PDA

View Full Version : Belichek, scary as hell!!

4and12to12and4
01-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Grumpy Old Man

I just watched the press conference of Bill Belichek, and ... wow ...

I have poured over so many things to say, but it all comes down to this ... that guy is scary as hell. I have NEVER watched a press conference in which the person behind the pulpit actually makes the reporters nervous. You could hear a pin drop between questions. And those who were brave enough to ask a question, did so with reluctance, you could literally see their adam's apple protude as they gulped in fear. My god, I remember Don Shula, good ol' Vince, etc., but none of the coaches of old seem to give out the same vibe as Belichek. He's like the mean uncle that you never wanted to look in the eye as a child. His steely demeanor is scarier than Satan himself. As I watched him, and felt uncomfortable even in my own home, I thought to myself, my god, if the Patriots win it all, will they even be able to look back at the season with any thoughts of enjoyment? A reporter, after NINE seconds (and I counted) of uncomfortable silence, had the guts to grab a microphone and ask Bill a question, he asked "Bill, how much fun and enjoyment have you gotten out of this season, yourself?" I knew he asked him that simply because he himself hadn't gotten ANY enjoyment before or after ANY Patriots game even though they had won them ALL! Belichek, as stern as ever, tight-lipped and growling, replied, "Well, there certainly have been some good moments, BUT ..." And as always, back to the dreary corporate answer, "BUT, really the season right now hinges on one game, it's a one game season with the San Diego Chargers, and they're the best team we've played, and we're gonna have to play our best game, and that's really where our focus is right now, it's looking ahead, not really looking back or looking at anything other than San Diego and looking at Sunday at 3 o'clock and thats when we need our peek performance, when we need to be at our best and thats where the target is, so, other than that, THERE ISN'T TOO MUCH TO THINK ABOUT, SO ..." And there you have it, Belichek giving an answer on the FUN and ENJOYMENT of going 16-0 during the season. Absolutely NO joy whatsoever. I almost feel sorry for the players. He is so bleak, and so dreary, it's gotta be such a chore just being around him. Is it a successful approach? Obviously it is. But at what cost? His players have to be the most miserable football players on planet earth. I would HATE being around him for more than 10 seconds. I have never seen a press conference so quiet and humbled. Those guys were actually scared to even ask him a question. My god. Can you imagine playing for him? I know some here will reply that "tough leadership" is a good thing, and I agree with that TO A POINT, but he takes it to another level. I guess that level brings perfection, but I think I'd rather lose a couple along the way and enjoy the trip, than be miserable and win 'em all.

PlantPage55
01-19-2008, 12:15 AM
He is absolutely awful. People seriously would have turned the other cheek on the Spygate thing if he wasn't such a disagreeable asshole to begin with.

Bretsky
01-19-2008, 08:02 AM
I listened to an interview with Ernie Acoursi sp? yesterday. Former GM of the Giants and the Browns. He was the GM of the Browns who first hired Bellicheck.

Several things came out

BB is a genius, literally
BB is so focused it's terrifying
BB is often misjudged because he really doesn't care much about perception
But he's a gamer

Note: He was no longer the GM when BB was fired at the first gig; he felt BB was a very good coach. But even after his firing he was able to learn from him mistakes and that allowed him to later excel.

packinpatland
01-19-2008, 09:46 AM
There's something about a guy who won't, or rarely makes eye contact.

pbmax
01-19-2008, 10:34 AM
I don't get a scary vibe from the guy. Uncomfotable perhaps.

Favre will takes ten minutes to answer a question about the weather and throw in some jokes. In some press conferences, I sense he does this to use up the time he is supposed to be available, so he faces a minimum number of questions.

Belicheck seems to do the reverse, no jokes, no emotion, short bland Bull Durham answers. Like he hopes the reporters will just leave the press conference out of sheer boredom.

He battled regularly with the press in Cleveland and in one account, a friend said what he learned was that he wasn't going to win over the press like Parcells could (or bully them). And he wasn't helping his case by being unavailable or refusing to discuss certain questions. He decided he would be as available as he needed to be, answer all questions, give no real information, offer only platitudes, and waste no energy on the proceedings.

The interesting question would be whether this was an unintentional byproduct of Parcells not allowing assistants to speak to the media. Coughlin had similar problems until this year.

Occasionally, someone will give him an X and O question that he likes, and you will get a better answer

The Shadow
01-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Why does someone with arguably genius-level qualities inspire such apprehension?
I was a Packer fan during the Lombardi era, and he had a bit of the Bellichek mojo, too.
The guy is simply a football machine; just appreciate the results he's achieved.

privatepacker
01-19-2008, 10:58 AM
My wife is a big Browns fan so of course we both followed BB's career w/ the Browns. Several things were very evident, one was that BB didn't care for any favorites. If you were the best QB then you started. Lots of discussion about benching Koisar which was not popular. He also was very short and unsteady in the press room after games or practices. He never did get the press or any of the sportswriters on his side. I told my wife that he would be a coach again and be sucessful. Never thought it would be as successful as it has been.
Thanks for the insight!

Deputy Nutz
01-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Why does someone with arguably genius-level qualities inspire such apprehension?
I was a Packer fan during the Lombardi era, and he had a bit of the Bellichek mojo, too.
The guy is simply a football machine; just appreciate the results he's achieved.

I take Belicheck, and remember I am a fan of his, that he doesn't want to really be bothered by the media and their run of the mill questions that a lab rat could answer. He gives the impression that he frankly has better things to be doing then talking to a bunch of people that could just as easily answer their own questions than wasting anymore of his time.

Lombardi was very stern with the media and had set rules but he also had dinner with them every Friday night as well. He treated the media very well but it was always on his terms, rules, and timeline.

Bretsky
01-19-2008, 05:16 PM
BB and Vince are the two greatest ever

packinpatland
01-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Vince had morals.

4and12to12and4
01-19-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't get a scary vibe from the guy. Uncomfotable perhaps.

Favre will takes ten minutes to answer a question about the weather and throw in some jokes. In some press conferences, I sense he does this to use up the time he is supposed to be available, so he faces a minimum number of questions.

Belicheck seems to do the reverse, no jokes, no emotion, short bland Bull Durham answers. Like he hopes the reporters will just leave the press conference out of sheer boredom.

He battled regularly with the press in Cleveland and in one account, a friend said what he learned was that he wasn't going to win over the press like Parcells could (or bully them). And he wasn't helping his case by being unavailable or refusing to discuss certain questions. He decided he would be as available as he needed to be, answer all questions, give no real information, offer only platitudes, and waste no energy on the proceedings.

The interesting question would be whether this was an unintentional byproduct of Parcells not allowing assistants to speak to the media. Coughlin had similar problems until this year.

Occasionally, someone will give him an X and O question that he likes, and you will get a better answer

That seems like an accurate analysis. But, I wish the guy would realize that the media is only there for the entertainment of the fan, and without the fans, he wouldn't be making millions for figuring out how to move a ball past eleven guys WITH eleven guys. I mean, it IS still a game isn't it? Well, at least Brett still thinks so!

mmmdk
01-20-2008, 09:58 AM
There's something about a guy who won't, or rarely makes eye contact.

...so you're saying he's gay?

mmmdk
01-20-2008, 09:59 AM
BB and Vince are the two greatest ever

No way!? Lombardi cheated and got away with it too? :twisted: :P