PDA

View Full Version : Driver's TD.

Patler
01-21-2008, 09:39 AM
I watched it numerous times.
I still don't understand how he managed to avoid being tackled.

It looked like he was being caught from behind rather easily after about 30 or 40 yards, but found another gear and pulled away from one guy. Then, it was almost as if he ran for several steps without extending his legs behind him to avoid the diving tackle. Sort of like a marching high-step in quick time. The last defender never made even a diving attempt.

MJZiggy
01-21-2008, 09:43 AM
I still don't know how he didn't get shoved out of bounds. He was dancing along the line and all one of them would have had to do was give him a good shove.

Carolina_Packer
01-21-2008, 09:46 AM
That was a great play. One thing that stuck out to me was that Greg Jennings didn't really factor into the game at all, and I don't recall seeing James Jones in the game at all. Did he even have a catch? With the lack of commitment to the run game, you would have thought that Favre, being given a decent pocket to throw would have been able to get more receivers involved.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-21-2008, 09:47 AM
He's a champ, and am proud of how he played.

As for the TD, I think it looked like he was going to be caught from behind because I think he was trying to see if the guy taking the angle on him was going over pursue and if he should cut it inside. Once he saw that the guy taking a bad angle he just turned it on and scored.

The Leaper
01-21-2008, 09:47 AM
It looked like he was being caught from behind rather easily after about 30 or 40 yards, but found another gear and pulled away from one guy. Then, it was almost as if he ran for several steps without extending his legs behind him to avoid the diving tackle. Sort of like a marching high-step in quick time. The last defender never made even a diving attempt.

The CB covering him got beat early at the LOS. He was running top speed when Driver caught the ball, trying to catch up...and Driver had to slow slightly to make the catch. Driver had barely enough to stay ahead of him, and I think that CB was getting winded after about 50 yards.

The safety took a poor angle...came in too steep and took himself out of the play really. Perhaps he also slowed a little because he thought the CB was going to be able to get Driver. I think that is what prevented him from making a dive at Driver.

Patler
01-21-2008, 09:48 AM
I still don't know how he didn't get shoved out of bounds. He was dancing along the line and all one of them would have had to do was give him a good shove.

Yup, that too. It looked like several were ready to stop him some how, but no one did. It was just an unusual run after the catch, in many ways.

Patler
01-21-2008, 09:55 AM

The CB covering him got beat early at the LOS. He was running top speed when Driver caught the ball, trying to catch up...and Driver had to slow slightly to make the catch. Driver had barely enough to stay ahead of him, and I think that CB was getting winded after about 50 yards.

The safety took a poor angle...came in too steep and took himself out of the play really. Perhaps he also slowed a little because he thought the CB was going to be able to get Driver. I think that is what prevented him from making a dive at Driver.

I agree with the comment by someone that Driver caused the bad angle by the safety. He did several things on that run to make it go. He varied his speed, his stride, and even gave little adjustments in direction to keep the pursuit off balance. He was never where they expected him to be as they tried to catch him. But the high step to avoid the one dive was pretty good, to not lose his balance nor step out of bounds while doing it at top speed, and even accelerating coming out of it.

Very subtle things by Driver, but just one heck of a run.

packinpatland
01-21-2008, 01:14 PM
And how many times did the dipsh*t announcers remind us of that 90yard play when calculating the Packers total yardage?