PDA

View Full Version : NY MEdia & Favre...

George The Animal Steel
01-22-2008, 08:57 AM
I don't post that much, though i've been a member for a while. I just needed to vent because I live in NJ and work in NYC, and the NY sports media is insufferable. As good as McGinn and co at the JS are, these clowns are the exact opposite. Nothing but hyperbolic nonsense, "team of destiny" crap. The next two weeks are going to be painful and as much as I detest the Pats, I could very well wind up rooting against the Giants....This sucks

Lastly, I need to say that like many of you, if not most of you, I have really been a huge Favre for the last 15 plus years. My wife accuses me of worshipping him like a little boy and likes to tell all our friends that no one is allowed to ever speak ill of him in our home. When the football punditry [particularly here on the East coast] was hypercritical of him over the past few years in almost a backlash, I made excuses and pointed out all the reasons why he was still among the three or four best QBs playing and not in decline at all. What i'm getting to, is that I am starting to wonder whether at crunch time, our hero is more susceptible to the bone headed play than many other all time greats...Elway...Montana....etc... Both interceptions in the 2nd Half [to say nothing of the Dallas game] and OT seem like terrible throws and decisions...and would other clutch qbs have made them? Please show me how I am wrong. It just seems to me that Favre should realize like many of us think that he should be running our offense like Oakland's of 5 years ago, when Gannon won MVP and their short to medium range passing game with high percentage routes seemed unstoppable. Gannon is not in Favre's league so one would think our offense would be even more potent.

Anyway, I just really needed to vent in a rambling fashion. Thanks.

MJZiggy
01-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Wow, George, vent more often...Very well said.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Exactly! I love Favre, probably why I became a packer fan, but he makes to many mistakes when it counts the most. If he doesn't throw those two picks and plays within himself like Manning did, we probably win the game. I understand the whole team didn't play that good, but when your QB starts throwing INT's you have no chance what so ever. And it's not like game was over or out of reach. Frustrating…….

Joemailman
01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
If you saddle Eli Manning with the Packers running game Sunday, and give Favre the Giants running game, I suspect you see a different result. Tom Brady threw 3 INT's Sunday, but his team bailed him out. Once again the adage that quarterbacks get too much credit when the team wins, and too much blame when the team loses has been proven correct.

packinpatland
01-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Exactly! I love Favre, probably why I became a packer fan, but he makes to many mistakes when it counts the most. If he doesn't throw those two picks and plays within himself like Manning did, we probably win the game. I understand the whole team didn't play that good, but when your QB starts throwing INT's you have no chance what so ever. And it's not like game was over or out of reach. Frustrating…….

mmmmmm..........Tom Brady had 3 INT's

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-22-2008, 09:31 AM

Tom Brady plays for the Patriots, probably the best team in the history of the league. We were in a much closer game and have a lesser team, thus the turnovers hurt us much more.

Not only that, but Rivers was throwing picks as well so it offset. Manning played a clean game, I expect Favre to at least play up to his opponent.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Also Brady's playoff record speaks for itself. If I had to pick one QB in the league (maybe in the history of the league) to be my QB when it counts the most, I want Brady.

oregonpackfan
01-22-2008, 09:51 AM
If you saddle Eli Manning with the Packers running game Sunday, and give Favre the Giants running game, I suspect you see a different result. Tom Brady threw 3 INT's Sunday, but his team bailed him out. Once again the adage that quarterbacks get too much credit when the team wins, and too much blame when the team loses has been proven correct.

Joe's point needs to be emphasized over and over. Favre has had the added challenge for a number of his years with the Packers, of having a squad with mediocre and/or poor talent. Yes, there have been some years where the overall team talent was good.

The fact is that with some other greatly talented teams, Favre's performance level would have risen even more.

George The Animal Steel
01-22-2008, 09:52 AM

I didnt see the entire NE SD game. But I guess with respect to Favre's ints, its the nature of the INTs that concerns me. One of Brady's was a tipped pass. Not sure about the other two. But both of Favre's were bad. The first was a typical chuck into triple coverage while the second was an off target underthrown ball...

The funny thing is, I just realized that I won't have these discussions that are critical of favre with non packer fans...sort of like discussing family business outside the family. But I feel like I need to discuss this with fellow pack fans...Like I said, though...I am a huge Favre fan and know well that the great far outweighs the bad. That he is in the conversation about all time greats and that I remember with clarity from my childhood, the Randy Wright and Whitehurst days.....we have been spoiled.

denverYooper
01-22-2008, 10:03 AM
I didnt see the entire NE SD game. But I guess with respect to Favre's ints, its the nature of the INTs that concerns me. One of Brady's was a tipped pass. Not sure about the other two. But both of Favre's were bad. The first was a typical chuck into triple coverage while the second was an off target underthrown ball...

To be fair, Robinson was down there waving his hand around on the first pick. That's not to say Favre's blameless, but K-Rob has some accountability on that one. He had no business signaling that he was open. It was like a red flag for a bull.

