PDA

View Full Version : Cold Favors the Giants

Harlan Huckleby
01-17-2008, 11:52 AM
When the temperature gets down in single digits and below, the ball gets really hard and slippery. The passing game is going to go in the toilet.

The Giants definitely have caught a break. The Packers are good in all phases, but they are a special team because of their diverse passing attack. I think the weather gives the Giants a much better chance of pulling an upset.

If it is JUST a running game, the Giants have edge. Packer run is setup by pass.

And the injuries in Giants secondary not as important if ball isn't not getting sprayed downfield.

dissident94
01-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Possibly, but a qb with the hands the size of Farve this should not be an issue.

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Possibly, but a qb with the hands the size of Favre this should not be an issue.

Yep, that was mentioned on ESPN as one of the pro's for this game...the size of his hands and his arm strength.

swede
01-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Favre had 278 yards passing vs. Carolina in '96 despite a temperature of 3 degrees.

I agree it is a concern, but I don't hold it to be as much of a factor as wind might be. I hope it is reasonably calm.

The home team is responsible for providing 36 balls at proper pressure. Once the pressure is checked, the rules don't prohibit storing the balls in a warmer between series. That may help a little.

Keeping the balls warm during the game is good advice for about 50% of the attending fans as well.

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Keeping the balls warm during the game is good advice for about 50% of the attending fans as well.

LOL!
swede O swede, you never fail to throw one in there. :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
01-17-2008, 12:15 PM

I suppose large hands could be useful here too.

pacfan
01-17-2008, 12:18 PM
The same cold affecting our passing game will also effect the G-men as well. Manning will have to do more than what he did in Dallas and TB to beat the Pack.

I think TOs and special teams will be a huge factor in this game. If the defense can pressure Manning AND we can score early, we might just pull this game out.

swede
01-17-2008, 12:18 PM
I'd reply at length but I've got my hands full here.

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 12:19 PM

Cold there? :P

Harlan Huckleby
01-17-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't think having a rifle arm is going to be helpful in extreme cold. The poor bastard at the other end has got to catch it.

swede
01-17-2008, 12:21 PM
The same cold affecting our passing game will also effect the G-men as well. Manning will have to do more than what he did in Dallas and TB to beat the Pack.

I think TOs and special teams will be a huge factor in this game. If the defense can pressure Manning AND we can score early, we might just pull this game out.

Yah yah the cold affects both teams, but I do agree with Huck that if it really comes down to terrible passing conditions it may very well play into NYG's hands.*

*no pun intended.

The Leaper
01-17-2008, 12:21 PM
I disagree Huck.

Against the Panthers in the last NFCC game at Lambeau, it was 3 degrees. Favre was 19-29 for 292 yards and 2 TDs. Clearly, he can wing it just fine in big games hovering around zero degrees.

The cold weather will also make the field much slower...which really hinders the one strength of the Giants, their pass rush. We saw what happened last week to a team dependent on a dominant pass rush when they couldn't get after the QB like they are used to. I think it will be more of the same this week.

I don't see how you can say our running game is solely dependent on the pass. We got a lead last week and the weather was poor for passing in the 2nd half. The Seahawks knew we were going to run, and we still gashed them. I think most of that stems from M3s decision to stick multiple FB/TEs in the backfield. That really allowed the blockers to open up good holes for the RB, even when SEA had 8 or 9 guys in the box.

I don't think you are giving our running game the credit it deserves, HH...and you give to much credit to the NYG defense. They got pounded by Dallas in the run game a bunch last week...but Dallas decided to get away from the run in the 2nd half for some stupid reason.

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 12:22 PM
I think what they were referring to is the football tends to become like a rock...and the Favre Master can throw a rock due to his arm strength. The WR's just need to do their job. :D

swede
01-17-2008, 12:22 PM

Cold there? :P

A little. :P

MJZiggy
01-17-2008, 12:24 PM
I thought with Grant we were supposed to be a better running team than the Giants...

