PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Turns Down Baltimore Head Coaching Job

Partial
01-16-2008, 08:40 AM
To me, this means he is either going to be head coach of the Cowboys or the Dolphins next year.

MJZiggy
01-16-2008, 08:42 AM
I just saw the headline on NFL.com and it said he was leaving Baltimore for Atlanta this morning.

Badgerinmaine
01-16-2008, 08:55 AM
To me, this means he is either going to be head coach of the Cowboys or the Dolphins next year.

if their hire goes right, the Dolphins won't have an opening next year. He could hang around Dallas a while longer and be heir apparent to Wade Phillips, kind of like what Gregg Williams has done in Washington.

Partial
01-16-2008, 08:59 AM
After JJ's stern look and approach to the game on Sunday, I am not certain that Phillips will be around next year. Especially if he risks losing Garrett in that time frame.

I don't get what the obsession with Garrett is. He is awfully young and inexperienced.

MJZiggy
01-16-2008, 09:16 AM
The Cowboys are winning. You don't raid the 49ers staff right now...(unless you're TT--but if he hadn't done that, would they still be as bad? Hmmm...)

Partial
01-16-2008, 09:19 AM
The Cowboys are winning. You don't raid the 49ers staff right now...(unless you're TT--but if he hadn't done that, would they still be as bad? Hmmm...)

Doesn't matter. Garrett is a golden boy in Dallas. I'd put 10 bucks that he is the coac.

The Leaper
01-16-2008, 09:25 AM
I knew Garrett wasn't going to Baltimore...he's an offensive guy, and what the hell do you have to work with on offense there? That would be a disaster. Billick is ten times the coach Garrett is...and he couldn't get anything done in Baltimore recently.

He probably won't go to Atlanta either...pretty much the same situation.

Williams seems to be the choice in Washington, but there seems to be something going on there. He's been meeting with the Redskins every other day, and a deal hasn't been hammered out. I could see Garrett jumping to Washington if Williams falls through for some reason. Snyder would love to stick that to Jones.

Badgerinmaine
01-16-2008, 09:27 AM
I just read this article in the Baltimore Sun:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens16jan16,0,283081.story
They say that 1. Garrett is still in the running there in Baltimore--he just didn't say yes yesterday to it; and 2. a guy I've never heard of before named John Harbaugh (any relation to Jim?) , who is the secondary coach for the Philadelphia Eagles, may be the new frontrunner.

I'd sure rather coach the Ravens than the trainwreck that the Falcons are now.

MTPackerfan
01-16-2008, 09:48 AM
I wonder if anyone is considering any of the Packers coaches? Cowboys 13-3
Packers 13-3.

MJZiggy
01-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Maybe the difference is that M3 calls his own plays...and Philbin is a first year coordinator. And no one expected GB to be this good so they flew under the radar most of the season.

Badgerinmaine
01-16-2008, 10:14 AM
I wonder if anyone is considering any of the Packers coaches? Cowboys 13-3
Packers 13-3.

Well, they can't interview anyone from any of the teams still in the playoffs until those teams are out. I heard mention of several possible Colts coaches under consideration today for the first time now that they are out.

denverYooper
01-16-2008, 10:28 AM

Sparano just accepted an offer to HC the 'fins:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3199065

denverYooper
01-16-2008, 10:32 AM

Sparano just accepted an offer to HC the 'fins:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3199065

whoopsie... I just popped out and saw that this already became another thread... :lol:

BallHawk
01-16-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm not seeing anywhere that Garrett turned down Baltimore. He left without a contract and is visiting other teams. That's all I've read.

Man, I don't know why he would turn down Baltimore. They're the best time without a coach, at this time. Yes, better then the Redskns. Baltimore was the product of bad coaching and an overall lack of motivation this season. Bring in a good coach and a QB and you've got yourself a playoff caliber team.

privatepacker
01-16-2008, 11:38 AM
A couple of things w/ Garrett to consider:

*He was hired to be the future coach of the Cowboys.

*His play calling in games this year has been odd enough including their last lost against the Giants that JJ doesn't think he's quite ready for head coach yet.

I bet that JJ matches any monetary offer from any other team just to keep him on staff and groom him to take over as early as next year. We will find out if it is the case soon enough.

gbgary
01-16-2008, 01:05 PM
garrett hasn't turned down anything yet!!!! dolphins made their hire...sprano.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-16-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm not seeing anywhere that Garrett turned down Baltimore. He left without a contract and is visiting other teams. That's all I've read.

Man, I don't know why he would turn down Baltimore. They're the best time without a coach, at this time. Yes, better then the Redskns. Baltimore was the product of bad coaching and an overall lack of motivation this season. Bring in a good coach and a QB and you've got yourself a playoff caliber team.

You are a bit off.

Baltmore is much worse than the Skins. Skins have a young QB that shows potential. Ravens do not. Campbell or Boller. Campbell no question..at least at this time.

Bring in a good QB? Huh. You don't think they've been trying to do that since Billick first got there. Not quite as easy as you make it.

Skins have pro bowl type TE, Ravens don't.

Ogden is just about done. Rest of the line is average. Skins have a good line: samuels, fabini, kendall, etc.

WR: Skins have Moss and Randle El and some wily vets. Ravens have Clayton and mason..and nothing.

Ravens have an old defense. Ray Lewis and Pryce are on the final ride. Ask yourself..who is Jarret Johnson, David Pittman, and Derrick Martin...all are starters. None are very good.

ST: Stover...how long can he keep going..he is almost 40.

The skins job is way more desirable than the Ravens.

GrnBay007
01-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Bring in a good QB? Huh. You don't think they've been trying to do that since Billick first got there. Not quite as easy as you make it.

I hear Rex might be looking for a job.

Brohm
01-16-2008, 02:16 PM
I wonder when Winston Moss starts getting some looks.

Guiness
01-16-2008, 02:27 PM
You are a bit off.

Crackhead there knows his stuff :D

'skins are an improving team, Baltimore took it's last shot these past couple of years, and failed. They thought McNair would get them over the hump. Of course, they also thought Grback would get them back...

I do disagree, and think Lewis is still playing very well, but yes, he is near the end. Might be good on a good team next year, but he might look like Hardy Nickerson. Ed Reed is great, but can you build a D around a safety???

Bretsky
01-16-2008, 08:42 PM

Jones has a history of raiding staff's after they win

See Jimmy Johnson

Zool
01-17-2008, 02:49 PM

Doesn't matter. Garrett is a golden boy in Dallas. I'd put 10 bucks that he is the coac.

It must be a pain in the ass being wrong so consistantly.

Cowboys make Garrett highest-paid assistant in NFL

IRVING, Texas -- After looking into two coaching jobs, Jason Garrett decided to remain offensive coordinator of the Cowboys after Dallas made him the highest-paid assistant coach in the NFL......
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3200822

gbgary
01-17-2008, 02:58 PM
yeah...3 mill a year and a new title...assistant head coach. look-out wade. :D

Partial
01-17-2008, 02:59 PM
:( You're just jealous of my rugged good looks.

LL2
01-18-2008, 01:39 PM
yeah...3 mill a year and a new title...assistant head coach. look-out wade. :D

3 million for an assistant coach? That's nuts! Jones must be planning on making him a head coach someday soon. At 3 mil he's probably making more than some head coaches.

Partial
01-18-2008, 01:42 PM
I give Phillips one more year. Than it's Garrett Time!