PDA

View Full Version : Good observation

The Leaper
01-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Found this tidbit...which is something I certainly glossed over until I saw it mentioned. He's 100% correct.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080115&sportCat=nfl

By Gregg Easterbrook
Special to Page 2

"With Seattle leading 14-0, Green Bay came out in 1950s-style T backfield with two fullbacks, one behind each tackle, and a tailback deep. The T formation is observed roughly once a decade in the NFL -- although San Diego would try it against Indianapolis the next day. Seeing the T, Blue Men Group defenders crowded into the box, assuming a power run. As the Packers approached the line, Favre looked left to wide receiver Greg Jennings, saw Jennings had single press coverage, and nodded to him. The nod was a "hidden audible" -- Favre and Jennings were changing the play to a quick slant, but nobody else knew that. At the snap, the Green Bay offensive line fired out for the power rush they thought was happening; Favre threw a quick slant; Jennings strolled to the end zone. Sweet! Except Packers' guard Daryn Colledge was 5 yards downfield, run-blocking. Green Bay should have been flagged for ineligible man downfield. Seven years ago in the divisionals, in Minnesota versus New Orleans, the same thing happened. The Vikings came out in a power-run set; Randy Moss had single coverage; Daunte Culpepper made eye contact with Moss to call a hidden audible; Moss took a quick slant for a touchdown as all other Minnesota players run-blocked; the entire Vikings' offensive line was ineligible downfield, no flag. Having your offensive linemen go downfield on a passing play makes for a very convincing run fake. But it's illegal, and Green Bay got away with one."

BallHawk
01-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Now is this a common occurrence that referees have not been calling or is our situation just an isolated incident?

packinpatland
01-15-2008, 03:47 PM
So Easterbrook is the only person in the entire football world to have caught this? :roll:

MadScientist
01-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Was Colledge engaged in a block at the time? You can push a defender back past five yards legally.

The Leaper
01-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Was Colledge engaged in a block at the time? You can push a defender back past five yards legally.

Actually, now that i think about it, I think the OL is within the rules as long as they maintain their block until the ball leaves the QB's hand...even if they are 30 yards downfield. What technically is "maintaining" the block then becomes the determining factor. Do you have to have both hands on the defender? One hand? A butt cheek?

With a zone blocking scheme, it is quite possible at least one of our ineligible receivers moved upfield slightly before Favre threw the ball without making contact with a defender and maintaining a block. I'm not sure though...and I can't look at the play on tape again until later tonight.

However, I do think there is a penalty there...just a different one. Offensive players are not allowed to block a defensive player across the LOS from the time the pass is released until the receiver catches the ball. If they are pass blocking at the LOS or behind (which is one of the reasons why OL players step backwards when pass blocking) they are within their right to continue blocking after the pass is thrown. Run blocking downfield, however, should draw a flag for interference.

KYPack
01-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Also, that technically isn't a T formation.

In the T, all the deep backs are in a line, not staggered. But WTF, it's good article starter.

On the ineligible reciever, I think the defender has to cause you to be downfield. If you drive block him too deep, you are supposed to release the guy so you aren't downfield.

The Leaper
01-15-2008, 05:50 PM
On the ineligible reciever, I think the defender has to cause you to be downfield. If you drive block him too deep, you are supposed to release the guy so you aren't downfield.

True...but if the OL is expecting it to be a run play, when it isn't because of a silent audible between Favre and a receiver, how are they going to know to release the guy?

Lurker64
01-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Also, that technically isn't a T formation.

In the T, all the deep backs are in a line, not staggered. But WTF, it's good article starter.

Also, haven't we run plays out of this set several times this season? I recall a number of plays where we ran with 2 FBs behind the tackles, particularly in the Minnesota game. If so it's not quite accurate that the formation "is observed roughly once a decade in the NFL", unless we're trying to make up for lost time.

If you want to talk about rare formations, the Titans lined up in the Swinging Gate against the Chargers in the first week of the playoffs. Now that's one I haven't seen in a pro-game in... actually ever.

pack4to84
01-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Here is the pic from that play
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5678/jenningstdplayem3.th.jpg (http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jenningstdplayem3.jpg)
This is why I love recording games in HD, but the bad thing even after I took out all the commercials its 14gig.

vince
01-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Here is the pic from that play
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5678/jenningstdplayem3.th.jpg (http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jenningstdplayem3.jpg)
This is why I love recording games in HD, but the bad thing even after I took out all the commercials its 14gig.
This website is a product of the NFL and the NFL Players Association, so I believe the rule applies to the NFL as stated.
http://www.usafootball.com/resource-center/officiating/center-articles/23-officiating/106-featured-articles/412-the-line-on-defensive-linemen.php

Ineligible receiver downfield. Interior linemen are ineligible receivers. Team A players who are on the ends of their scrimmage line and are numbered 1-49 or 80-99 are eligible receivers. Interior lineman are restricted from going downfield on a play on which a legal forward pass crosses the neutral zone. The tackle eligible play is illegal.

Ineligible team A linemen are not illegally downfield if they immediately contact a team B lineman and drive him back provided the contact does not continue beyond the two-yard expanded neutral zone.

As the pic above shows, it appears that Colledge is engaged, but is perhaps a half yard to a yard beyond the two-yard expanded neutral zone at the time the ball is released. I'd say we caught a break on that one. Should have been a five yard penalty.

Nice pics pack4to84...

Edit: Actually I a wrong about the penalty. That would be offensive pass interference - and illegal lineman downfield, which would be a 10-yard penalty.

Here's the next part of the rule explanation (which I didn't bother reading at first) on the same website...

Play 5: Third and five on team A’s 30 yardline. A1 throws a forward pass well downfield. While the pass is in flight, guard A6 is blocking B3 at team A’s: (a) 30 yardline, (b) 32 yardline, (c) 33 yardline, or (d) 35 yardline. A6 began contacting B3 right after the snap and on team A’s 30 yardline and sustained the block. Ruling 5: Legal plays in (a) and (b); offensive pass interference (and ineligible illegally downfield) in (c) and (d).

gbgary
01-15-2008, 07:18 PM
nevermind again. :shock:

Freak Out
01-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Zebra's...gotta love em. :lol:

The Leaper
01-16-2008, 08:07 AM
As the pic above shows, it appears that Colledge is engaged, but is perhaps a half yard to a yard beyond the two-yard expanded neutral zone at the time the ball is released. I'd say we caught a break on that one.

I agree on that. For once, Colledge is blocking like a MFer and it could've drawn a penalty. How's that for a kick in the pants.

I also think a penalty could be called AFTER the release of the pass...as offensive players making contact with defenders in a blocking manner while the pass is in the air also can be flagged for interference. While the pic is only of the play at the release of the ball, I'm sure several of those blocks were maintained downfield while the ball was in the air.