PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre's Greatest Moment - 1992

HarveyWallbangers
01-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Game winning TD pass to Kitrick Taylor vs. Cincinnati (September 20, 1992)

The Packers traded a 1st round pick to the Atlanta Falcons before the season for an unknown, 3rd string quarterback from Southern Mississippi. At the time, the move seemed typical for a mostly inept franchise. Typically bad. The Packers started the season 0-2 under first year head coach Mike Holmgren and quarterback Don Majkowski. Early in the game against a good Cincinnati team that had started the year 2-0, the "Majik Man" was injured (ala Wally Pipp). For the first three quarters Favre was inconsistent, erratic, and exciting to watch. However, in the 4th quarter Favre engineered a magical comeback, and the rest was history. Favre went 22 of 39 for 289 yards with 2 touchdowns and 0 interceptions.

Quotes:

Packers OL Tootie Robbins: "Brett got hot and when your quarterback gets to slingin' the football like that, I mean, the adrenaline gets going. Everyone on the field and the sideline had that look in their eye like, 'We aren't going to lose this football game.'"

Favre: "I couldn't bear to look," he said. "I just closed my eyes and waited for the crowd to let me know."

Story: http://www.packersnews.com/favre/articles/favre_24008631.shtml
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbt6jUtzVI0

HarveyWallbangers
01-21-2008, 09:12 PM
76-yard TD pass to Sterling Sharpe vs. Pittsburgh (September 27, 1992)

Out to prove the victory over the Bengals the week before wasn't a fluke, the Packers beat first year head coach Bill Cowher and the Steelers. The pump fake touchdown pass to Sharpe was a beautiful play, and signified more great passes to come. Favre went 14 of 19 for 210 yards with 2 touchdowns and 0 interceptions.

Quotes:

Chris Havel: "At best, Favre looked like a competent starter with a bright future. At worst, he looked like one heckuva backup. Twice Favre used pump fakes to free Sharpe for a 76-yard touchdown and rookie Robert Brooks for an 8-yard touchdown. Both times, three-time Pro Bowl cornerback Rod Woodson was victimized."

Story: http://www.packersnews.com/favre/articles/favre_24009053.shtml
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1P4q483TH0&feature=related

HarveyWallbangers
Guides the Packers to a 27-24 vs. Philadelphia despite separating his shoulder (November 15, 1992)

This was a big victory at the time and turned out to be an even bigger game down the line. The Packers garnered a great deal of respect while beating a playoff team for the first time in 33 games. Favre outdueled a fantastic Philadelphia defense--led by Reggie White. White later pointed to Favre and his toughness as a primary reason he signed with Green Bay. Well, other than God telling him to do so. Favre went 23 of 33 for 275 yards with 2 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.

Quotes:

Packers S LeRoy Butler: "Respect. We're going to get some now. We need some respect around here. Like Randall (Cunningham) telling everyone 'it's only Green Bay.' He can't say that now -- because we tore their (expletive deleted) up."

Sports Illustrated writer Leigh Montville: "He also showed durability and resourcefulness. In the first half of his seventh start his left shoulder was separated in a hit delivered by White, then with the Philadelphia Eagles. It was a brutal play. Favre had thrown his pass and could see the collision coming. He turned his body to absorb it. White grabbed his hand and yanked him back the other way to make him vulnerable. The two men landed together. Favre's shoulder was the point of impact. It was a play designed to do what it did -- to hurt him, hopefully to put him out of the game -- not to stop the pass. He stayed in the game, shot up with a painkiller at halftime, but could not lift his arm as high as his shoulder and could not hand off to the left. The Eagles and the rest of the teams on the Packers' schedule saw his difficulty and worked on it. The shoulder hurt for the rest of the season, but he still played."

Story: http://www.packersnews.com/favre/articles/favre_24018729.shtml

HarveyWallbangers
49-yard TD pass to Sterling Sharpe on a beautiful play action fake at Chicago (November 22, 1992)

Chicago had dominated the series for many years (having won 14 of the previous 17 meetings), and they had beaten the Packers at Lambeau Field earlier in the year. This was the turning point in a rivalry that was dominated by the Packers for most of Favre's remaining years. Favre went 16 of 24 for 209 yards with 1 touchdown and 0 interceptions.

Quotes:

Packers LB Brian Noble: "This is special for the guys on the team who have taken a lot of stuff from the Bears."

