PDA

View Full Version : Nick Collins

packers11
01-21-2008, 03:09 PM
(3rd year)2007 - 46 total tackles - 5 pass deflections - 0 sacks - 0 ints - 0 ff

(2nd year) 2006 - 82 total tackles - 14 pass deflections - 0 sacks - 3 ints - 2 ff

I know he missed 3 games... But come on... I usually don't go by the stats a lot of the times because it doesn't tell the whole story but this guy has shown that he is a huge liability... I hope he doesn't start next year at FS because he has shown to me that he is not a play maker...

Back in his rookie year I thought T.T. found a gem, he showed show much potential and athletic ability... His sophomore year was improvement but his 3rd year (this year) was abysmal...

Rouse/ a free agent/ or a draft pick needs to be addressed at the FS position... There needs to be a play maker there, not a below average special teams player...

BallHawk
01-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Rouse/Bigby '08.

That's the winning ticket.

Patler
01-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Yet I saw an end of the season rating, about the time the Pro Bowl was announced, that had him as something like #8 among all safeties in the NFC. I don't get it myself.

packers11
01-21-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't get how he regressed so much from year 2 to year 3...

What the hell went wrong???

Partial
01-21-2008, 03:37 PM
I don't think its so much he regressed, but our run defense has improved w/ Bigby and a shored up front 7.

Joemailman
01-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Collins/Rouse will probably be the #1 battle in training camp. Collins and Colledge have to be the biggest disappointments this year.

BallHawk
01-21-2008, 03:39 PM

Nick relies heavily on coaching. Bad coaching=bad play.

Joemailman
01-21-2008, 03:42 PM
I don't know if coaches can teach instinct, and I think that is Collins' biggest weakness.

BallHawk
01-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't know if coaches can teach instinct, and I think that is Collins' biggest weakness.

They can't. And that's why Collins is doomed to fail.

You can get by not having speed, strength, smarts, height, etc.

You can not get by not having instincts.

Joemailman
01-21-2008, 04:01 PM
I've been thinking all year that he may be better suited to play cornerback. Although he played linebacker and safety in college, prior to the draft he was being projected as a cornerback. I'd take him at nickel over the guys we have their now.

Partial
01-21-2008, 04:03 PM
I thought Collins played corner in college?

Joemailman
01-21-2008, 04:16 PM
http://www.packers.com/team/players/collins_nick/

RashanGary
01-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Rouse/Bigby '08.

This is what I'm hoping too. If Rouse doesn't pan out, I hope it's someone else. Either way, I hope it's NOT Nick Collins. He's been a major disappointment.

BooHoo
01-21-2008, 08:36 PM
I thought Nick has been pretty much none existent this year. He'll have to compete for a job next year and may end up not starting. I wouldn't mind if we addressed the safety position again this draft.

b bulldog
01-21-2008, 08:38 PM
He should be nothing more than a ST's player and a backup.

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Rouse/Bigby '08.

This is what I'm hoping too. If Rouse doesn't pan out, I hope it's someone else. Either way, I hope it's NOT Nick Collins. He's been a major disappointment.

I wouldn't call him a major disappointment, I would just call him a nonfactor at safety, which actually might be worse. How the hell can you play safety and not have one interception on the year? Rouse played two games and had two picks.

b bulldog
01-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Agree,I don't think a second round pick out of a small school can be labeled a major disappointment.

Bretsky
01-21-2008, 09:29 PM
The sickening part about Collins is he seems to have the talent. Good speed and break on the ball.

Is he TT's version of Da Fraud ?

Time will tell; I have not given up on him yet.

Harlan Huckleby
01-21-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm real happy with the situation at safety. Young players, strong competition. Next year Collins will have to fight to keep his spot. Almost guaranteed upgrade next year, regardless of who win the starting spots.

StPaulPackFan
01-22-2008, 06:55 AM
Collins/Rouse will probably be the #1 battle in training camp. Collins and Colledge have to be the biggest disappointments this year.

Along with these two, I feel Jenkins was also a huge disappointment. At the end of last season he really came on and showed great potential. In his limited time in the Preseason he looked almost unstoppable, especially in the Pittsburgh game. Then the regular season starts and he more or less disappears.

