PDA

View Full Version : Gado Struggling?

chain_gang
05-21-2006, 08:15 AM
Caught this on Packernews.com

RANT: By running back Samkon Gado’s own admission, he is struggling to grasp the Packers’ new zone-blocking scheme. I suspect he will be OK in time, and in his defense, a makeshift offensive line that included Will Whitticker at left tackle isn’t going to conjure images of coach Vince Lombardi’s power sweep.

Here's the link

http://greenbaypressgazette.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_26109453.shtml

Hopefully he can grasp it. Thought I remember reading somewhere he had the zone blocking scheme at Liberty and couldn't grasp it. That's why he was a third string back.

Bretsky
05-21-2006, 10:58 AM
This is another one I'll either be right on or very wrong.

I think Gado is going to have a lot of hard times running in this offense.

Patler
05-21-2006, 11:08 AM

Wasn't there a story that stated he did not start in college because they were a zone blocking team and he never got a good feel for running in their offense?

Bretsky
05-21-2006, 11:16 AM

Wasn't there a story that stated he did not start in college because they were a zone blocking team and he never got a good feel for running in their offense?

Yes there was; a while back.

And last year I heard commentators note that when there was a clear hole Gado used his speed to hit it hard and break away....we saw some great runs like that and he can certainly break some tackles............but in speaking with the coaches Packer announcers still noted Gado still has problems in choosing the right holes

So when I heard Zone Blocking, my first though was Gado will struggle.

Harlan Huckleby
05-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Look at how much Gado improved week-to-week last season in his decision making! I don't care if he has trouble now, he's clearly demonstrated his intelligence and ability to adapt.

It just takes repetitions to figure out the new scheme. And Gado will not be lacking for repetitions in training camp! Gado will be fine.

mmmdk
05-21-2006, 03:09 PM
I agree with Harlan; Gado will bust his a@@ to get this down but there's no sure thing. I, for sure, am more worried about Green...will he be able to play? When will he play? Does Ahman Green "get" it (zone blocking scheme)? Green will hardly have had any training in the new running scheme.

Peace, Michael :cool:

Rastak
05-21-2006, 04:34 PM
I agree with Harlan; Gado will bust his a@@ to get this down but there's no sure thing. I, for sure, am more worried about Green...will he be able to play? When will he play? Does Ahman Green "get" it (zone blocking scheme)? Green will hardly have had any training in the new running scheme.

Peace, Michael :cool:

Hey Michael, welcome to the forum! Good to see you....

RashanGary
05-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Gado looks good physically. He wasn't in great shape last season IMO. This year he looks really strong. He'll probably lose some weight through training camp but it does look like he has a few extra pounds of fat. By the start of the season Gado should be in tip top condition for football.

I always noticed Gado took weird running lanes but he always seemed to get a few yards. It might not be by design but Gado knows how to chug out yards. There is more than one way to pick up 4 and Gado is one of those guys that seems to march to the beat of a different drum.

I'm a lot more worried about Fergi/Gardner/Jennings than I am about Gado.
Fergi has bad ball skills that don't seem to be improving. Gardner looks to me like he carries bad weight. He has too much upper body and looks to have a pretty high body fat % for a WR. Jennings is a rookie but looks to be the best of the 3. I like Jennings a lot more than I liked Murphy last year. Murphy was more of a strait ahead guy and Jennings can go strait ahead just as well but he's double as quick and has top notch ball skills where as Murphy's where average IMO.

My next biggest worry is OG. I think Colledge will be fine, but I worry about the other G. I wish Whittaker was down 20 LBS because I think physically he would be ready this year. Too bad he can't just put down the damn ice cream.

gbpackfan
05-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Gado has played in this type of scheme before. On top of that, he is damn smart and a hard worker, he will be just fine. The real test will come when the pads go on.

ND72
05-21-2006, 05:37 PM
yeah gado played in this scheme before, but he struggled in it in college as well. And the "damn smart" part...don't assume cause of his medical background that he's a football genius. I played with a pre-med guy in college, he could identify every part of hte body without question, but couldn't understand how to do anything on the footblal field. On the other hand, i've seen guys sit and disect teams and plays like no tomorrow, but couldn't pass a single class.

I said it weeks ago, Gado will struggle in this offense. It was well stated in his rookie bio. He never ran the ball in Liberty's zone game, he came in on short yardage and goalline where there was no zone, just straight ahead blocking and trapping...aka, Sherman's offense.

HarveyWallbangers
05-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Gado might not be the real deal, but I doubt the scheme is going to be the reason for his struggles.

Harlan Huckleby
05-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Gado looks good physically. He wasn't in great shape last season IMO. This year he looks really strong.

FavreChild's cookin' has put him in fine form. The transforming power of a good woman can never be underestimated.

GrnBay007
05-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Speaking of Gado......when is he going to make his guest appearance here? FC?? :D

Guiness
05-21-2006, 11:20 PM
yeah gado played in this scheme before, but he struggled in it in college as well. And the "damn smart" part...don't assume cause of his medical background that he's a football genius. I played with a pre-med guy in college, he could identify every part of hte body without question, but couldn't understand how to do anything on the footblal field. On the other hand, i've seen guys sit and disect teams and plays like no tomorrow, but couldn't pass a single class.

I said it weeks ago, Gado will struggle in this offense. It was well stated in his rookie bio. He never ran the ball in Liberty's zone game, he came in on short yardage and goalline where there was no zone, just straight ahead blocking and trapping...aka, Sherman's offense.

Point well made ND.