Harlan Huckleby
the running game has come on, but defense has to respect Packer pass game first.
Giants are built around the run.

I don't see how cold weather slows down a pass rush.

TennesseePackerBacker
The Pack will win by 10+, feel free to quote me later, and if not i'll eat crow.

We have way too many match-up advantages in our favor, not to mention all the unneccessary hype this New York team gets from it's media. Eli throws 2 picks, Brett stays focused with his eyes on the prize and the Packers prevail in a defensive game.

Tarlam!
01-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Errrr.....I watched last week's game in WI. It snowed like hell, so, we won on the ground - only after Favre passed a couple of bullets that were slippery, yet caught.

I also watched the Giants beat the Boys in 1000 degree heat.

I think weather-wise, we should be OK.

I wonder if we are mentaly ready to reach the Big Dance, but my wondering should not be confused with doubt.

Harlan Huckleby
01-17-2008, 12:26 PM
we just have to wait and see (thank you, Mr. Obvious)

Favre's large hands could make a difference (altho I'm not buying that arm strength helps.) And you know what they say about men with long fingers.

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 12:30 PM
we just have to wait and see (thank you, Mr. Obvious)

Favre's large hands could make a difference (altho I'm not buying that arm strength helps.) And you know what they say about men with long fingers.

Actually, according to the saying, it's not long fingers, it's big hands.

As far as arm strength goes, you just have to believe and have faith blue doggie.

HarveyWallbangers
01-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Cold hurts the Giants. Manning has been horrible in cold weather. Favre is 43-5 in cold weather. Wind hurts the Packers.

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 12:32 PM

Now THAT is HOT!!

The Leaper
I don't see how cold weather slows down a pass rush.

A. Cold weather tires you out faster...your body isn't just working to run around, it is also working to stay warm. Mike Golic mentioned that this morning about how tired he would get after cold games.

B. Guys wear more clothing. The more crap you put on to keep warm, the less speedy you will be. While guys might go with short sleeves, you can bet they will wear additional layers under their pants and jersey.

C. The footing can always go down hill in a hurry. Rarely are you going to have a completely dry field when it is zero degrees...water doesn't evaporate much at all when it is that cold. That field was a mess after last week's game...and it isn't like it warmed up to 50 degrees this week to help dry it out. Footing will be average at best...and could go south in a hurry with any added precipitation.

CaliforniaCheez
McCarthy keeps practicimg indoors. They ought to have at least one outdoor session.

Practice like you are going play.

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 12:35 PM
McCarthy keeps practicimg indoors. They ought to have at least one outdoor session.

Absolutely.

MM3......layer it if you are cold. Use a few of Sherman's old bowling shirts.

AtlPackFan
01-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Can't remember...did Green Bay put the heating coils back down when they redid the field? Won't make it warmer but it might make it less like concrete when you fall on it?

MJZiggy
01-17-2008, 12:45 PM
I originally thought they did but wouldn't the snow have melted vs. the Seahawks if they had? Btw, we're getting that snow here now.

packinpatland
01-17-2008, 12:58 PM
We have a running game!
Besides that, remember that great 'touch' pass Favre threw to Jennings in the endzone last week? They don't all have to be bullet throws.

Scott Campbell
01-17-2008, 01:00 PM
I originally thought they did but wouldn't the snow have melted vs. the Seahawks if they had? Btw, we're getting that snow here now.

Did they ever keep it that warm? I thought it was just enough to keep the turf from getting rock hard.

Deputy Nutz
01-17-2008, 01:01 PM
I disagree Huck.

Against the Panthers in the last NFCC game at Lambeau, it was 3 degrees. Favre was 19-29 for 292 yards and 2 TDs. Clearly, he can wing it just fine in big games hovering around zero degrees.

The cold weather will also make the field much slower...which really hinders the one strength of the Giants, their pass rush. We saw what happened last week to a team dependent on a dominant pass rush when they couldn't get after the QB like they are used to. I think it will be more of the same this week.