Going into this year I thought Jenkins would be a difference-maker. I guess I was wrong. On the flip side, Jolly really improved before going on IR.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-22-2008, 08:05 AM
My biggest problem with Collins is he doesn't make plays. He dropped at least four INT's this year and doesn't do anything special when it counts. For example in Sunday's game, instead of making a play, he gets called for a big penalty that costs us seven points. I hope Rouse beats him and plays good or we have problems at safety.

run pMc
01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Wouldn't say Collins is a disappointment. Most people agree he was a reach for where he was drafted. He's obviously a very gifted athlete, but I'm not sure about instincts. I heard the coaches and players say that he was good at getting people lined up and making the calls this year, so maybe he' figured out the game. If so, that's great. One thing we know is that he is not a ballhawk.

I'll be very interested to see the competition at S and CB next year. Rouse will push Bigby and Collins, Culver comes off IR, Peprah could emerge, and who knows who else TT will bring in (Underwood?) At CB, we have Tramon, Blackmon, Bush and Walker...none of those guys have shown they can do it consistently. I'd like to see somebody step up and push Hrris and Woodson...those guys aren't young spry speedsters, and I don't feel good about having to start one of the backups if Woodson's knee needs surgery.

Back to Collins. I think S is his best position, but I wonder if he needs to be paired with a more of a ballhawk who can cover. It seems like he's a more athletic version of Bigby. He's fast and a willing hitter, but I don't know about his ability to cover a TE or RB. That was a big weakness last year and at times this year.

The Leaper
01-22-2008, 09:55 AM

Two words.

Kurt Schottenheimer.

The Leaper
01-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Back to Collins. I think S is his best position, but I wonder if he needs to be paired with a more of a ballhawk who can cover. It seems like he's a more athletic version of Bigby. He's fast and a willing hitter, but I don't know about his ability to cover a TE or RB. That was a big weakness last year and at times this year.

I've been saying this for 2 years now.

You can't have two run-supporting safeties on a team where you play press coverage outside with your CBs.

We need a damn COVERAGE safety...someone who can make plays on the ball in the air downfield.

I think Bigby has more upside as an in-the-box guy than Collins has. Can Rouse be a coverage safety? I don't know.

BallHawk
01-22-2008, 11:23 AM
The sickening part about Collins is he seems to have the talent. Good speed and break on the ball.

Time will tell; I have not given up on him yet.

Not if we're talking about who else was available and what happened to them, but if we're talking playing ability, he's pretty damn close.

Patler
01-22-2008, 02:05 PM

Na, not even close. You can line up and play with Collins as one of your safeties. You WANT more than what he has been, but you can accept Collins as he is. In other words, he doesn't hurt you being there, even if he doesn't do things to change a game.

Ferguson simply can't be your starter. If he is, you are in big trouble at WR.

woodbuck27
01-22-2008, 02:30 PM
He should be nothing more than a ST's player and a backup.

He has to get it. Get into the game. Does he have ability? YES he's proven that but now we need to see consistency and effort.

Otherwise cut him and reserve ST spots for players with real upside. Collins has been 'a nowhere man' this season. Too bad he got short whistled on that QB blitz on Sunday (and subsequent roughing the QB penalty) as that could have been by far his biggest play all season.

The whole outcome may well have changed based on that almost huge play. Is he just unlucky or have bad timing? He needs to feel Irish. :)

The Leaper
01-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Na, not even close. You can line up and play with Collins as one of your safeties. You WANT more than what he has been, but you can accept Collins as he is. In other words, he doesn't hurt you being there, even if he doesn't do things to change a game.

I completely agree. Collins was invisible...which isn't good, but it isn't horrible either. He didn't give up a bunch of big pass plays. He didn't make a bunch of critical errors where we are sitting here cussing him out after the game.

We would all love for him to make big time INTs and ruffle more feathers in the secondary with his hitting ability. However, he's adequate and won't kill you back there.

Ferguson never really contributed whatsoever on the field for Green Bay...despite having Favre tossing him the ball, who is one of the best QBs a receiver could have in terms of opportunity.