PDA

View Full Version : Compensatory Pick question

twoseven
01-21-2008, 05:03 PM
If Corey Williams leaves for a nice FA deal elsewhere, do we receive a compensatory pick based upon his new contract, his production or playing time with new team, or a combination of factors? Any guesses to how well we might be compensated, or too early to tell?

HarveyWallbangers
01-21-2008, 05:11 PM
It's not really a set thing, but it combines all of those factors. However, who we sign, for how much, and how they do also affects any picks. So, if we sign a FA similar to Williams, we likely won't get a compensatory pick.

CaliforniaCheez
01-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Anyone who tells you, they are lying. It is not public.

However, I did find a website where a guy was close on predicting and he guesses that the largest factors in the formula are:

1. The size of the contract

2. Playing time.

For example for last year's draft those that left the previous year were very close in contracts to others(Pickett's contract similar to Flanagan's in Houston etc.). The exceptions were Craig Nall and Grady Jackson did not equal Charles Woodson. I expected no compensatory pick prior to the season. So what made up the big difference and gave the Packers a 7th round compensatory? I think it was the playing time of a starter, Roy Manning in Detroit.

For this draft we have Ahman Green and that TE Martin that left and Frank Walker who came in. Cut players do not count.

No one knows how injuries affect the formula. Ahman Green's injury kept him from playing. Walker being a lower paid guy was on the Game Day active roster a lot. Martin was his usual nicked up self.

All this is a long winded way of saying I don't know. Nobody else does.