I don't see how you can say our running game is solely dependent on the pass. We got a lead last week and the weather was poor for passing in the 2nd half. The Seahawks knew we were going to run, and we still gashed them. I think most of that stems from M3s decision to stick multiple FB/TEs in the backfield. That really allowed the blockers to open up good holes for the RB, even when SEA had 8 or 9 guys in the box.

I don't think you are giving our running game the credit it deserves, HH...and you give to much credit to the NYG defense. They got pounded by Dallas in the run game a bunch last week...but Dallas decided to get away from the run in the 2nd half for some stupid reason.

Besides what did the New York offense really do in the second half but score one touchdown? Because they certainly didn't move the football or eat up clock. Simple if the Giants can't pass and the Packers keep bringing 8 men in the box I will have to think our 8 guys that includes Bigby will be happy to play against the run for 4 quarters.

The Giants' linebackers are pretty bad outside of the smallish Pierce. The defensive line is good, but honestly Strahan is banged up and past his prime, and the rest of them didn't sniff the quarterback until they started blitzing. Go ahead and blitz Favre and he will pick the Giants secondary apart.

The Leaper
01-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Can't remember...did Green Bay put the heating coils back down when they redid the field? Won't make it warmer but it might make it less like concrete when you fall on it?

I believe there is a heating coil, but I think it is used now just to keep the root area warm so the grass will grow all year long. I don't think it is capable of actually warming the surface of the field.

Deputy Nutz
01-17-2008, 01:41 PM

They turn off the heat and open the doors in the Don Hutson Center. Brings the cold into play but keeps the elements away.

FritzDontBlitz
01-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Cold also has an adverse effect on a banged up team. Its hard to stay loose in colder weather, and injuries are more difficult to ignore. The Giants are nursing a ton of injuries, and their defense had to endure some very time consuming drives in Dallas. The Giants kind of remind me of how Green Bay was going into their game with the Cowboys: hobbled, worn down and taking a road that inflicted a much tougher physical toll to get to the NFC Championship, while Green Bay has a healthy, well-rested team that cruised at home against what was supposed to be a formidable defensive front for the Seattle Seahawks. I am looking forward to seeing how Plaxico Burress runs on a frozen field with a bad ankle. I am also looking forward to seeing the Giants defenders take on Ryan Grant's punishing run style. I am looking forward to seeing Eli handle the pressure of being on the road playing in the biggest game of his career.

As long as there's no serious wind issues the Packers will be fine. 8 in the box to shut down their running game. Eli is nowhere near as improved as everyone claims he is, if he was Coughlin would have let him pass more later in the game to put it away. Instead, they kept giving the ball back to Dallas and caught a break when Romo aand Crayton choked down the stretch.

Packers win 24-10.

Cheesehead Craig
01-17-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't think the cold will really affect the passing game much. I don't see the gameplan changing due to it. The ball doesn't carry as much in the cold, and thus that is where Favre's arm strength comes into play. If our WR corps had a history of drops I'd be worried about the cold, but they've proven to have great hands.

Tarlam!
01-17-2008, 03:17 PM

Now THAT is HOT!!

From what your boyfriend told me, you're even hotter.... :twisted:

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 03:35 PM

Now THAT is HOT!!

From what your boyfriend told me, you're even hotter.... :twisted:

boyfriend? since you must know him better than I do, tell him to get me season tickets for the Packers next year. :P

pasquale
01-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Possibly, but a qb with the hands the size of Favre this should not be an issue.

let's not forget about favre's huge balls....those help pick up needed 3rd downs... :mrgreen:

Jimx29
01-17-2008, 04:12 PM

Yep, that was mentioned on ESPN as one of the pro's for this game...the size of his hands and his arm strength.It's been reported that he can also "palm" a baseball with his toes :?
Can't remember...did Green Bay put the heating coils back down when they redid the field? Won't make it warmer but it might make it less like concrete when you fall on it?I believe that they are not turned on during games. If i'm not mistaken, it's because the NFL doesn't allow them to.

