PDA

View Full Version : Corners Lost the Game!

PackerPro42
01-20-2008, 09:41 PM
This game along with the Cowboys game proves the fact that the Packer's defense can't function without solid secondary play, particularly corner play. Harris' play against big time receivers has been less than mediocre which forces the OLB's to play a zone coverage, which then leads to the lack of pressure on the QB, which then leads to wide open receivers after a certain period of time. And when the defense is below average, the Packer's offense goes right down the shiter with them because of the fact that the offense can't play a comeback game because they're not patient enough and are to inexperienced in situations like this.

BallHawk
01-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Coaching.

mmmdk
01-20-2008, 09:42 PM
I called it too - corners are slipping. Mostly Harris. Don't get angry with this as we were one step away from the Super bowl.

The Shadow
01-20-2008, 09:43 PM
It was certainly more than the corners........
We had a gift at the end and spit the bit.

Maxie the Taxi
01-20-2008, 09:44 PM
This game along with the Cowboys game proves the fact that the Packer's defense can't function without solid secondary play, particularly corner play. Harris' play against big time receivers has been less than mediocre which forces the OLB's to play a zone coverage, which then leads to the lack of pressure on the QB, which then leads to wide open receivers after a certain period of time. And when the defense is below average, the Packer's offense goes right down the shiter with them because of the fact that the offense can't play a comeback game because they're not patient enough and are to inexperienced in situations like this.

It's a chicken and egg thing. You can't let a pro QB have as much time as Manning had and expect to win.

Travbrew
01-20-2008, 09:45 PM
I called it too - corners are slipping. Mostly Harris. Don't get angry with this as we were one step away from the Super bowl.

I agree.

mmmdk
01-20-2008, 09:46 PM
It was certainly more than the corners........
We had a gift at the end and spit the bit.

True, it was also coaching and Favre not making a legendary OT drive.

RashanGary
01-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Manning played a fantastic game. He took a lot of big shots and kept coming. Really, hats off to him.

The Giants really were just the better team all around. We NEED to get stronger on the Dline even if it's just through growth and I'd like to see Harris as a nickle back at this point in his career. He's good, but with the defense we play, we need great corners.

cpk1994

I agree.Maybe, but this is a total coaching failure not giving Al any help. Between that and dubious playcalling on O, this one is on M3.

dissident94
Too much time given to Manning. We do need some young corners. But just no pass ruch what so ever killed us.

Brohm
01-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Corners sucked and the coaches not reacting to the corners sucking sucked. Nevermind the offensive and defensive game plane sucked. How about some ball awareness eh? Yeah fuck fundementals like jumping on a loose ball and breaking down to tackle someone. Or fuck how bout lets get 5 yards when we need 15 or 3 when we need 8 to kep those mother fucking drives going yeah baby. Fuck or how bout we just come out and jizz on our face because it's to cold out ooo it's sooo cold.

cpk1994
01-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Corners sucked and the coaches not reacting to the corners sucking sucked. Nevermind the offensive and defensive game plane sucked. How about some ball awareness eh? Yeah fuck fundementals like jumping on a loose ball and breaking down to tackle someone. Or fuck how bout lets get 5 yards when we need 15 or 3 when we need 8 to kep those mother fucking drives going yeah baby. Fuck or how bout we just come out and jizz on our face because it's to cold out ooo it's sooo cold.Calm down. Those plays you speak of were Brett utlimately taking what the defense gave him. Would you rather him force into double and triple coverage, like he used to do? They had a chance to win in OT and didn't.

lcbj68c
01-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Corners sucked and the coaches not reacting to the corners sucking sucked. Nevermind the offensive and defensive game plane sucked. How about some ball awareness eh? Yeah fuck fundementals like jumping on a loose ball and breaking down to tackle someone. Or fuck how bout lets get 5 yards when we need 15 or 3 when we need 8 to kep those mother fucking drives going yeah baby. Fuck or how bout we just come out and jizz on our face because it's to cold out ooo it's sooo cold.

