PDA

View Full Version : It's started

packinpatland
01-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Didn't take long..........

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nfcchampionship-packers&prov=ap&type=lgns

Tough loss leaves Favre to ponder uncertain future

By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer
January 20, 2008

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Brett Favre's season lasted longer than anyone would have guessed -- even Favre himself.

Now that it's over, will he be back for another?

A 2007 season that was marked by the remarkable resurgence of both Favre and his Green Bay Packers ended in disappointment Sunday night, as the Packers lost to the New York Giants 23-20 in overtime in the NFC Championship game at Lambeau Field.

The game seemed to be setting up for another one of Favre's magical moments after Giants kicker Lawrence Tynes missed a potential game-winning 36-yard field goal at the end of regulation, giving Favre another shot at the victory in overtime.

But Favre threw an interception to Corey Webster on the Packers' second play, and Tynes kicked a game-clinching 47-yard field goal to send the Packers home for the winter.

Now, Favre is left to ponder the decision that has kept Cheeseheads on edge for each of the past several cold offseasons: Will he retire, or decide to return for his 18th NFL season?

Certainly, the smart money seems to be that Favre is leaning toward returning.

Favre himself hinted at that a few days before the Packers' divisional playoff game victory over Seattle last week, telling his hometown newspaper, the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald, that he would "like to continue longer."

After the Seattle game, Favre said he hadn't made a final decision; as usual, he'd huddle with his family after the season before he decided. For the record, his two daughters want him to come back.

This certainly isn't the first time No. 4 has flirted with retirement, as the Favre watch has become as much a part of winter in Wisconsin as snowmobiling and ice fishing.

Favre has taken weeks and even months to make his decision after recent seasons, with Cheeseheads hanging on his every word as his football future hangs in the balance.

Favre ended the 2006 season by tearing up on television, leading many to wonder whether it would end up being his final season. Then he came back anyway.

When he made the comments to the Biloxi Sun-Herald two weeks ago hinting he might be coming back, he sent the entire state of Wisconsin to overtime, even prompting the governor's office to issue a statement prematurely congratulating Favre for his decision, the political version of a false start.

Even though it has been widely assumed Favre would indeed come back to play next season after having one of the best seasons of his career in 2007, the quarterback and his coach have said they would wait until after the season to discuss the issue.

The end of the season has arrived. It went on longer than expected, which just adds to the intrigue.

Updated on Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 10:31 pm, EST

4and12to12and4
01-20-2008, 10:20 PM
funny, he must have had most of it already written, and just filled in the blanks as the game went on :wink:

BallHawk
01-20-2008, 10:20 PM
For the love of God, Favre, just make a decision soon. Not a knee-jerk one, but within a few weeks, maybe less. Please? I can't go through another off-season like this.

Rastak
01-20-2008, 10:21 PM
I thought he already said he was coming back.......

Carolina_Packer
01-20-2008, 10:23 PM
This team can compete next year. They have holes to fill, but I would think Favre would see how close they are and if he still feels up to it mentally, he sure has the physical skills to keep playing.

Merlin
01-20-2008, 10:24 PM
I believe his comments throughout the season hinted that he would like to continue to play. The problem is that the media makes this shit up as they go. So until Favre actually says the words "I retire" or "I am coming back" we will have to endure this media bs. McCarthy probably won't even ask Favre that question. I would think if Favre wasn't coming back, he would let the Packers know within a few days. Otherwise drop this crap until he says he's done and give the guy some space.

gbgary
01-20-2008, 10:25 PM

he denied the confirmation.

BF4MVP
01-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Haha well played, PIP..Last year I had a hunch he would come back..This year I have no idea whether the Favre era will continue for one more year or if he's going to step aside and hand the reins to Aaron..

packinpatland
01-20-2008, 10:26 PM

he denied the confirmation.

When?

MJZiggy
01-20-2008, 11:35 PM
A few days ago.

BallHawk
01-20-2008, 11:36 PM
A few days ago.

It seemed like he did it just because MM told him not to be a distraction.