PDA

View Full Version : Black Monday, Packers depression

b bulldog
01-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Well I took my 8 year old to the game on Sunday and he was blown away by the entire day. We got up there at 12pm and met up with some friends and started tailgating. We both threw the football around for about an hour or so and than we went inside the atrium to eat lunch. We ate at the restruant below Curley's,,. We were able to be seated in front of the window that looks out at the players parking lot. While we were eating, we saw James Jones, Mark Tauscher and Tramon Williams enter the Packers facilities. We than noticed a Ford F150 pull up with big tires on it, we looked and noticed that a few reporters seemed very interested in the driver. It turns out, it was Brett's truck. I guess this was on Fox and if you seen this, you'll notice Brett waiving up at the window just before he went inside, Reagan and a few other kids, were waiving at Brett franticly as he walked below them and it made their day when he waived back. After lunch, we went to the Pro Shop and up to the arcade. We wasted a few minutes up there and than went back to the truck to get dressed for the game. We both put our layers on and put our handwarmers and footwarmers in and made the journey to the stadium. He thought the parking lot was real cool and he loved all the Packers garb. We went to our seats about 90 minutes before kick-off and we watched the teams warming up. Reagan also got to see Jimmy, Howie and Terry as they walked in front of us along with Carl Banks and Harry Carson. Once the game started, he yelled and screamed as much as anyone who was around us. He said he felt sorry for the Giants cause everyone was booing them :lol: . During the entire game, we both were plenty warm and he never said he was cold at all. I've had him icefishing in weather colder than this so this wasn't that big of a deal. When the game was over, I asked him if he had fun and he told me this was something he will never forget and that he was sad because they lost and he wondered if he'd ever get the chance to see them at home again, in a NFC Championship game. The entire way up I told him how lucky he is to be going to this game at such a young age and I wondered if it ever truely sunk in but he was approached numerous times by Packers fans in the parking lot and was told how lucky he is to be here and that he'll never forget this day. After the long walk back to the truck, we got undressed and waited to get out of the north section of the stadium. We were both looking forward to getting on 41 but just before we got outside of the lambeau area, we saw a fORD f150, with big tires on it, so we let him pass and as he passed, we noticed it was Brett and Brett politely waived to my son. He fell asleep about 15 minutes later!

b bulldog
01-21-2008, 05:27 PM
My takes on the game, our field position was bad pretty much all day long. The Giants owned the time of possession and I don't recall them having a three and out during the entire game. MM imo, had a terrible game plan. He had a RB that rushed for 200 yards the week before and he basicly ignored him the entire day. I also didn't like the lack of the dinks and dunks in our passing game and that is between MM and #4. Brett looked unsettled all day long, the Oline was decent in pass protection and Brett was rushing his passes the entire day. My two favorite QB's both played terribly yesterday :cry: . It seemed when Brett was on, the Wr's dropped the ball. That weather totally neutralized our skilled players and totally favored the Giants style of football. My number one fault in this game was the lack of any rythym by the offense. We had way too many 3 and outs which really gassed our D. With that being said, our passrush was awful. Any NFL QB who is given all day to throw will pick any secondary apart. Kampman has been a disappointment in the past weeks and Williams and jenkins were stuffed on passing downs. The G's Oline totally dominated our D. They simply kicked their ass! Our Lb's were bad in tackling(way too high) and usually never made any tackles without help. the secondary was all Harris. He was owned by Plax and should have stopped running his mouth because he was just plain awful out there. Collins needs to be replaced next year, he'll never get it. IMO, our Dline is overrated, the G's Dline was head and shoulders better than ours. The G's were easily the better team yesterday and should have beaten us by much more without their mistakes. We had to struggle to do anything, they could pretty much always do enough to pin our O back. very disappointing loss!

Jerry Tagge
01-21-2008, 05:45 PM
You took an 8 year old to a game with -24 wind chill?

