01-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Shut-down corner Woodson still peeved at Pro Bowl shutout
Jan. 14, 2008
By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10576936/1

BallHawk
01-15-2008, 11:08 AM
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- One month later, and Charles Woodson still can't understand why he isn't going to the Pro Bowl.

I can't, either, and maybe you'll join the club after watching Woodson make another appearance this Sunday for the Packers on a national stage. If you missed Woodson this season, don't miss him this weekend because you're looking at the best player not to go to Honolulu.

I believe it, and so do Woodson's teammates. And when the New York Giants rewind the videotape to this season maybe they'll believe it, too.

That's Charles Woodson returning a Santana Moss fumble 57 yards for the winning touchdown in a 17-14 defeat of Washington in October. There he is returning an interception for six more in a November win over Kansas City.

And here he is again, knocking the next receiver in your frame off the line of scrimmage, effectively eliminating him from a play that might have gone his way.

"The one thing I can control," said Woodson, "is what I do on the field. I know what kind of player I am because I do it week in and week out. Now, whether other people notice that or not I can't do anything about that.

"What I can do something about is to go out there and fight for my team and help them win ballgames. And if you ask any of them, they appreciate what I do."

Fair enough. So I asked. And the first guy in the batter's box was teammate Al Harris, a Green Bay cornerback who is going to the Pro Bowl. Harris was voted in as a starter, and the way he had things figured out he and Woodson would make the trip together.

Only it didn't happen that way. Seattle's Marcus Trufant was voted in ahead of Woodson, with Terence Newman as the backup, and it's hard to second-guess Trufant's choice. He had a terrific season, making a lot of big tackles and interceptions.

But every time I saw Woodson he was disrupting opponents, either by deflecting passes, knocking down receivers or forcing quarterbacks to look in another direction.

"So you think he was a bit overlooked this season?" Harris was asked.

"A bit?" Harris said. "I think it was a lot. You know what I mean: I definitely think he should be making the trip (to Hawaii) ... I think he should've made the Pro Bowl last year. I really don’t know (what happened). In my eyes, 'Wood' is the man."

In short, Charles Woodson looked an awful lot like the cornerback who was a Pro Bowl regular and three-time All-Pro while playing for Oakland. When Woodson and the Raiders parted in 2006, I spoke to a pro personnel director about the best available free-agent cornerbacks, and the first guy he mentioned was Woodson.

I didn't understand until I started watching Woodson suit up for someone other than the Raiders. Then I became a believer. He led the Packers with eight interceptions a year ago, and he had their only defensive scores this season.

But forget about the highlight film material. It's the little things he does that make him so valuable. He's a bump-and-run corner who, at 31, still has enough speed to cover any opponent and take him out of the game and who won't shy away from tackles.

Woodson's value to Green Bay was underscored in the Packers' 37-27 loss to Dallas, a game Woodson missed because of injury. The Cowboys' Tony Romo dissected the Packers' secondary all evening, throwing for 309 yards and four touchdowns and averaging a whopping 16.3 yards per completion.

The Packers never looked worse, and draw your own conclusions.

"'Wood' is one of our biggest playmakers," said Harris.

Yet he wasn't good enough to make the traveling squad to Honolulu. Woodson admitted he was bothered by the snub then and is bothered by the snub now, and he said he's tried to produce an explanation -- always with no answers.

"There's something going on I can't control," he said.

Well, I can tell you this: It wasn't the Seattle receivers. Woodson and Harris were part of a pass defense that shut down the Seahawks in last weekend's playoff victory, with no one on Seattle having a reception longer than 22 yards. Heck, no Seattle receiver had more than 67 yards for the afternoon.

That's a tribute to two cornerbacks who comprise the best tandem in the league, and my apologies to Denver. Yeah, I thought the Bronco's Champ Bailey and Dre Bly were the platinum bar, too, but not after watching Harris and Woodson operate.

"So you and Woodson are the best pair of corners in the league?" Harris was asked after beating Seattle.

"By far," he said, shooting his questioner a look of disbelief. "I'm appalled that you would ask that question. I think with the style of defense that we play that there's anybody walking around that can do it like 'Wood' and myself."

I know my colleague, Pete Prisco, would agree. For months he's been on the Charles Woodson for President bandwagon, stumping for the guy as a Defensive Player of the Year candidate.

Think about that for a moment because Pete was not alone. Woodson drew consideration as the league's MVP on defense until he missed two starts late in the year, yet he didn't make at it as one of the three best cornerbacks in his conference. Life is not fair.

"I've had national reporters call and ask about his chances of being Defensive Player of the Year," said Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy. "I think that alone tells you what kind of year he has had.

"The thing that impresses you about Charles Woodson is his ability to overcome injuries. He's been banged up throughout the season. He's just around the clock in the training room, in the meetings at night with his coaches and the limited practice time that it takes for him to play at his level. He's definitely one of the most unique players I've been around."

Maybe you find out for yourself this weekend. Maybe you don't. It doesn't matter. Charles Woodson is after a bigger and better trip than Hawaii -- another visit to the Super Bowl -- and this time he and his teammates determine the outcome.

Trust me, Woodson likes it that way.

"It's bigger than me at this point," he said. "There is nothing for me to prove other than to play the same way I've been playing. You live for the spotlight, and it will be fun. Everybody will be watching."

Let's hope they pay attention.

packers11
01-15-2008, 11:31 AM
awesome article...

I love the cb tandem...

Remember the days with Carroll??? :lol:

Little Whiskey
01-15-2008, 11:41 AM
ever notice how writers and talk show host always talk about who was snubbed, but never say whose spot they should have taken.

HarveyWallbangers
01-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Wood had great stats last year, but I thought Al was better. Al deserved to make the Pro Bowl, but didn't. Wood was close, but he just got off to such a slow start.

This year, I think Wood deserved to be there--even more than Al. I'm Al got his. Next year, hopefully, Wood will get his.

HarveyWallbangers
01-15-2008, 11:42 AM
ever notice how writers and talk show host always talk about who was snubbed, but never say whose spot they should have taken.

I think this guy was basically saying that Woodson should have made it over Newman. I agree with him. I think Trufant deserved a spot.

The Leaper
01-15-2008, 12:25 PM
I think this guy was basically saying that Woodson should have made it over Newman. I agree with him. I think Trufant deserved a spot.

Personally, I think Woodson deserved the starting spot over Harris myself.

I think the debate should be over who is the reserve...Harris or Newman.

mmmdk
01-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Woodson deserves a pro bowl - take it out on the Giants and get Packers a NFC Championship win...Super Bowl too :P

mngolf19
01-15-2008, 12:42 PM

Exactly! And they do that with every list in every sport. Man up and say who's spot they should get then.

oregonpackfan
01-15-2008, 01:22 PM

Personally, I think Woodson deserved the starting spot over Harris myself.

I think the debate should be over who is the reserve...Harris or Newman.

I agree with you, Leaper. Of the two, I would give the edge to Woodson over Harris.

woodbuck27
01-15-2008, 01:39 PM
From what I saw this season :

Charles Woodson played superior to Al Harris but I'm glad for Al that he finally gets a nod. Al Harris played quite well last season in games 8-16 and wasn't given the call. Woodson was in.

Maybe next season they both get to go?

The fella I felt was snubbed was WR Greg Jennings. Our BIG PLAY GUY.

Instead we see DD in. In a lot of cases this is a popularity poll.

Greg Jennings will be better known next season and have more confidence after we beat the Pats in the Super Bowl and he scores 2 TD's. :)

I treally believe we have such a good shot. I can certainly feel it now.

GO PACK GO all the way to the Super Bowl.