PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy will have to learn from this

CaliforniaCheez
01-20-2008, 09:42 PM
1) Was practicing indoors all the time worth it??

2) He will have to learn to toughen up his team that wilts in the cold.

3) The defense gave up and refused to tackle properly.

4) Poor tackling technique happens when you don't practice tackling. No wrap up tackles.

5) Why so little defensive rotation? Where was Harrell?

6) There should have been more blitzing.

As to the offense there were no adjustments to the cold and wind.

1) Shorter routes and more sure passing would have been more effective as it was for the Giants.

2) the run game was abandoned and not given a chance to produce.

3) There were few slants and crossing routes. 5 yard passes do move the chains.

When you play at Lambeau field you can't act like a bunch of pussies hanging your head and being cold. Cold is your identity and you should not shrink from it. McCarthy better learn from this that he better toughen up the team when it comes to the cold in Chicago and Green Bay.

Ted Thompson should stop acquiring mentally weak players and southerners who can't adapt to the environment.

Thumbs down to the secondary especially Woodson. No help to Harris.
Thumbs down to the D-line. Where were Kampmann, KGB, and Jenkins??

Thumbs up for the O-line and the LB's.

Time for self-assessment, Mike.

BallHawk
01-20-2008, 09:46 PM
His biggest folly was not sticking with the run. Inexperienced coach making a knee-jerk reaction in a big game.

McCarthy is going to be a great coach, but he's got a lot to learn.

dissident94
01-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Biggest mistake was 3rd and 3 at the 17 and we run a swing pass to the left. The ball was thrown 2 yards backwards. We get that first down, and possibly get a td out of it and go up by 4. But we had to kick the FG. I could not believe that pussy play call

mmmdk
01-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Biggest mistake was 3rd and 3 at the 17 and we run a swing pass to the left. The ball was thrown 2 yards backwards. We get that first down, and possibly get a td out of it and go up by 4. But we had to kick the FG. I could not believe that pussy play call

Yes, oh my god that was so terrible. Really boneheaded play.

cpk1994
01-20-2008, 09:52 PM
First of all, cold had NOTHING to do with this loss. This is about inexperienced coaching.

cpk1994
01-20-2008, 09:53 PM

Yes, oh my god that was so terrible. Really boneheaded play.I think that play was also out of the shotgun forcing Grant to get 13 yards just to pick up 3.

BallHawk
01-20-2008, 09:54 PM

Not a bad playcall. Lee missed his block. At that point the last thing you want to do is have a turnover. A screen reduces that chance.

Cheesehead Craig
01-20-2008, 09:56 PM
His biggest folly was not sticking with the run. Inexperienced coach making a knee-jerk reaction in a big game.

QFT.

He's 1-2 in big games (Dallas, Seattle, NYG). Hopefully he learns from this.

cpk1994
01-20-2008, 09:57 PM

Not a bad playcall. Lee missed his block. At that point the last thing you want to do is have a turnover. A screen reduces that chance.It may reduce the chance, but forcing your ballcarrier to have to pick up 10 yards in ADDITION to the 3 yards he already needed to get the first when your screens weren't working AT ALL, is just plain idiotic.

lcbj68c
01-20-2008, 09:57 PM
What's with the rant on the cold. I dont think either team looked more mentally unprepared than the other? Am I missing something?

BallHawk
01-20-2008, 09:58 PM
What's with the rant on the cold. I dont think either team looked more mentally unprepared than the other? Am I missing something?

The cold wasn't a big a factor as some thought I'd be. Both teams played through it. Both had ups a downs. The Giants flat-out outplayed us.

cpk1994
01-20-2008, 10:05 PM
What's with the rant on the cold. I dont think either team looked more mentally unprepared than the other? Am I missing something?If you read the inital post, it claims the Packers wilted in the cold which couldn't be further from the truth.