While not so foul-mouthed, i agree with your assessment. I said all game that I was really upset with the game plan and plays being called by Mike McCarthy on offense. Too many runs on 1st down, not enough runs on 2nd down and the over and over and over again calling of screens was sick. Wide Receiver screens DO NOT WORK in the NFL, especially with an unhealthy Koren Robinson running them. Too many routes being run to the outside where it is tough to throw into the wind with cold hands and a cold football led to interceptions. Dink and Dunk over the middle seemed more appropriate and I hardly seen it today. I believe coaching also has to be somewhat responsible for the mental breakdown and lack of selfcontrol in defensive penalties. Great season, but this loss hurts.

Brohm
01-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Farve was throwing into coverage. 2 picks, the lame duck deep ball into triple coverage, etc. I cannot believe the Giants defense gave us nothing. Where are the damn slants, screw the WR screen. The coaches just could not find it and the lack of an attempt at a running game just left the chuff down the field offense. No rhythm no nothing. Damn below zero and you don't want to run the ball.

cpk1994
01-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Favre was throwing into coverage. 2 picks, the lame duck deep ball into triple coverage, etc. I cannot believe the Giants defense gave us nothing. Where are the damn slants, screw the WR screen. The coaches just could not find it and the lack of an attempt at a running game just left the chuff down the field offense. No rhythm no nothing. Damn below zero and you don't want to run the ball.He threw 2 passes into double coverage. The second INT was poor execution. But you were referring to the plays that Favre threw short of the marker. In the past he would have forced those somewhere else and the Pack probably wouldn't have gotten to OT becuase Favre would have had 5 ints instead of 2.

privatepacker
01-20-2008, 10:10 PM
The second half belonged to the Giants. Green Bay couldn't stop them or get anything going. Favre looked like he was bewildered a lot out there.
I'm proud they got this far but after this game, NE would have drawn and quarter them in the Super Bowl.

gbgary
01-20-2008, 10:23 PM
this was an offensive failure. poor play calling and execution lost it. we only had the ball for 22 minutes and only ran 46 plays. we couldn't start a drive in the forth quarter and o.t.
the d was on the field for 40 minutes. they did all they could. they were spent.

digitaldean
01-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Let's also remember that except for the first drive of the 2nd half, the Giants started at the 40 or better.

Special teams coverage stunk tonight. Crosby saved a longer return also in this game.

GoPackGo
01-20-2008, 10:33 PM
The offense lost the game-
How many 3rd downs did we convert?
Time and time again I saw Favre throw 3-4 yard passes when we needed many more. I'm hugely disappointed in this team tonight.
Tomorrow I'll admit I'm happy we went 13-3. Tonight I'm pissed because I know we are better than we played.

BallHawk
01-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Al Harris gets an awful amount of criticism. He's played two bad games this season, both against big, physical WRs. Do the math, he isn't good against that type of guy. I blame the coaches for not realizing that sooner and making adjustments.

He's a Pro-Bowl CB and to call him old and washed up is foolish.

Partial
01-20-2008, 10:39 PM
From the last drive I saw, I agree. Al and Nick had two critical penalties on third and longs that resulted in automatic first down and additional yardage. That drive yielded a touchdown. How can anyone be happy with?!?!?!

Scott Campbell
01-20-2008, 10:39 PM
It's a chicken and egg thing. You can't let a pro QB have as much time as Manning had and expect to win.

I wasn't charting plays, but I thought Favre had more time than Manning.

Brohm
01-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Yep coaches should shoulder a lot of blame for the defensive woes tonight. They needed to get those guys some help and it was pretty apparent right off the bat. Throw in the offense only able to keep the ball 20 min and everything falls into place for the Giants.

Hell 3 series for 3 tries at a game winning FG says it all. Can only go 3 and out so many times before it bites you in the ass.

Exactly right about the pass rush. Even if Al and CW played spectacular footbal, you cannot let a QB sit back there for that long.

