PDA

View Full Version : Key matchups

superfan
01-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I wanted to get these together in one place. Plus, I want to analyze something other than frostbite and Seinfeld.

Here are some key matchups I see. Feel free to add your own or comment on my analysis.

GB Passing Offense vs NYG Passing Defense - Favre and the "Fab Five" receivers matched up against the wounded Giants secondary. Significant edge Packers

GB Rushing Offense vs NYG Rushing Defense - The Giants have a couple able run stuffers in DTs Fred Robbins and Barry Cofield. The LB corps of Antonio Pierce, Kawika Mitchell, and Reggie Torbor is playing better now than earlier in the season, but isn't in the same class of the Seattle LB corps. Strahan, Umenyiora, and Tuck prefer to pursue upfield. If Grant can get some blocking upfront, he should have room to run after his first cut. A key to running successfully outside will be containment on the edges. Edge Packers

NYG Rushing Offense vs GB Rushing Defense - A healthy Ryan Pickett makes a world of difference on the inside rush defense. He frees up Williams, Hawk, and Barnett to make plays on the ball carrier. Sound tackling and good games by safeties Bigby and Collins will be key to successfully containing the run. Jacobs is a power runner with some speed who can wear down a defense if given the opportunity, and Bradshaw has the speed and shiftiness to break a long run. Considering the Giants opted to keep both RBs over Grant, there is some talent here. Still, GB has faced better backs and has consistently been able to stop the run when Pickett has been healthy. Slight edge Packers

GB CBs vs NYG WRs - In terms of matchups, Harris and Woodson match up well with Burress and Toomer, who are physical receivers but not terribly fast. NYG will get their yards, but should have a difficult time burning the GB CBs deep. Edge Packers

NYG TEs vs GB Pass Defense - GB has struggled all season with good TEs. Fortunately for GB Shockey is injured, and while replacement Kevin Boss has gotten a number of looks, I don't see him being a major exploitable matchup for the Giant passing game. Edge even

NYG K Lawrence Tynes vs GB K Mason Crosby - At the time of the Ryan Grant trade, many Giants fans wanted K Dave Rayner in return instead of the 6th round pick. Tynes was very inconsistent in training camp, and many fans wanted to go in a different direction. Tynes ended up with pretty good numbers this year, going 23-27, an 85.2% completion rate. Yet his longest successful kick of the season was only 48 yards. Crosby proved his ability to make pressure kicks early by booting a game winning 42 yarder to beat Philly in the first game of the season. Still, Crosby is a rookie and the conditions will likely make things difficult for both kickers. Edge even

QB Brett Favre vs Brett Favre - this could be the most important matchup of the game. Will we see the laughing, fun loving, deadly accurate, snowball throwing Brett Favre? Or will we see the scowling, inaccurate, 6 INT Brett Favre? Ultimately the answer to this question will likely determine the outcome of the game.

Bretsky
01-20-2008, 08:53 AM
I'd give a slight edge to the Giants rushing over our D

I'd give Mason Crosby an edge over Tynes

superfan
01-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Another big matchup is the Giants pass rush vs. Packers OL. I'm not too worried about the DE's vs Clifton and Tausch, but I'm worried about Tuck and even Robbins beating our guards.

Tony Oday
01-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Edge Giants Tynens vs Crosby. 40-49 yards tynes is perfect crosby is not...

Bretsky
01-20-2008, 09:15 AM
IMO Tynes is a below average kicker

If we can shut down Jacobs we will win. Steve Smith also worries me a bit

lcbj68c
01-20-2008, 09:17 AM
I agree on the kicking matchup. Tynes definitely has the edge.

Bretsky
01-20-2008, 09:21 AM
In October Coughlin almost cut Tynes; he brought in Cundliff and Josh Houston for workout after Tynes botched his second PAT. I'm not a believer

Bretsky
01-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Statistically Tynes has had a great year; maybe I'm off base.

But KC chose to deal him and keep somebody else and he had troubles earler this year. He's been solid since then though

Iron Mike
01-20-2008, 10:01 AM
The key matchup is the shepherd mix vs. the terrier mix:

http://www.channel3000.com/slideshow/sports/15075411/detail.html

HarveyWallbangers
01-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Edge to Crosby. Unless the pressure gets to him.

Funny that somebody mentioned Tynes is 8 for 8 from 40-49 yards. They failed to mention that he missed four FGs from under 40 yards (Crosby only had one miss inside 40 yards) and didn't have an attempt over 49 yards. Tynes had a slightly better FG accuracy, but he only had 8 attempts that were from 40 or longer and ZERO from 50 or longer. Crosby had 19 from 40 or longer. 19! And give from 50 or longer.

Crosby also was much better on kickoffs. He averaged longer distances on his kickoffs. He also had 14 touchbacks. Tynes only had 6 touchbacks.

Statistically, when you look inside the numbers, Crosby was much more impressive.

MadtownPacker
01-20-2008, 10:13 AM
The Giants WRs vs the Packs CBs is a match made in heaven IMO. I always get concerned when Al goes against big, speedy guys but he should be able to manhandle Burress or Toomer all day. If the Giants run game is control it's gonna be all good.

Harlan Huckleby
01-20-2008, 01:06 PM
ya, I think the whole game hinges on whether the Packers bottle-up the Giants run.

MJZiggy
01-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks, Mike. Now I want a puppy...(no, I'm not getting one. I already have two beasts, but I want one)