Was he wearing a Tom Brady or Todd Collins jersey?

Packers4Ever
01-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Well I took my 8 year old to the game on Sunday and he was blown away by the entire day. We got up there at 12am and met up with some friends and started tailgating. We both threw the football around for about an hour or so and than we went inside the atrium to eat lunch. We ate at the restruant below Curley's,,. We were able to be seated in front of the window that looks out at the players parking lot. While we wetre eating, we saw James Jones, Mark Tauscher and Tramon Williams enter the Packers facilities. We than noticed a Ford F150 pull up with big tires on it, we looked and noticed that a few reporters seemed very interested in the driver. It turns out, it was Brett's truck. I guess this was on Fox and if you seen this, you'll notice Brett waiving up at the window just before he went inside, Reagan, and a few other kids, were waiving at Brett franticly as he walked below them and it made their day when he waived back.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Well Bulldog, I hope you're happy, :( I have a large lump in my throat right now from reading about taking Reagan to the game and all that transpired. I read your post last week when you were deliberatiing whether or not to take your son up to the game. You made the right choice! Even at 8 years, he won't ever forget the day he spent with Dad going up to Green Bay to watch the Pack! You managed to see and do a lot while there - and imagine seeing Brett not once but twice!
It's unfortunate that the Packers couldn't put on a better show than they did for the (sellout?) crowd but for you and Reagan it was a great day. :wink:

MadtownPacker
01-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Thats a great story Bulldog.

packinpatland
01-21-2008, 06:27 PM
I've got goosebumps..............but then it's 14 degrees.
Seriously............nice story.

MJZiggy
01-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Great story. Right choice. Wrong outcome. But I'm glad he got an experience he'll never forget. He'll tell his grandkids about it.

Scott Campbell
01-21-2008, 07:31 PM
The thing about a loss like this is that you both may appreciate it more when we get the next one. Great story.

BooHoo
01-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Yes, this is a sad day. Monday's are always bad following a packer loss.

GrnBay007
01-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Bulldog,
really glad you got to take your son to the game...that will be a very special memory for him. Sure, a win would have been nicer, but I'm sure he was/is still very excited about the trip anyway. I think you said it was his first time at Lambeau? I remember the first time I took my son there, (btw Packers lost that game too...lol) I don't know if he was more excited with being there for the first time or I was, just watching his expression when he walked in the stadium and how excited he was. That's the thing about Lambeau for Packer fans....I don't think you ever lose that excitement/rush when you walk into the stadium.

oregonpackfan
01-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Bulldog,

Let my assure you your son will never forget that experience with his Dad!

As a former child care worker and retired elementary school teacher, I have worked with hundreds of kids who had no father in their lives. Conversely, I have worked with thousands of kids who did have a father in their lives.

Trust me, the kids who had a father actively involved in their lives generally(yes, there are always exceptions) were more emotionally stable, got along better with their peers and adults, and achieved at a higher academic rate than the non-fatherless children.

Thanks for being an important guide in your son's life.

Badgerinmaine
01-22-2008, 02:52 PM
What OPF said...amen to that. Your son had a great experience with his dad and got to share something really special neither of you will ever forget. I can remember so many games of all sorts with my Dad fondly. He'll even learn a small lesson about life from being at that particular game that not everything's always going to go your way. Some of my students never seemed to pick that one up. :wink: Good for you for taking him...and how cool was it to see Favre on the way out?

packinpatland
01-22-2008, 04:04 PM
What OPF said...amen to that. Your son had a great experience with his dad and got to share something really special neither of you will ever forget. I can remember so many games of all sorts with my Dad fondly. He'll even learn a small lesson about life from being at that particular game that not everything's always going to go your way. Some of my students never seemed to pick that one up. :wink: Good for you for taking him...and how cool was it to see Favre on the way out?

How exactly did you mean this?

Badgerinmaine
01-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Hopefully just on his way out of the parking lot. 8-)