PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest quote from the Giants

packers11
01-15-2008, 11:07 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/lee_jenkins/01/13/giants.cowboys/index.html

Nothing to lose, everything to gain

Underdog Giants relishing journey through NFC field

Posted: Sunday January 13, 2008 10:39PM; Updated: Monday January 14, 2008 12:30PM

IRVING, Texas -- As they walked off the field Sunday night, the New York Giants had defensive linemen, linebackers and defensive backs dropping their chins and hanging their heads. It wasn't that they were ashamed or disappointed. It was they did not have enough strength left in their bodies to hold up their helmets anymore.

"I'm tired as hell," linebacker Antonio Pierce said. "I've never been this tired."

The Giants' defense spent 36 minutes and 30 seconds on the field at Texas Stadium on Sunday. They were ravaged by a 20-play drive. They were exhausted by a 14-play drive. But somehow, the more breathless they became, the more inspired they played. They found a second wind, then a third, then a fourth. And with 16 seconds left, and half of them bent over at the waist, they forced the interception that provided relief.

Tony Romo threw it for Dallas. R.W. McQuarters picked it for New York. The Giants beat the Dallas Cowboys, 21-17, winning a date in Green Bay next Sunday for the NFC Championship. But first, they get a few minutes to rest. "I just had so much energy and excitement during the game that I didn't get tired," defensive end Justin Tuck said. "But when it ended, the exhaustion came. I really don't want to get up right now."

This game was defined by the Giants' tireless defense, which allowed only three points in the second half; quarterback Eli Manning, who has now advanced farther in this year's playoffs than his famous big brother, Peyton; and coach Tom Coughlin, whose vindication finally appears complete. But Terrell Owens and Romo still managed to make it about them.

More specifically, it was about Cabo. No one suggested that Romo's Mexican getaway with Jessica Simpson last week had anything to do with his performance Sunday -- 18 of 36 for 201 yards -- but Owens still delivered a weepy address in support of his quarterback. "You can point the finger at him and talk about the vacation," Owens said. "But if you do that, it's unfair. It's really unfair. It's my teammate. It's my quarterback."

As Owens spoke, he cried behind his sunglasses and sniffled into the microphone. It was his Hillary Clinton moment. But he lost some credibility when he added: "I've always had good relationships with my quarterbacks. I've always had my quarterbacks' back."

That, of course, might come as a surprise to Jeff Garcia and Donovan McNabb.

Owens made more of an impact after the game than during it. Recovered from a high-ankle sprain, he caught only four passes for 49 yards and Romo did not look for him in the final seconds. Asked about his decision-making -- Cabo included -- Romo said: "I don't live with regrets. I'm content in my own skin."

For the second year in a row, the Cowboys' season ended in tears. Last January, Romo bobbled the snap on a potential game-winning field goal attempt in Seattle and cried afterward. This January, Romo threw the interception to McQuarters, and Owens cried afterward. The Giants expressed no sympathy. "We've got butter for their popcorn," Pierce said.

Dallas will not feel like eating for a while. The Cowboys won 13 games this season, beat the Giants twice and captured the No. 1 seed in the NFC this season. Looking at the numbers, they were a lock. But looking at the tape, they were vulnerable. Dallas had not played up to its potential in about a month, stumbling toward the playoffs.

For the most part, this playoff weekend was a clinic in offensive efficiency. The Packers, Patriots and Chargers all won basically because they refused to punt the ball. Through the first half, the Giants-Cowboys game was more of the same. But midway through the third quarter, the Giants recognized that defense can still win in this league.

The Giants pressured Romo into an interception, an intentional grounding call and some errant passes. At one point in the fourth quarter, Romo was screaming at his offensive line. Manning, on the other hand, was mellow. He threw only 18 passes -- half as many as Romo -- completing 12 of them. He had two touchdowns and no interceptions.

While Dallas got away from running back Marion Barber (101 yards in the first half, only 28 in the second), the Giants continued to feed running backs Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw. Jacobs and Bradshaw did not bust any big gains, but they kept the clock ticking and kept Manning in manageable down-and-distance situations.

It is hard to believe that anybody, even in the Manning family, would have predicted this outcome: Peyton is going home and Eli is moving on. Under Eli's direction, the Giants have won 10 of 11 road games, prompting hope they can beat Green Bay at Lambeau Field next Sunday and become a surprise entry in the Super Bowl.

The Giants will spend the week preparing for Brett Favre and talking about why they discarded Ryan Grant. Traded by the Giants before the season for an undisclosed draft pick, Grant has emerged as a star tailback in Green Bay. The Giants might now be able to find a spot for Grant in their backfield, but they are fine as constructed.

