PDA

View Full Version : Asking for a refund from an airline company

Partial
01-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Yesterday I had a downright terrible traveling experience. I am going to call and ask for a refund but I am not sure how. Have any of you ever done this?

Here is how it went:

I flew out of General Mitchell which was fine. However, in the plain I was seated directly next to a woman who was clearly too large for one seat and had her gut hanging over onto my leg for the entire trip. I requested that they move me to a new seat, but they would not do so. Realistically I should have just moved and not asked.

The plane then lands in Atlanta, Georgia. Except we don't actually get to unload from the plane. Do to freezing rain in Atlanta, none of the other planes were leaving so we were stuck sitting in the plane for 3 hours. By the end of this time, my back was stiffened up and spasm-ing. I was not a happy camper at all.

Technically, this wait caused me to "miss" my connecting flight. However, evidently that plane was delayed as well. So, I ran to the correct terminal in the airport, only to have a different flight there. I went and asked the customer service rep running the terminal, and she said the flight already left and then refused to give me any information on rescheduling or getting home, etc.

So at this point I was pissed, I went and asked another Delta person if the flight already left as well and she confirmed and sent me to a flight rescheduling area. Low and behold, when I got to rescheduling area, the woman immediately takes off and I find myself confused and overwhelmed once again.

Finally, after talking to a few more Delta employees, I have found out that the flight was actually cancelled and didn't leave already. Finally, after talking to 6 people for answers, a woman walked me over to a different terminal at the other end of the airport where my flight was boarding at the time. While it was awesome that I was in fact going to get to my destination, I did not appreciate being lied to by 5 different employees. I also do not appreciate not having any idea or any notification of them moving this flight without telling anyone. It is really pathetic when the person in the know about what is going on with the flight is my girlfriend waiting at the other airport (since our plane was hours later by this point).

So, I go to board the plane and I ask someone if the luggage movers knew about all of this because I had very important things in my suitcase that I would need this weekend. They assured me my stuff was in fact on the plane. Sweet, I thought, but it was in fact very far from sweet.

Finally, we land in Tampa and I go and meet the girlfriend and we proceed to the luggage pick-up area. Upon arriving, there are delta employees pulling off all the bags and taking them into a back room. Everyone from our flight thought they were old luggage left there from previous flights.

About 45 minutes later of waiting for our luggage, I finally ask a Delta employee where it is. He said it should have come out already. He was wrong. So I asked his partner is moving all the luggage, and they said that was our flights. And we would need to go to the luggage claim customer service desk to get it.

NICE. It would have been nice to know what you were doing assholes instead of wasting 45 minutes when it is already one in the morning.

So, we walked over to the desk, only to find a 100+ person line. CUTE. And we couldn't leave and come back since Gainesville is 2.5 hours from Tampa. So we wait, about an hour later we finally get to the desk. They say that we will have to come back and pick up the luggage tomorrow. I tell those bastards hell no, that I am not traveling another 5 hours for your mistake. After 5 minutes of negogiating, I got them to agree to deliver it to the apartment in Gainesville. They assured me it would be there today since I don't have any other clothes or anything. At this point, its about 2:30 in the morning, so I ask Delta to put us up in a hotel for the night. They refused.

So, at 2:30 in the morning, I had to drive home 2.5 hours to Gainesville. Whatever, I am alright with that. However, now that I am home today, there is still no sign of my luggage.

I am not a happy camper at this terrible customer service. Delta should have let us out of the plane in the first place but they did not want to have to pay for our disconnecting flights if we missed them so they made us sit in it. I was lied to by 7 different employees of the airline. They did not offer any sort of resolution for being 5 hours late to my destination.

Cheesehead Craig
01-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Have to remember the motto of Delta:

"It's always something."

Partial
01-17-2008, 03:27 PM
I realize they cannot control the weather, but they can do the following:

Unload us earlier since we had to end up walking across the outside of the airport in the rain anyway. It just delayed the process by two hours.

Keep their employees in the know.

Do what they say they will.

Don't lie.

Don't lose luggage.

packinpatland
01-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Last year, when going to the Packer/Patriot game, we got bumped off our connecting plane in Det. After waiting until the plane was loaded, there was one seat left we were told. If one of us wanted it we could have it. We said no that wasn't a consideration (altho I would probably have left my husband there if it meant missing the game), when it came time to give us vouchers, they would only issue one........because there was after all, one seat had been available, and it wasn't their fault that we didn't take it.
There was a father with three young sons..........they told him the same thing.

