PDA

View Full Version : The Offseason Begins

Brando19
01-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Now that our season is over, what moves do you hope to see in the offseason? Any free agents that are appealing? I personally hope to get Asante Samuel from the Pats.

Jimx29
01-20-2008, 10:29 PM
All I know is as of right now, and until preseason, i'm wasting time and $$$$ having the NFL network.

packers11
01-20-2008, 10:31 PM
its to longgg... Maybe it hasn't hit me yet but next week there will be no more games for a long time.... I hate the offseason :(

CaliforniaCheez
01-21-2008, 03:02 AM
Free Agents

Truly Free

Corey Williams
Frank Walker
Tyson Walter
Tracey White
Rob Davis
Craig Nall ??? http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071201/PKR01/71201044/1989 article and Packer website are unclear.

Restricted

Colin Cole
Ryan Krause
Vernand Morency
Noah Herron

Exclusive (Staying unless Packers want them gone. Packers can low ball.)

Atari Bigby
Ruvell Martin
John Kuhn
Ryan Grant
Tory Humphrey
Tony Palmer

The NFL Scouting Combine is February 20-26th.

Free agency signing period begins Monday March 3rd.

The offseason workout program should begin March 24th.

NFL Winter Meetings take place March 30th-April 3rd. Watch for rule changes.

It appears the Packers have the 30th pick in the draft on April 26th and 27th.

It will likely be April before compensatory draft picks are announced.
The value of the Supplemental Pick(s) for Ahman Green and David Martin less Frank Walker is determined in a secret ceremony by methods known to no one outside the room.

pbmax
01-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Can't cite a source, but Nall has to be a FA. Signed end of season after being released by the Bills, had to be for vet minimum and the single year. What other offers would he have?

Corey Williams is a mystery to me. The G-men couldn't run up the middle in the first half, then ran us over with Bradshaw in the 2nd. The line was gassed. He moved down the line to make a nice tackle after Pickett closed the hole on the outside. Bradshaw did make many of his yards on the edges.

But Williams always seems to get pushed back ot the point of attack. I am not sure he is a starter on a good defense. Pass rusher? Yep. Rotation? Yep. A Kampman deal, where he is a steal by the end of FA, OK. But not frontline starter money.

Partial
01-21-2008, 08:29 AM
I would resign Tracy White, Corey Williams, Ruvell Martin, Atari Bigby, John Kuhn, Rob Davis, Colin Cole, Vernand Morency, Ryan Grant and Tory Humphrey.

Even if they don't all make the roster, you might as well let them come in and compete.

run pMc
01-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Resign their exclusives, esp. Grant. Resign Rob Davis and Tracy White. Get some more youth and depth at CB, OL, and maybe S.
I think TT is more inclined to use the salary cap $ on resigning current players than spending it in FA.
I'm bummed they lost and are done for the season, but it was a longer and happier season than I expected.

Jerry Tagge
01-21-2008, 10:10 AM
I would resign Tracy White, Corey Williams, Ruvell Martin, Atari Bigby, John Kuhn, Rob Davis, Colin Cole, Vernand Morency, Ryan Grant and Tory Humphrey.

Even if they don't all make the roster, you might as well let them come in and compete.
Williams might want too much money, plus we have Jolly and Cole coming back.

Let's also not forget TT drafted Harrell in the first round. I expect Harrell to be on the field more next year.

I expect Cole to be back with the team. I think Corey Williams played his last game in a Packers uniform.

BallHawk
01-21-2008, 10:13 AM
For the love of God, I hope Cole isn't a Packer next season. Muir brings much more to the table.

Partial
01-21-2008, 10:14 AM
OK, but you cannot count of JGJ when he has shown a knack for being injured.

If we learned anything this season, it was that TT knew what he was doing with all that DL depth and having more probably would have been a good thing.

BallHawk
01-21-2008, 10:25 AM
OK, but you cannot count of JGJ when he has shown a knack for being injured.

If we learned anything this season, it was that TT knew what he was doing with all that DL depth and having more probably would have been a good thing.

If there is one thing you can't have too many of in the NFL, it's Defensive Lineman.

And that's one of the reasons why I'm leaning towards wanting to give Corey his money.

Ballboy
01-21-2008, 10:34 AM
It will be very interesting with C.Williams, I think he has to come back, but with JH and JJ along with Pickett, I can't see the Packers spending money on a part time player.

Agreed we need to look long and hard at OL and DB. College just gets me sometimes and I'm not sure if Coston is the answer.

I do have a secret desire.....what about Lance Briggs? I know we have the money, I know its not TT style, but defense wins, plain and simple.

I love Brett, and I'm not afraid to admit it. But last night after the game a calm fell over me. For the past 17 years I've enjoyed watching him play, yes I will be sad to see him go. At this point, I'm OK with him hanging it up. No, I don't think Rogers is the next big thing, I'm really not sure what it is.

Partial
01-21-2008, 10:38 AM
It will be very interesting with C.Williams, I think he has to come back, but with JH and JJ along with Pickett, I can't see the Packers spending money on a part time player.

Agreed we need to look long and hard at OL and DB. College just gets me sometimes and I'm not sure if Coston is the answer.

I do have a secret desire.....what about Lance Briggs? I know we have the money, I know its not TT style, but defense wins, plain and simple.

I love Brett, and I'm not afraid to admit it. But last night after the game a calm fell over me. For the past 17 years I've enjoyed watching him play, yes I will be sad to see him go. At this point, I'm OK with him hanging it up. No, I don't think Rogers is the next big thing, I'm really not sure what it is.

Rotate him in at DE and make him a near full-time player. They need someone to take 15 or so snaps away from Kamp a game. He wasn't at all effective towards the end of this season.

Joemailman
01-21-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm having a tough time figuring out where the Packers go from here in the off-season. They won 13 games, but got dominated on both sides of the ball when it counted most. Yet, there aren't a lot of positions where it seems there is likely to be a change in the starting lineup next year. Safety and Left Guard perhaps. Will this be another off-season of building depth and counting on young guys to develop, which did happen this year? Or are there guys who we think of as solid starters who will be replaced?

BallHawk
01-21-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm having a tough time figuring out where the Packers go from here in the off-season. They won 13 games, but got dominated on both sides of the ball when it counted most. Yet, there aren't a lot of positions where it seems there is likely to be a change in the starting lineup next year. Safety and Left Guard perhaps. Will this be another off-season of building depth and counting on young guys to develop, which did happen this year? Or are there guys who we think of as solid starters who will be replaced?

Nick Collins needs to be replaced with Rouse. I've slowly accepted that Collins is not, nor ever will be, a good safety. Great athlete, but no instincts whatsoever. Give me a hard-hitter with instincts like Rouse.

Rouse and Bigby would be a very nice tandem.

