PDA

View Full Version : Assuming You Still Believe...

Carolina_Packer
01-21-2008, 04:03 PM
that the Packers had a chance to win before yesterday's game, and if a re-match was allowed could come up with a way to win, what would you have done differently against the Giants?

I do believe that they have the talent right now to beat the Giants, but played a bad game. What could have been the difference between winning and losing that game?

Make more of a commitment to the run.

Get more receivers involved (Jennings was mostly invisible, Jones was completely invisible)

Work the middle of the field more on short to intermediate routes and don't try and force the ball deep.

Adjust gameplan on defense to provide more pressure on Manning, who seemed to have all day to go through his progressions.

Get Al Harris some help (see point above)

Keep out of bad down and distances on offense.

Get them off the field on defense instead of letting them convert so many third downs and keep the chains moving.

Anything else?

Partial
01-21-2008, 04:05 PM
I would have used the double fullback set with a tight end next to Clifton and Greg Jennings on the outside.

I would have ran at Osi and hoped to get a cutback lane.

MJZiggy
01-21-2008, 04:11 PM
I'd have started with heated warm-up pants...

Joemailman
01-21-2008, 04:11 PM
The Packers seemed to surrender the middle of the field in their passing game. I would not have done that. They also seemed to abandon the running game after Grant had his best run of the night in the 3rd quarter.

Maxie the Taxi
01-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Monday morning QBing is foolproof. In retrospect the Giants were a better team than I thought they were. Defensively, they're as good as us, better on the line, weaker in the secondary. Offensively, they run better than us, but we pass better than them. Add it all up and the weather was the real equalizer. It neutralized our deep passing game and equalized their secondary. It gave them a huge advantage in rushing, both on offensive and on the d-line.

On that field in those conditions it's a coin toss who wins.

Now, playing the Giants on a fast field in good weather, I think we beat them like we did in New York, simply because we score lots of points per game and they don't.

What could we have done different? Now it's easy to say. But prior to kickoff? I guess I wouldn't have thought to run so many flanker screens? Where did that come from? And I was disappointed we relied on only our front four to apply pressure on Manning. I would have blitzed him early and often from many different angles, gambling that Manning would panic. He did a few times when he was hurried. He's still their weak link in my opinion.

Freak Out
01-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Monday morning QBing is foolproof. In retrospect the Giants were a better team than I thought they were. Defensively, they're as good as us, better on the line, weaker in the secondary. Offensively, they run better than us, but we pass better than them. Add it all up and the weather was the real equalizer. It neutralized our deep passing game and equalized their secondary. It gave them a huge advantage in rushing, both on offensive and on the d-line.

On that field in those conditions it's a coin toss who wins.

Now, playing the Giants on a fast field in good weather, I think we beat them like we did in New York, simply because we score lots of points per game and they don't.

What could we have done different? Now it's easy to say. But prior to kickoff? I guess I wouldn't have thought to run so many flanker screens? Where did that come from? And I was disappointed we relied on only our front four to apply pressure on Manning. I would have blitzed him early and often from many different angles, gambling that Manning would panic. He did a few times when he was hurried. He's still their weak link in my opinion.

WTF was with the X screen anyway? All those crazy wide throws are dangerous to start with but combine it with the weather and it could have been turnover central...We have talent but we were OUTPLAYED by the Jints...we just got lucky a few times and the game was kept close. We had some chances on screens but we always seemed to run into each other and slow it up enough to kill it....and just to give up on the run was crazy IMO...the line did a great job keeping Favre upright when they brought the heat but he was making crazy reads all night and if I was M3 I think I would have tried to run it a bit more. We blitzed Eli more than what I thought we would but he still killed us throwing it to Plastico...I wanted Atari to take him out so bad. :evil:

b bulldog
01-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Hope for warmer weather

Harlan Huckleby
01-21-2008, 07:04 PM
If I was the coach, I would have DEMANDED that the players wear long-sleeve shirts. No time for macho posturing that puts extra strain on your body.