NewsBruin
01-20-2008, 10:07 PM
I thought some of those screen passes were ill-timed. There was too much short game for my tastes. I'm proud of the Pack. Count me among those who didn't think we'd be a playoff team.

Packers4Ever
01-20-2008, 10:26 PM

I thought we could expect another game such as we saw last
Saturday when we tore Seattle up. Great game planning, adjustments when needed, terrific runs by our # 1 RB, outstanding Defense, - what happened
to it all ?
Next year they'll have had another year of experience, so will Coach......

gbgary
01-20-2008, 10:35 PM
when they needed to sustain a drive they couldn't. they kept trying to take big chunks of yards instead of 4, 5, 6 yard chunks. the kind that move the chains, and wear down a team. this is on MM and offense.

BallHawk
01-20-2008, 10:36 PM
when they needed to sustain a drive they couldn't. they kept trying to take big chunks of yards instead of 4, 5, 6 yard chunks. the kind that move the chains, and wear down a team. this is on MM and offense.

Exactly. We scored TDs twice. First time was on one big play. Second time was on great field-position by Tramon's KR.

Bad coaching and bad execution.

Jimx29
01-20-2008, 10:37 PM
First of all, cold had NOTHING to do with this loss. This is about inexperienced coaching.http://i29.tinypic.com/24o59nm.gif

First Bears game showed had has a way to go.

Partial
01-20-2008, 10:37 PM

In my first half of viewing the game they could not move the ball at all on the ground. 2-3 yard gains don't win games.

Time to go watch the game. I'll be on from the lapper.

CyclonePackFan
01-20-2008, 10:38 PM

Not a bad playcall. Lee missed his block. At that point the last thing you want to do is have a turnover. A screen reduces that chance.

That's exactly the point. If you don't want a turnover, why would you throw a backwards pass? Grant barely had time to catch the ball before he got hit, if he'd have dropped it we would have had a fumble.

BallHawk
01-20-2008, 10:40 PM
A big problem was we would always pass on 1st down. To be an effective team you have to be able to put yourself in manageable situations. Having 2nd and 10 every drive puts you in an awkward situation. Run the ball on 1st down, then evaluate. Unfortunately, MM tried to go big on 1st down too often.

Harlan Huckleby
01-20-2008, 10:44 PM
McCarthy looked about 15 years old with his chubby cheeks stuffed inside that face mask.

4and12to12and4
01-20-2008, 10:47 PM
McCarthy looked about 15 years old with his chubby cheeks stuffed inside that face mask.

He sure looked better than Coughlin, huh? Talk about red in the face!! He probably still can't talk!!

Harlan Huckleby
01-20-2008, 10:48 PM
coughlin looked about 90 years old with dead skin flaking off his face

Bretsky
01-21-2008, 02:24 AM
Great year for a team that overachieved

That being said MM let us all down with his playcalling tonight. Played right into the Giants hands

Fritz
01-21-2008, 06:20 AM
You hit it exactly on the head, Bretsky. Rookie-schmookie. Any coach - even the fans sitting in front of tv's, like us - could see that lateral passes and fifteen yard outs and other deep patterns were not working, period. One of McCarthy's strengths this year has been adjusting his game plan, but he did not do that at all last night.

It was terrible, terrible play-calling. M3 did not put his team in position to win. At some point the offensive line needed to be called upon to run-block for more than one in every four plays. At some point you ought to be using the bread-and-butter route of the west coast offense - the slant over the middle. Why M3 gave up on the run, and why he called so many A) lateral passes (ball travels fifteen yards - receiver gets it two yards behing the line of scrimmage) and B) long passes - the fifteen to twenty yard variety - is beyond me. And also, the screen was not working all night. Give it up.

Here's a case in point: overtime, your ball. Second and eight. What say you give the ball to Grant, and he ekes out two yards. Now you have a third and six, something that a short route over the middle can gain for you. But no.

Consistently M3 would call for long, difficult passes on first and/or second down. Then on third and ten, he'd finally call the little five/six yard gainers he should've called on first or second down.