We need another DE to take pressure of Kampy. Nothing great, but a solid guy. Maybe R-Kal Truluck is available. :lol:

I'm starting to think that maybe all the OL needs is time. They looked decent in the playoffs. I'm interested to see how Barbe will progress.

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2008, 10:51 AM

I will actually agree with this list, although I wouldn't break the bank on Williams because 2009 is not nearly as friendly to us in terms of overall free agents.

I like Asante Samuels and I hope the Packers give it a legit shot at going after him. I like the youth the Packers have in the secondary, but some like Bush and Williams are just too rough around the edges, and Blackmon can't seem to get over his foot injury.

Jerry Tagge
01-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Sometimes all players need are experience. I remember Robert Brooks muffing punts and dropping passes in his rookie year. I remember Craig Newsome and Doug Evans getting beat deep. I remember an offensive line that couldn't run block and had some problems with pass protections. I remember Dorsey Levens not running very well his first couple of years.

Yes, the Packers have some players they need to replace. I agree that Collins should be replaced with Bigby. I also think we need a SAM for Poppinga. He plays with a lot of heart but can't cover the TE.

Packers are close to a Super Bowl. I think this year's experience will help the team, even with a disappointing loss to the Giants.

There were way more positives than negatives this year, something that hasn't happened for quite some time. I think the Packers will be even better next year if the young players develop and the entire team - players and coaches - learn from their mistakes.

Patler
01-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Sometimes all players need are experience. I remember Robert Brooks muffing punts and dropping passes in his rookie year. I remember Craig Newsome and Doug Evans getting beat deep. I remember an offensive line that couldn't run block and had some problems with pass protections. I remember Dorsey Levens not running very well his first couple of years.

Spitz, for example is way ahead of where Marco Rivera was at a comparable stage. Rivera didn't even become a starter until his third season, and wasn't very good then. He got better each year for quite a few years. Spitz could follow a similar path. He seemed to settle in a bit the last half of the season.

Partial
01-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Some positions I would like to see TT address are the interior offensive line (I would like to have a running game that opens up the pass, not the other way around), more depth on the DL (Someone to cut Kampmans snaps by 20-25% so he is more effective late in the season), two new cornerbacks to compete with the starters and for the nickel spot, another tight end, and some depth at linebacker, hopefully relieving Popp of his starting spot.

I am hopeful Ted brings in another 10-11 guys in the draft. It seems to work out fairly well and we end up with a few good players regardless of what round they were picked in. It would be nice to go into next season with some confidence in the back-ups at our key positions like the tackles, the DEs, and the CBs.

Patler
01-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Some positions I would like to see TT address are the interior offensive line (I would like to have a running game that opens up the pass, not the other way around), more depth on the DL (Someone to cut Kampmans snaps by 20-25% so he is more effective late in the season), two new cornerbacks to compete with the starters and for the nickel spot, another tight end, and some depth at linebacker, hopefully relieving Popp of his starting spot.

I am hopeful Ted brings in another 10-11 guys in the draft. It seems to work out fairly well and we end up with a few good players regardless of what round they were picked in. It would be nice to go into next season with some confidence in the back-ups at our key positions like the tackles, the DEs, and the CBs.

I agree. He has brought in DTs, but not DEs capable in the running game. He needs one, because Montgomery is not it. Careers go fast. Kampman will already be in his 7th season next season. He has played a lot of snaps the last 3 seasons, but going forward may need to be in more of a rotation to maintain his effectiveness.

GB really needs a corner who comes in and impresses everyone. I thought Blackmon might be one, but his career has been stuck in neutral. I expect they will need at least one new starter at corner by 2009, if not both.

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Needs
1. secondary, the Packers will return all four starters and do have some younger talent in back up positions. Age is a concern at the two cornerback positions and the young talent is still rough around the edges to predict if a starting caliber corner can be made out of Bush, Williams, and Blackmon. Collins is simply not an impact player at safety and Bigby is still shows that he can be a liability in coverage. Bigby's play has improved throughout the season and had one very good game in the playoffs and and one good game against the Giants in run support. Aaron Rouse is still the number one back up followed by Charlie Peprah. Rouse has shown a knack for big hits on special teams, and ability to jump routes in his short time as a starter in the middle of the season for the Packers.

2. Offensive Line, the Packers have age concerns at the tackle positions, but Clifton and Tauscher still have at least one year left in the tank, there is no need to address the tackle situation in free agency. At left tackle Darryn Colledge still seems like the best choice to slide into that position when Clifton is done. Colledge has struggled at left guard and next season will be a make or break year for both him and Spitz as starters. There is nothing but youth behind them on the roster. Scott Wells has struggled at times this season being bullied at the point of attack. He is the Packers best linemen at getting blocks at the next level but when he is asked to block guys at the line of scrimmage he usually falters. A bigger more athletic center could be groomed from the 2008 draft to take his place. If the Packers really want to get better in a hurry along the offensive line, especially the interior of the line they will address it strongly in free agency.

3. Linebacker, Hawk and Barnett both had very good seasons. Poppinga had a good season for Brady Poppinga, he didn't get hurt he made some plays, but the fact is there is nothing special about him outside of his work ethic. He is a liability in coverage and lacks football instincts. He is a brute that can make big hits when blocking fails, but once a hand is layed on him he has trouble making the play. He suffers against cut back runs due to over pursuit. The Packers could hope that Hodge gets healthy in the off season and can add to the mix at strongside linebacker, or the Packers could look early in the draft for an up an coming player that has some coverage ability. Free agency could be an option but more interms of special team help and for depth, think Ben Taylor.

4. Defensive End, Aaron Kampman ran out of gas at the end of the year, he only required one on one blocking and he struggled disengaging from blockers. He lacked push on his bull rush and got little penatration. He simply can't be asked to 60 plays game in and game out, he needs a player to take some plays for him that can make a splash. the Packers were more concerned with the right defensive end spot with Jenkins and KGB. Jenkins has been a let down this season after signing his extension. Jenkins is ok against the run, and KGB did well when he was used for less than thirty plays a game, but at the same time KGB is still a one trick pony, he lacks more than a speed rush. Montgomery is so so coming back from injury and he will again have to fight for a roster spot. I can see the Packers addressing the depth at defensive end in the draft.

5. Running Back, as good as Ryan Grant has been, he has only done it for one half of a season. The Packers simply have no consistent player at running back on their roster. The most veteran player is Morency who just finished his third season. Bringing in multiple veterans for depth and support if Ryan Grant is a one hit wonder would not be a bad idea. Otherwise the Packers have all the youth they need at this position with Grant, Jackson and Wynn. All have talent and bringing in more rookies to compete with them might not make sense at this point.

6. Punter, probably a bigger need for a punter than some other positions, but Ryan is just average, and someone needs to be brought in to compete with him in camp.

