PDA

View Full Version : NY Daily News on their Vince Lombardi

CaliforniaCheez
01-17-2008, 09:49 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2008/01/16/2008-01-16_packer_legend_vince_lombardis_saga_begin.html?p age=0

http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2008/01/16/amd_lombardi1.jpg

He is laid out here alongside a narrow roadway in Section 30, across from some cherry trees, next to his wife Marie.

Somebody has contributed a Super Bowl XXXI flag to commemorate the latest Green Bay championship, over New England. And then there is a recent addition, placed neatly between the evergreen bushes: A $74.27 ticket stub from the Packer game at Giants Stadium last September.

"It's just a small gravestone, but we get a lot of people coming here, looking for it," said JoAnn Christopher, an office worker at the cemetery. "A lot of high school football coaches come to touch it. I don't know if it really helps, but they think it does."

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Cool!!!!

TennesseePackerBacker
01-17-2008, 10:17 AM
must make pilgrimage

Scott Campbell
01-17-2008, 10:48 AM
must make pilgrimage

That would be quite a moment. I wish I could come up with any other reasons to go to New Jersey, because its a long way to go just to touch his headstone.

Jerry Tagge
01-17-2008, 10:58 AM
must make pilgrimage

That would be quite a moment. I wish I could come up with any other reasons to go to New Jersey, because its a long way to go just to touch his headstone.
You could go visit Tony Soprano.

Oh wait, he's in Miami now. Dolphins just hired him as their new coach. :mrgreen:

oregonpackfan
01-17-2008, 11:01 AM
After college, my first job in the "Real World" was working 2 years in the western suburbs of Philadelphia. I had a long relationship with a woman who lived in Montclair, New Jersey.

I totally despised northern New Jersey. It was the "Armpit of the Country," IMO.

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 11:02 AM
must make pilgrimage

I have relatives there. Would you be bringing 1 or all 7 wives? :P

packinpatland
01-17-2008, 11:02 AM
must make pilgrimage

I used to think the same thing about NJ, until my daughter went to school there. It's not what follks imagine.......not all 'Newark'. They call it the garden state for a reason, and the beaches are spectacular. And they honor Lombardi. You see his name alot.

Scott Campbell
01-17-2008, 11:06 AM
must make pilgrimage

It's very similar to the modern superstar athelete. Think of them as my posse.

:D

Scott Campbell
01-17-2008, 11:08 AM
must make pilgrimage

I used to think the same thing about NJ, until my daughter went to school there. It's not what follks imagine.......not all 'Newark'. They call it the garden state for a reason, and the beaches are spectacular. And they honor Lombardi. You see his name alot.

Yes, I only know it by reputation. My experience is pretty much limited to watching the opening credits of the Sopranos.

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 11:08 AM
must make pilgrimage

It's very similar to the modern superstar athelete. Think of them as my posse.

:D

No guns please! :wink:

BallHawk
01-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Southern New Jersey isn't that bad, it's actually similar to the Midwest in some parts.

Northern New Jersey......Let's just say unless you're driving to NY there's no reason you should be there.