-31 loss at Indianapolis (September 26, 2004)

28-yard TD pass to Javon Walker after getting a concussion vs. NY Giants (October 3, 2004)

Throws for 258 yards and 2 TDs (0 ints) in a 41-20 victory vs. Dallas (October 24, 2004)

Throws 4 TDs (0 ints) in a 34-31 victory vs. Minnesota (November 14, 2004)

Incredible performance at Minnesota in "NFC North Title Game" (December 24, 2004)

Throws for 303 yards and 4 TDs in a valiant 32-29 loss at Carolina on Monday Night Football (October 3, 2005)

75-yard TD pass (400th career TD pass) to Greg Jennings at Detroit (September 24, 2006)

Throws for 347 yards and 2 TDs (0 ints) in a 23-17 victory at Minnesota (November 12, 2006)

68-yard, triple pump TD pass to Donald Driver at San Francisco (December 10, 2006)

First Lambeau Leap vs. Arizona (October 29, 2006)

Game winning, 57-yard TD pass to Greg Jennings vs. San Diego (September 23, 2007)

Record breaking TD pass to Greg Jennings at Minnesota (September 30, 2007)

Game winning, 82-yard TD pass to Greg Jennings at Denver in OT on Monday Night Football (October 29, 2007)

Late 60-yard TD pass to Greg Jennings at Kansas City (November 4, 2007)

Throws for 351 yards and 3 TDs (0 ints) in a 34-0 victory vs. Minnesota (November 11, 2007)

Throws for 381 yards and 3 TDs (0 ints) in a 37-26 victory vs. Detroit on Thanksgiving (November 22, 2007)

Underhanded pass to Donald Lee for a first down vs. Seattle in the playoffs (January 12, 2008)

Someone needs to send this list to the Chicago Bears.

The Leaper
01-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Another cool thing is that the Green Bay Press Gazette has the story poster for every Favre game:

Strange...

They are missing the previous Seattle OT game where Harris got the pick six.

Fosco33
01-16-2008, 06:32 PM
This is gonna be Favre's 275 start (w/ playoffs). Getting awfully close to beating Marshall's all NFL record.

Joemailman
01-16-2008, 06:45 PM
For me it will always be the end zone dive at MCS in 1994. I was at the game and couldn't believe he ran it because the Packers were out of time outs. After the game a reporter asked him "What if you hadn't made it?" Favre responded "Why are you asking me that? I made it."

Packers4Ever
01-16-2008, 10:27 PM

Maybe you can turn this into an PackerRats article. This is a labor of love, and I can finish when I want. There was just too much pressure for the other thing.

Harvey this is truly a magnificent collection of Favre-bilia + other
recollections! I know it's a Labor of Love but to have found and compiled all this is mind boggling, hats off to you ! :wink:

BF4MVP
01-16-2008, 11:47 PM
1. TD pass to Rison in SB XXXI
2. TD run in SB XXXI
3. GW Kitrick Taylor TD
4. GW Sterling Sharpe TD against the Lions
5. TD pass to Freeman in SB XXXI
6. GW TD to Jennings against Denver
8. TD pass to Wesley Walls against Oakland
9. 99-yarder to Brooks
10. Underhand toss to Donald Lee on third and eight (took me back to the mid-90s)

Those really aren't in any particular order, and there are a bunch that belong up there that aren't..I just pretended to rank em because it's a top-10 list..

Packers4Ever
01-18-2008, 02:57 PM

Wow, awesome, Harvey, I sent it on to family.
Thanks for sharing this !