PDA

View Full Version : Wahle to Wahle Wahle quotes

mraynrand
05-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Since there appears to be an obsession about Wahle, I'm going to collect on this thread as many Mike Wahle quotes as possible. Feel free to contribute. I think it's safe to say that:

1) Most people view letting Mike Wahle go as a bad happening.
2) Some view it as TTs worst error (although there is still considerable debate whether it was actually possible to keep him given salary cap considerations)
3) Many think Wahle wanted out of GB, regardless of money. I disagree

First set of quotes:

This is Wahle's first interview after signing with the Panthers and sheds a little light on where he'll play there and why he signed with them:

Mike Wahle
On why he decided to sign with the Panthers: I like the attitude they have on the field, first and foremost. The defense is so impressive. On offense, they like to run the football. That's what they want to do. That's my modus operandi. That's what I'm all about. I think the attitude here is something I can really jibe with and bring something to the table.

On what position he expects to play: I can play four of the five positions on the line. The feeling is that we're going to start out at left guard but we'll have to see what happens and what is the best fit for everyone. If they need me somewhere else, I'll play somewhere else. I think we'll get the best five guys on the field.

On why he didn't visit any other teams: When I found out that the Panthers were interested, I was hoping it was going to be a one-stop deal. I really wanted to come here. I think this team is going to be good for a number of years and I wanted to be a part of that. They were in the Super Bowl two years ago and last year, they had a lot of injuries that kept them from having the type of season they wanted. But it's there, and you can see that it's there. They're on the doorstep, and to be part of something like that was too good to pass up. I've been in this League seven years and have never been to a Super Bowl. I think this team, with the leadership they have from the front office all the way down to the players, will be in good position (to make a run at the Super Bowl).

mraynrand
05-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Christl blog:

Mike Wahle said he sensed that when Mike Sherman was still general manager the Packers were prepared to pay him the $6 million roster bonus that was part of his contract. But Wahle said that all changed when Ted Thompson replaced Sherman. "When Ted came in, it was kind of known that he thought guards were an expendable commodity," said Wahle.

That said, Wahle suggested that he was ready to get out of Green Bay regardless. "It wasn't all about the money," he said. "For me, personally, it was time to move on." Wahle declined to elaborate as to why he felt that way, but said it had nothing to do with Thompson.

mraynrand
05-20-2006, 09:05 PM
• EXTRA POINTS: Wahle turned popular perception on its ear when asked about the comparisons of playing in Bank of America Stadium as opposed to the historic confines of Lambeau Field.

"Actually, this place has been great," Wahle said. "Lambeau is not that loud, this place is louder." ...

mraynrand
05-20-2006, 09:07 PM
From 'DRYERMAN' on JSOnline forum:

"Mike Whale lived behind me. I believe he just hated the town or atleast the Frozen Tundra part. The day after the last game him, his wife and 3 dogs disapeared faster than a ghost. Never saw him at home except for camps or during the season."

mraynrand
05-20-2006, 09:09 PM
9-18-04

"Either something gets done or I'm gone," Wahle said. "They're going to have to release me. The base salary is the killer. I'm looking at it as trying to get through every game and try to win a Super Bowl this year. Until I hear otherwise, this is my last year here."

Today, Wahle says he wouldn't even hazard a guess on whether the Packers will decide to keep him or Rivera if they can't keep both. But in an interview with Packer Plus in May, Wahle predicted that Rivera would remain.
"There's always going to be favoritism and I've never felt like I've been one of their favorites," Wahle said. "Of the starting offense, I'm the only guy never to play 'quote-unquote' well enough to receive a game ball.

"I'm the only lineman that's never been on the cover of the program. You pay attention after a couple years of doing this."

For his part, Rivera predicted that Wahle's youth and comparable good health give him the edge to stay.

