View Full Version : Lori Nickel on Minicamp : Gardner has good practices

motife
05-21-2006, 07:20 AM
Notes: Davenport will sit until training camp
Coaches won't rush him back to field
By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com
Posted: May 20, 2006
Green Bay - It's been seven months of "hurry up and wait" for Green Bay Packers running back Najeh Davenport.

After suffering a broken ankle in the New Orleans game on Oct. 9 last season, Davenport immediately had surgery. He rushed to get back to where he could at least run in time for the free agency period, but then was re-signed to the Packers anyway in March. And now he's back to the kind of rehabilitation where he has to hop on one foot to strengthen the ankle and convince the trainers he's OK.

And so he waits.

With a 5-inch scar up the side of his foot and enough scar tissue to leave the ankle a little swollen, Davenport still had hoped he would be able to play in the Packers' second minicamp of the Mike McCarthy era this weekend.

Instead, he won't be ready until training camp sometime in late July or early August.

"A lot of guys want to rush back," said offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski. "But he's been here for the whole off-season program. He has an idea of what we're trying to get done out there. We're playing it on the safe side. Why would you lose a guy in shorts?"

But knowing what this new staff is planning is exactly why Davenport is so eager to get back on the field. For one, he likes the zone-blocking scheme this staff will use apparently more often than in Davenport's previous four years in Green Bay.

"I'm a big back, and this is a one-cut lead type thing," said Davenport. "So one cut will do me just fine. Nine times out of 10, my damage is going to come straight ahead, downfield, that's when I'm most powerful. I don't have to follow a guard here, follow a guard there, I just hit it and see what I need to see and just go."

Davenport also is eager to get back because he has been promised more involvement in the offense. Davenport has always been Ahman Green's backup, even when he has been healthy, which has been spotty so far in his career.

But the complementary role to Green will change for Davenport if both he and Green, recovering from a torn tendon in his thigh, come back fully from their injuries.

"They say we're going to do a lot of running," Davenport said.

That doesn't necessarily mean a multiple-back system like they had in Pittsburgh, sharing snaps. The Packers will train Davenport at fullback.

"Maybe both of them will be in the backfield at the same time," Jagodzinski said. "We can do that. In this scheme, the fullback position has always been able to go back and play tailback because of what we do. I think he can do both. He's athletic enough to do it."

The Packers like that Davenport is big enough to block at fullback. They also like him as a running back because he's such a big load for linebackers to bring down. Davenport said he's above his ideal weight of 242 pounds, but that will come off when he can run more consistently.

Roll call
Wide receiver Rod Gardner and fullback William Henderson rejoined the team for both practices Saturday after missing both Friday. Green was also back on the field to watch the afternoon practice after being absent the day before.

All of the other no-shows were the same as reported from the Friday practices, either due to excused absences, NFL Europe or injury. The exceptions were defensive tackle Kenderick Allen, who sat out Saturday with an injured Achilles' heel, and linebacker Byron Santiago, who hurt his back.

Safety Marquand Manuel (groin) again participated in individual drills but not the team portion of practice.

With cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris absent, Ahmad Carroll got more work and played some with the first defense. He came back despite an ankle injury that caused him to miss 1 1/2 of the practices Friday.

"He's maturing. He fought through it," said defensive coordinator Bob Sanders. "You've got to appreciate that effort."

Gardner makes a case
Gardner was the highlight in some ways of an otherwise rough morning practice by catching some impressive passes from Aaron Rodgers. Where a lot of veterans can probably skip this camp without missing much, Gardner is in a fight for the No. 2 receiver job opposite Donald Driver. Robert Ferguson is the other challenger.

"(Gardner) looked good today," McCarthy said. "He got deep a few times; he looks like he's in good shape. I thought he had two good practices."

McCarthy would like to settle on one person for the No. 2 spot by the start of the season but isn't dead-set against a rotation, either.

"Everybody has a role on this football team, so if it's a clear-cut No. 2, great," McCarthy said. "If it's not, we'll use a combination of three people to play the No. 2 position."

Rodgers play
It might have looked to the 200 or so fans who watched the outdoor morning practice that Rodgers was struggling. He overshot a few receivers and got picked off once by Marviel Underwood.

"This morning's practice was the first time (for) third-down situations," McCarthy said. "That's the first time we did this morning, and I think that's a natural progression. We repeated it this afternoon. I think the practice as a whole was better this afternoon."

Rodgers did complete more passes in the afternoon indoor practice.

motife
05-21-2006, 07:22 AM
Lots of questions to Mike McCarthy about Abdul Hodge. McCarthy said that Hodge is working at both middle and outside LB now. Said there are a lot of different reads at OLB and Hodge has a comfort level in the middle. Waved off questions about whether they'd consider moving Nick Barnett outside.

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/video/2006_non_game_video/

Tarlam!
05-21-2006, 08:08 AM
Waved off questions about whether they'd consider moving Nick Barnett outside.

I didn't get this impression. He said it's premature to answer that question, and I agree with him....

The Leaper
05-22-2006, 08:14 AM
I've mentioned it before, and I will mention it again...

If Davenport can remain healthy, he is going to have a very solid year for the Packers IMO. Granted, staying healthy seems to be impossible for this guy...but I think he is the perfect power back for this running system. He is quick enough to make an initial cut and then power ahead for 4-5 yards and really wear out the defense. I also think he is less likely to fumble in this kind of system...many of his fumbles seemed to happen out on the edges if my memory serves me correctly.

Gado probably isn't ready to step in full time and be a major contributor, and Green is a massive question mark. I wouldn't be surprised if Davenport is the starter come week one.

MadtownPacker
05-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Good to know Gardner is impressing. Then Jennings can be the #3 and Fergie can stay #4/STs where he belongs.