PDA

View Full Version : Sure hope they don't pick the Pack!

packinpatland
01-17-2008, 03:53 PM
I know this is old news, nontheless............

http://www.nfl.com/international/story?id=09000d5d8060d7b9&template=with-video&confirm=true

NFL to return to the United Kingdom in 2008
National Football League

The NFL is heading back across the pond.

After playing a highly successful game in London last October, the NFL announced that it would return to the United Kingdom for a regular-season game in 2008 as part of the NFL’s International Series of regular-season games.

“The game in London was undoubtedly one of the highlights of the entire 2007 season,” said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. “The fan interest was tremendous. The passion they demonstrated for our sport that day continued throughout the season, as television viewership in the U.K. has grown by 40 percent since the game. We had an overwhelmingly positive response to the event from all involved – the teams, our sponsors and business partners and of course the fans themselves. We look forward to another spectacular event in 2008.”

Details about the game -– including the venue and competing teams -– are expected to be confirmed during Super Bowl week (Jan. 28-Feb. 3) in Arizona.

In 2006, NFL owners approved a five-year plan to stage a limited number of regular-season games outside the United States. The series kicked off in London on October 28 when the New York Giants defeated the Miami Dolphins, 13-10, before a sellout crowd of 81,176 at Wembley Stadium.

The NFL played its first-ever regular-season game outside the United States on Oct. 2, 2005 at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City. A crowd of 103,467 –- the largest for a regular-season game in NFL history –- saw the Arizona Cardinals defeat the San Francisco 49ers, 31-14.

GrnBay007
01-17-2008, 03:58 PM
I was just reading the same news at USA TodaySports. The article I read added this and made me laugh. ....if you want the NFL, then don't complain!

Wembley officials weren't so ecstatic because the game, played through a persistent drizzle, tore up the field and left it in rough shape for England's crucial European Championship qualifier against Croatia on Nov. 21. The English lost that game 3-2 and failed to qualify for Euro 2008.

gbpackfan
01-17-2008, 04:05 PM
I thought I read a story last year that the Packers won't be picked for something like this. At least we won't lose a home game. Home games mean too much to the city and state. Teams that have trouble selling out are more likely to lose a home game.

FYI - I HATE THIS! Expanding these games over seas is too much. It has to be hell on the players to travel that far to play a game at a nuetral site. I would be PISSED if my team lost a home game.

The Leaper
01-17-2008, 04:13 PM
It is a stupid idea. A waste of time and a slap in the face to fans over here who actually love football.

Europe is never going to support American football in a league form. Do they come over here and stage league soccer games in the US? Of course not.

]{ilr]3
01-17-2008, 06:36 PM
“The game in London was undoubtedly one of the highlights of the entire 2007 season,” said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Man, if that game was a highlight then he must be a Falcons or Dolphins fan because that game sucked! If that game was a highlight then they are obviously only intested in dollar signs for entertainment!

Lurker64
01-17-2008, 06:43 PM
If our game at Detroit was moved to England, I wouldn't be too upset. The NFL couldn't take a home game away from Green Bay though, the regular season home games mean too much to the local economy to just take 1/8 of them away.

Probably the best idea would be to take the Jets this year, since the people of New York already get a game for one of the two home teams pretty much every week. The Rams might also be a good candidate, and probably wouldn't mind too much considering their abysmal performance at home.

mmmdk
01-17-2008, 06:46 PM
I was just reading the same news at USA TodaySports. The article I read added this and made me laugh. ....if you want the NFL, then don't complain!

Wembley officials weren't so ecstatic because the game, played through a persistent drizzle, tore up the field and left it in rough shape for England's crucial European Championship qualifier against Croatia on Nov. 21. The English lost that game 3-2 and failed to qualify for Euro 2008.

Soccer England = whiners; Croatia is a short passing team with a highly technical game and they had no trouble with the field - Croatia was simply the better team BY FAR!

mmmdk
01-17-2008, 06:53 PM
If our game at Detroit was moved to England, I wouldn't be too upset. The NFL couldn't take a home game away from Green Bay though, the regular season home games mean too much to the local economy to just take 1/8 of them away.

Probably the best idea would be to take the Jets this year, since the people of New York already get a game for one of the two home teams pretty much every week. The Rams might also be a good candidate, and probably wouldn't mind too much considering their abysmal performance at home.

That would be awesome; yup, pick a Packer away game vs Detroit :D

gbgary
01-17-2008, 07:15 PM
we DON'T need to be going to england. it's stupid that any team should have to go....well, except maybe chicago and minn.

:D

mmmdk
01-17-2008, 07:38 PM
we DON'T need to be going to england. it's stupid that any team should have to go....well, except maybe chicago and minn.

:D

...there might be oil too... :lol:

cheesner
01-17-2008, 09:00 PM
The more the merrier, I say. If we spread the NFL across the globe, expand the number of teams, think of the possibilities.

packinpatland
01-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Guess I look at it differently. The football league in Europe didn't work. These are American teams, every game played over there, means fans here aren't going to be able to be there.

Harlan Huckleby
01-17-2008, 11:00 PM
I like the idea of playing games in Mexico City. In fact, a franchise there would be great. They are obviously receptive to football - why continue to beat your head against a wall with Europeans?

mmmdk
01-17-2008, 11:48 PM
why continue to beat your head against a wall with Europeans?

...from the country that gave us G.W.Bush...

CaliforniaCheez
01-17-2008, 11:57 PM
I like the idea of playing games in Mexico City. In fact, a franchise there would be great. They are obviously receptive to football - why continue to beat your head against a wall with Europeans?

I agree. Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Rio De Janeiro are all huge cities that would more likely support the game. It would be more fun.

If the NFL wants to expand, South is a better first step. Fewer time zone changes and they would be more receptive than Europe.

MJZiggy
01-18-2008, 07:22 AM
why continue to beat your head against a wall with Europeans?

...from the country that gave us G.W.Bush...

I've been beating my head against a wall about that for 8 years now...