PDA

View Full Version : Steeler's won't grant Big Bens Wishes

Partial
01-21-2008, 10:58 PM
When Ben Roethlisberger announced his off-season wish list, he officially became one of you. Rather, one of yinz.

Roethlisberger can wish all he wants, but the Steelers are not going to re-sign Alan Faneca. They’re not going to add a big wide receiver of any pedigree unless he’s available in the draft. Yinzer Nation can wish all it wants, but the Steelers are not going to alter the way they do things.

That’s with one notable exception: Big Ben will get a contract extension that includes $32 million or so in guaranteed money. Much as they would like to, the Steelers can’t escape that facet of NFL reality. To keep the big-time quarterback, you’ve got to splash the big-time cash. I just hope a defibrillator is handy when Dan Rooney is handed the pen.

Otherwise, it will be lack of business as usual. The Steelers will build through the draft, and any free agents they sign will be marginal.

Kevin Colbert is a good general manager — within the context of what the Steelers want him to do. Colbert shops at the dollar store. He gets an occasional good buy, like safety Ryan Clark.

The talk-show crowd is clamoring for the Steelers to yank 6-foot-4 Jacksonville receiver Ernest Wilford out of the free-agent pool. Despite a modest career and a modest 45 catches this season, however, Wilford will draw a fair amount of interest, and the Steelers won’t compete for him.

Adding a receiver would be a good idea. To maximize the investment in Roethlisberger, the Steelers need to maximize his weaponry, or at least upgrade it to average. Hines Ward is 32 and sidelined by wear-and-tear a bit more every year. Nate Washington drops darn near as many as he catches.

But if the Steelers get a receiver through free agency, it will be someone on Cedrick Wilson’s level. So why bother? They’ve already got Cedrick Wilson. Also, adding a receiver with tangible talent would just cause Ward — the self-proclaimed leader of the wideouts — to pop off about lack of respect, and how many times does he have to prove himself ... I just can’t go through that again.

Fact is, the logical thing for the Steelers to do would be to reinforce and realign their receiving corps with an eye toward Ward sliding to the No. 3 spot, to the slot. That role might prolong his career. At this point, less would be more for Ward. But why accept reasonable thinking when you can get what you want through whining, or the threat thereof? Ask any spoiled seventh-grade girl.

To maximize the investment in Roethlisberger, the Steelers also have to make sure he doesn’t die. Since Ben has cut down on motorcycle accidents, that leaves the offensive line to consider.

Colbert was recently quoted as saying that the offensive line is not necessarily a glaring need. That sounds absurd, but what else is Colbert supposed to say?

If Colbert says, “Boy, our line stinks” — what then? The Steelers aren’t going to replace the whole offensive line. Some of this season’s line is going to have to play next season, so perhaps it’s best to not drain them of the little bit of confidence they might yet happen to have. Colbert says what’s best for the team. If you ever bothered to think it through, you’d be happy about that.

That said, that line really does stink, and is losing its best player and leader besides. The Steelers broke their usual do-little free-agent policy by signing center Jeff Hartings in 2001. If an offensive lineman of Hartings’ ilk is available ... wait a minute, one is. But the Steelers are letting Faneca go.

That said, I don’t blame the Steelers. Giving a guard big money just doesn’t make sense. Cleveland did that last off-season, giving Eric Steinbach a deal that included $17 million in guarantees.

I analyze the NFL via one basic tenet: If the Browns did it, it must be wrong.

There’s already a clamor for Roethlisberger to help the Steelers retain Faneca by giving the wayward guard some of his money. That clamor is exactly why Ben shouldn’t have opened his yap regarding the Faneca situation.

At any rate, it’s Roethlisberger’s responsibility to get his. Period. The Steelers are currently projected to be $18.61 million under the NFL salary cap next season. They have the money to keep Faneca with no help from Roethlisberger.

So, with this column mercifully wrapping up, it’s time to bunker in for the Steelers off-season. Aside from the necessities — the draft and Roethlisberger’s contract extension — absolutely nothing of any interest will occur. But that won’t stop the Steelers from being featured in some manufactured way on the front page of every local sports page, and in the opening moments of every local newscast.

twoseven
01-22-2008, 04:12 AM
If TT had $25 mil in cap a few years ago Wahle would have be secured, I'm guessing. So to not look at the impact Hutchinson has had in MN and strongly consider Faneca (just a year older than our tackles) and the immediate impact he might make as we try to take that final step, I'm hopeful TT will do some research.

Bretsky
01-22-2008, 07:45 AM
I'd highly doubt TT gets involved in a competition for a FA pays big bucks for a top free agent unless we're at the end of free agency with a huge loot of money to get rid of.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-22-2008, 07:57 AM
I don't really want Faneca. He is gettting real old and will cost a lot. I would rather pick up a free agent on defense, like say the raiders corner who's a free agent. I forget his name, but he plays bump and run and would cost less than Samuel.

Partial
01-22-2008, 08:01 AM
I'd highly doubt TT gets involved in a competition for a FA pays big bucks for a top free agent unless we're at the end of free agency with a huge loot of money to get rid of.

