PDA

View Full Version : Can the Super Chargers pull the upset?

TennesseePackerBacker
01-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Maybe it's the kool-aid? Or it could be gambler in me(the pats are favored by 14). I believe, however, that the Chargers could very well beat the Pats this weekend.

First, what does it take to beat the Patriots?
1. Good pass rush, check
2. Consistent running game to control the game clock, check
3. Good ball-hawking secondary, check
4. A pro-bowl TE to stretch their old linebackers, check(only of Gates is healthy.)

Now let's factor in the weather, which will allow both running games to grind clock and defenses to tee off on the passer and press recievers. Seems like the perfect recipe for upset so far right?

Let's add in one more thing, the swagger.

The Chargers will be playing this game with a ton of confidence. They also owe the Patriots for last years humilation at home.

Honestly, I see the Patriots winning by a field goal, but the recipe is certainly there for upset and I for one will not be surprised.

p.s. the gambler in me will be pounding the chargers +14, you should do the same.

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 09:31 AM
With a point spread of 13.5, these guys picked:

Harmon - Pats
Prisco - Chargers
Judge - Pats
Davis - Pats
Richard - Pats

Carolina_Packer
01-17-2008, 09:36 AM
I'll say this; if the Chargers win, it will be one of the greatest upsets in league history.

On the road
Facing an opponent with a perfect record
Elements possibly a factor
Beat up at the starting skill positions
Facing a coach who has done it multiple times vs. a coach who's only experienced the moment as a coordinator several years ago.

Again, that would be incredible. I would love to see it. I know there are some who disagree and I'm not trying to start something, but I don't think the Pats were punished enough for their coach flying in the face of a rules against the Jets in the first game. The commisioner's office gift-wrapped a tidy little punishment in order to move on and quell the controversy. $500K is a lot of money and losing a first round choice hurts too, but they have the 7th pick next year, so they are not really hurting. The $500K is not that big a deal to someone who is rich already. What should have happened, especially when the NFL sent a memo to all the team's about this specific thing, is that the Pats should have had to forfeit the game, which would have taken away their chance at perfection. That would have been far more punative to this team. To me, since the league didn't make the Pats forfeit the game, which they could have done, the only two things left are the Chargers and hopefully the Packers keeping them from perfection. I respect their ability, if not their ethics.

The Leaper
01-17-2008, 09:40 AM
2 factors really work against the Chargers:

1. West coast bias...west coast teams that travel to the east coast to play games typically suffer a hangover effect. The record of west coast teams that made the 3 time zone leap was 5-13 or something similar this year.

2. Health...the Chargers are beat up. If everyone was closer to full strength, I'd give them more of a chance. LT will be well under 100%, and could easily reinjure himself. Rivers will have no mobility. Gates won't be at 100%. Tough to beat NE if your top offensive guys are all limping around.

That said, the Chargers defense will be the key. They are big at creating turnovers, and will need to continue that trends to stay with the Pats. If the Chargers can't create turnovers, they will be beat easily by 20+.

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 09:41 AM
I'll say this; if the Chargers win, it will be one of the greatest upsets in league history.

On the road
Facing a coach who has done it multiple times vs. a coach who's only experienced the moment as a coordinator several years ago.

Again, that would be incredible. I would love to see it. I know there are some who disagree and I'm not trying to start something, but I don't think the Pats were punished enough for their coach flying in the face of a rules violation against the Jets in the first game. The commisioner's office gift-wrapped a tidy little punishment in order to move on and quell the controversy. $500K is a lot of money and losing a first round choice hurts too, but they have the 7th pick next year, so they are not really hurting. The $500K is not that big a deal to someone who is rich already. What should have happened, especially when the NFL sent a memo to all the team's about this specific thing, is that the Pats should have had to forfeit the game, which would have taken away their chance at perfection. That would have been far more punative to this team.

I agree. And I would LOVE to see them beat the Pats. I would even if it didn't determine who the Packers play when :D they beat the Giants.

I just don't see it happening though. ....never know though....that's why they play the game!!