Gado may or may not be exceptionally smart at academics, but that doesn't necessarily convert to the football field. Reading and understanding the playbook, and being able to pick up a developin play at full speed are pretty different things. A certain amount of intelligence is required to grasp what you're seeing, but in a game there's no time to analyse...

BTW Pre-med, of course, means nothing. Any degree is pre-med - you just have to get an undergrad. A 3yr General Arts program qualifies...

mmmdk
05-22-2006, 06:47 AM
hi Rastak and thanx - those darn timezones make up for some late replies (from me). But this proud Dane will be going to Lambeau Field on the 8th of october for the Rams game. So, Rastak, if you want to see a REAL Viking then look me up on game day :D That goes for others too; I'd love to meet some of you in person with Green'n'Gold hearts. Rastak, is your heart then purple and white?? That's neat :mrgreen:

Take care!

HarveyWallbangers
05-22-2006, 07:17 AM
Glad to have our favorite Dane on the forum.

MJZiggy
05-22-2006, 07:27 AM
Welcome to the site. Great to have a voice from another country. New perspective. I love it. I hope you enjoy.

The Leaper
05-22-2006, 10:43 AM
RB is the one position where instincts really separate the great RBs from the ho-hum guys.

I'm just not convinced Gado has great instincts...a guy with his size and speed would have been noticed long before last year otherwise. Last year, defenses IGNORED our ground game when Gado was starting...so it isn't all that impressive that Gado was able to churn out some yards. Teams were more than happy to let Gado get 3-4 yards here and there...as long as they kept Favre and the Packers out of the end zone.

To me, Davenport has a much greater chance of being an impact RB in the new scheme than Gado does.

FavreChild
05-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Keep in mind that this news item comes from Samkon's own admission rather than from actual observation of his performance. We all know how humble and forthright Samkon is, so he is never going to give himself accolades. This is a guy that hit the ground running last year - literally - a few days after getting picked up off the KC practice squad. I wouldn't read too much into this comment.

Besides, our running attack isn't going to be a question of "either" Davenport "or" Gado being successful; it's a "both/and" proposition all the way.

MJZiggy
05-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Nicely stated, FC.

MadtownPacker
05-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Whats up MMMDK, nice to see you.

Gado does have me worried though. The whole RB spot has me worried. TT needs to pick up some insurance cuz Najeh is gonna get hurt, Green is likely not the Green we are use to, and all the srubs are.. well scrubs. Alot is riding on if Gado can perform like he did during that stretch last season.

Scott Campbell
05-22-2006, 11:03 AM
The big question is, with only 111 days until opening day, does he have enough time left to master the scheme?

:roll:

GBRulz
05-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Even if our RB's were Shaun Alexander and Reggie Bush, the RB position would still be a concern. Not because of the RB's themselves, but because of the O Line.

I really really hope that Colledge and Coston are the pieces we're looking for.

Gado will do just fine

Harlan Huckleby
05-22-2006, 04:28 PM
I'm just not convinced Gado has great instincts...a guy with his size and speed would have been noticed long before last year otherwise.

He hasn't played very much. Look at his improvement over last season! He got dramatically better at reading blocks.

I'm very hopeful for Gado, I don't know how good he'll be, but it will at least be decent.

Harlan Huckleby
05-22-2006, 04:29 PM
I really really hope that Colledge and Coston are the pieces we're looking for.

C&C are going to have to go through the same learning curve that all the young offensive lineman go through, and mostly they struggle. I can hardly think of an exception.

Tony Oday
05-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Gado is a 1500 yard back and will prove it this year. Im sure the, im not getting it, quotes will be rectified by good coaching. I would HOPE that our coaches are better teachers than the Liberty College staff.

O line mane I hope miracles happen

WR, I like that kid who runs a 4.29 40 yard and I guess can catch. Gardner is looking for a BIG contract and should have a career defining year. Boergter is a big target in the red zone. Driver is a stud and Jennings reminds me of a nice 3rd string guy. I would like to see us try and resurect Boston's career here.

mmmdk
05-23-2006, 04:20 AM
The Packer coaches have mucho faith in Gado; I say this based on the fact that TT didn't draft a RB...Ahman Green is a "maybe" starter for week 1 - it's more likely week 6. Davenport is also coming of off an injury and he has never been healthy for a whole season.

Gado is the Guy unless Green pulls out a comeback. I believe the former.

Also, could it be possible that GB keeps Gado, Green & Herron at RB and Henderson & Davenport at FB? Leach can't do much offensively but he can block and pick up blitzes.

Has any of the undrafted RBs shown anything? Well, I'm not sure that really matters untill the pads come on.

MJZiggy
05-23-2006, 07:36 AM
If Leach can block and pick up blitzes, is he big enough to move to OG like Barry was trying to do?

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2006, 07:42 AM
If Leach can block and pick up blitzes, is he big enough to move to OG like Barry was trying to do?

No.

Scott Campbell
05-23-2006, 07:43 AM
The Packer coaches have mucho faith in Gado; I say this based on the fact that TT didn't draft a RB...Ahman Green is a "maybe" starter for week 1 - it's more likely week 6. Davenport is also coming of off an injury and he has never been healthy for a whole season.

Gado is the Guy unless Green pulls out a comeback. I believe the former.

Also, could it be possible that GB keeps Gado, Green & Herron at RB and Henderson & Davenport at FB? Leach can't do much offensively but he can block and pick up blitzes.

Has any of the undrafted RBs shown anything? Well, I'm not sure that really matters untill the pads come on.

Welcome, and great post. Glad you finally made it over here.

I wouldn't rule out Ted finding another back yet this summer.