PDA

View Full Version : There are no Super Heroes in Football.

PackerBlues
01-22-2008, 08:52 AM
As much as we would all like to think that the cold in Wisconsin in some way gives our home team the advantage.......it does not! More than anything else, I blame the cold for the loss to the Giants. I also blame it for Greenbays second loss to the stinkin bears. The players on the Packers roster are not all natives of Wisconsin, nor did they practice out in the cold for this game against the Giants. Does that make them soft, or does it just point out that they are only human too??

It simply seemed to me, that the guys we watched play so loosely all damned season, in this game looked.........I dunno, like maybe they were freezing their asses off.

Personally, I think that looking back at the "Ice Bowl" with nostalgia every year at around the time that the bad Wisconsin weather inevitably rears its ugly fucking head.......is moronic. Maybe those guys were tougher back then........or maybe they simply won a game in very cold weather. Either way, should we in all honesty expect our team to have an advantage in below zero weather? Should we really be thinking that our team will react to the cold better than the opposing team for any reason?

How many potential free agents watch games like the one against the Giants and think "wow, I would love to play in GB!!!" My guess is none. Another way to look at it, how many of GB's own players thought to themselves during this game "Fuck, it is cold here, I cannot wait for my contract to expire so I can go somewhere warm!!!" I'm guessing at least a few.

Sorry to have to say this to all of you, especially those of you who do look back at the Ice Bowl with nastalgia, but perhaps it is time to put a dome on Lambeau, because...........there are no Super Heroes in Football.

Joemailman
01-22-2008, 09:20 AM
First of all, the Packers didn't lose this game because of the cold weather. It was just as cold for the Giants. The Packers lost this game in the trenches, and those guys (linemen) are least affected by the weather.

There might be some who don't want to come here because of the weather. Fine. I suspect those would be the guys who would lack the mental toughness to deal with all kinds of adversity anyway. Don't need them.

If we're going to talk about putting a dome on Lambeau, we might as well give in to PETA and end deer hunting. Maybe outlaw the sale of beer and cheese. Playing outdoors at Lambeau is part of the culture here, and that's not going to change.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
First of all, the Packers didn't lose this game because of the cold weather. It was just as cold for the Giants. The Packers lost this game in the trenches, and those guys (linemen) are least affected by the weather.

There might be some who don't want to come here because of the weather. Fine. I suspect those would be the guys who would lack the mental toughness to deal with all kinds of adversity anyway. Don't need them.

If we're going to talk about putting a dome on Lambeau, we might as well give in to PETA and end deer hunting. Maybe outlaw the sale of beer and cheese. Playing outdoors at Lambeau is part of the culture here, and that's not going to change.

:tup:

PackerBlues
01-22-2008, 09:56 AM
It was a 3 point game, and both teams looked like shit. You want to say it was more the linemans fault that the Packers lost? I didn't see it that way, but if you did........whatever. It is simply my opinion, that the cold effected both teams, and neither of them played as well as they would have in better conditions.

As opposed to the guys who played in the game we are reffering to? We have all seen them play better than that. Yet you want to say the cold had nothing to do with it? Again.......whatever.

I suppose a lot of people fear change, why should you be any different. If you were to honestly weigh the Pro's and cons of putting a dome on Lambeau, the number one strike against it would be from guys like you crying about your "culture" while trying to relive the past dreaming about the great "Ice Bowl". what the hell does having a dome have to do with deer hunting? Is it not possible to eat a brat under a dome? Outlaw the sale of beer and cheese??????? HA HA

oregonpackfan
01-22-2008, 09:57 AM
I agree with Joe that culturally a dome would not be tolerated in Green Bay.

There are other more practical reasons why a dome will never be built over Lambeau. I doubt if a dome can be added to an existing stadium. Structurally, the support system for a dome may not be able to be placed to a previously built facility. Are there any civil engineers and/or architects out there who can answer this point?

The second would be the huge added cost. Let us not forget that the Packers are not owned by a single multi-billionaire like most teams. A levy/ballot measure for a domed Lambeau Stadium would unlikely be approved by Brown County voters because of the huge cost involved.

Patler
01-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Personally, I think that looking back at the "Ice Bowl" with nostalgia every year at around the time that the bad Wisconsin weather inevitably rears its ugly fucking head.......is moronic. Maybe those guys were tougher back then........or maybe they simply won a game in very cold weather. Either way, should we in all honesty expect our team to have an advantage in below zero weather? Should we really be thinking that our team will react to the cold better than the opposing team for any reason?

If anything, the Ice Bowl showed that there was no advantage for GB in the frigid weather. They were fortunate to win that game. Dallas had put themselves in position to win, until the Packers, who were a collection of future HOF'ers and playoff experienced veterans decided not to give in to the upstarts from down south.

Joemailman
01-22-2008, 10:29 AM
One thing some people might want to consider is that the weather conditions we saw Sunday are not going to happen all the time. The high temperature in Green Bay was 20-25 degrees below normal. Sure it can happen anytime, but probably won't on a regular basis.

PackerBlues
01-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Just to clarify here also, when I say that I blame the cold more than anything else..........

After the game, I found that I was not quite as "bummed out" as I thought that I should have felt, having just watched the Pack lose to the Giants, with the outcome being that it would be the Giants going to the Superbowl, and not Favre and the Packers.

I had to ask myself one simple question though, that put it all into perspective: Could I honestly expect anyone to play well in those conditions? The only answer that made any sense, was "NO".

Could I blame M3, and say that he didn't call enough run plays?.......hell yeah I could.

Could I blame Al Harris for talking shit all day long, while getting his ass handed to him? ........Yes I definitely could.

Could I blame Favre for throwing two ugly interceptions?.........I wouldn't, lol......but you might.

When it is that damned cold out, it effects a person more than just physically, it also effects a person mentally. So in all honesty, most of the mistakes made in that game, to me, come down to having to play in that cold. So I do not have bad feelings or ill will towards any of the guys that played in that game........I blame the weather for not getting to see the game that I had dreamed about, nothing more.