FritzDontBlitz
01-17-2008, 04:27 PM
I think the weather is already a factor in New York, because the media there is already doing stories about how the Giants are trying to prepare for it:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/inside-the-giants-theres-cold-and-then-there-is-green-bay/index.html?hp

I think its hilarious. Its 38 degrees there today, and they're trying to simulate 5 degrees in Green Bay. No comparison.

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 04:28 PM
I think its hilarious. Its 38 degrees there today, and they're trying to simulate 5 degrees in Green Bay. No comparison.

No kidding....and there's NO way to simulate the wind chill factor.

packinpatland
01-17-2008, 04:50 PM
I think the weather is already a factor in New York, because the media there is already doing stories about how the Giants are trying to prepare for it:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/inside-the-giants-theres-cold-and-then-there-is-green-bay/index.html?hp

All the more reason maybe our guys should be practicing outside. I know they're in the unheated Don Hutson Center.........but anything to give them the edge!

Freak Out
01-17-2008, 05:11 PM
A. Cold weather tires you out faster...your body isn't just working to run around, it is also working to stay warm. Mike Golic mentioned that this morning about how tired he would get after cold games.

This is BS...the heat saps your strength much faster...I can run much longer at a faster pace in the winter than I can in the summer. If your on the field playing your body will regulate its temp much better than if it was hot.

Freak Out
01-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Eli has a history (a short one) of playing poorly in the cold....thats why you stuff the run and force him to win the game. If the Packers play smart and don't turn it over they should be able to get a lead and force Eli to win it and the odds are against that happening. I want to see the Packers D wire the jaws of that Giant offense shut.

Harlan Huckleby
01-17-2008, 05:54 PM
When I was a lad, we built a hockey rink in our back yard and played every day. This was back in the Ice Age, before global warming, and we'd get three weeks in a row where weather didn't get above 0. Playing outside in -15 degree weather was PERFECTLY comfortable. When you're moving around, you don't even feel cold.

the only people affected by the cold will be the passers and receivers because the ball will be hard.

MJZiggy
01-17-2008, 06:06 PM
I just heard that the Giants plan to make a statement by wearing short sleeves. You didn't happen to skate in short sleeves, did you? I have the feeling they're gonna be cold and wet.

Lurker64
01-17-2008, 06:20 PM
I just heard that the Giants plan to make a statement by wearing short sleeves.

Statement or not, that's pretty stupid. What's intimidating about "your arms are colder than mine"?

Harlan Huckleby
01-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Bud Grant didn't allow heaters on the sidelines at the coldest stadium in the league.

Hell, I'd build a bonfire if I were coach.

RashanGary
01-17-2008, 07:07 PM
non factor.

The wind in NE is a factor though.

gbgary
01-17-2008, 07:10 PM
weather channel says it's going to be 2*-4* (in G B) with light flurries and 10mph wind. what do the locals say?

Scott Campbell
01-17-2008, 07:17 PM
If it helps keep the beer cold, it should help the Packers.

Freak Out
01-17-2008, 07:34 PM
If it helps keep the beer cold, it should help the Packers.

I'll drink to that!

:glug:

Harlan Huckleby
01-17-2008, 07:54 PM
weather channel says it's going to be 2*-4* (in G B) with light flurries and 10mph wind. what do the locals say?

they say, "yah hey!" and "bring me another beer once" and stuff like that.

swede
01-17-2008, 08:14 PM
:)

Bretsky
01-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Cold hurts the Giants. Manning has been horrible in cold weather. Favre is 43-5 in cold weather. Wind hurts the Packers.

BINGO BINGO BINGO

Heavy winds will damage our passing game. Cold will not. Favre and GB is just as prepared to play in the cold.

But heavy winds damage a good passing attack and can force the game into more of a power game....which gives NY a very good shot.

