PDA

View Full Version : Difference in Running Game

ND72
01-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Hey all, I meant to write this a while ago, but kept forgetting. There is one big difference in the running game, and it's NOT Ryan Grant. The difference is simply the Offensive line. I will get to the Grant Factor in a bit, but first I wanted to touch on the OL.

The biggest thing that has been happening is first off, they are making their zone double teams much more effectively than they were early in the year, and espeically more than last year. The second thing that has improved is getting to the 2nd Level(Linebackers) off of those double teams, which they were NOT doing last year and early this year. The third thing is the backside tackles. Clifton and Tauscher have been doing a great job of making the seal block that gives the backside cuts that you have seen Grant exploit big time lately, which is where for 2 years now I have been saying is where you get your big plays. You take the 2-3 yards in the zone, then once a team over pursues, you cut backside, hello 50 yard run.

The last thing that has improved off of the OL is how our RB's are reading. Not only by Grant, but Jackson has done it as well. Letting the zone happen, and read the holes. The thing that Grant does so well is when he sees the hole he attacks it, and that is how you get big time yardage.

The thing that has made it all work though is Ryan Grant. The way he attacks the holes and reads the zones is exactly what you want from a running back in this system. I think the best thing that is happening though, is all of our running backs are starting to do the same thing. Brandon Jackson is playing with more confidence, and has been reading plays a lot better than early in the year, which should be expected with a rookie running back with any talent. I still personally think Brandon Jackson is the RB of our future, but I am going to enjoy the ride my Notre Dame boy Ryan Grant is gonna take us on the next few years.

I'm out of here soon for the game, so everyone enjoy. If you happen to think of this article while on offense, when we run the ball, do me a favor and watch the OL more than the RB, you will see the double teams, getting to the LB's, the back side seals, etc.etc. a lot more than say week 1.

StPaulPackFan
01-20-2008, 11:23 AM
I agree that Jackson has been running better lately. But IMO, there is a very noticable difference between when he is running the ball and when Grant is running the ball. Grant is always moving forward, even when he is cutting. Jackson still dances around too much. Grant will get yards even when there aren't any holes because he puts his shoulder down and attacks. Whereas Jackson has a tendancy to get caught standing still when the hole closes up. Although he does show great effort (churning legs) to try to push forward after he is initially stopped.

I hope Jackson turns into a back worthy of a 2nd round pick but I clearly think Grant has shown he has the ability to be our number 1 back for years to come.