I feel for you Partial..........air travel is 'iffy' at best. Why is it, when you travel nowdays, if there's no delays, cancelations, and you arrive with your luggage....you feel like you've won? :shock:

Charles Woodson
01-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Delta is just a shit airline anyways...
My brother was flying back from san antonio last spring break with delta, and he was bumped from 3 different flights... although he did get a decent amount in vouchers

BallHawk
01-17-2008, 04:55 PM
I've been delayed a few times flying Delta. Actually encountered a luggage issue at Atlanta with freezing rain. Luggage was left out on the runway for about an hour. If you had electronics in your suitcase it was ruined. Clothes were also trashed. Although, they did end up comping people for their things it was a major pain in the ass.

However, I've never been delayed flying AirTran. Sounds weird, yeah, but they actually rank as one of the most on-time air carriers in the nation. #1 is Southwest. If you're going budget, AirTran is actually a pretty good deal.

MJZiggy
01-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Write to the company president about the crappy service his airline offers. Let him know you intend to inform everyone you know about the experience. I have a brother who does that fairly often and gets good results that way.

Freak Out
01-17-2008, 05:35 PM
I doubt they "lied" to you...they were just ignorant and were to lazy to help you. Thats BS customer service.

I learned long ago to pack accordingly and carry on everything I need. I'm not sure how long your going to be there but if you plan right you can bring more than enough for a week...or a month!

Next...if you arrive late first thing you need to do is check one of those handy monitors for flight info, operations/dispatch handles those and they can be more reliable than some minimum wage agent....or call the 800 number if there are long lines...get in the line and call...I've done that or got online and took care of rebooking way before I ever got close to the front of the line.

Ask for some kind of compensation...play hardball. You should get a meal voucher or something out of the hassle if not a free ticket.

retailguy
01-17-2008, 05:39 PM
I've been delayed a few times flying Delta. Actually encountered a luggage issue at Atlanta with freezing rain. Luggage was left out on the runway for about an hour. If you had electronics in your suitcase it was ruined. Clothes were also trashed. Although, they did end up comping people for their things it was a major pain in the ass.

However, I've never been delayed flying AirTran. Sounds weird, yeah, but they actually rank as one of the most on-time air carriers in the nation. #1 is Southwest. If you're going budget, AirTran is actually a pretty good deal.

Yep, the typical 14 year old flies all over the country..... :roll:

packinpatland
01-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Delta is just a shit airline anyways...
My brother was flying back from san antonio last spring break with delta, and he was bumped from 3 different flights... although he did get a decent amount in vouchers

Good luck trying to cash those suckers in. :wink:

BallHawk
01-17-2008, 06:42 PM

Yep, the typical 14 year old flies all over the country..... :roll:

So are you implying that I am lying about the story or my age? :lol:

Kiwon
01-17-2008, 06:52 PM
If unsatisfied Delta customers got refunds there would be no Delta.

Scott Campbell
01-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Scott Campbell's frequent flier rule #1. Do not take connecting flights unless you ABSOLUTELY have to. I travel every week, and typically get stuck somewhere about twice yearly. Without exception, it always happens on connecting flights. Take a direct flight, get close, and then drive the remainder.

Scott Campbells frequent flier rule #2. Do not check luggage.

packinpatland
01-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Rule #2 Do not check luggage.

I agree, but............I flew to Spain in Nov. on Iberia (never, NEVER again). I didn't want to check any bags so I made sure I got a new one that was 'official'. Well, I get to JFK, the agent won't let me take my suitcase, camera bag and my purse. So I had no choice but to check the damn suitcase. Behind me, she lets a slew of busninesmen carry on suitcases, briefcases and hangbags.
I really don't care what the airline rules are, I just wish they'd all conform..............and agents weren't looking for score points with the guys. :roll:

SkinBasket
01-17-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm sorry, but I hate you fuckers who try to take everything you own on the plane with you instead of checking it, then proceed to steal everyone else's overhead space and hold up the entire deplaning when half the people are going to have to run to make connections as it is.

Then again, I hate everything about people who fly and airplanes anyway, so tale the above for what it's worth.