Part of the reason I posted this article was to show that an organization can continually have great success without spending a ton in free agency. You've just got to find a pretty good quarterback. That Steelers team was pretty darn good this year.

pbmax
01-22-2008, 10:41 AM
I thought the plural for the 2nd person pronoun in Pittsburgh/Western Pennsylvania was 'yous'?

And the substitute for 'All of you' or "Your group' was 'youns'?

"Youns want Faneca signed to a long-term deal?"

When Ben Roethlisberger announced his off-season wish list, he officially became one of you. Rather, one of yinz.

BallHawk
01-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Faneca will not be a Packer. I only give about a 10% chance of a visit, assuming he doesn't re-sign with PIT, and about a 5% chance of him being a Packer.

twoseven
01-22-2008, 12:18 PM
I don't really want Faneca. He is gettting real old and will cost a lot. I would rather pick up a free agent on defense, like say the raiders corner who's a free agent. I forget his name, but he plays bump and run and would cost less than Samuel.
Our Tackles are 'getting real old and cost a lot'. Clifton is same age as Faneca and Taush is one year behind both of them, their contracts come due after 08' and after 09'. Faneca's been to the pro bowl seven times in ten seasons. He may be too expensive, but he's not too old.

Are we just relegated to accepting that our guards aren't very good for 1-2 more years as they try to improve, nothing else can be done? If there's a way to improve the Guards now without spending any money I'd love to hear it. Our guards got creamed most of Sunday night, their inability to handle the Giants DTs pass rush and open any lanes for Grant is just as much a part of why we are home watching the SB as anything else. I guess I am just hoping they won't still be a major weakness again next season like they were this season.

MJZiggy
01-22-2008, 12:40 PM
If he can replace Colledge (Mr. Whiff) for a couple seasons until he can get his shit together, I wouldn't mind it. I've been rooting for the kid from North Pole, but not at the expense of my QB.

twoseven
01-22-2008, 12:48 PM
If he can replace Colledge (Mr. Whiff) for a couple seasons until he can get his shit together, I wouldn't mind it. I've been rooting for the kid from North Pole, but not at the expense of my QB.
Hey, you said 'shit.' :shock:

I thought sailor talk was for the heathens at JSO..(?)

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Our Tackles are 'getting real old and cost a lot'. Clifton is same age as Faneca and Taush is one year behind both of them, their contracts come due after 08' and after 09'. Faneca's been to the pro bowl seven times in ten seasons. He may be too expensive, but he's not too old.

Are we just relegated to accepting that our guards aren't very good for 1-2 more years as they try to improve, nothing else can be done? If there's a way to improve the Guards now without spending any money I'd love to hear it. Our guards got creamed most of Sunday night, their inability to handle the Giants DTs pass rush and open any lanes for Grant is just as much a part of why we are home watching the SB as anything else. I guess I am just hoping they won't still be a major weakness again next season like they were this season.

I understand what your saying, but our tackles are not locked up for another five to six years. If you sign Allen he will not want less than a five or six year deal and will undoubtedly want at least tackle money. I would be open to signing him to a three year deal worth about 15 mil, but I doubt he would go for it.

MJZiggy
01-22-2008, 02:51 PM

It's a good thing you didn't hear me Sunday night... :oops:

We're not jso, but we do let one fly occasionally for emphasis...

twoseven
01-22-2008, 04:14 PM

I understand what your saying, but our tackles are not locked up for another five to six years. If you sign Allen he will not want less than a five or six year deal and will undoubtedly want at least tackle money. I would be open to signing him to a three year deal worth about 15 mil, but I doubt he would go for it.
That's kind of my point though. Tauscher comes due after next season, and Clifton the season after that. Right around the corner we'll have to deal with both of them. If we are not wlling to pay a guy like Faneca because of age/money, what will happen when our own two guys are in the same boat after 08' and 09'?

Forget I asked, Patler answered my question on the Tauscher post.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-22-2008, 04:26 PM
That's kind of my point though. Tauscher comes due after next season, and Clifton the season after that. Right around the corner we'll have to deal with both of them. If we are not wlling to pay a guy like Faneca because of age/money, what will happen when our own two guys are in the same boat after 08' and 09'?

Clifton would be to old to re-sign IMO once his contract is up. MT might be worth signing to a short term extension if we don't have a replacement for him by the end of the year.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-22-2008, 04:30 PM
oops sorry DP.

twoseven
01-22-2008, 04:35 PM

It's a good thing you didn't hear me Sunday night... :oops:

We're not jso, but we do let one fly occasionally for emphasis...

Please..if you could bottle up all of the colorful, malcontented, sarcastic and antagonistic argumentation I used to fill the JSO board with your head and your neighbor's head might explode. Why do you think it took me so long to come to this wonderfully mild mannered place filled with goodwill, educational insights, positive outlooks, and only one pervert to speak of?

MJZiggy
01-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Good thing you weren't here last offseason. :shock:

And he may be a pervert, but he's a very sweet pervert.