Story: http://www.packersnews.com/favre/articles/favre_24030430.shtml

HarveyWallbangers
01-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Guides the Packers to a big 16-14 victory at Houston on Sunday Night Football (December 13, 1992)

The Packers had to win to keep their playoff hopes alive, and they were a huge underdog playing on the road against the playoff bound Oilers. Favre was more steady than spectacular, but guided the team to a big victory. Favre went 19 of 30 for 155 yards with 1 touchdown and 1 interception against a good Oilers defense.

Quotes:

Packers S Chuck Cecil: "There's no way to describe now I feel. I can't pick the right words, maybe I could draw you a picture. You know, a thousand words. Playing good football."

Packers QBs coach Steve Mariucci: "I think maybe Vince Lombardi would be proud of us. But we're not done yet."

Story: http://www.packersnews.com/favre/articles/favre_24099371.shtml

Bretsky
01-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Great Thread and idea to bring back some happy memories; those are helpful now.

HarveyWallbangers
01-22-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm just about done with 1993 and 1994, so we need votes for 1992.
:D

The Leaper
01-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Tough choices.

The Kitrick Taylor TD is the obvious choice...it was his dramatic entrance to the NFL scene.

However, perhaps more important to the franchise was playing with a separated shoulder and earning Reggie's admiration...so that he eventually became a Packer and made us a Super Bowl contender.

I think I'll take the Eagles win...I think that victory was the turning point when the entire team finally believed Favre truly was the QB of the future and that the team wasn't going to revert back to what it was in the 70s and 80s.

oregonpackfan
01-22-2008, 09:46 AM
I'll take the Eagles win also. It became a trademark for Favre's toughness to play with a separated shoulder.

It also gathered tremendous respect for Favre around the league. As the article mentioned, it was a deciding factor for Reggie White to come to the Packers.

HarveyWallbangers
01-22-2008, 10:03 AM
I voted for Philly also. I'm a little surprised that the Kitrick Taylor TD isn't leading early. I'm also surprised that the Chicago game doesn't have any votes. Maybe the tagline (49-yard TD pass) doesn't sound as impressive as the others. However, considering the importance of that game, it was a big moment. Chicago had been better than us for a decade and had won 14 of the last 17 games against the Packers. We went to Chicago, and easily handled the Bears.

hoosier
01-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Kittrick Taylor because it's the only option that has a video link. I'm interpreting "greatest moment" as most memorable. The comeback against the Bengals and the strike to Taylor may or may not have been Favre's most impressive feat of 1992--I have no opinion about that--but it was clearly his most memorable moment, and its preservation on Youtube attests to that fact.

Another interesting question: does anyone who was following the Packers seriously in 1992 actually remember any of the games being discussed? I have a vague memory of watching the Bengals game (I was 21 at the time) but most of my "memories" of the last drive, I believe, have been influenced by JSO flashback articles and watching the Youtube video.

twoseven
01-22-2008, 12:51 PM
I vote for Brett's First Completion..To Himself, and getting YAC.

twoseven
01-22-2008, 12:56 PM
On serious thought, for me it's gotta be the Philly game, because Reggie White said that one of the things that steered him towards GB (besides the phone call from 'God') was Brett getting hammered against the Eagles only to get up and keep playing. There couldn't possibly be a more imporant moment to Brett Favre's career than that. Without Reggie coming to GB what might have been?

HarveyWallbangers
01-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Another interesting question: does anyone who was following the Packers seriously in 1992 actually remember any of the games being discussed? I have a vague memory of watching the Bengals game (I was 21 at the time) but most of my "memories" of the last drive, I believe, have been influenced by JSO flashback articles and watching the Youtube video.

The NFL and especially the Packers didn't get as much coverage back then. I didn't see the Bengals game, but the game against the Steelers the next week was on TV here in the Twin Cities. I remember watching that game, and thinking we had a future. I remember the two big pass plays. On the first one, Sharpe was lined up on the right side. Favre pump faked, Woodson bit, and Sharpe caught a ball about 30 yards downfield. He ran down the sideline untouched for a TD. On the second one, Brooks was on the rightside, I believe. Favre pump faked, Woodson bit, and Brooks caught a TD in the back corner of the endzone.