I thought his game plan - outside the first two plays of the game, which we rarely saw again - was abysmal. Atrocious. Sh_tty. He did not put that team in a position to win.

pbmax
01-21-2008, 07:53 AM
I don't think the players put the team in a position to win either. Bretsky had it right in the Where was Bretsky Thread. Who had a good game? The O Line was good in pass protection. But they blocked exactly one run well. If M3 had tried that running game more this thread would be the same except the terrible playcalling would be runs that clearly weren't going to work instead of screen passes.

The corners struggled, especially Harris. Down the stretch, they looked old.

Poppinga had a good game against the Jacobs. Hawk whiffed on a run stuff of Bradshaw. Barnett was MIA.

No pass rush except the greatest snap anticipation of all time with KGB. Of course, since it was KGB, he did nothing else all night. I was worried about pass rush last offseason and it came up and bit us hard in the second half.

What worries me most is that with money and draft picks, our defense moved up a notch, but that was it. Cole and Jolly being lost really hurt as by the 4th quarter, we were out of gas.

I do second the notion that we need Harrell and Muir and I didn't see them giving the DTs a rest.

Fritz
01-21-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't think the players put the team in a position to win either. Bretsky had it right in the Where was Bretsky Thread. Who had a good game? The O Line was good in pass protection. But they blocked exactly one run well. If M3 had tried that running game more this thread would be the same except the terrible playcalling would be runs that clearly weren't going to work instead of screen passes.

The corners struggled, especially Harris. Down the stretch, they looked old.

Poppinga had a good game against the Jacobs. Hawk whiffed on a run stuff of Bradshaw. Barnett was MIA.

No pass rush except the greatest snap anticipation of all time with KGB. Of course, since it was KGB, he did nothing else all night. I was worried about pass rush last offseason and it came up and bit us hard in the second half.

What worries me most is that with money and draft picks, our defense moved up a notch, but that was it. Cole and Jolly being lost really hurt as by the 4th quarter, we were out of gas.

I do second the notion that we need Harrell and Muir and I didn't see them giving the DTs a rest.

some good points, oh mad rat, but I disagree with the statement about the running game. Again, I think M3 called a bad game. How many times did he try longer routes, only to end up with third-and-tens during which he'd finally call that short route over the middle - the one that gains the team six or seven yards.

More running plays - even of the two to three yard variety - would set up the third and sixes that become manageable with the short passing game.

And where were the slants?

Patler
01-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Again, I think M3 called a bad game. How many times did he try longer routes, only to end up with third-and-tens during which he'd finally call that short route over the middle - the one that gains the team six or seven yards.

...or screen passes that required 15 yac to get the first down.

Lots of passes the first couple drives didn't surprise me. Do it while you can, before everyone freezes up, and maybe to loosen up the defense a little. But it seemed most passes were thrown 20 yards downfield, or behind the line of scrimmage. That's not the offense that got them to the Championship game.

pbmax
01-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Patler (and others) have made a good point about this. At some point, midseason, Redskins?, the opponents began to take extraordinary measures to stop the inside passing game. Play inside technique on slot receivers, move a safety down into range, not for the run D, but for routes in the middle.

I understood when we adjusted to such coverage by throwing outside and deep more, especially when Grant began to roll.

But sometime, it might have been good to go back to the inside stuff, wouldn't it? Did defenses adopt the Redskins measures for the rest of the season?

Again, I think M3 called a bad game. How many times did he try longer routes, only to end up with third-and-tens during which he'd finally call that short route over the middle - the one that gains the team six or seven yards.

...or screen passes that required 15 yac to get the first down.

Lots of passes the first couple drives didn't surprise me. Do it while you can, before everyone freezes up, and maybe to loosen up the defense a little. But it seemed most passes were thrown 20 yards downfield, or behind the line of scrimmage. That's not the offense that got them to the Championship game.