BallHawk
01-20-2008, 10:48 PM
From the last drive I saw, I agree. Al and Nick had two critical penalties on third and longs that resulted in automatic first down and additional yardage. That drive yielded a touchdown. How can anyone be happy with?!?!?!

Shit happens. I was pissed at both penalties, especially Collins', but it happened. What can you do. I thought Collins was crap before the game and still think the same about him now. I thought Harris was a good corner before the game and still think the same about him now.

One game doesn't change my opinion about any of these guys. I'm not happy, neither are they. You have to get over it and put it in the past.

cpk1994
01-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Time and time again I saw Favre throw 3-4 yard passes when we needed many more. I'm hugely disappointed in this team tonight.
Tomorrow I'll admit I'm happy we went 13-3. Tonight I'm pissed because I know we are better than we played.Yes he did, but he threw those either becuase

1. The deeper throws were covered

or

2. He need to throw quickly.

I don't have a problem with those throws becuase the alternative could have been a lot worse and we may never have made it to OT.

GoPackGo
01-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Tomorrow I'll admit I'm happy we went 13-3. Tonight I'm pissed because I know we are better than we played.

Yes he did, but he threw those either becuase

or

I don't have a problem with those throws becuase the alternative could have been a lot worse and we may never have made it to OT.

You are making excuses and thats fine and dandy, But when you can't convert any 3rd downs you can't win the game.

cpk1994
01-20-2008, 11:27 PM

Yes he did, but he threw those either becuase

or

You are making excuses and thats fine and dandy, But when you can't convert any 3rd downs you can't win the game.Of course not but Im not making any excuses for him. Those decisions to take what the defense gave him instead of forcing throws like in the past helped the Packers be in position in OT to win. I guess you would prefer that Favre thre 5 picks and the Pack lost by 21 becuase hey at least Favre tried.

GoPackGo
01-20-2008, 11:45 PM
I guess you would prefer that Favre thre 5 picks and the Pack lost by 21 becuase hey at least Favre tried.

If you mean I wish we would have tried to convert on third down using a Hall of Fame Quarterbacks arm than Yes I would prefer that to the limpdick effort I watched.

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2008, 12:16 AM
Al Harris gets an awful amount of criticism. He's played two bad games this season, both against big, physical WRs. Do the math, he isn't good against that type of guy. I blame the coaches for not realizing that sooner and making adjustments.

He got whooped today, and had to much pride(not that I blame him) to ask for help, not that our safeties have that ability, but hell...

Harris was the goat on defense. He got out muscled and got hammered on the curl routes, and timing routes.

Partial
01-21-2008, 12:18 AM

He got whooped today, and had to much pride(not that I blame him) to ask for help, not that our safeties have that ability, but hell...

Harris was the goat on defense. He got out muscled and got hammered on the curl routes, and timing routes.

Agreed. I do NOT understand why McCarthy didn't recognize this and put the better athlete in Woodson on Burress. Clearly what he was doing was not working.

mmmdk
01-21-2008, 05:42 AM

Agreed. I do NOT understand why McCarthy didn't recognize this and put the better athlete in Woodson on Burress. Clearly what he was doing was not working.

The big Q is; will it carry over to next season? Harris is a nickelback now. I don't think McCarthy has the balls to demote Harris plus get TT to bring a stud corner through free agency. Great corners are needed in the D we play.

Scott Campbell
01-21-2008, 05:50 AM
Was there an adjustment made on Burress in the second half? They seemed to stop throwing to him, and the camera coverage didn't really show much.

Tarlam!
01-21-2008, 06:58 AM
Harris got spanked. Utterly. I am so not used to seeing Harris being owned, I was sickened.

The Leaper
01-21-2008, 09:19 AM
I wasn't charting plays, but I thought Favre had more time than Manning.

I agree. Manning wasn't sitting back there all day. We just played way too soft of a defense. I don't think the Giants had a play much over 20 yards all game, but they consistently ate up the field in 7-8 yard chunks at a time.

