PDA

View Full Version : Tony Dungy finished in Indy

Brando19
01-16-2008, 03:52 PM
I found this on PFT.com:
A league source tells us that Colts coach Tony Dungy will step down, and that assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell will take the reins.

More to come.

Jimx29
01-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Dude needs to high tail it back home and raise his kids so he doesn't lose another one

gbgary
01-16-2008, 04:14 PM
i figured he'd leave. that only leaves Coach Mike to leave seattle. a few days before the game with us he was interviewed on nfl network and he sounded like a guy that was ready to retire.

Lurker64
01-16-2008, 04:19 PM
I believe that Dungy gave a press release in response to this story saying that his decision is not yet made. Or that's what they were reporting on KFAN.

packinpatland
01-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Dude needs to high tail it back home and raise his kids so he doesn't lose another one

Whoa, this gives 'hitting below the belt' a new meaning.

Jimx29
01-16-2008, 05:39 PM

Whoa, this gives 'hitting below the belt' a new meaning.Hard to argue it though.
Andy Reid in Philly....same/same. You simply cannot be a hardcore coach like these two (and there have been many reports that they both are nothing but 24/7 coaches) and spend 18-20 hrs every single day with nothing but football on their mind and be a Father figure that kids (and more so males) need to have when they grow up.
Getting to see Dad once every Sunday on TV, and if lucky, for a week or two in the springtime just doesn't cut it for a lot.

packinpatland
01-16-2008, 05:47 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22639330/

MJZiggy
01-16-2008, 06:54 PM

Whoa, this gives 'hitting below the belt' a new meaning.Hard to argue it though.
Andy Reid in Philly....same/same. You simply cannot be a hardcore coach like these two (and there have been many reports that they both are nothing but 24/7 coaches) and spend 18-20 hrs every single day with nothing but football on their mind and be a Father figure that kids (and more so males) need to have when they grow up.
Getting to see Dad once every Sunday on TV, and if lucky, for a week or two in the springtime just doesn't cut it for a lot.

You and I have heard very different things about Coach Dungy. When his son committed suicide a lot of players in Tampa were grieving because they knew him. Dungy had him at the practices all the time. I've also heard that he is one of the few coaches in the league who does a better job of balancing coaching and family. I don't have time to really dig for it, but that's the impression I recall from when he and I both called Tampa home.

packinpatland
01-16-2008, 07:16 PM
This is pretty much what I remember about Tony Dungy and his son.

Badgerinmaine
01-16-2008, 09:17 PM
I've heard the favorable things about his family life as well. He's always been one of my favorites, and not just because he went to school at my grad school alma mater.
ESPN is reporting tonight that Dungy has denied making a decision one way or another, and that he expects to do so by Monday:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3199685&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

If you don't mind really high expectations, boy, would this be a better job than coaching the Falcons.
:P

Deputy Nutz
01-16-2008, 09:35 PM

Sure because kids that have fathers that are high power attorneys, doctors, business men that work 60-70 hours week really have time for their kids.