01-18-2008, 01:17 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7195840.stm

Jimx29
01-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Worthless anti-American piece of shit...... :roll:

Freak Out
01-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Worthless anti-American piece of shit...... :roll:

Chess genius does not always equate to nice guy. There were reasons he was hiding in Asia and Iceland.

BallHawk
01-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Genius turned anti-American, anti-semitic scumbag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_11Cdxvtfo

Tyrone Bigguns
01-18-2008, 02:16 PM
He was a loon. Talented and a genius, but still a loon.

Deputy Nutz
01-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Wasn't there a movie about chess with his name in the title?

swede
01-18-2008, 04:13 PM
"Searching for Bobby Fischer"

It's not an action/adventure, but its a very entertaining film--based upon the excellent book by the same name--concerning the true story of a rather ordinary boy who has a completely extraordinary gift for chess. Along with his bewildered father, he enters the world of competitive junior chess where everyone is searching for the next "Bobby Fischer".

The child actor is really good. He's one of those child actors--like the kid in 6th sense--that play the role without ever for a moment seeming to be acting. Lawrence Fishbourne is his "street" coach and the street chess scenes are hilarious. There's no smack talk like street chess smack talk.

A really interesting question that gets explored in the book is how much do you push a child when the child has national level talent and yet the child is...a child. It is difficult to separate the egos of parents and coaches from the best interests of the child.

There is a parental continuum that begins at doing nothing and ends at egotistically pushing a talented child to achieve unrealistic goals. Advocating for a child and supporting a child are healthy places in the middle I suppose.

At this point there are any number of my esteemed Rat bretheren who are now thanking me for saving them three bucks and 100 minutes of their life.

The book and movie I recommend because they represent a very human struggle with the nature of genius.

Bobby Fischer was barely human, so eclipsed was he by his own crazed monster brain. He won't be mourned much--only wondered at.