Really, though, I think that play was designed to show off Tauscher's prowess. :lol:

cpk1994
01-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Exactly! I love Favre, probably why I became a packer fan, but he makes to many mistakes when it counts the most. If he doesn't throw those two picks and plays within himself like Manning did, we probably win the game. I understand the whole team didn't play that good, but when your QB starts throwing INT's you have no chance what so ever. And it's not like game was over or out of reach. Frustrating…….Favre was not responsible for this loss at all. Favre didn't playwithin himself? BS. Favre played well within himself If this game had been played 2 years ago Favre would have had 6 picks because he would have forced a lot more throws than just the one on the first INT. TO say that if Favre would have thrown his 2 picks we would have won is ignortant(as the first one was negated by a fuumble recovery and the second one would matter because by that point they couldn't move the ball anyway). Favre was very controlled in this game. He was inaccurate, but controlled. You want to blame someone start at the top with Mike McCarthy. His playcalling was absolute crap.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Exactly! I love Favre, probably why I became a packer fan, but he makes to many mistakes when it counts the most. If he doesn't throw those two picks and plays within himself like Manning did, we probably win the game. I understand the whole team didn't play that good, but when your QB starts throwing INT's you have no chance what so ever. And it's not like game was over or out of reach. Frustrating…….Favre was not responsible for this loss at all. Favre didn't playwithin himself? BS. Favre played well within himself If this game had been played 2 years ago Favre would have had 6 picks because he would have forced a lot more throws than just the one on the first INT. TO say that if Favre would have thrown his 2 picks we would have won is ignortant(as the first one was negated by a fuumble recovery and the second one would matter because by that point they couldn't move the ball anyway). Favre was very controlled in this game. He was inaccurate, but controlled. You want to blame someone start at the top with Mike McCarthy. His playcalling was absolute crap.

I never placed all the blame on Favre, but if your going to sit here and not believe the out come of the game come have been different if Favre didn’t throw those two picks, then you my friend are the one who is ignorant. The fact of the matter is that the QB position is the most important on the team and if you get bad QB play you most likely will lose. If in overtime we didn't sustain a drive and punted and then the giants won, I would no put any of the blame on Favre. But when you throw a pick on our side of the 50, what chance do we you to win? This is why I even hate to talk about Favre, people take it so personally and defend him all the time. The guy deserves some of the blame, period. Remember the Seahawks game in 2003? The game went to OT, we got an offensive position, did nothing and then punted. What happened next? INT we win. My point is at least give us a chance to win, don’t turn the ball over and give the giants the win.

As for McCarthy, in another thread I already said he is also to blame. He should of run the ball a lot more. Corner also played bad, as did the d-line in terms of a pass rush.

MadtownPacker
01-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Whats up George? Welcome to the forum.

You gotta pay tribute to the great one in your avatar..

http://www.clubwwi.com/images/1george.gif

fan4life
01-22-2008, 11:16 AM
I wrote about this in the Favre thread, but to blame this loss on Favre is ridiculous. Sure, his bag of tricks came up a little short on magic.... but this loss is not on his shouldes alone.

wrt QBs and ints, here is what we've seen in the playoffs:

Ben Roethlisberger... several ints against the Jags. The game was a fight 'til the end because he had to spend most of the game digging out of the whole his ints put the team in. But without Willie Parker, Pittsburgh wasn't going to win running Najeh Davenport.

Dave Garrard, the QB who so many thought might play toe-to-toe with the Pats because he "took care of the ball," lost in the waning minutes when the Pats intercepted him on a final scoring drive.

Peyton Manning... what 3 ints against SD? Including one that ended a potential scoring drive in the final seconds of regulation.

Tony Romo had one final chance to be the hero, too, but was intercepted on a play that was nothing more than a prayer.

Two other QBs that many were praising for the way they "protected the ball", Todd Collins (WAS) and Jeff Garcia (TB) were intercepted twice to kill scoring drives that would have given their teams leads (and the victory, in WAS's case.)

Hasselbeck and Philp Rivers were both intercepted, but won, their first round games. The second rounds? I can't remember. But I do remember that their teams made so few plays that they weren't even in their contests in the second half; ie, ints had nothing to do with losing.

Ahhh, yes and then there is Tom Terrific. In the AFC championship game he was intercepted three times even though his was clearly the better team on the field (ie, you wouldn't think he needed to take risks...) and what did his coach do? Took the ball out of his hands and had Maroney (RB) and the Pats powerful O-line pound home the win.

Do TOs determine the outcome of games? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. They are part of the game - and to label a QB as careless, reckless, etc, is stupid and uninformed. When behind, and/or a team can't run the ball, the QB usually has to throw to score. That gives his opponent a chance to make a play, too. At the end of the day, you expect the QB and his receiver to make the play... but sometimes its the db.

Against NY, Favre tried to get the ball downfield and let his receivers make plays. Too often, they couldn't come down with them and one was intercepted (and hung onto) by a NY db. His throw to Donald wasn't a dumb f(*& throw as much as it was a case of poor execution. Before the game, Terry Bradshaw showed what can happen in cold weather when a QBs frozen hands can't get a good grip on the ball. And that's exactly what Favre's pass to Donald looked like.

Of course, when the cold hurt his ability to throw and the WRs ability to jump and come down with downfield throws, GB could have just run the ball, like the Pats.

Well, maybe not.

Get over it. Favre didn't lose this game because of careless interceptions or poor decision-making. On that cold night, against NYs defense, GB just didn't have the personnel, execution or game plan that they needed to win on, and in spite of, the Frozen Tundra.

George The Animal Steel
01-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Whats up George? Welcome to the forum.

You gotta pay tribute to the great one in your avatar..

http://www.clubwwi.com/images/1george.gif

you got it. don't know what i was thinking....if only there were a turnbuckle around here to eat.