Manning was taking 3-5 step drops and throwing the ball quickly. Few pass rushes would've been able to get to him. We needed tighter coverge in the secondary...and we didn't get it.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-21-2008, 09:25 AM
You can blame the corners and the defense all you want, but am happy with the way they played. The defense played the whole forth quarter on our side of the 50 and kept us in the game. Sure they gave up 20 points, but that should have been enough for the offense to win the game.

We lost the game not because of the defense, but because the offense couldn't do nothing in the forth quarter and overtime. All we needed was one decent drive in the forth and we are in the superbowl.

MJZiggy
01-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Ok, I'll say it. Al is one of my favorite players on this team, but I am worried. I've heard that when corner play drops off, it drops off in a hurry and this is two games this season that he got spanked. I still think he's a great corner, but this didn't happen to him last season... :?

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2008, 10:36 AM
You can blame the corners and the defense all you want, but am happy with the way they played. The defense played the whole forth quarter on our side of the 50 and kept us in the game. Sure they gave up 20 points, but that should have been enough for the offense to win the game.

We lost the game not because of the defense, but because the offense couldn't do nothing in the forth quarter and overtime. All we needed was one decent drive in the forth and we are in the superbowl.

I agree, I think the defense put in a solid effort in the second half. It wasn't easy being on that field for 25 minutes. I take my hat off to guys like Pickett and Williams, they played their heart out.

Kampman just struggled most of the night in regards to pass rushing. He doesn't have the quickest move off the snap and it hurt him against the 3 step drops, and Mannings ability to get the ball off. Also, he doesn't help him being on the field for 70 plus plays.

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2008, 10:40 AM

The big Q is; will it carry over to next season? Harris is a nickelback now. I don't think McCarthy has the balls to demote Harris plus get TT to bring a stud corner through free agency. Great corners are needed in the D we play.

If Thompson wants to have success like the Pats he will have to make the cold hearted move with some of the high paid veterans, and McCarthy will also have to make decision that benefit your team in the present but also the future, their is no past accomplishment to be considered when figuring out the lineup for next season.

Patler
01-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Ok, I'll say it. Al is one of my favorite players on this team, but I am worried. I've heard that when corner play drops off, it drops off in a hurry and this is two games this season that he got spanked. I still think he's a great corner, but this didn't happen to him last season... :?

But he did tail off noticeably at the end of 2005. I was worried going into last season.

Harris will always struggle when he can not physically dominate a receiver at the line of scrimmage. He does not have the speed or quickness that some others have. A big receiver that can dish it out back to him will cause trouble.

Neither Harris nor Woodson have the athletic abilities they once had. They remain successful as physical, smart corners. If a receiver refuses to be dominated physically, or the officials call a close game, both will give up plays.

You really can not expect either one to be a starter much beyond next season. Woodson, maybe, but Harris has to be near the end of his career. He has less pure athletic ability to begin with. The physical games they play are tough on themselves, too; and they will begin to show it especially toward the ends of seasons.

Fritz
01-21-2008, 10:54 AM

But he did tail off noticeably at the end of 2005. I was worried going into last season.

Harris will always struggle when he can not physically dominate a receiver at the line of scrimmage. He does not have the speed or quickness that some others have. A big receiver that can dish it out back to him will cause trouble.

Neither Harris nor Woodson have the athletic abilities they once had. They remain successful as physical, smart corners. If a receiver refuses to be dominated physically, or the officials call a close game, both will give up plays.

You really can not expect either one to be a starter much beyond next season. Woodson, maybe, but Harris has to be near the end of his career. He has less pure athletic ability to begin with. The physical games they play are tough on themselves, too; and they will begin to show it especially toward the ends of seasons.

Okay, here's what I didn't get: Harris's success is predicated on disrupting a receiver's route at the line of scrimmage. But when the cameras showed the myriad of replays of Burress abusing Harris, rarely if ever did Harris attempt to jam him at the line. It was weird to watch because all year Harris was physical at the line of scrimmage. I wonder what happened there?