"We'll be an underdog, and we'll be the worst team in NFC Championship Game history," guard Chris Snee said. "But we'll be happy about it."

packers11
01-15-2008, 11:12 PM
how in gods name are they the "worst team in the NFC-championship game history"

They are a good team on a hot streak, no one thinks they are a fluke, so I have no clue what he is taking about...

hurleyfan
01-16-2008, 07:37 AM
how in gods name are they the "worst team in the NFC-championship game history"

They are a good team on a hot streak, no one thinks they are a fluke, so I have no clue what he is taking about...

Good question that's for sure!

MJZiggy
01-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Perhaps he's suggesting that his team is going to get the living snot kicked out of them...you know like worst defeat in Championship Game history. That sort of thing. Nice attitude to have before a big game.

denverYooper
01-16-2008, 07:57 AM
He was hedging his bets, :lol:, and the spin doctors ran with it.

As the week goes on, their win in Dallas becomes more and more improbable and their underdog/worldbeaters/kumbaya-team-bonding narrative grows... even though the spread was one score. At least, that's what teh internets tells me.

denverYooper
01-16-2008, 07:59 AM
At one point in the fourth quarter, Romo was screaming at his offensive line.

This seems like a good way to get sacked.

The Leaper
01-16-2008, 08:15 AM
As I've said elsewhere...the Giants emptied their gas tank at Dallas.

If Green Bay comes out and punches them in the gut early at Lambeau, our ticket to the Super Bowl will also be punched. One of the keys to this game is not getting behind 14-0 again. If we get ahead 14-0, the Giants will roll over and play dead.

SkinBasket
01-16-2008, 08:18 AM
At one point in the fourth quarter, Romo was screaming at his offensive line.

This seems like a good way to get sacked.

To be fair, it was immediately after a blitzer came through the line unblocked.

The Leaper
01-16-2008, 08:19 AM
To be fair, it was immediately after a blitzer came through the line unblocked.

Yeah...didn't the Cowboy OL player basically just whiff on a block entirely and sit there watching Romo get crushed?

The Cowboys looked pathetic on those last 2 drives...and I blame most of that on Romo. He's not the leader Favre is.

Carolina_Packer
01-16-2008, 09:11 AM
"We'll be an underdog, and we'll be the worst team in NFC Championship Game history," guard Chris Snee said. "But we'll be happy about it."

I think this is just reverse psychology for him and his teammates. It's like Tressel making a DVD of what the national media is saying about his team and playing it for his guys before the national championship game. It didn't work for a W, but it's smart. If this guy needs an edge by saying stuff like this to try and disprove it, OK. Still gotta go out and execute.

The Cowboys looked pathetic on those last 2 drives...and I blame most of that on Romo. He's not the leader Favre is.

Damn Straight! He played really well during the regular season, better than most 2nd year starters (1st full year). But for the media to hype him like they do is insane. I saw a political type cartoon drawing in Sporting News last week of Mount Rushmore of QB's and they had Favre, Brady, Manning and ROMO. Again, I'm not saying he's bad, just not accomplished. Everyone wants to catch a rising star I guess, but it would be helpful for the star to actually do something particularly meaningful before putting him on the Mount Rushmore of QB's!

Partial
01-16-2008, 09:20 AM

To be fair I have seen Favre handle pressure very poorly. Let's not forget some of his 6 int games.

The Leaper
01-16-2008, 09:53 AM
To be fair I have seen Favre handle pressure very poorly. Let's not forget some of his 6 int games.

He has rarely choked in the postseason...especially at home when his team has an advantage.

43-5 record in freezing weather in December/January in Lambeau.

A winning record for his career in the postseason...which few QBs can claim.

Favre's 6 INT game is the exception, not the rule. Bringing it up to claim Favre handles pressure poorly is ridiculous. He threw 6 INTs trying to bring a team, who was on the road and that was clearly inferior to the Rams, back into the game. That situation in no way compares to the choke jobs Romo has produced the last 2 years in the postseason.

Spaulding
01-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Is it just me when I say that I thought Romo played pretty well given the play of his line and receivers. Crayton dropped how many passes and he seemed to be getting pressure throughout the second half.

I'm not sure any other quarterbacks (Favre included) could have done much better.

Romo definitely deserves some of the blame for the loss and as Carolina posted prior, shouldn't be considered in the same breath as Favre, Brady or Manning but his scrambles were pretty good and he made some good plays.

