PDA

View Full Version : Giants WR looking to get some pay back on Bigby.

gbpackfan
01-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Steve Smith is looking to pay Bigby back for busting him up. HA HA. Smith better pack on a few pounds before the game on Sunday because Atari is going break him in half if he tries any cheap shit. Here is a portion of the article. At least he isn't bitter. To be fair, Smith says Bigby's shot wasn't cheap.

http://blog.nj.com/ledgergiants/2008/01/and_smith_ready_for_bigby.html
__________________________________________________ _____________________

Plaxico Burress isn't the only Giants receiver who's preparing himself for a physical Packers secondary. Rookie Steve Smith suffered a broken scapula when he was hit by cornerback Jarrett Bush and safety Atari Bigby. Bush doesn't play much anymore, but it's Bigby that Smith singled out today when asked about playing the Packers again.

"Bigby is the one that got my shoulder, so I'll try to get up on him and get a nice little crackback (block) or something," Smith said. "Show him that I'm here, baby."

Before anyone could miscontrue Smith's feeling's on the matter, he clarified that Bigby's hit wasn't dirty.

"It wasn't a cheap shot; it was a good hit," Smith said. "He got me."

Still, he wants to get his shots in there.

"I just have to show him I'm here. Make my presence felt," said Smith, who has seven catches for 77 yards in the postseason. "I'll be right there, right in his face. I'm not going to talk smack, but I'm going to let my play talk."

Smith said he isn't bitter. He's just still frustrated he missed more than a quarter of the season because of Bigby's hit.

"Exactly. They're the reason I was sitting out for six weeks until I hurt my hamstring," Smith said. "That's big; that's important to me - to show what I can do."

__________________________________________________ _____________________

VanPackFan
01-17-2008, 05:18 PM
For all his coverage faults, it's got to be a good sign that Bigby is a topic of conversation among NFL receivers for his hitting ability.
I don't know if you can underestimate the intimidation factor for guys who have to go into his territory to get a ball. Just ask Robert Ferguson if having a head-hunting safety makes you think twice coming across the middle.

Freak Out
01-17-2008, 05:23 PM
I'll lay $$$ down saying that if Atari lays a hit on someone like Darius did he draws a flag.

VanPackFan
01-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Probably would...
but there's an interesting question for all you armchair GMs out there. Let's assume for a moment that perfect safeties are nearly impossible to come by and you have to make a choice between two guys. Each has strengths. Each has flaws. Where do you come down?

Player one is dependable in pass coverage, assignment sure and a dependable tackler. He doesn't excel in run support and he's not known for making bone jarring hits. He rarely gets beat for a big play. He rarely makes a big play. He just quietly does his job.

Player two is spotty in pass coverage, blows assignments on occasion and is a prone to miss a sure tackle going for the big hit. But he's an intimidator who scares the s--t out of receivers and makes a difference as a blitzer and in run support.

Which one do you prefer and why?

MJZiggy
01-17-2008, 05:38 PM
I'd take player one because we already have player two.

MadtownPacker
01-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Bigby's is a crazy, reckless SOB. I wouldn't want him throwing himself at me. The Seahawks WRs looked like the didn't want any part of him either. I thought was the MVP of the game. He plays like that again and its unlikely the Giants win..

Scott Campbell
01-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Their replacement TE hasn't looked like a world beater since Shockey went down.

Bretsky
01-17-2008, 09:33 PM

Honestly I think their replacement TE has looked decent. Not as good as Shockey but not the mental case either.

Steve Smith is a smurf; he should not be talking trash on the Predator. The Predator might knock his @ss out again.

MJZiggy
01-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Predator? I thought everyone liked Rasta Blasta...?

Bretsky
01-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Predator? I thought everyone liked Rasta Blasta...?

I brought up the Missile; read the asteroid and then the predator...never read Rasta Blasta. Honestly that sounds like a frickin fruitcake.

The Predator fits his mojo; he kind of looks the part and he sits back waiting to pound the crap out of somebody coming into his area.

FritzDontBlitz
01-17-2008, 10:41 PM
I'll lay $$$ down saying that if Atari lays a hit on someone like Darius did he draws a flag.

Bigby doesn't clothesline receivers like Darius did, that's been illegal for years.

I would like to offer up "Pong" and "Space Invader" as suggestions for a Bigby nickname. One being what he does and the other being the sound he makes when he arrives. Sorta.

Scott Campbell
01-17-2008, 10:53 PM
I thought Al Harris was already the Predator. Or was that McKinzie?

pasquale
01-17-2008, 11:01 PM
everyone i know has been calling Harris the predator for a few years now.