7. Quarterback, Favre might hang it up. if so that leaves one signed player in Aaron Rodgers, and although he has looked decent in limited play against Dallas and in pre season he is still relatively unproven player. If Favre doesn't come back it is Rodger's job to lose and will most likely be the starter for at least one season. If Rodgers can't stay healthy the Packers will have issues. The Packers will have to bring in at least one solid veteran to back Rodgers up, and then draft one if not two players to groom as Rodger's future back up.

8. Receiver, this is a solid group, but Koren Robinson is an average receiver with history, and Ruvell Martin just hasn't gotten leaps and bounds better. Sure going into camp with the current five makes it a top group in the NFL, but knowing Thompson if he thinks a wide receiver is the best player on his list when drafting anywhere in the draft don't be suprised to see him take a receiver in the first 3 or 4 rounds, especially one with return abilities. Outside of drafting a best player available, I don't see the need for addressing this position in free agency outside of camp bodies. The tight end position is much better going into 2008 than it was going into 2007. Donald Lee is a legitimate threat anywhere on the field and he is also an above average blocker. This team is also much better when Bubba Franks is healthy. He is still one of the best blocking tigh ends in football and his hands seemed to have improved from 2007. Franks is set to make some serious money in 2008, but unless the Packers look to improve through the draft with a big time player, it looks to me that the Packers will be a stronger team with both Bubba and Lee on the team. Depth is a concern with only Krause getting any playing time outside of Bubba and Lee.

packrulz
01-21-2008, 12:02 PM

I agree. He has brought in DTs, but not DEs capable in the running game. He needs one, because Montgomery is not it. Careers go fast. Kampman will already be in his 7th season next season. He has played a lot of snaps the last 3 seasons, but going forward may need to be in more of a rotation to maintain his effectiveness.

GB really needs a corner who comes in and impresses everyone. I thought Blackmon might be one, but his career has been stuck in neutral. I expect they will need at least one new starter at corner by 2009, if not both.

CB is definately a need for the Pack, Harris and Woodson are getting old, but I feel the Packers got beat in the trenches, I'm willing to forgive the DL because they were on the field for so long, but the offensive guard position was a pain for M3 all year, and they were manhandled by the Giants D-line, 28 yards rushing for the Pack the entire game! Still, I'm hoping for a good CB or DE in the 1st round and hope to find a project guard in the later rounds.

Badgerinmaine
01-21-2008, 12:12 PM
I'd move a couple of things around, but I think Nutz is on the mark. Ryan isn't so bad that I would want to pick a punter before the 6th round, but I think the camp competition idea's good. Other than getting some secondary help, I think the Packers might be in a "best player available" mode on draft day.

CaliforniaCheez
01-21-2008, 12:25 PM
1) CB to get a good one you really have to draft one.

2) OLB and TE depth can be addressed in free agency as well as the draft.

3) A back up Center who can long snap would be a nice find in the draft.

4) Nall is a good 3rd QB. But signing him puts off the inevitable. There is a need for a young QB that will take 3 years to develop.

5) DE KGB has 2 years left on his contract. He may start losing speed as he ages. Kampmann could use a reliever.

So I see #1 and #5 being high draft picks. 2,3,4 can be later rounds.

Patler
01-21-2008, 12:28 PM
CB is definately a need for the Pack, Harris and Woodson are getting old, but I feel the Packers got beat in the trenches, I'm willing to forgive the DL because they were on the field for so long, but the offensive guard position was a pain for M3 all year, and they were manhandled by the Giants D-line, 28 yards rushing for the Pack the entire game! Still, I'm hoping for a good CB or DE in the 1st round and hope to find a project guard in the later rounds.

I'm not sure that the defense can be forgiven that much. After all you get off the field by stopping the other team, and the defense allowed a 14 play drive for a fieldgoal the first time the Giants had the ball. That was after the Packers offense had it for 6 plays, 25 yards and punted to the 18. To start the second half, they gave up a 12 play drive for a touchdown following the second half kickoff, and threw in two penalties for first downs on third downs to boot. Two drives for 26 plays and 10 points the first times the Giants had the ball in the halves. Absolutely no fault of the offense on those.

Patler
01-21-2008, 12:44 PM
...but the offensive guard position was a pain for M3 all year, and they were manhandled by the Giants D-line, 28 yards rushing for the Pack the entire game! Still, I'm hoping for a good CB or DE in the 1st round and hope to find a project guard in the later rounds.

I really can't get too upset about the failure of the ground game. Grant had 7 carries in the first half and just 6 in the second. MM always says it should be a 2 yard, 2 yard, 2 yard, 2 yard, all the way type attack. A wear them out attack, with yards per carry going up each quarter. Grants carries:

1st half - 2, 2, 3, 2, 0,1, 2
2nd half - 2, 13, 0, 7, -7, 2.

13 carries for Grant, 35 passing attempts for Favre. MM abandons the running game very quickly if it struggles early.

packrulz
01-21-2008, 01:21 PM
...but the offensive guard position was a pain for M3 all year, and they were manhandled by the Giants D-line, 28 yards rushing for the Pack the entire game! Still, I'm hoping for a good CB or DE in the 1st round and hope to find a project guard in the later rounds.

I really can't get too upset about the failure of the ground game. Grant had 7 carries in the first half and just 6 in the second. MM always says it should be a 2 yard, 2 yard, 2 yard, 2 yard, all the way type attack. A wear them out attack, with yards per carry going up each quarter. Grants carries:

1st half - 2, 2, 3, 2, 0,1, 2
2nd half - 2, 13, 0, 7, -7, 2.

13 carries for Grant, 35 passing attempts for Favre. MM abandons the running game very quickly if it struggles early.

Hmmm, I never read where MM always says it should be a 2 yd attack, 2 & 3 yd rushes aren't good enough, 10 running plays gained 2 yds or less, according to your stats, so MM did try to run the ball, unsuccessfully. 28 yds rushing the entire game is horrible, Grant has swarmed by the Giants D, due directly to poor blocking by the guards. Passing Favre had TD's to Driver and Lee and that was all that was working at the time, and they ended up going into OT. The OG got their asses kicked in run blocking, that's why the Packers lost, the defense was on the field for 40 minutes, of course they got tired. You know how many 3rd down conversions the Pack had the entire game? 1.

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Out of the box draft here
1st round, Justin King CB Penn St
2nd round, Jason Jones DE Eastern Michigan
3rd round, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB Tennessee St
4th round, Shawn Crable OLB Michigan
5th round, Chad Rinehart OT Northern Iowa
6th round, Owen Schmitt FB West Virgina
7th round, Sam Keller QB Nebraska

I know the Packers don't have 6th pick and they would have some conditional picks due to free agent departures. But I thought it was some early fun.

Patler
01-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Hmmm, I never read where MM always says it should be a 2 yd attack, 2 & 3 yd rushes aren't good enough

I think you misunderstood what I meant. (Poor wording on my part). MM has said it is a running attack that you have to commit to, because it is the type of attack that will have a lot of plays with small gains (two yarders) but then a cut back lane opens and you break one for 10-20 yards or or all the way. He has said that several times. It should have few lost yardage plays and quite a few short gains punctuated with real long gains. He also said it is a "wear them down" top of attack that pays its greatest rewards late in the game if you stick with it and the big d-linemen get tired of being cut.

Partial
01-21-2008, 01:38 PM

I know the Packers don't have 6th pick and they would have some conditional picks due to free agent departures. But I thought it was some early fun.

I would love Owen Schmitt. Dude is intense as can be and unlike Poppinga he could be a very effective H-back/TE kind of player. He's probably too big to be the base fullback according to what the scheme calls for.

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2008, 01:41 PM

I would love Owen Schmitt. Dude is intense as can be and unlike Poppinga he could be a very effective H-back/TE kind of player. He's probably too big to be the base fullback according to what the scheme calls for.

Poppinga doesn't play offense? :oops:

Partial
01-21-2008, 01:42 PM
I meant he's an intense dude who can be a good player, unlike Poppinga who is just an intense dude.

Patler
01-21-2008, 01:43 PM
28 yds rushing the entire game is horrible, Grant has swarmed by the Giants D, due directly to poor blocking by the guards. .

I would argue that only 13 rushing attempts id horrible. I'm not suggesting the blocking was good, but 7 carries in the first half and 6 in the second is hardly enough to get the running game going, and that was my point. For all his talk, MM has never stuck with the running game if it doesn't produce quite quickly.

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2008, 01:45 PM
I meant he's an intense dude who can be a good player, unlike Poppinga who is just an intense dude.

I fallow what you are saying.

Jerry Tagge
01-21-2008, 01:48 PM

Poppinga doesn't play offense? :oops:
Maybe he wants him to be a Mike Vrabel type. LB on defense and plays TE on goal line plays.

Vrabel has more than a few TD's coming in at TE. Unlike Kevin Barry.

Patler
01-21-2008, 01:49 PM
the defense was on the field for 40 minutes, of course they got tired. You know how many 3rd down conversions the Pack had the entire game? 1.

The defense has no one to blame but themselves for their dismal performance in the Giants first possession of the first half, and their even more dismal performance in the Giants opening possession of the second half. Combined 26 plays, over 15:00 minutes time of possession, a bushel of penalties and 10 points. The ineffectiveness of the offense had nothing to do with the performance of the defense in either of those drives. They were not ready to start either half on defense.

Jerry Tagge
01-21-2008, 01:49 PM
28 yds rushing the entire game is horrible, Grant has swarmed by the Giants D, due directly to poor blocking by the guards. .

I would argue that only 13 rushing attempts id horrible. I'm not suggesting the blocking was good, but 7 carries in the first half and 6 in the second is hardly enough to get the running game going, and that was my point. For all his talk, MM has never stuck with the running game if it doesn't produce quite quickly.
This is what he has in common with Mike Holmgren. He did the same thing.

At least he's not Lindy Infante, who never tried to establish a running game.

packrulz
01-21-2008, 01:52 PM

I agree with that, all it takes is one good run to make the Giants D honest and then the play action would work better.

Partial
01-21-2008, 02:03 PM
You think Crable will be available in the 4th? I would love to have him. He's a solid Blitzer. How do you think he is in coverage?

Joemailman
01-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Crable looks to be best suited as an OLB in a 3-4. He'd almost certainly not be a starter in a 4-3. However, he seems to be a good blitzer, so he might be worth a look in round 4-5. Also the type of guy who could be a special teams ace.

twoseven
01-21-2008, 02:52 PM

I will actually agree with this list, although I wouldn't break the bank on Williams because 2009 is not nearly as friendly to us in terms of overall free agents.

I like Asante Samuels and I hope the Packers give it a legit shot at going after him. I like the youth the Packers have in the secondary, but some like Bush and Williams are just too rough around the edges, and Blackmon can't seem to get over his foot injury.
Nutz, let's say we can sign Samuels, what to do then with Harris/Wood? Any thoughts on trading Harris? I too advocate for AS, but am not sure how to squeeze him in. Your thoughts?

twoseven
01-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Rat brethren with big brains, your comments on these FAs please:
(I think they're all unrestricted FAs, could be wrong)

Albert Haynesworth, DT, TENN

Allan Faneca, G, PITT

Asante Samuels, CB, NE

Lance Briggs, OLB, CHI

Marlon Mcree, S, SD

Michael Turner, RB, SD

HarveyWallbangers
01-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Albert Haynesworth, DT, TENN

Finally played well in a contract year. I wouldn't pay him what he's going to get paid.

Alan Faneca, G, PITT

He's getting up there in age, but I wouldn't mind the Packers going after him.

Asante Samuels, CB, NE

We aren't going to get a big-name FA corner. Not with Harris and Woodson on the roster. I still think he's partly a system's corner--which means I don't think he'll be as good as he looks in New England if he goes elsewhere.

Lance Briggs, OLB, CHI

I like him, but teams just don't pay third LBs big money. With Barnett and Hawk in Green Bay, a third LB sees the field about 50% of the defensive snaps.

Marlon McCree, S, SD

He's actually been pretty good in San Diego.

Michael Turner, RB, SD

He's going to want a chance to start, and with Grant here, that might not happen.

The only big-name FAs I could see them going after are DE (Jenkins could move inside if they got a guy like Jared Allen), OG, and possibly S. Otherwise, I see them going after prospects (for depth and long-term potential) at RB, TE, DL, LB, CB. I don't expect a big splash to be made in FA--although a guy like Faneca would be intriguing.

Bretsky
01-21-2008, 05:16 PM
For gosh sakes get one strong run blocking OG. My expectations are we look for value free agents if any and keep building through the draft. I'm fine by that but I'd like to see some power come in at OG. The Giants manhandled them yesterday.

twoseven
01-21-2008, 05:20 PM
For gosh sakes get one strong run blocking OG. My expectations are we look for value free agents if any and keep building through the draft. I'm fine by that but I'd like to see some power come in at OG. The Giants manhandled them yesterday.
Faneca.

Bretsky
01-21-2008, 05:46 PM
I'd be all for it

Joemailman
01-21-2008, 05:51 PM
I agree about Faneca. I wasn't critical Of TT for not doing much in FA last year, but Faneca would make running game better instantly.

Ballboy
01-21-2008, 06:48 PM
What are your thoughts on Marcus Trufant? TT drafted him 5 years ago in Seattle and word on the Seattle sites(I like to read about Holmgren) is that they have spent to much money in other places and maynot/cannot afford him?

He is still young, had 80 some tackles this year. Better than what anything we can get in the draft, with Asante he maynot earn that much $$$.

I do like the thoughts of Briggs....would he replace Poppy?

Partial
01-21-2008, 06:54 PM
I would be all for Faneca as well because he brings several things:

1) Run blocking skills. The man is a road grader

2) Pedigree. He has won a super bowl and been around the block. You can never have too much experience.

3) Talent. He'd be an immediate upgrade over Colledge and that would make the line as a whole that much better.

4) Size. He'd beef up our interior line

5) Toughness. He's a bad dude.

red
01-21-2008, 07:06 PM
LOL

you guys crack me up

we WILL NOT be signing any big named players. if we do sign anyone it will someone that non of us has ever heard of that spent last season on someones practice squad.

its just a waste of time and energy to try and name names as to who we should get

TT is not going to do it

Bretsky
01-21-2008, 07:20 PM
LOL

you guys crack me up

we WILL NOT be signing any big named players. if we do sign anyone it will someone that non of us has ever heard of that spent last season on someones practice squad.

its just a waste of time and energy to try and name names as to who we should get

TT is not going to do it

I completely agree with you Red; we are allowed the dream though :lol:

Joemailman
01-21-2008, 08:07 PM
LOL

you guys crack me up

TT is not going to do it

If he feels Faneca can have the kind of impact on the offense that Charles Woodson had on the defense, he might do it. He will not spend big money on someone who he feels will have only a modest impact.

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2008, 08:26 PM

Nutz, let's say we can sign Samuels, what to do then with Harris/Wood? Any thoughts on trading Harris? I too advocate for AS, but am not sure how to squeeze him in. Your thoughts?

Honestly I don't think the Packers would want to pay him 80 million dollars, the same goes for Trufant.

Thompson isn't one to throw a lot of money at guards which is too bad because Allan Faneca is one of the top free agents out there, and his play speaks for itself.

b bulldog
01-21-2008, 08:41 PM
One guy I would take TOTAL RISK ON if the money was right for GB is Shawn Rodgers. If and it may be a huge if but if a fire could be lit under him, he is unblockable. With him and the big grease, nobody would be able to run in the interior.

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2008, 08:46 PM
One guy I would take TOTAL RISK ON if the money was right for GB is Shawn Rodgers. If and it may be a huge if but if a fire could be lit under him, he is unblockable. With him and the big grease, nobody would be able to run in the interior.

Rodgers quit on his team this year, and that behavior Thompson might get a deal.

b bulldog
01-21-2008, 08:48 PM
I agree and that is why he could be had on the cheap but he is a risk but he oozes talent for a man his size. If motivated, a run stuffer who can totally collapse a pocket.

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2008, 08:59 PM
I agree and that is why he could be had on the cheap but he is a risk but he oozes talent for a man his size. If motivated, a run stuffer who can totally collapse a pocket.

He was easily one of the top defensive tackles heading into this season, but he was out of shape.

Lurker64
01-21-2008, 09:14 PM
The only big-name FAs I could see them going after are DE (Jenkins could move inside if they got a guy like Jared Allen), OG, and possibly S. Otherwise, I see them going after prospects (for depth and long-term potential) at RB, TE, DL, LB, CB. I don't expect a big splash to be made in FA--although a guy like Faneca would be intriguing.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Thompson goes after Dallas Clark, assuming Indy lets him hit the market. We don't really have a great need for a pass catching TE, but he's a good player and I don't really understand Ted Thompson.

Joemailman
01-21-2008, 09:30 PM
You never know about a guy like Rodgers. Some guys just get sick of losing, and can improve their attitude if they get a chance to play with a winner.

Bretsky
01-21-2008, 09:35 PM

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Thompson goes after Dallas Clark, assuming Indy lets him hit the market. We don't really have a great need for a pass catching TE, but he's a good player and I don't really understand Ted Thompson.\\\\

IMO Clark will get franchised

HarveyWallbangers
01-21-2008, 09:40 PM
It's hard to find an up-to-date FA list right now, but these are the FAs as far as I know. An asterisk means they player may or may not be a FA (there's a team or player option for a voidable last year).

QB

Brian St. Pierre, Pit
Chris Redman, Atl
Cleo Lemon, Mia
Craig Nall, GB
Duante Culpepper, Oak
J.T. O'Sullivan, Det
Jamie Martin, NO
Josh McCown, Oak
Ken Dorsey, Cle
Mark Brunell, Was*
Marques Tuiasosopo, NYJ
Quinn Gray, Jac
Rex Grossman, Chi
Sam Hollenbach, Was
Shaun Hill, SF
Tim Hasselbeck, Ari
Tim Rattay, Ari
Todd Collins, Was

RB

Aaron Stecker, NO
Aveion Cason, Det
B.J. Sams, Bal
Brad Hoover, Car
Cecil Sapp, Den
Chris Brown, Ten
Dan Kreider, Pit
Darian Barnes, NYJ
Derrick Ward, NYG
Greg Jones, Jac*
Jamal Lewis, Cle
Jesse Chatman, Mia
Jon Bradley, Det
Julius Jones, Dal*
Justin Fargas, Oak
Kris Wilson, KC
LaBrandon Toefield, Jac
Maurice Hicks, SF
Mewelde Moore, Min
Michael Bennett, TB
Michael Pittman, TB*
Michael Turner, SD
Musa Smith, Bal
Reno Mahe, Phi
ReShard Lee, Oak
Ricky Williams, Mia
Rock Cartwright, Was*
Ron Dayne, Hou
Ryan Neufeld, Buf
T.J. Duckett, Det
Tatum Bell, Det*
Thomas Tapeh, Phi
Tony Richardson, Min
Travis Minor, StL
Verron Haynes, Pit

WR

Aaron Moorehead, Ind
Andre' Davis, Hou
Antonio Chatman, Cin
Bernard Berrian, Chi
Bryant Johnson, Ari
D.J. Hackett, Sea
David Patten, NO
Devard Darling, Bal
Devery Henderson, NO
Drew Carter, Car
Eddie Drummond, KC
Eric Moulds, Ten
Ernest Wilford, Jac
Jabar Gaffney, NE
Jason Carter, Car
Jerry Porter, Oak*
Justin Gage, Ten
Keary Colbert, Car
Keenan McCardell, Was
Mark Jones, TB
Michael Lewis, SF
Randy Moss, NE
Reche Caldwell, Was
Robert Ferguson, Min
Sam Aiken, Buf
Samie Parker, KC
Terrence Copper, NO
Tim Carter, Cle
Travis Taylor, Car
Troy Brown, NE
Troy Walters, Det