MJZiggy
01-17-2008, 09:43 AM

On the road

Again, that would be incredible. I would love to see it. I know there are some who disagree and I'm not trying to start something, but I don't think the Pats were punished enough for their coach flying in the face of a rules violation against the Jets in the first game. The commisioner's office gift-wrapped a tidy little punishment in order to move on and quell the controversy. $500K is a lot of money and losing a first round choice hurts too, but they have the 7th pick next year, so they are not really hurting. The $500K is not that big a deal to someone who is rich already. What should have happened, especially when the NFL sent a memo to all the team's about this specific thing, is that the Pats should have had to forfeit the game, which would have taken away their chance at perfection. That would have been far more punative to this team.

I agree. And I would LOVE to see them beat the Pats. I would even if it didn't determine who the Packers play when :D they beat the Giants.

I just don't see it happening though. ....never know though....that's why they play the game!!

No argument from me...I totally agree.

packinpatland
01-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Any Given Sunday :wink:

oregonpackfan
01-17-2008, 10:44 AM

Any Given Sunday--it just won't happen this Sunday.

If the Chargers beat the Patriots, I promise to do something totally degrading--like watch "The View" for a whole week! :)

Scott Campbell
01-17-2008, 10:50 AM
I want a shot at the Patriots.

Jerry Tagge
01-17-2008, 10:52 AM

Any Given Sunday--it just won't happen this Sunday.

If the Chargers beat the Patriots, I promise to do something totally degrading--like watch "The View" for a whole week! :)
Well I hope you get your fill of Barbara Walters and Joy Behar next week. :wink:

TennesseePackerBacker
01-17-2008, 11:06 AM
It can certainly happen, I'm predicting more of a Patriots close win, but the Chargers have a real chance.

BallHawk
01-17-2008, 11:17 AM
I want a shot at the Patriots.

As do I. I didn't mind not going to Dallas, I actually didn't want to go to Dallas. But the Patriots- Bring 'em on.

The NFL wants Packers/Patriots. If you see any questionable calls in either games it could very well be because of what the NFL wants. A Pack/Pats SB would be revenue heaven for the NFL, as it would be a great matchup for the fans. Good vs. Evil. Undefeated vs. Cinderella.

gbgary
01-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Can the Super Chargers pull the upset?

in a word.............NO!

but that's what they said about denver in '97.

twoseven
01-17-2008, 01:03 PM
The Patriots have been facing the 'can this team do it' scenario all year. None have done it. With SD's three best players on offense hurt I just don't see it, would be hard enough if SD was healthy. If we make it to the SB it'll be against the Pats. We are the only top team that the Pats have yet to face and beat this year in the league. Besides, as bad as the thought of getting spanked by NE is, doesn't anyone else wonder how we would hold up? Only one way to find out, like it or not.

woodbuck27
01-17-2008, 04:50 PM

Harmon - Pats
Prisco - Chargers
Judge - Pats
Davis - Pats
Richard - Pats

OK Prisco went with 'the Chargers»' then it's 'the Pats'.

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 04:54 PM

Harmon - Pats
Prisco - Chargers
Judge - Pats
Davis - Pats
Richard - Pats

You don't like him?

He's 5-3 in postseason picks.

denverYooper
01-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Besides, as bad as the thought of getting spanked by NE is, doesn't anyone else wonder how we would hold up?

Aye. Hopefully as well as we held up in '96.

woodbuck27
01-17-2008, 05:03 PM

Harmon - Pats
Prisco - Chargers
Judge - Pats
Davis - Pats
Richard - Pats

You don't like him?

He's 5-3 in postseason picks.

No it,s not any sense of like or dislike.

I read him a lot during the regular season and I find that he can get a little far over the top for me. His rational for picks gets a tad off beat.

RashanGary
01-17-2008, 05:31 PM
It's supposed to be 10° with below zero wind chills at Foxborough. On top of that, the winds are supposed to be gusting up to 35 MPH.

IF this weather stays, NE is going to quickly find out it's not as easy to move the ball when CB's are squatting routes and safety's are playing up because the deep ball is nullified by wind.

This is the exact type of game I think NE can lose. I hope the weather holds because I don't want NE in perfect conditions in the SB. I'd rather have SD.

