PDA

View Full Version : Nervous: Cold weather favoring Giants?

Lynx4Ben
01-19-2008, 08:25 AM
I have to say the mismatch in this game is the Packers receivers vs the Giants secondary. Yet I am concerned that our inexperience at receiver will show when catching that rock hard ball.

The Pack pass to setup the run.
The Giants run to setup the pass.

The conditions would have to favor the run-first team.

I am glad we have home field advantage, but am very worried about the conditions.

I haven't been sleeping all week. Someone tell me it is going to be alright!

Bretsky
01-19-2008, 08:31 AM
I worry most about the wind; but GB is the better team and it's time for MM to show he's the better coach as well. I think they will come ready.

If the Giants pull the upset, I'm not sure it's going to be Tauscher or Clifton as many reporters have noted.

I'm more worried about Colledge and/or Spitz being dominated. Tuck is a good penetrator and rusher as well.

With all that being said, this is a game GB should win.

BallHawk
01-19-2008, 08:37 AM
I too am nervous that the Packers could come in mentally unprepared and then just get flat-out outplayed.

However, I don't think that McCarthy, after what happened in Chicago, will let this team come in unprepared. Even the veteran leaders in the locker room, KGB, for one, will have this team prepared.

I'm more concerned, though, that the conditions will stop us dead in our tracks. We're the better team, but bad weather always favors the lesser team.

RashanGary
01-19-2008, 08:49 AM
The wind in Chicago was 40 mph. The wind here is supposed to be around 15 mph in the morning and calming to 5-10 in the afternoon.

It is VERY cold, but the wind is nothing like the wind was in Chicago. Also, losing to Chicago the way we did makes it less likely they'll be unprepared for this game. They'll be ready for the cold.

I do think they are stupid to not wear sleeves. They have the BEST equipment in the world. They should use it because cold weather does take energy and they need their energy for playing.

Lynx4Ben
01-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah I am not trying to compare the game to Chicago. I just think in general that the cold may favor the run and the Giants.

However, in our heyday we were always a pass first team. I think what seperates the Pack is that we have a QB who can play in those conditions. I am starting to boost my confidence.

I think what has really got me is the Pack has been winning games as the UNDERDOG all year. People, including myself, were always fearful of collapse. Now it is obvious that we are the FAVORITES and the BETTER TEAM. I wasn't expecting us to be favored at home at Lambeau. I was expecting another underdog game against Dallas.

Even the Seattle game was expected to go either way.

Now we are the favorites, I am happy about that; but also unbelievably nervous.

Not to mention I will be in Vegas for the Super Bowl. I should really drive the 5 hours to Pheniox and tailgate!

The Shadow
01-19-2008, 09:16 AM
A slower, icier track slows down a quick pass rush.
That's a GOOD thing.

cpk1994
01-19-2008, 09:17 AM
I too am nervous that the Packers could come in mentally unprepared and then just get flat-out outplayed.

However, I don't think that McCarthy, after what happened in Chicago, will let this team come in unprepared. Even the veteran leaders in the locker room, KGB, for one, will have this team prepared.

I'm more concerned, though, that the conditions will stop us dead in our tracks. We're the better team, but bad weather always favors the lesser team.After last week, Seattle would beg to disagree with you.

MJZiggy
01-19-2008, 09:18 AM
And don't forget, after this week, the receivers are used to catching frozen balls.

4forfour
01-19-2008, 09:33 AM
The Cold Favors the Giants ? :shock:

Are you kidding me ?

If you take away their run game and make Eli throw it's going to be a long long day for the Giants.

Lurker64
01-19-2008, 12:18 PM
I don't think that people are interpreting the Chicago game correctly. We didn't struggle in the Chicago game because it was cold, we struggled in the Chicago game because it was freakishly windy, it wasn't honestly that cold (it was 16-20 degrees). We've all seen Favre do well in games that cold with receivers significantly less talented than the ones he has now; but Favre himself said he had never played in a game that windy before.

Since there don't expect to be any 40 mph winds Sunday Night, I don't think we really had a disadvantage in bad weather.

twoseven
01-19-2008, 12:23 PM
The Cold Favors the Giants ? :shock:

Are you kidding me ?

If you take away their run game and make Eli throw it's going to be a long long day for the Giants.
Agreed. Eli has never even played in anything under 30 degrees, add the bunch of crazed Lambeau idiots acting impervious to the weather yeling at Eli, and add Woodson and Harris and that's an ambience working heavily against Mr. Manning, not with him. Every Giant interview I see has this or that player mentioning the cold weather and how it won't affect them. Funny, they sure have been talking about it enough for a team that doesn't think it will play a factor. We'll see.

Cheesehead Craig
01-19-2008, 12:30 PM
I think the cold and not being able to pass is overhyped. It's all mental. If the Packers' WR are mentally ready to catch the ball as they have proven to be all season, our pass game will be fine.

twoseven
01-19-2008, 12:52 PM
I think the cold and not being able to pass is overhyped. It's all mental. If the Packers' WR are mentally ready to catch the ball as they have proven to be all season, our pass game will be fine.
Exactly. I would think it's much tougher to catch and ball than to throw it in subzero temps, especially for our crew where the ball is so spread around, it could be a while before you handle it the next time.

The Leaper
01-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Favre is 43-5 in games below freezing.

Manning has made it known that he hates playing in cold weather.

I don't see an advantage for the Giants in this game because of the weather...our advantage might not be as large as against other teams, but we certainly do have the advantage.

gbgary
01-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Yeah I am not trying to compare the game to Chicago. I just think in general that the cold may favor the run and the Giants.

the Packers run the ball better than the giants. hell, the Packers do everything better than the giants. the cold doesn't favor either team since they're both northern, outdoor teams. homefield is ours, the fans will be us and i don't think this game will be close. Packers all the way.

MJZiggy
01-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Everything I've read indicates to me that the Giants have completely psyched themselves out because of the cold. Manning hates to play in it. His linemen are worried about looking tough and to me it just seems like the Pack is saying "it is what it is and you play in it."

Favre's handled these temps well before. Manning not so much. How many of these kind of temps has Bradshaw had to come into the game and handle the ball in. Not only that, but the first time he gets his mitts on it, he's gonna have Atari in his head the rest of the game 'cause dude's gonna come up and flatten him.

red
01-19-2008, 05:19 PM
well, let me put in my 2 cents here

eli, effing sucks ass. he's had 2 good games in a row and all of a sudden people think he's a great qb.

he is not

he is due for one of his massive choke jobs

also, our run defense has been pretty damn good this year, we're managed to shut down almost every major runner we've gone up against this year

eli, does not have his main target in shockey. not to mention, TE is the one position that we have had troubles with this year.

they need to be scared of OUR rushing attack. and bretts has played in the big games in very cold weather. eli has never played in a game like this, and he chokes even in meaningless games

if green bay losses, or wins by less then 14 points, i'll be shocked

red
01-19-2008, 05:21 PM
oh, and one more thing

i keep reading that the giants are going to have problems when we go to our 3 wr sets, because they only have to cb's with the rest being banged up

can someone please explain to me how the hell they can cover our 5 wr sets?

we're gonna lite em up