Scott Campbell
01-21-2008, 07:25 PM
If I was the coach, I would have DEMANDED that the players wear long-sleeve shirts. No time for macho posturing that puts extra strain on your body.

I completely agree with this. You don't see macho skiers going sleeveless when its really cold outside. For cripes sake, dress for the conditions so that you can concentrate on what you're doing instead of the cold.

The Shadow
01-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Warmed Aaron Rodgers up.

oregonpackfan
01-21-2008, 09:29 PM

Like Scott, I completely agree with this as well. The bodies on those bare-armed players burned a lot of energy just warming those arms.

As a life long long distance runner/jogger, I would not think of running without adequate clothing. The body just would not perform as well because it is trying to warm up the exposed parts.

Charles Woodson
01-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Bulldog, you said you would hope for warmer weather, but how does that have anything to do with the fact that we owned the sehawks last week in just as cold weather?

Bretsky
01-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Bulldog, you said you would hope for warmer weather, but how does that have anything to do with the fact that we owned the sehawks last week in just as cold weather?

We were able to overpower the Seahawks small DL and run and throw on them

We could not overpower the Giants DL and run so it was all left up to the pass. Easier to be consistently effective throwing in good weather

MJZiggy
01-21-2008, 09:56 PM
It was at least 20 degrees warmer last week...

cpk1994
01-22-2008, 08:12 AM
If I was the coach, I would have DEMANDED that the players wear long-sleeve shirts. No time for macho posturing that puts extra strain on your body.This is a completely asinine statement. Wearing loing sleve shirts would not have changed their performance in any way. Secondly, IT WAS THE GIANTS MAKING THE BIG DEAL ABOUT GOING SLEEVELESS NOT THE PACKERS!

Deputy Nutz
01-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Simply put, we burned out our fuse. The ride was over before the game started. Too much bullshit during the week, not enough focus on football. I know these guys are professionals, but the last two weeks they were in an unfimilar situation with not being the underdog like they were so many times this season. People did not expect the Packers to win and they thrived on that, no pressure, they played loose, no expectations to win. Now the whole country expected a win, and the pressure got to some of the players.

pbmax
01-22-2008, 08:35 AM
I second the nomination of Joemailman to be our next Assistant Offensive Coordinator.

The Packers seemed to surrender the middle of the field in their passing game. I would not have done that. They also seemed to abandon the running game after Grant had his best run of the night in the 3rd quarter.

pbmax
01-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Skiers are macho? When did this decision get handed down?

:lol:

I completely agree with this. You don't see macho skiers going sleeveless when its really cold outside. For cripes sake, dress for the conditions so that you can concentrate on what you're doing instead of the cold.

pbmax
01-22-2008, 08:42 AM
OK, three in a row is too much. I will stop now.

The Leaper
01-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Green Bay played an poor game in almost every category. Special teams were mediocre outside of Crosby. The defense gave up way too many easy catches. The offense did nothing outside of one 90 yard TD catch and run.

And they still almost won.

That will sink in eventually to this team...and make them hungry next year.

There simply needs to be more creativity from both sides of the ball. We come out and show great creativity on the first two plays of the game...then never see it again.

McCarthy needs to do a much better job expanding the playbook and creating more opportunities for the WRs in space. Honestly, I'm not sure Green Bay really worked much with 4 and 5 WR sets in camp. The team probably had to write up plays on the fly this year. This offseason, McCarthy will know who the integral parts of his offense will be...and can design a playbook around them. That will be a big advantage.

Badgerinmaine
01-22-2008, 02:59 PM
I'd have started with heated warm-up pants...

Well, that's fine for you, but what should the Packers have done?
:P

MJZiggy
01-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Considering how the cold affected them mentally, how 'bout heated hats?

Jerry Tagge
01-22-2008, 03:31 PM
I would have worn the white jerseys and paint "GIANTS" in the end zone. Then they would think they were at the Meadowlands and the Packers would have won 35-13 again.