Deputy Nutz
01-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Like I said, I will take our defense against a run orientated New York Giants.

Although if they game plan for the Giants like they did for the Bears in the wind and the cold then the coaching staff should be hog tied to the Vince Lombardi Statue and beaten with a rubber hose.

Partial
01-17-2008, 09:54 PM

This is BS...the heat saps your strength much faster...I can run much longer at a faster pace in the winter than I can in the summer. If your on the field playing your body will regulate its temp much better than if it was hot.

I'm not so sure about this. Heat makes you sweat and extreme heat is just discouraging but I think its harder to perform at 5 degrees than 80 degrees.

MJZiggy
01-17-2008, 09:58 PM
In the heat you sweat. How much energy does shivering take up?

Partial
01-17-2008, 09:59 PM
In the heat you sweat. How much energy does shivering take up?

It's a lot more discouraging, though. I would say you use more though, to keep your body warm.

Freak Out
01-17-2008, 10:03 PM

I'm not so sure about this. Heat makes you sweat and extreme heat is just discouraging but I think its harder to perform at 5 degrees than 80 degrees.

I guess it's just the Norse in me...the cold is a pussy excuse.

Freak Out
01-17-2008, 10:04 PM

I guess it's just the Norse in me...the cold is a pussy excuse.

Eighty is still in the warm range.....where as five is a little cold.

Joemailman
01-17-2008, 10:12 PM
When the temperature gets down in single digits and below, the ball gets really hard and slippery. The passing game is going to go in the toilet.

The Giants definitely have caught a break. The Packers are good in all phases, but they are a special team because of their diverse passing attack. I think the weather gives the Giants a much better chance of pulling an upset.

If it is JUST a running game, the Giants have edge. Packer run is setup by pass.

And the injuries in Giants secondary not as important if ball isn't not getting sprayed downfield.

Interesting theory coming one week after the Packers rushed 35 times for 235 yards and passed 23 times for 173 yards. The Packers are now as much a running team as the Giants. Earlier in the year, the Packers were using the pass to set up the run. That's not as true now. The Packers are going with 2 Tight Ends, and sometimes 2 fullbacks, and not relying on the 4-5 WR sets as much. It is a very different Packer offense than the one we saw earlier.

Jerry Tagge
01-17-2008, 10:21 PM

This is why the Packers need Samkon Gado.

We could also start up Sam's Club again. I liked being President Tagge. :mrgreen:

FritzDontBlitz
01-17-2008, 10:28 PM

Heat only saps your strength if there's a lot of humidity to go with it. If its very humid its difficult to breathe, your muscles don't get the oxygen they need fast enough to replenish themselves and you tire quicker. Cold weather won't do that, but it will make aches and pains feel a lot worse than they would if it was warm. The Giants would be at a disadvantage in that case due to all the nagging injuries they have.

The main thing you always have to do in colder weather is get a decent lead early before the conditions begin to deteriorate, because usually the field turns to crap as the game wears on and footing becomes unpredictable. As fatigue begins to set in, the team on the wrong end of the score usually struggles to maintain their morale and tend to throw in the towel much quicker because after a certain point they spend more time worrying about the cold than the score.

The Leaper
01-18-2008, 07:46 AM

I never said anything comparing heat to cold. The discussion was pertaining to how the cold can wear you out.

If you don't understand the dynamic of how the body works to keep you warm when you are out in zero degree weather, then I can't help you much. In essence, after standing out there for 20 minutes, your body is going to start shutting down to an extent. You aren't going to notice it...but it is happening nonetheless. The body will transfer all energies to keeping your core warm, thereby REDUCING the energy you have to do other capacities. In warm weather, this doesn't happen...because as YOU pointed out, your body is better at recognizing the danger from the cold and adjusting to it to keep you alive.

The cold also wears you out mentally as well...something which does not happen in warmer weather.