I also remember watching the Chicago game. That was a huge victory. I don't remember watching the Eagles game. The Sunday night game was a big one also. That may have been the toughest game of the year. The Oilers were good, and we were playing at the Astrodome. Favre didn't make any huge plays, but he played under control.

denverYooper
01-22-2008, 02:18 PM
I had to vote for the Chicago game. One of my best friends growing up was a Bears fan, and I didn't often get a chance back then to taunt him.

woodbuck27
01-22-2008, 02:19 PM
I can't pick bet. them. I was just so happy to finally have a young QB that looked like he was the real deal with some time behind center.

I really wonder what in HELL was going on in the consistency dept. though on Sunday. Brett just looked like a man that felt doomed and that's not at all what he demonstrated to us the rest of this season.

Brett Favre again looked all alone.He had to be upset about something that transpired last week as he has been so up all season generally.

What happened?

I hated the play calling that took so much away from his skills. Where was the slant pass and why not more fly pass's? Why not another shot for Ruvell Martin? Where was Greg Jennings and James Jones. »Where was Brandon Jackson and for GODs sake keep Morency on ST's till he demopnstrates a lot more in practise (outdoors in Decembe - January NOT indoors.

Right off the get go we see an imaginative play call to our FB that's successful and that disappears.

What in HELL was going on? Did MM want to win that game? Seriously!! :(

To practise indoors. . .uhhhh!!That if actually the TRUTH ( I wasn't on the forum or checking Packer sites last week) but if that is accurate reporting it's just plainly embarassing. What plays are going to work must be determined before game day not in the heat of the moment. A big factor in those plays was the weather or elements. Climitization.

This isn't Rocket Science but plain common sense.

Frig. maybe the team should just sit and play Madden next season instead of practising realistically. What a whoosie decision.

mmmdk
01-22-2008, 04:33 PM
I voted the Houston game 'cos it was a big SNF game on the road vs a really strong Oilers team. First spotlight win for a young Favre even though Moon didn't play; that Oilers D was stout.. I've got it on dvd and it's one of my favorite.

HarveyWallbangers
01-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Looks like the Kitrick Taylor play is the front-runner, but I'll let it play out another couple of days.

I'd like to come up with Brett's top 20 plays (maybe include one from each year if all 16 are worthy), so I'll put out a vote for each of Brett's 16 seasons--plus 4 others, or something like that.

the_idle_threat
01-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Outstanding thread, Harv! I voted for Brett's first game. The others are great too, but he really came out of nowhere there. When they replayed the audio of that game during the bye week this year, I thought it was funny how when Majik went doen and Favre came in, Max McGee said something to the effect that the game was over and possibly the season too. Brett was a revelation.

pacfan
01-28-2008, 08:24 AM
I voted for Philly,

Each are exciting in their own way, but this game did a lot for Green Bay (and for me). We beat a great defense and we we were starting to win games, games we didn't before. The only winning season for GB prior to this was the 10-6 season in '89. We had some 8-8 seasons with Gregg and Starr. I wasn't around for the Lombardi era.

When we beat philly, I was just euphoric. I started to have faith....

The Leaper
01-28-2008, 08:37 AM
When we beat philly, I was just euphoric. I started to have faith....

I agree. Favre's first win was a celebration, but I doubt anyone really thought Favre was the future after that game.

When he beat Philly...while enduring a separated shoulder...that is what convinced Packer players, coaches, fans...even Reggie White...that Favre was a guy who could take the team all the way to the top.

woodbuck27
01-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Harvey YOU must be a helluva guy. :)

GOD BLESS YOU.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Bump

Unfortunately, I'll probably get to finishing this now.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Bump. I sure hope 2008 adds to the great moments. I have my doubts, I'll leave it at that. We'll see how he does this year.

digitaldean
08-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Had to pick the Houston game.

That was the day our first child was born. (daughter born at 12:30 pm)

Was watching the game with my wife that evening at the hospital.... What a perfect day.

Freak Out
08-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Man this is a tough one.........

SnakeLH2006
08-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Game winning TD pass to Kitrick Taylor vs. Cincinnati (September 20, 1992)

Early in the game against a good Cincinnati team that had started the year 2-0, the "Majik Man" was injured (ala Wally Pipp). For the first three quarters Favre was inconsistent, erratic, and exciting to watch. However, in the 4th quarter Favre engineered a magical comeback, and the rest was history. Favre went 22 of 39 for 289 yards with 2 touchdowns and 0 interceptions.

Wow, I still remember that game as a kid, and it still gives me shivers. Great game, great memories.

HarveyWallbangers
08-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Wow, I still remember that game as a kid, and it still gives me shivers. Great game, great memories.

I was 22 at the time.
:shock: