PDA

View Full Version : Post-Season Analysis of Bob Sanders

BallHawk
01-21-2008, 09:27 AM
We are, of course, talking about our Defensive Coordinator, not the Safety for the Colts.

Brohm
01-21-2008, 09:29 AM
I would say average, but with the talent on the defensive side, it should have been much better. Piss poor at recognizing a flawed game plan and making adjustments.

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2008, 09:30 AM
He just doesn't flatter me with an ability to game plan for specific teams, it is like he has one scheme that he plays regardless of match ups.

BallHawk
01-21-2008, 09:34 AM
It's hard to judge a DC because you can't pinpoint what was done on talent and what was done on coaching.

I will say this, however.

We have the talent to be a dominant defense. We were a pretty good defense, but we were not great.

We need to cut down on penalties. I believe the coaches need to play a bigger role in that. I do not like that we are not aggressive. It seems that we play a "Let's hope that they don't score" type of defense rather than a "We're going to make it so that they don't score" type of defense.

Ya know, Jim Bates is available.....

Joemailman
01-21-2008, 09:44 AM
I think one reason Bates didn't get the HC job is that TT doesn't really like the Bates defense. Too passive, and not tough enough against the run. A lot of people think Sanders runs the Bates defense, but there are differences. If Bates were running the defense, guys like Jenkins and Bigby would not be starters.

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2008, 09:47 AM
I think one reason Bates didn't get the HC job is that TT doesn't really like the Bates defense. Too passive, and not tough enough against the run. A lot of people think Sanders runs the Bates defense, but there are differences. If Bates were running the defense, guys like Jenkins and Bigby would not be starters.

Well Bob Sanders is a clone of Jim Bates, it is the same defense. Although Bates' personality and his toughness spread to his players the one year he was the defensive coordinator in Green Bay.

The Leaper
01-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Average.

He's certainly not an elite DC. His defense is fairly vanilla...and probably not capable of being championship caliber IMO, unless you have an extremely talented cast.

Bottom line: Our defense right now is a rather talented group overall...and we were only slightly better than average overall in 2007. We would need at least 2 more playmakers IMO to become an elite defense.

Partial
01-21-2008, 09:58 AM
It's hard to judge a DC because you can't pinpoint what was done on talent and what was done on coaching.

I will say this, however.

We have the talent to be a dominant defense. We were a pretty good defense, but we were not great.

We need to cut down on penalties. I believe the coaches need to play a bigger role in that. I do not like that we are not aggressive. It seems that we play a "Let's hope that they don't score" type of defense rather than a "We're going to make it so that they don't score" type of defense.

Ya know, Jim Bates is available.....

I disagree. I don't think we have the talent to be a dominant defense. I think we have the talent to be a solid defense you can win with and potentially better IF we rotate our players far more liberally. The drop-off from weeks 1-8 to now is staggering in the dominance of our front four.

I am really beginning to come around to the idea of resigning Corey Williams and using him early on in the game at DE and moving him to third down tackle half way through the third quarter. That was Kampman only has to rush the passer early and will be fresh for the end of the game. Same with KGB and Jenkins.

IF they intend to take the defense to the next level, they need to take advantage of some of their players versatility and continue to carry 12 DL or so. They really need to get three big tackles that can hold up against the run consistently and then either keep Corey Williams or find someone else who can play exclusively third down to rush inside with Jenks and relief pitch at DE.

Maxie the Taxi
01-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Average.

What saved him early in the season was the d-line. They were fresh and healthy and getting at the QB.

What saved him later in the season when d-line injuries and fatique were taking their toll was the offense scoring big.

Sunday night the offense couldn't score and we lost.

Look at it this way...If someone told me before the game the Giants would score 23 points, I'd say I'll take it figuring our offense would score 30.

Bretsky
01-21-2008, 05:05 PM
I was not a fan last year as most of you know

He gets a C for the Season

He gets a F for yesterday

Freak Out
01-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Sanders gets a C+ for the year and the entire coaching staff gets a failing grade for last nights game.

gbgary
01-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Sanders gets a C+ for the year and the entire coaching staff gets a failing grade for last nights game.

i thought the D was pretty damn good this year. they only broke when badly over worked (2nd half of 1st chicago game, and last night) and when weakened by injury (dallas). you could argue that those three games were winable if the offense hadn't been derailed by MM. the last chicago game doesn't count. nobody wanted to play that game. so i'll give him a B+. i wish they were a little more aggressive but heck i can't really complain.