TE

Aaron Walker, StL
Anthony Becht, TB*
Ben Hartsock, Ten
Ben Joppru, Sea
Ben Troupe, Ten
Billy Miller, NO
Bo Scaife, Ten
Brian Kozlowski, Was
Christian Fauria, Car
Courtney Anderson, Atl
Dallas Clark, Ind*
Dwayne Blakley, Atl
Eric Johnson, NO
Jerramy Stevens, TB
John Gilmore, Chi
L.J. Smith, Phi
Marcus Pollard, Sea
Mark Bruener, Hou
Matt Murphy, Buf
Michael Gaines, Buf
Mike Seidman, Ind
Nate Jackson, Den
Sean Ryan, NYJ
Stephen Alexander, Den

OC

Alex Stepanovich, Cin
Brett Romberg, StL
Casey Wiegmann, KC
Eugene Amano, Ten
Jeff Faine, NO*
Jeremy Newberry, Oak
John Wade, TB*
Jonathan Goodwin, NO
Matt Lehr, TB
Mike Pucillo, Was
Tyson Walter, GB
Wade Smith, NYJ

OG

Adam Goldberg, StL
Alan Faneca, Pit
Andy McCollum, StL
Chris Liwienski, Mia
Floyd Womack, Sea
Fred Weary, Hou
Gene Mruczkowski, Mia
Jacob Bell, Ten
Jake Scott, Ind
Jamar Nesbit, NO
Jason Fabini, Was
Jason Whittle, Buf
Justin Smiley, SF
Keydrick Vincent, Ari
Larry Allen, SF
Lennie Friedman, Cle
Milford Brown, StL
Rex Hadnot, Mia
Rick DeMulling, Was
Ross Tucker, Was
Ruben Brown, Chi
Ryan Lilja, Ind
Seth McKinney, Cle
Stacy Andrews, Cin
Todd Steussie, StL

OT

Adrian Jones, KC
Brandon Gorin, StL
Cornell Green, Oak
Flozell Adams, Dal
George Foster, Det*
Jordan Gross, Car
Kwame Harris, SF*
Kyle Turley, KC
Maurice Williams, Jac
Max Starks, Pit
Mike Rosenthal, Mia
Nat Dorsey, Cle
Sean Locklear, Sea
Stockar McDougle, Jac
Travelle Wharton, Car

DE

Al Wallace, Buf
Anthony Hargrove, Buf
Antwan Odom, Ten
Bobby McCray, Jac
Bryan Robinson, Cin
Chris Clemons, Oak
Corey Smith, Det
Darrion Scott, Min
Demetric Evans, Was*
Ebeneezer Ekuban, Den
Eric Hicks, NYJ
Jared Allen, KC
Jerome McDougle, Phi*
Jimmy Wilkerson, KC
Joe Tafoya, Ari
John Engelberger, Den*
Josh Thomas, Ind
Justin Smith, Cin
Marques Douglas, SF
Mike Rucker, Car
N.D. Kalu, Hou
Nick Eason, Pit
Renaldo Wynn, NO
Ross Kolodziej, Ari
Tommy Kelly, Oak
Travis Kirschke, Pit
Travis LaBoy, Ten

DT

Albert Haynesworth, Ten
Antonio Garay, Chi
Brian Young, NO
Cedric Killings, Hou
Chartric Darby, Sea
Corey Williams, GB
Craig Terrill, Sea
Damione Lewis, Car
Dan Klecko, Ind
Ellis Wyms, Sea
Ethan Kelley, Cle
Isaac Sopoaga, SF
Kimo Von Oelhoffen, Phi
Kindal Moorehead, Car
Randy Starks, Ten
Rodney Bailey, Ari
Russell Davis, NYG
Ryan Boschetti, Was
Ryan Sims, TB
Spencer Johnson, Min
Ted Washington, Cle
Tim Anderson, Atl
Tyler Brayton, Oak*
William Joseph, NYG*

LB

Boss Bailey, Det
Brad Kassell, NYJ
Brandon Chillar, StL
Brendon Ayanbadejo, Chi
Calvin Pace, Ari
Charlie Anderson, Hou
Chaun Thompson, Cle
Clark Haggans, Pit
Danny Clark, Hou
Demorrio Williams, Atl
Derrick Pope, Mia
Dhani Jones, Cin
Donnie Spragan, Mia
Dontarrious Thomas, Min
Donte' Curry, Car
Gilbert Gardner, Ten
Jamie Winborn, Den
Jeremiah Trotter, TB
Josh Stamer, Buf
Junior Seau, NE
Karlos Dansby, Ari
Kawika Mitchell, NYG
Kevin Bentley, Sea
Keyaron Fox, KC
Khary Campbell, Was*
Lance Briggs, Chi
Landon Johnson, Cin
Larry Izzo, NE
Lemar Marshall, Cin
Mario Haggan, Buf
Marquis Cooper, Pit
Matt Stewart, Cle
Na'il Diggs, Car
Nick Greisen, Bal
Niko Koutouvides, Sea
Randall Godfrey, Was
Raonall Smith, StL
Reggie Torbor, NYG
Rocky Boiman, Ind
Sam Williams, Oak
Shawntee Orr, Jac
Teddy Lehman, Det
Tedy Bruschi, NE
Terrell Suggs, Bal
Terrence Melton, Car
Tony Gilbert, Jac
Tracy White, GB
Victor Hobson, NYJ

CB

Aaron Glenn, Jac
Asante Samuel, NE
Benny Sapp, KC
Brian Kelly, TB*
Chad Scott, NE
Curtis Deloatch, Car
Dante Wesley, Car
David Macklin, Was
Dexter Wynn, Hou
Donald Strickland, SF
Drayton Florence, SD
Frank Walker, GB
Fred Thomas, NO
Hank Poteat, NYJ
Jacque Reeves, Dal
Jason Webster, Buf
Keith Smith, Det
Keiwan Ratliff, Ind
Marcus Trufant, Sea*
Michael Lehan, Mia
Nathan Jones, Dal
Nnadmi Asomugha, Oak*
Omare Lowe, Atl
Ralph Brown, Ari
Randall Gay, NE
Ricardo Colclough, Cle
Roc Alexander, Hou
Sammy Davis, TB
Terry Cousin, Jac
Tony Beckham, Det
Travis Fisher, Det
William James, Phi

S

Bryan Scott, Buf
Chris Crocker, Atl
Deke Cooper, Car
Donnie Nickey, Ten
Erik Coleman, NYJ
Eugene Wilson, NE
Gary Baxter, Cle
Gerome Sapp, Bal
Gibril Wilson, NYG
Glenn Earl, Hou
Idrees Bashir, Det
Jason Simmons, Hou
Jay Bellamy, NO
Keith Davis, Dal
Ken Hamlin, Dal
Madieu Williams, Cin
Marquand Manuel, Car
Matt Ware, Ari
Mel Mitchell, NE
Mike Doss, Min
Nick Ferguson, Den
Oliver Celestin, Ari
Omar Stoutmire, Was
Pierson Prioleau, Was
Sammy Knight, Jac
Steve Gleason, NO
Tank Williams, Min
Travares Tillman, Mia
Von Hutchins, Hou
Yeremiah Bell, Mia

Joemailman
01-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Rick DeMulling, Of FYI fame at JSO, is a freeagent!

superfan
01-21-2008, 10:06 PM
JoeMM, that sig is no good. The Presidency would put too much of a strain on his GM duties.