MadtownPacker
01-16-2008, 10:41 AM

To be fair I have seen Favre handle pressure very poorly. Let's not forget some of his 6 int games.Now thats a idiot thing to say. 1 time he threw 6 picks, and it was trying to comeback against a high powered St Lou offense. So the some comment is BS. All romo had to do was score on TD at the end of the gme to win. Give Favre that chance and i bet 8 out of 10 times he gets the TD.

The Leaper
01-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Is it just me when I say that I thought Romo played pretty well given the play of his line and receivers. Crayton dropped how many passes and he seemed to be getting pressure throughout the second half.

He played OK in the first 3 quarters...then when the game was on the line late, he made some very poor decisions and did not exhibit quality leadership.

Someone like Favre, Brady or Manning may not have rallied the Cowboys to victory...but they likely would've increased the chances considerably with better decision making and leadership.

Go watch those last 2 drives by Dallas and look how rattled Romo is. He is screaming at people. He got a penalty for throwing the ball away even though he wasn't under any pressure to do so. He should have been looking at Owens far more...especially the last drive, where I don't believe Owens was even a target once.

Badgerinmaine
01-16-2008, 10:57 AM

I think this is just reverse psychology for him and his teammates. It's like Tressel making a DVD of what the national media is saying about his team and playing it for his guys before the national championship game. It didn't work for a W, but it's smart. If this guy needs an edge by saying stuff like this to try and disprove it, OK. Still gotta go out and execute.

I think that's exactly right. They're on a tremendous roll and have won nine in a row on the road. It's all the "nobody respects and believes in us" self-hype lots of teams try to use to fire themselves up.

GoPackGo
01-16-2008, 11:25 AM

The 6 INT game was definately a low point for the Packers. But looking back, it was almost as though Favre was the starting QB and head coach. Sherman was worthless in coaching Favre.

pasquale
01-16-2008, 11:30 AM
To be fair...let's look at what Favre has been doing this year, and not things a seasons ago. 6 ints in one game is pretty bad, but let's face it, that was then, this is now.

Favre is being coached this time around. 17 years has room for a lot of errors in it...I would say Favre is handling pressure very well this year, especially looking at last week's game.

Fritz
01-16-2008, 11:30 AM

He played OK in the first 3 quarters...then when the game was on the line late, he made some very poor decisions and did not exhibit quality leadership.

Someone like Favre, Brady or Manning may not have rallied the Cowboys to victory...but they likely would've increased the chances considerably with better decision making and leadership.

Go watch those last 2 drives by Dallas and look how rattled Romo is. He is screaming at people. He got a penalty for throwing the ball away even though he wasn't under any pressure to do so. He should have been looking at Owens far more...especially the last drive, where I don't believe Owens was even a target once.

That's what really stuck out for me. Look at Montana, Look at Unitas, look at Elway, look at any of the great ones. One of the qualities they exhibit under fire is a coolness that inspires confidence in teammates AND is useful in terms of time management. Romo looked like he lost control.

GrnBay007
01-16-2008, 11:35 AM
To be fair...let's look at what Favre has been doing this year, and not things a seasons ago. 6 ints in one game is pretty bad, but let's face it, that was then, this is now.

Favre is being coached this time around. 17 years has room for a lot of errors in it...I would say Favre is handling pressure very well this year, especially looking at last week's game.

Great first post pasquale.

Welcome to PR!

MadtownPacker
01-16-2008, 12:41 PM

Favre is being coached this time around. 17 years has room for a lot of errors in it...I would say Favre is handling pressure very well this year, especially looking at last week's game.Thats what Im saying man! Welcome to the forum, glad you brought some common sense. :D

pasquale
01-16-2008, 02:41 PM
thanks! i actually signed up a few months ago, but there were some password issues and my account went invalid or something...i dunno.

i've just been reading for a few months and finally decided to just make another login, so i can finally bitch, praise, yell, cry, etc etc.

but now i think i opened up quite big distraction for myself at work and school :lol:

MadtownPacker
01-16-2008, 02:45 PM
thanks! i actually signed up a few months ago, but there were some password issues and my account went invalid or something...i dunno.

i've just been reading for a few months and finally decided to just make another login, so i can finally bitch, praise, yell, cry, etc etc.

but now i think i opened up quite big distraction for myself at work and school :lol:Thats all good. There is a lot of stuff going on in the Packer world so school and work will just have to wait.

Partial
01-18-2008, 01:10 PM

I would say it had more to do with the talent around them. They were clearly overmatched when they played St. Louis in the dome. Favre has a tendency to try to do too much. Here's hoping he plays within himself on Sunday.