View Full Version : Woodson warming up to life in GB; "Anywhere but GB"

packers11
01-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Woodson warming up to life in Green Bay

Cornerback initially didn’t want to become a Packer

By Brett Christopherson
bchristopherson@postcrescent.com.

Anywhere but Green Bay.

That’s what was racing through Charles Woodson’s head two years ago as he contemplated the direction he wanted to steer his supposedly plummeting career.

read the rest here: http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080116/PKR01/80116218/1989

Merlin
01-16-2008, 09:56 PM
You hear that a lot from veteran players, especially black players. Green Bay is a Midwestern town and isn't known for it's party life or the acceptance of minorities. Rumors are just that, rumors. If a player like Al Harris can stay in Green Bay, you have to know it's not a bad place to be.

What's even better about Green Bay is that the people don't constantly bombard the players for autographs and things like that. They let them live their lives. You can't really say that about a large market team, accept maybe Minnesota. I had the opportunity to ride an elevator with a Viking, a rather large Viking. I happened to have a Packer jersey on and he was a little pissed and even more pissed I didn't know who he was. I didn't really care, the guy was huge so I kept to myself!

MadtownPacker
01-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Haha, that crazy sheeze Merlin.

I was familiar with Woodson because raiders stuff gets heavy coverage here. I thought it was a bad idea and that Lavar was the way to go. I did say that maybe the change of environment would do his bones some good. It looks like that is the case.

I didn't know he had a problem signing. At least not like that. Glad he considers himself lucky to have made the right choice.

Bossman641
01-16-2008, 10:54 PM
“I didn’t want to come here, really, is what it boils down to,” Woodson said. “But it seemed like Green Bay was the only team that came knocking.”

When asked what concerned him about Green Bay, Woodson added: “Everything. Organization, nightlife. The whole thing. The talk is always this is no place for a black man, and that’s just how it was. And you get all those reports from people who’ve played here, and those were going through my mind when Green Bay kept calling.”

Can we please keep this quote handy for this offseason when some player signs with a team over the Packers and we keep hearing how TT blew it and was too cheap?

Some players just don't want to come to GB.

BF4MVP
01-16-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm surprised he answered the question so matter-of-factly..I'm glad that he decided to sign here and I'm glad he turned out to be happy here after all those things that players have told him. Woodson seems like a nice enough guy and he's a helluva player. I'm glad we got him.

BF4MVP
01-16-2008, 11:33 PM
“I didn’t want to come here, really, is what it boils down to,” Woodson said. “But it seemed like Green Bay was the only team that came knocking.”

When asked what concerned him about Green Bay, Woodson added: “Everything. Organization, nightlife. The whole thing. The talk is always this is no place for a black man, and that’s just how it was. And you get all those reports from people who’ve played here, and those were going through my mind when Green Bay kept calling.”

Can we please keep this quote handy for this offseason when some player signs with a team over the Packers and we keep hearing how TT blew it and was too cheap?

QFT

gbpackfan
01-17-2008, 07:50 AM

Sure, let's keep this article. But guess what? Woodson did come to Green Bay because of MONEY. In the end, a player will follow the money. PERIOD. I'm not knocking TT, it is just a fact. If a player doesn't sign with GB, it is because TT did not value him enough to pay him more. I'm fine with that, but let's not kid ourselves. Money talks, shit walks.

MJZiggy
01-17-2008, 07:54 AM
No, GBP, he came because we were the only ones calling. That was the whole point of the article. He wanted a southern team. He didn't want to come here, but we were his only choice. Now he's glad he's here. I'm glad he answered the question the way he did and I'm glad he did it publicly. Hopefully that quote makes it onto the front page of every website and paper across the country with the headline "My Impressions of Green Bay were WRONG!!" Then every player will know it's a great place to play.

Scott Campbell
01-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Sure, let's keep this article. But guess what? Woodson did come to Green Bay because of MONEY. In the end, a player will follow the money. PERIOD. I'm not knocking TT, it is just a fact. If a player doesn't sign with GB, it is because TT did not value him enough to pay him more. I'm fine with that, but let's not kid ourselves. Money talks, shit walks.

I read it again. If Tampa or Jax had decided to pony up some money, we probably would have lost out on him. That shouldn't really surprise anyone. It may change a little because of the recent winning, but overall its a disadvantage that we'll just have to overcome.

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 08:05 AM

I read it again. If Tampa or Jax had decided to pony up some money, we probably would have lost out on him. That shouldn't really surprise anyone. It may change a little because of the recent winning, but overall its a disadvantage that we'll just have to overcome.

...which makes GB's winning record all the more special.

The Leaper
01-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Sure, let's keep this article. But guess what? Woodson did come to Green Bay because of MONEY.

Not really.

We were the only team that was showing any interest in him whatsoever. If Tampa or Jacksonville had showed ANY interest...even at a lesser price...I'll bet you my house Woodson would've been in Florida.

Those critical of Thompson in free agency simply do not get the point that Green Bay is not a top choice for many players. Thompson's calls are often met with apathy, regardless of how much money he is throwing at people.

Fortunately, with the revival we've seen this season, I'm betting Thompson will get a little more interest when he calls a free agent this offseason.

CaliforniaCheez
01-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Ted had to make the deal.

Ahmad Carrol.

TheRaven
01-17-2008, 09:14 AM
I don't know that we were the only ones calling period. He may have meant that we were the only ones in the price range he was looking for. I have a real hard time believing that other teams wouldn't have signed him to some lower risk deals.

K-town
01-17-2008, 09:31 AM
As I recall, didn't Tampa Bay offer him some $$$, but only if he'd play safety, not corner?
Also factor in, we made some (empty, as it turned out) promises that he could play a bit of offense.
Or maybe M3 is just saving "WR" Charles Woodson for a special ocassion.
Like in Glendale, Arizona.
On February 3rd.
:mrgreen:

Cheesehead Craig
01-17-2008, 09:37 AM

Winning this season is going to change a lot of that perspective, as winning often does.