Vote NO for TT in 2008!

Lurker64
01-21-2008, 11:38 PM

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Thompson goes after Dallas Clark, assuming Indy lets him hit the market. We don't really have a great need for a pass catching TE, but he's a good player and I don't really understand Ted Thompson.\\\\

IMO Clark will get franchised

That would probably be the logical solution, but the Colts are awfully topheavy at a few positions. I'm not sure they can afford to keep paying some of their guys near the top payscale at their position.

twoseven
01-22-2008, 03:59 AM
Nice list Harv. I wonder if Terrel Suggs is capable of playing DE in a 4-3 anynmore at this point in his career, pretty sure he can still bring the noise from the edge.. as I continue my junior GM fantasies that will only end in disapointment..

I too am curious about Sean Rodgers. Our DTs might has well have been giving up on some snaps this year with their overall impact being slim to none in the pass rush. Terrel Owens is a lockerroom distraction, the rest are just waiting for the right team to gel with (I think :wink: ).

sign Faneca, then draft CB, RB, WLB, OL

Patler
01-22-2008, 08:04 AM
sign Faneca, then draft CB, RB, WLB, OL

Faneca likely will command a pretty high bonus/salary, but is 31 and has played 10 years. On the other hand, he has missed only a couple games in his career, so expecting 2-3 more good seasons is not unreasonable.

I expect someone will through a lot of money his way, but I doubt it will be the Packers.

Partial
01-22-2008, 08:09 AM
I thoroughly expect TT to continue to address the issue of depth through the draft. I suspect he'll add another 9 picks plus some unsigned free agents. He'll let the guys duke it out and hopefully come out with a better team this year than last. Hopefully that will result in a new LB to replace Popp in the starting lineup, someone at G stepping up, and improved special teams play.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Nnadmi Asomugha, Oak*. That's the guy I want. Would cost less than Samuel and is prefect for our system.

pbmax
01-22-2008, 09:08 AM
I'd fall over dead if we signed Faneca. Over 30. Plays guard. Has been making noises about one more big payday since training camp last year (wanted his deal redone). That is a nearly complete checklist of things Thompson avoids.

What was Ron Wolf's list of things you always look for? QB, Left Tackle, DE, DT and CB.

And are we sure Faneca isn't running on fumes? The Steelers O struggled running this year. Yes I know their yardage total was high, but they had a high number of attempts to get there and their pass game is what made the offense shine.

Run defense is not my greatest concern. We aren't great at it, but we're about average. We are close to having an offense that will force teams to pass.

I am far more concerned with our pass rush. And Rodgers is not as much help there.

HarveyWallbangers
01-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Nnadmi Asomugha, Oak*. That's the guy I want. Would cost less than Samuel and is prefect for our system.

I just don't see a big name FA wanting to sign here--with us having Chuck and Al already. We are going to have to draft a corner pretty high to throw into the mix with Will Blackmon, Tramon Williams, and Jarrett Bush. As much as people rip them, I think they all showed promise this year--more than Joey Thomas and Ahmad Carroll ever showed. They all are athletic. Williams looked the best. Bush had his moments, and he's also a good special teams player. Blackmon is the most talented, and looks like he could be special on the return teams--if he could stay healthy.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-22-2008, 09:16 AM

I just don't see a big name FA wanting to sign here--with us having Chuck and Al already. We are going to have to draft a corner pretty high to throw into the mix with Will Blackmon, Tramon Williams, and Jarrett Bush. As much as people rip them, I think they all showed promise this year--more than Joey Thomas and Ahmad Carroll ever showed. They all are athletic. Williams looked the best. Bush had his moments, and he's also a good special teams player. Blackmon is the most talented, and looks like he could be special on the return teams--if he could stay healthy.

I understand your reasoning, probably not going to happen, but would be awesome if it did. I would love to trade Al and sign Asomugha, but that would never happen either....

HarveyWallbangers
01-22-2008, 09:18 AM
I'd fall over dead if we signed Faneca. Over 30. Plays guard. Has been making noises about one more big payday since training camp last year (wanted his deal redone). That is a nearly complete checklist of things Thompson avoids.

What was Ron Wolf's list of things you always look for? QB, Left Tackle, DE, DT and CB.

And are we sure Faneca isn't running on fumes? The Steelers O struggled running this year. Yes I know their yardage total was high, but they had a high number of attempts to get there and their pass game is what made the offense shine.

Run defense is not my greatest concern. We aren't great at it, but we're about average. We are close to having an offense that will force teams to pass.

I am far more concerned with our pass rush. And Rodgers is not as much help there.

Good points. I'm not that concerned with our run defense. We were better than average this year (3.9 yards/rush). Losing Jolly hurt, but I expect he'll be back and he could be better. Harrell could improve and help. I wouldn't mind one more good run stuffer at DT though. There aren't too many spots that I'm concerned about. We just need these kids to continue to improve.

QB Favre, Rodgers, Nall/rookie
HB Grant, Jackson, rookie
FB Hall, Kuhn
WR Driver, Jennings, Jones, Robinson, Martin
TE Lee, free agent, rookie
OT Clifton, Tauscher, Colledge, Moll/Thompson
OG Spitz, free agent, Coston, Barbre
OC Wells, rookie
DE Kampman, Jenkins, KGB, Montgomery/free agent/rookie
DT Pickett, Jolly, Harrell, Williams/free agent, Muir
LB Barnett, Hawk, Poppinga, Bishop, White, rookie
CB Woodson, Harris, rookie, Blackmon, Williams, Bush
S Bigby, Collins, Rouse, Culver/rookie/free agent
PK Crosby
P Ryan
LS Davis
KR Blackmon/Williams
PR Blackmon/Woodson

I'd like to see a starting OG, backup TE, and a DL acquired in FA. I'd like to see backups at HB, TE, LB, and CB drafted.

pbmax
01-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Harv, I think you need Tony Moll in the mix at Tackle.

HarveyWallbangers
01-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Harv, I think you need Tony Moll in the mix at Tackle.

Yep, forgot about him.

The Leaper
01-22-2008, 10:04 AM
I expect someone will through a lot of money his way, but I doubt it will be the Packers.