Jerry Tagge
01-17-2008, 11:02 PM
This guy will want as much of Bigby as the Seahawks did after he put those hits on Pollard and Engram.

Steve Smith better realize he isn't playing Stanford and Washington State anymore.

Freak Out
01-17-2008, 11:20 PM

Bigby doesn't clothesline receivers like Darius did, that's been illegal for years.

Darius wasn't flagged when he took Fergy out.

Partial
01-17-2008, 11:37 PM

Blake?

oregonpackfan
01-17-2008, 11:38 PM

Their replacement tight end is rookie Kevin Boss out of Western Oregon. UWO is a Division III school.

Actually, I have watched Boss play. He certainly does not have the talent of Jeremy Shockey but considering he is a rookie coming out of a Division III school, he has done relatively well.

Partial
01-17-2008, 11:39 PM
He made a big time grab before half time last week. For a rook I think he's done quite well.

pasquale
01-18-2008, 12:09 AM

Blake?

pfffft

mission
01-18-2008, 12:50 AM
im with jerry on this one. yeah the guy wasnt disrespectful to bigby but i cant imagine any good that can come from even having your name (lil guy) next to bigby's name in a story before your game. letting him know you're there on a crackback ?? haha ya right.

i guarantee that bigs is lickin his chops over this not because it necessarily warrants a reply but just because he's a football player... and that's what football players get excited about. lighting someone up - make no mistake.

Partial
01-18-2008, 06:47 AM

Blake?

pfffft

Man I am good. Pasquale? I don't get jokes.

SkinBasket
01-18-2008, 07:39 AM
I think it's more likely that the Giants see Bigby as a target for someone they can get into his head before the game even starts, and this is what this is about. Get the young kid who's had trouble controlling himself in the past thinking about one player instead of the game going on around him.

If it works and Bigby's looking to hit Smith again, I can imagine the Giants pump faking a shallow cross to Smith to get Bigby to bite only to go deep over his head.

The Giants obviously don't have a lot of confidence in their ability to win the game on the field. This is just the beginning of trying to turn this into a grudge match. First the mental dirty play, then the physical dirty play.

The Leaper
01-18-2008, 07:56 AM

You need one of each...that has always been my viewpoint. That is the problem we have against great passing offenses...we don't have a player one in the starting lineup.

The Leaper
01-18-2008, 07:57 AM
I think it's more likely that the Giants see Bigby as a target for someone they can get into his head before the game even starts, and this is what this is about. Get the young kid who's had trouble controlling himself in the past thinking about one player instead of the game going on around him.

Ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner.

SkinBasket
01-18-2008, 08:09 AM

Ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner.

I expect my prize to be delivered promptly.

RashanGary
01-18-2008, 08:15 AM

If it works and Bigby's looking to hit Smith again, I can imagine the Giants pump faking a shallow cross to Smith to get Bigby to bite only to go deep over his head.

The Giants obviously don't have a lot of confidence in their ability to win the game on the field. This is just the beginning of trying to turn this into a grudge match. First the mental dirty play, then the physical dirty play.

Yep, that's exactly what I thought. Go listen to Bigby's lockerroom conference. He seemed pretty stable and not in the least bit out to prove anything. I sure hope that stays the case.

SkinBasket
01-18-2008, 08:23 AM
I sure hope that stays the case.

I think you mean stays the course.

I hope he does too, but they've certainly picked the best player to try this on. It'll be a good test of whether he's matured mentally or not.

The Leaper
01-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Barnett needs to refrain from riff-raff as well.

Tarlam!
01-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Whoa! The "Gathering" Rats know, I aint a small dude. But I would not be calling out Bigby. Shit, Bigby would bury me ina blink of an eye.

Smith has to have some balls...

Fritz
01-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Probably would...
but there's an interesting question for all you armchair GMs out there. Let's assume for a moment that perfect safeties are nearly impossible to come by and you have to make a choice between two guys. Each has strengths. Each has flaws. Where do you come down?

Player one is dependable in pass coverage, assignment sure and a dependable tackler. He doesn't excel in run support and he's not known for making bone jarring hits. He rarely gets beat for a big play. He rarely makes a big play. He just quietly does his job.

Player two is spotty in pass coverage, blows assignments on occasion and is a prone to miss a sure tackle going for the big hit. But he's an intimidator who scares the s--t out of receivers and makes a difference as a blitzer and in run support.

I'll take player one. If someone is going to be an intimidator and gambler, it ought to be a corner. They call the other position "safety" for a reason.

oregonpackfan
01-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Barnett needs to refrain from riff-raff as well.

Agreed. Barnett does way too much trash-talking and celebrating. He needs to remember he is the defensive captain.