PDA

View Full Version : Tom Silverstein : Sporting News 5/19

motife
05-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Packers Team Report
5/19/2006

By Tom Silverstein
Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: Last year the club rotated its defensive tackles in an attempt to keep them fresh and utilize their specific talents. Even with the addition of free agent Ryan Pickett the plan should remain the same this year. With big bodies Pickett and Colin Cole and smaller Cullen Jenkins and Corey Williams, the club can mix and match in the middle depending on the opponent. Against a power running club it can go with Pickett and Cole, two classic run-stuffers; against a passing team it can put the feisty Williams at the nose and the speedy Jenkins at tackle. Most of the time the four will rotate because the team's philosophy is to keep the linemen fresh, but it can lean in different directions when it so chooses. . . .

The club is interested in seeing whether it has something in Leo Bookman, a former Kansas receiver and track star. Bookman quit football at Kansas in 2002 to concentrate on track and after an impressive run as a sprinter decided he wanted to give the NFL a try. He ran in the 4.2-second range during a workout and showed decent hands in mini-camp. Coaches have to find out how he reacts to contact, but his experience playing football at Kansas makes more than just a converted track athlete.

SCOUTING REPORT: CB Mike Hawkins put on about 10 pounds during the offseason, which should help his chances of getting on the field. At 178 pounds, Hawkins was too thin and his body broke down at the end of last season even though he was only playing a limited role. He added the 10 pounds while maintaining 3.5 percent body fat so most of the new weight is muscle. One of the fastest players on the team, Hawkins still has a lot to learn about the corner position and needs to improve his bump-and-run abilities. He's still more of an athlete than a football player and must learn more about the ins and outs of playing corner.

MINICAMP MAYHEM: Second-round WR Greg Jennings has a chance to play a lot this season. The offense isn't that complicated and Jennings showed during workouts that he is a refined route runner. He ran mostly short routes in college and will have to expand his repertoire, but his talents fit the offense. He did not look confused or tentative like many of the other rookies. . . .

G Junius Coston found himself starting at right guard and the promotion will be permanent if he plays well. Coston is light on his feet despite weighing 317 pounds and he has the ability to be effective reaching linebackers. He earned the start because Kevin Barry reported overweight, however, nothing is guaranteed and he's going to have to show in the coming months that he knows the offense and can be a consistent pass blocker.

JUNE 1 CUTS: None.

LINEBACKERS ANALYSIS: B-minus. The draft helped raise the grade, but a third starter to go with Nick Barnett and A.J. Hawk, and more depth, is needed.

Joemailman
05-21-2006, 11:40 AM
The Wide Receiver situation is really interesting. I think TT/MM are going to have a tough decision about whether to keep an under-achieving veteran like Ferguson, or an athletic youngster like Ruvell Martin or Bookman.

Tarlam!
05-21-2006, 01:01 PM
I think his gracing of the LB Core is way off. There are 3 legit starters and 3 legit young backups. How much depth can a team have at LB?

Harlan Huckleby
05-21-2006, 01:05 PM
The Wide Receiver situation is really interesting. I think TT/MM are going to have a tough decision about whether to keep an under-achieving veteran like Ferguson, or an athletic youngster like Ruvell Martin or Bookman.

That situation is going to be decided easily in summer competition. Beyond Driver and Jennings, the rest of the guys are iffy. This is not gold they are sifting through, just keep the best 5 guys.

Guiness
05-21-2006, 01:24 PM

That situation is going to be decided easily in summer competition. Beyond Driver and Jennings, the rest of the guys are iffy. This is not gold they are sifting through, just keep the best 5 guys.

I like Jennings too, but to say he's not iffy is a reach, IMO.

I mean, he's a rookie who hasn't even practiced in pads yet.

Harlan Huckleby
05-21-2006, 01:26 PM
I like Jennings too, but to say he's not iffy is a reach, IMO.

True enough, but he is a lock to make the roster. The rest of guys are on bubble.

gbpackfan
05-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I agree that the LB grade is too low. It is a solid B which could raise to an A mid-season.

The Leaper
05-22-2006, 08:42 AM
IMO...Driver, Gardner and Jennings are virtual locks for the roster at this point. Gardner is a very good talent who is going to win the #2 job in camp because he knows this is his last good chance at earning a starter's salary in free agency after the season. Ferguson probably is a good bit better than anyone else on the roster after those three, and I doubt he will be cut unless Thompson feels it necessary for cap purposes. He doesn't want Favre to be stuck without weapons again. Having Ferguson #4 on the depth chart is good security.

MJZiggy
05-22-2006, 08:47 AM

I thought they were planning on 6 receivers this year...not that big a deal, but room for one more.