The Leaper
01-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Okay, here's what I didn't get: Harris's success is predicated on disrupting a receiver's route at the line of scrimmage. But when the cameras showed the myriad of replays of Burress abusing Harris, rarely if ever did Harris attempt to jam him at the line. It was weird to watch because all year Harris was physical at the line of scrimmage. I wonder what happened there?

I thought the same thing. We played way too soft of coverage on their WRs. We let them have everything underneath...which was the only thing you could really get consistently in the weather they were playing in.

Giving WRs a free release in our defensive scheme is a recipe for disaster.

Joemailman
01-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Perhaps Harris was concerned that a tall rangy guy like Burress would be able to get his hands on him instead of the other way around. Doesn't Owens do the same think to Al? Perhaps those who have been saying that the coaches took too long to give Al safety help were right.

Patler
01-21-2008, 11:06 AM

I thought the same thing. We played way too soft of coverage on their WRs. We let them have everything underneath...which was the only thing you could really get consistently in the weather they were playing in.

Giving WRs a free release in our defensive scheme is a recipe for disaster.

I think he tried to early (from memory, I didn't Tivo it), and that was when Burress was getting behind him. So then he tried to engage him at 3-5 yards, to disrupt the pattern and better be able to stay with him when the ball was thrown. In some ways that worked a little better, but Manning was throwing the ball right where he needed to most of the time. Manning deserves a lot of credit for some of the completions.

The Shadow
01-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Maybe Harris should move to free safety at this point in his career.

BallHawk
01-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Maybe Harris should move to free safety at this point in his career.

Not big enough.

gbgary
01-21-2008, 03:29 PM
al had his troubles but the failure to get him help is on MM. al is still one of the very best in the league. again...this game was lost by the offense. poor play calling (MM) and execution. too many penalties and bad luck were in the mix but the fact that they couldn't mount any sort of drive in the second half, and especially the forth quarter and o.t., was the deal-killer.

Patler
01-21-2008, 03:58 PM
this game was lost by the offense. poor play calling (MM) and execution. too many penalties and bad luck were in the mix but the fact that they couldn't mount any sort of drive in the second half, and especially the forth quarter and o.t., was the deal-killer.

I don't know, the defense giving up 15:00+ minutes worth of possession time and 10 points in the first drive of the first half by NY and the first drive of the second half had something to do with it too. It set a tone that they never reversed in either half.

gbgary
01-21-2008, 04:16 PM
this game was lost by the offense. poor play calling (MM) and execution. too many penalties and bad luck were in the mix but the fact that they couldn't mount any sort of drive in the second half, and especially the forth quarter and o.t., was the deal-killer.

I don't know, the defense giving up 15:00+ minutes worth of possession time and 10 points in the first drive of the first half by NY and the first drive of the second half had something to do with it too. It set a tone that they never reversed in either half.

true but we didn't lose 42-20. they only gave up 20 stinking points after being on the field for 40 minutes. any offensive help in the forth quarter would have won the game.

GoPackGo
01-21-2008, 04:31 PM
al had his troubles but the failure to get him help is on MM. al is still one of the very best in the league. again...this game was lost by the offense. poor play calling (MM) and execution. too many penalties and bad luck were in the mix but the fact that they couldn't mount any sort of drive in the second half, and especially the forth quarter and o.t., was the deal-killer.

I agree with you Gary-
The Defense played ok considering the amount of time they had to be on the field and poor field position they inherited from the struggling Packer offense.

ny10804
01-21-2008, 04:53 PM
The thing that worries me is that as long as Al Harris is on the Packers, he will be the #1 corner. He turns 34 next December, and few if any CBs can play at a high level at that age.

We need a CB in the first or second round.

Scott Campbell
01-21-2008, 07:48 PM
The thing that worries me is that as long as Al Harris is on the Packers, he will be the #1 corner. He turns 34 next December, and few if any CBs can play at a high level at that age.

We need a CB in the first or second round.

I agree, but you're not guaranteed to get a guy who is ready to play.