If you think you are going to go out and run around in 0 degree weather like you do when it is 80 degrees, you are nuts. It certainly will slow down the pass rush to an extent...from both the temperature itself and the field conditions that will result from those temperatures.

If zero degrees was such a perfect temperature to run around in, then we'd be seeing draft prospects running 40 yard dashes in a freezer.

swede
01-18-2008, 07:56 AM
On several occasions in places such as Florida and Arizona I've seen the Packers physiologically fall apart due to cramps and dehydration in hot weather. You can't tough out those things. Bodies can only cool themselves up to a certain point.

Cold can be managed. It is much more of a psychological challenge.

Brett has risen to this challenge a few times in the past and he will again.

Go Pack!

The Leaper
01-18-2008, 08:02 AM
On several occasions in places such as Florida and Arizona I've seen the Packers physiologically fall apart due to cramps and dehydration in hot weather. You can't tough out those things. Bodies can only cool themselves up to a certain point.

You can't tough out the cold either swede...at least in terms of maximum performance. That's my point. Sure, you can go out there and play...but you aren't going to be at 100% for a myriad of reasons.

There are ways to combat heat as well...hydration is something that has to be taken into consideration well before game day. Players who are used to playing in 90 degree heat last better usually than those who aren't.

Ultimately, playing at either extreme reduces the effectiveness of these highly tuned athletes.

HarveyWallbangers
01-18-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm a little concerned. The forecast shows little wind. However, it's frigid with a strong enough wind to affect a passing game here in the Twin Cities, and a lot of times Green Bay will get our weather in the next day or two. I sure hope the wind remains light in Green Bay. The wind is supposed to be pretty bad in Boston on Sunday, so that could have an affect on that game.

Joemailman
01-18-2008, 09:27 AM
According to the Sunday forecast it's supposed to be fairly windy during the day with WNW winds of 13 mph. Winds are supposed to die down to 4 MPH at night. Too early to say how early he winds will start to die down.

Green Bud Packer
01-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Weatherunderground predicts 0 degrees and 6 mph winds at 6:00 pm Sunday. It's gonna be bitter but I'm glad the Pack is at home and not Texas Stadium.

Fritz
01-18-2008, 10:20 AM
I think the wind will be a bigger factor than the cold.

In addition, if the cold does affect passing games more than running games, and if you assume the Giants' passing game isn't as good as the Packers' anyway, then the Packer defense should really be able to focus on stopping the run. You stop that, the Giants are screwed. On the other hand, despite the weather conditions the Packers have a better chance of completing some passes, since they have a better QB and better wide receivers (as long as their line does the job).

Packers4Glory
01-18-2008, 11:07 AM
as the wind goes, so will the passing game.

To me the issue in just cold weather is tackling. who wants to. if its not too windy the passing game will be pretty much intact.

Freak Out
01-18-2008, 11:34 AM
The wind is the big factor...as long as it's not ice bowl conditions were fine. Favre's hands are huge and that helps a bunch when it's cold.

Harlan Huckleby
01-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Interesting theory coming one week after the Packers rushed 35 times for 235 yards and passed 23 times for 173 yards. The Packers are now as much a running team as the Giants.

I'm not ready to buy this based on stats from one game. Defenses are geared-up for the Packer passing attack first. Can't say that about the NY Football Giants.

Many people have chimed-in with the truism that wind affects the passing game, not the cold. Mostly true, but it depends on HOW cold. The hard ball is a factor for receivers.

MJZiggy
01-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Hey McCarthy's kept the balls (please control yourselves) in the freezer all week for a reason...and how many hundred yard games does Grant have to have before you'll admit to us having a running game?

Harlan Huckleby
01-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Packers have a running game, Giants are built around running game.

MJZiggy
01-18-2008, 08:52 PM
That's only 'cause Manning sucks.

Harlan Huckleby
01-18-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm impressed with Manning's play in the playoffs.

I root for Manning just because he is the underdog younger brother.

which is odd, since I was the SOB older brother in my own family.