If Thompson didn't want to pay Wahle...who was younger and arguably better than Faneca is at this point...why would he pay Faneca?

Of course, it is possible Thompson might have changed his mind somewhat after seeing what happened in the NFCC game. We need a major upgrade to our interior if we want to contend for the Super Bowl...and you aren't going to get that from a draft pick or third tier FA.

Do we move Tausch inside to RG? That is a real possibility IMO.

Patler
01-22-2008, 10:05 AM
I think Tory Humphrey might be in the mix at TE, too. He is the one guy that both MM and TT seemed to regret having lost to IR when he broke his ankle. They both mentioned him several times earlier in the season as being a loss.

I wonder about Tony Palmer. I assumed his career was done when he injured his neck, but articles keep bringing him up. It has been mentioned many times that he was without a doubt there best pure run blocker, and that he is extremely powerful. I'm not sure he projects as a starter, but might be kept as a backup and for short yardage situations.

What does everyone think about DeShawn Wynn's chances next season?

HarveyWallbangers
01-22-2008, 10:07 AM
If Thompson didn't want to pay Wahle...who was younger and arguably better than Faneca is at this point...why would he pay Faneca?

I wouldn't necessarily say he didn't want to. Remember the Packers cap situation in 2005, and the fact Wahle was due a huge bonus. Like you said, he might have changed his mind after watching the run blocking vs. the Giants. I think, given a cap situation the way it is now, Thompson might have found a way to keep Wahle.

Patler
01-22-2008, 10:12 AM

The biggest difference is that at the time Wahle became a free agent, the Packers had very little room in their salary cap. Even after releasing Wahle, they had to also cut Ruegamer just to get under the cap. Ruegamer was then re-signed later. They had very little flexibility in their negotiations, especially since Sharper would not give them any help by renegotiating. They were still trying to work something out with Sharper when Wahle signed.

The Leaper
01-22-2008, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say he didn't want to. Remember the Packers cap situation in 2005, and the fact Wahle was due a huge bonus.

Yeah, but we could've resigned him once we cut him. However, by all accounts Thompson made no real outreach to Wahle to try to keep him. He practically RAN to Carolina...because he wanted out of Green Bay so fast.

Patler
01-22-2008, 10:26 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say he didn't want to. Remember the Packers cap situation in 2005, and the fact Wahle was due a huge bonus.

Yeah, but we could've resigned him once we cut him. However, by all accounts Thompson made no real outreach to Wahle to try to keep him. He practically RAN to Carolina...because he wanted out of Green Bay so fast.

At the time Wahle signed with Carolina, which was very soon after he was released by GB, the Packers had less than $1 million in cap space as I recall. They had few options available to them at the time.

BallHawk
01-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Rick DeMulling, Of FYI fame at JSO, is a freeagent!

Somebody call TT and explain FYI to him.

After knowing the story he will have no choice but to sign him. :lol:

BallHawk
01-22-2008, 11:20 AM
BTW, this is bugging me now.

What was the name of the guy that started FYI? He had an American flag as his avatar, but that's all I can remember.

twoseven
01-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Tauscher is 30 and his contract expires after next season. Clifton is 31 and his deal expires after two seasons. Putting the personals about Faneca and his negotiations aside for a second, will Tausch at 31 and Clifton at 33 be too old to keep around when their contracts expire? I understand you need to stay young, but are we placing a little too much emphasis on calendar age and not on physical age? Just a thought.

Partial
01-22-2008, 11:59 AM
They will both likely get small contracts and stay with the Pack if they still are effective.

twoseven
01-22-2008, 12:33 PM
They will both likely get small contracts and stay with the Pack if they still are effective.
If they are still effective? We're talking about next year is Tauscher's contract year (expires after 08') and year after next is Clifton's. Anything can happen in 1-2 years, but realistically how much do you see them slipping? Clifton made over $6 mil this year and Tausch close to $5 mil. Tausch might be one of the best RT in the game, just got done making Kerney and Strahan look silly in front of a national audience, guy almost never gets caught holding. Clifton has performed well also, how often does he give up a sack? How small do you think their deals will be? I know you don't want to break the bank on a 31 and 32 year old Tackle, but I have a feeling neither one of them will be settling for peanuts in the next two years. I would love to think they'll not expect more, but who knows..

Travbrew
01-22-2008, 12:42 PM

What was the name of the guy that started FYI? He had an American flag as his avatar, but that's all I can remember.

Was it "the Truth"?

Partial
01-22-2008, 12:52 PM
If they are still effective? We're talking about next year is Tauscher's contract year (expires after 08') and year after next is Clifton's. Anything can happen in 1-2 years, but realistically how much do you see them slipping? Clifton made over $6 mil this year and Tausch close to $5 mil. Tausch might be one of the best RT in the game, just got done making Kerney and Strahan look silly in front of a national audience, guy almost never gets caught holding. Clifton has performed well also, how often does he give up a sack? How small do you think their deals will be? I know you don't want to break the bank on a 31 and 32 year old Tackle, but I have a feeling neither one of them will be settling for peanuts in the next two years. I would love to think they'll not expect more, but who knows..

It's very possible, but I don't think they'll break the bank. If they're still playing well they'll get paid about what they are now. If they start to slip or get hurt they'll be about 2-3 mil.

Travbrew
01-22-2008, 12:59 PM

Was it "the Truth"?

Nope I think I remember. Was it TPB?

BallHawk
01-22-2008, 02:05 PM

Was it "the Truth"?

Nope I think I remember. Was it TPB?

Wasn't him. It was a guy that had 3 something posts and was definitely not a regular.

CaliforniaCheez
01-22-2008, 06:59 PM

It's very possible, but I don't think they'll break the bank. If they're still playing well they'll get paid about what they are now. If they start to slip or get hurt they'll be about 2-3 mil.

Taucher is in the last year of his contract 2008. He is a perfect guy to give an up front contract. It will burn up cap room and make him easily cutable in the future. He seems healthier than Clifton.

Between Barbre, Colledge, and those signed between now and the begining of 2010 a replacement for Clifton will be found.

It is too early to panic.

Deputy Nutz
01-22-2008, 07:19 PM
I thought it was like Rudeguy or something.

motife
01-22-2008, 07:48 PM
The Patriots have an interesting choice :

Randy Moss or Asante Samuel? The guessing is Samuel walks and gets a HUGE contract.

Deputy Nutz
01-22-2008, 08:00 PM
The Patriots have an interesting choice :

Randy Moss or Asante Samuel? The guessing is Samuel walks and gets a HUGE contract.

Think Nate Clements and his 80 million dollar deal.

BallHawk
01-22-2008, 08:04 PM
I thought it was like Rudeguy or something.

That was it.

Thanks Nutz.