PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Z Compliments Favre and Pack Again

HarveyWallbangers
01-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Well, the back-handed variety that he's know for.

You know he does it just to get people to read his article. I'm sure he'll get a ton of angry emails, and he'll laugh all the way to the bank.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/dr_z/01/14/playoffs/index.html

In Green Bay it was another story, a snowy one. I'm not saying that Brett Favre would have been anything less than magnificent on a dry field, but the Seahawks came in fresh from a contest in which they rushed and blitzed the Redskins into oblivion. That was their game and they'd gotten good at it. So what happened? Gathering snow and a slippery surface. Rushers can't rush when it's slippery, blitzers can't blitz. Favre completed 18 of 23 passes against the 'Hawks, but they had another thing to contend with, the cutback running of Ryan Grant.

This is a young guy, 224 pounds with great stamina and balance. He killed the Seahawks on those cutbacks. Stretch the front side, cut back weak. The defensive guys flow to the ball, and when they have to change direction for the cutback, they slip in the snow. There was a lot more to this game, of course, but this was a big part of it.

Snow is predicted for Green Bay. Good for the Packers, bad for the Giants. Some teams are more skilled in operating in it.

"It's the same for both teams," New York coach Tom Coughlin said, which is like a guy watching someone fighting a shark and saying, "Well, it's wet for both of them."

The teams met in the second week of the season. Green Bay won, 35-13, but it was a one-point game for three quarters. Then Favre put together three touchdown drives in the fourth quarter. It was the dawning of a new era for him, which could be labeled, his "short and accurate career."

swede
01-15-2008, 12:06 PM
So the Seahawks were a rushing team that couldn't rush because of the snow and the Packers get 200 yards rushing.

Please remember, says Dr. Z, that cutback rushing doesn't count because it was slippery.

Logic tends to break down when all you're doing is defending your prejudices. Ryan Grant got 900+ yards in half a season by hitting holes hard and cutting back for big gains.

HarveyWallbangers
01-15-2008, 12:10 PM
It's actually quite funny to me to read the digs like the last one. All you have to do is look at his stats, and know that he's had a few down years, but this year was pretty typical for him in the interception department.

1992 - 13 interceptions in 470 attempts (2.76 interception rate; interceptions per 100 attempts)
1994 - 14 interceptions in 582 attempts (2.40 interception rate)
1995 - 13 interceptions in 570 attempts (2.28 interception rate)
1996 - 13 interceptions in 543 attempts (2.39 interception rate)
1997 - 16 interceptions in 513 attempts (3.11 interception rate)
2000 - 16 interceptions in 580 attempts (2.75 interception rate)
2001 - 15 interceptions in 510 attempts (2.94 interception rate)
2002 - 16 interceptions in 551 attempts (2.90 interception rate)
2004 - 17 interceptions in 540 attempts (3.14 interception rate)
2006 - 18 interceptions in 613 attempts (2.93 interception rate)
2007 - 15 interceptions in 535 attempts (2.80 interception rate)

He's had 10 other years in his career where his interception rate has been similar or better.

VegasPackFan
01-15-2008, 12:14 PM
10 other years besides what you are listing here? That cant be right.

swede
01-15-2008, 12:17 PM
I have to respect this guy for the mere fact that he can actually manage to be so impervious to facts and logic and still make such a good living as a sports writer.

Who else but Dr. Z can remark upon Favre's excellent pass-completion percentages this year and make it sound like a bad thing? They were only short throws after all.

Except for the long touchdowns, Doc.

But writers are never held accountable for what they write. There is no dialogue. Just another deadline coming with another opportunity to bloviate.

HarveyWallbangers
01-15-2008, 12:23 PM
10 other years besides what you are listing here? That cant be right.

He's had 10 other years besides this year, and I listed them. Maybe I should have put the list after the text, so there was no confusion.

packinpatland
01-15-2008, 12:24 PM
I have to respect this guy, Dr. Z, for the mere fact that he can actually manage to be so impervious to facts and logic and still make such a good living as a sports writer.

But writers are never held accountable for what they write. There is no dialogue. Just another deadline coming with another opportunity to bloviate.

I try so hard to initiate a 'dialogue'........I email him each and every week to remind him what a phony he is. :wink:

MJZiggy
01-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Amazing that the Hawk lost because it was slippery, but the snow didn't start sticking until around halftime...

Swede, I think your sig needs work...How 'bout something like, "We can beat the Pats."

swede
01-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Swede, I think your sig needs work...How 'bout something like, "We can beat the Pats."

OMG!

In all the excitement I plumb forgot!