PDA

View Full Version : Going to Signapore!

Guiness
05-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Anyone been there before? I'm pretty excited about the trip :D

Tarlam!
05-21-2006, 02:27 AM
Great place. Don't pack chewing gum, it is against the law. Don't throw even the smallest piece of garbage on the street. Beat cops are everywhere and will fine you IMMEDIATELY. It's not the cleanest city in the world for nothing.

There is GREAT nightlife. The food is exceptional. The people are very culturally diverse. Mostly very friendly to foreigners.

You can trust the taxi drivers.

Only this: Watch your luggage at all times in public places. These people do not fuck around with drug couriers, and it is not unknown that these bastards plant their stash on other peoples luggage. Keep your home destiny to yourself, and look over your shoulder when checking in on your return flight.

Literally, do not pack until you need to leave the hotel. Maids also have connctions, y'know.

Bretsky
05-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Anyone been there before? I'm pretty excited about the trip :D

When I first read this, I was thinking the only person in here who could offer advice was Tarlem, who I've often noted sounds like the most cultured person I've ever met in my life.

Guiness
05-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Tx Tarlam

I knew drugs, and their trafficing was an issue, but I hadn't really thought about staff creating a problem - but ya, that makes sense.

One thing I definitely want to see - Bukit Timah, which is a rainforest park in the city. I'm also looking forward to the food.

I'll be in the port district, so I bet that'll be an experience all itself.

I hear ya B - the irony of asking people mostly from the mid-west what to do in Singapore struck me; but ya never know, eh?

Harlan Huckleby
05-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Found a supplement to your other travel brochures:
Photos of a Singapore caning (http://www.pekingduck.org/archives/000383.php)

Fosco33
05-21-2006, 05:48 PM
I was there a few years ago for a business competition. We stayed at the Shangri-La - very nice place. I agree - the rainforest and walking trips in the different ethnic areas are both good options.

GrnBay007
05-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Have a great trip Guiness!!

Row 67
05-24-2006, 11:32 AM
I was there in 1994. Absolutely beautiful country. The streets are spotless. Very modern city. Don't bother going across the straight to Malaysia- its a dump over there.