Wahle said his wife, Trina, would prefer living in a larger city, but indicated that the couple will decide based solely on opportunity and money. Wahle makes his off-season home in Las Vegas but likes playing in a city where distractions are few.

"You always want to stay where you're comfortable but (moving) doesn't frighten me," he said. "Not anymore. It's just a business, man. You've got to do what you've got to do."

packrulz
05-21-2006, 06:40 AM
Wahle is a great run blocker and it hurt the Packers to lose him but I still think the Panthers overpaid him, likewise Dallas overpaid Rivera, an old, former 6th round pick. Left tackles are rare and deserve to be paid more but guards are easy to find even in the 6th round.

Bretsky
05-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Wahle is a great run blocker and it hurt the Packers to lose him but I still think the Panthers overpaid him, likewise Dallas overpaid Rivera, an old, former 6th round pick. Left tackles are rare and deserve to be paid more but guards are easy to find even in the 6th round.

I've never bought into the Guards are easy to find belief. Last year we drafted two OL in rounds 5 and 7 that are competing at Guards and they both stink. You still need quality and the Tauscher's are Rivera's are more the exception than the norm. Hopefully we got our guys this year.

But in Wahle we knew what we had. A Pro Bowl Caliber Guard who was healthy and still young and in his prime. IMO those are guys you try to keep in at all possible.

mraynrand
05-21-2006, 11:24 AM
"I've never bought into the Guards are easy to find belief. Last year we drafted two OL in rounds 5 and 7 that are competing at Guards and they both stink. "

----

On what do you base this claim?

Joemailman
05-21-2006, 11:36 AM

I've never bought into the Guards are easy to find belief. Last year we drafted two OL in rounds 5 and 7 that are competing at Guards and they both stink. You still need quality and the Tauscher's are Rivera's are more the exception than the norm. Hopefully we got our guys this year.

But in Wahle we knew what we had. A Pro Bowl Caliber Guard who was healthy and still young and in his prime. IMO those are guys you try to keep in at all possible.

Bretsky,

If Coston starts this year, as appears likely, he will be right on schedule based on what the coaches and scouts said about him last year. As for Whitticker, starting him was a mistake which hurt the team, and probably wasn't fair to Whitticker. Saying Thompson's picks stink because, as rookies, they didn't produce, is somewhere between Wistful thinking and Tankish behavior.

Bretsky
05-21-2006, 11:56 AM

Bretsky,

If Coston starts this year, as appears likely, he will be right on schedule based on what the coaches and scouts said about him last year. As for Whitticker, starting him was a mistake which hurt the team, and probably wasn't fair to Whitticker. Saying Thompson's picks stink because, as rookies, they didn't produce, is somewhere between Wistful thinking and Tankish behavior.

My apologies as you are right; it's way too early to say they both stink.

I just used a lousy example to support I view that I do believe in.......that good quality starting OG's are not as easy to find in late rounds as many would state they are.

packrulz
05-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Bretsky, my point was the Pack drafted Rivera, Taucher, Wells, & etc. all in the late rounds. Wahle was drafted in the 2nd round of a supplemental draft. LT, QB, RB, WR, are all skill positions and they deserve more money, but G's can be had at a reasonable price so you have more money to pay your skilled players. Center is a bit of a question mark but it's interesting that TT decided not to trade for Faine. Maybe he thinks Wells is better.

The Leaper
05-22-2006, 08:52 AM
I think it is pretty clear Wahle wanted out of Green Bay...even hours after his final game here and well before Sherman's ouster from the GM position, he sounded like a guy hoping he could get out. In fact, he is almost petitioning that Green Bay keep Rivera! Wahle probably viewed the Thompson hiring as a sign that the next few years would involve a lot of turnover and less capacity for winning.

I doubt Thompson could've kept him in Green Bay barring a cap hit of $10M by paying the roster bonus. That would've been a huge error...considering how little attachment Wahle seemed to have to the organization, and the high probability that he would move on at the end of that contract anyway.