Partial
01-17-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm sorry, but I hate you fuckers who try to take everything you own on the plane with you instead of checking it, then proceed to steal everyone else's overhead space and hold up the entire deplaning when half the people are going to have to run to make connections as it is.

Then again, I hate everything about people who fly and airplanes anyway, so tale the above for what it's worth.

That I agree with. It's one carry on and a purse if you're a girl. I saw a woman bring 4 carry on bags. Annoying.

Scott Campbell
01-17-2008, 09:47 PM

Yeah, I don't blame you. I'm definitely one of those fuckers. I get on first and definitely take advantage of first come first serve. At least I get a couple of perks for all the torture Delta puts me through.

packinpatland
01-17-2008, 09:52 PM

That I agree with. It's one carry on and a purse if you're a girl. I saw a woman bring 4 carry on bags. Annoying.

The rules said two carry-ons. I had one suitcase(small), a very small camera case and my purse, which wasn't very big either. I just happened to get an agent with a bad case of PMS.
:roll:

Partial
01-17-2008, 09:57 PM
I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the woman who let me skip when putting stuff through the scanner before going to the individual terminal.

She had 5 bins total. 1 per bag and then 1 for her laptop.

GBRulz
01-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Scott Campbell's frequent flier rule #1. Do not take connecting flights unless you ABSOLUTELY have to.

Really? So you mean people take connecting flights when they really don't have to? Wow, I'd get as far as Chicago !!

Scott Campbell
01-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Scott Campbell's frequent flier rule #1. Do not take connecting flights unless you ABSOLUTELY have to.

Really? So you mean people take connecting flights when they really don't have to? Wow, I'd get as far as Chicago !!

If I'm headed to Birmingham and can't get a direct, then I just fly to ATL and drive the 2 hours. Same thing with Louisville - direct to Cincy and drive the rest. It's too easy and common to miss a connection, so I just avoid them altogether if I can fly somewhere close and drive less than 4 hours or so.

MJZiggy
01-19-2008, 01:00 AM
And NO MATTER WHAT, NEVER, EVER check your underwear. Pack it in your carry on, hell, stuff it in your pocket, but never EVER check it.

Fosco33
01-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Dan-

You know I've been flying every week for 5+ years.... I've had my fare share of sitting next to huge people who clearly are a cheeseburger away from Code Blue....

Unfortunately, if the flight you were on was full, there's not much you can do.

Being stuck on a runway because of weather is not the airlines fault - it's the FAA. I feel it's worse when the airline knows the flight will be delayed b/c of weather but pulls back and then waits on the tarmac :evil: Did that several consecutive times at Newark (6 hrs/each) - without food or water for about 12 hours. :evil:

If you want a refund, call Delta's corporate office (find on website) - write your story. They won't give you cash - but will throw some miles your way.

TIPS:

1. Scott's right about connecting - don't do it unless you have to - and build extra time for delays. I had to connect from Louisville to LA through Dallas - if some stupid prick was screwing around I'd miss my connection and be 4 hours late. I hated that stress.
2. Don't check bags - and leave expensive shit out of it (remember my stolen camera!)
3. Keep the airlines frequent flyer cust service number available - as soon as you know your flight is delayed/canceled OR your connection may be missed - Call them! Waiting in lines is for average Joe/Jane
4. Any gate agent has severe power (get you on flights, move you up waiting lists, get you on other airlines, cities, wave fees, etc.) - DO NOT get talked into going to the reservation line.
5. Information is power - check the times posted on the monitors - but do not trust them. If you have your laptop, fork over the $10 and get info on your flight, the next flight, seats available, etc. If you know your shit, airlines don't fuck around.
6. Know the people in charge - I've gotten huge benefits from asking for the shift supervisor or calling the airport authority (when something serious goes wrong - not for flight delays, bumpy flights or sitting next to Godzilla)

Also - there are websites out there where you can meet people on your flight (generally for hooking up w/ the opp sex) - that can almost guarantee a better travel experience.

Little Whiskey
01-19-2008, 10:10 AM
I just flew down to Dallas on delta. my luggage didn't make my connection in Cincy. on my checked luggage was my kids car seat. the agent was very helpful told us our luggage would be delivered that night. we stayed about 1.5 hours away from the airport. they gave us a "loaner" car seat for my kid (which i drenched in lysol) and my bags showed up at 7 am the next morning. no complaints.