Joemailman
01-17-2008, 07:01 PM
LT practices. Rivers and Gates still out.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d806103a6&template=without-video&confirm=true

I agree with Justin. SD could pull the upset if the winds make it difficult to throw downfield.

BallHawk
01-17-2008, 07:04 PM
TPB, how about adding a poll to see who people are going to be rooting for our Sunday?

ND72
01-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Just to make everyone feel better, I played Madden today (snow day)....SD beat NE 20-17, and GB beat NYG 35-21.

And we all know Madden knows best.

mmmdk
01-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Citing a source, Butch Stearns of WFXT Fox TV in Boston is reporting that Philip Rivers has a partially torn ACL.

The Chargers have been calling Rivers' injury a sprain, or "strain" of his MCL and expect Rivers to be a game-time decision against the Patriots. Stearns says that Rivers hasn't been ruled out of the game, but his side-to-side movements may be restricted. It's worth noting that Stearns isn't exactly considered the most reliable source in the business. Jan. 17 - 8:19 pm et

MadtownPacker
01-17-2008, 07:46 PM
The Chargers are too dinged up. No way they win with LT and phillip "flipp u off" rivers less then 100% and even if they where it would be unlikely. If they win it would be one of the biggest upsets ever.

BallHawk
01-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Just to make everyone feel better, I played Madden today (snow day)....SD beat NE 20-17, and GB beat NYG 35-21.

And we all know Madden knows best.

And it's worth nothing that Madden predicted a 14-10 win over Seattle last week. :D

TennesseePackerBacker
01-17-2008, 09:18 PM
TPB, how about adding a poll to see who people are going to be rooting for our Sunday?

done and done

Bretsky
01-17-2008, 09:41 PM
I cheer for the Chargers for the same reason I cheered for NY last week

IMO it gives GB the best chance to win a title.

But NE is going to blow that team out

BallHawk
01-17-2008, 09:44 PM

done and done

Thanks.

I'm pulling for the Chargers, but I wouldn't be "disappointed" if the Pats won, which is what I expect.

Partial
01-17-2008, 09:50 PM

I don't agree with that. They have a ballhawk and a physical corner. A safety that is versatile and can hit, and two excellent edge rushers with three linemen ranging from good-special. SD has a lot of talent.

That will be a good game.

Bretsky
01-17-2008, 09:57 PM

I don't agree with that. They have a ballhawk and a physical corner. A safety that is versatile and can hit, and two excellent edge rushers with three linemen ranging from good-special. SD has a lot of talent.

That will be a good game.

They are banged up and the wide receiver depth is way too great for SD's corners. The Packers would do very well against SD; I do hope they win, but I'd take NE and the points

Partial
01-17-2008, 10:00 PM
In 35 mph winds?!?!

Bretsky
01-17-2008, 10:02 PM
In 35 mph winds?!?!

BAD wind is the great equalizer; I haven't checked the NE forecast

But if it's going to be that bad you are right; it might be close.

Joemailman
01-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Sunday Forecast:

http://wbztv.com/patriots/snow.storm.inches.2.630768.html

Bitter Cold, Windy Forecast For Patriots Game
FOXBOROUGH (WBZ) ― Make sure to bring your long johns and mittens for this Sunday's AFC Championship game at Gillette Stadium, because its going to be really really cold.

Needless to say the weather conditions won't be ideal for the players or the fans.

WBZ Meteorologist, Todd Gutner says it will be bitter cold with blustery winds for Sunday's game.

Temperatures will be in the teens, and with the wind chill it will feel like they're in the single digits if not below zero.

It's not the cold, but the wind that could actually be a factor in the game.

Todd says winds could be at least 20 miles and hour if not 30 MPH, which could wreak havoc with the Patriots' record setting passing game.

He also says there's also a possibility of some snow showers at the start of the game, which is slated to kick off at around 3 p.m. on Sunday.

Jerry Tagge
01-17-2008, 10:55 PM
20-30 mph winds favors the Chargers. LT practiced today so if he can go it's a big help.

Get LT and Turner running the ball and have the wind neutralize the Pats vertical passing game and the San Diego Super Chargers will be heading to Arizona.

Hopefully it will be a week 3 rematch for them. With the same result of course!