View Full Version : Favorite Classy Dish

Pages : [1] 2

Partial
05-22-2006, 01:54 AM
Hands down, chicken vino bianco.

Homemade, it is definitely for the win!

Patler
05-22-2006, 02:06 AM
My favorite classy dish was this girl I knew in college......

MadtownPacker
05-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Carnita tacos from the taco shop.

MJZiggy
05-22-2006, 08:55 AM
There are too many to choose from!! I LOVE the crab linguini in lemon butter sauce from this little joint we go to, then there's chicken saltambocca, and I just tried sea bass the other day which was wonderful, then there's a nicely cooked filet mignon or prime rib. My mom's homemade spaghetti sauce is not to be trifled with as well. That stuff is phenomenal. Another favorite is "confetti" spaghetti, though it's a heart attack waiting to happen.

Scott Campbell
05-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Where do you start?

Ok, how bout the oft maligned beef tartar, or as I grew up knowing it - raw beef. Growing up, it was served at virtually every party you'd go to. Now you hardly ever see it, except for the menus of spendy restaurants.

MadtownPacker
05-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Where do you start?

Ok, how bout the oft maligned beef tartar, or as I grew up knowing it - raw beef. Growing up, it was served at virtually every party you'd go to. Now you hardly ever see it, except for the menus of spendy restaurants.
Why you gotta bring that shit up you Dalmer wannabe!!

GBRulz
05-22-2006, 11:09 AM
ok, I know it's not too classy....but give me an endess helping of Alaskan King Crab legs and a heaping of melted butter anyday...

I hate not living in a seafood saavy city. and no, the glowing fish that you can find in the Fox River don't count...

You know something is wrong when I have a craving for crab legs and oysters, that Hooters is the best place to get that stuff around here. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just indicating our lack of seafood places around here. Although we do have a place called Marty's which flies in fresh crab daily from New England.

And no, Red Lobster isn't what I call fresh seafood. It's sorta like people thinking Olive Garden is authentic Italian.

MJZiggy
05-22-2006, 11:14 AM
You gotta come see me!

GBRulz
05-22-2006, 11:24 AM
I knew you would pipe in and rub it in!! :mrgreen:

Little Whiskey
05-22-2006, 12:25 PM
ever other year we go to maine. hell they serve lobsta like wisconsin has fish frys. we usually stay for a week, and last time we went we had lobsta at least once every day. talk about fresh. hell it was wondering free in the ocean that morning. damn i wish this wasn't the off year!! lobster, mussels, clams, and vats of butter.

as long as we are converting the subject to "non-classy" dishes. brats and saurkraut, is a fav of mine. contrary to what some might think, brats don't have to be served on a bun. My wife's great aunt, who came over on the boat, would slap you in the face if you asked for a bun for her brats and kraut.

GBRulz
05-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Traditionally, Germans served just that...brats and kraut.

and to think that I didn't learn anything by watching "National Lampoons European Vacation" :wink:

Maybe the bun concept was started by Packer tailgaters, who felt the need to have a beer in one hand and a brat in the other. Well, on a plate, that is just impossible...hence the invention of the bun... :mrgreen:

Deputy Nutz
05-22-2006, 12:47 PM

Wow! Pipe and rub in the same sentence.

Deputy Nutz
05-22-2006, 12:50 PM
King Crab is by far my favorite meal. My mother serves it on New Year's Eve. I am talking legs that are close to 3 feet long! My aunt brings over the filets and I slather the baby back ribs! My all time favorite meal right there.

The other thing that is damn good are saltwater scallops. Sautee those fuckers in butter and squeeze some lemon, finally knock them off with a lttle crack pepper.

Murphy37
05-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Tube steak, smothered in underpants

Am I a geek or what?

Deputy Nutz
05-22-2006, 12:58 PM
I love Murphy's oysters. Very crunchy on the outside, but warm and soft on the inside.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-22-2006, 02:06 PM
King Crab is by far my favorite meal. My mother serves it on New Year's Eve. I am talking legs that are close to 3 feet long! My aunt brings over the filets and I slather the baby back ribs! My all time favorite meal right there.

The other thing that is damn good are saltwater scallops. Sautee those fuckers in butter and squeeze some lemon, finally knock them off with a lttle crack pepper.

No wonder Nutz is FAT. Give me credit for coming up with the term "FAT NUT." I could sue Madtown for using it, but I'm a liberal so I won't.

MJZiggy
05-22-2006, 02:12 PM

That wasn't rubbing it in. Twas an invite. :cool:

Anti-Polar Bear
05-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Hey Nutz, your mama is so fat, she passed it to you and made you a fat nutz. hahaha...I am a bad bad bad joker. :neutral:

Little Whiskey
05-22-2006, 02:23 PM

That wasn't rubbing it in. Twas an invite. :cool:

are you inviting us all out?? are you going to have to ask all your husbands if it is okay

MJZiggy
05-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Well not all at once!!! The house just isn't very big...and if you count that guy that shows up here every night wanting dinner, that makes one.

Little Whiskey
05-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Well not all at once!!! The house just isn't very big...

i thought you were handy??? maybe you should get working on the Packer Rat guest wing. :mrgreen:

GBRulz
05-22-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm thinking we're all going to Nutz's house for New years!

As long as there isn't anything small that one can choke on in Murphy's oysters, I guess we'll be safe.

I'm talking PEARLS people, jeez :wink:

GBRulz
05-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Zig is never going to live down her one spelling error, is she? but on the other hand, if she has an extra husband worth applying for, let me know...

Harlan Huckleby
05-22-2006, 04:18 PM
My favorite classy dish is Gwyneth Paltrow.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-22-2006, 06:34 PM
A nice greasy pork sandwich served on a dirty ashtray.

Sparkey
05-22-2006, 09:14 PM
WOuldn't call this classy but....

Nothing is better than an italian sausage sandwich. Now before anyone goes off on my recipe, I am not italian and I dont care if its not authentic. All I know is it is by far the best sandwich I make.

Johnsonville Sweet Italians (five pack)
Sargento's shredded Mozzarella/Provolonge blend
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Red Onion
BUTTER
Mild Salsa

Grill those sweet Italians over charcoal (Grove Charcoal if possible) and do not overcook the sausage. While grilling the meat, Slice the peppers and onion and sautee in butter over a medium heat until tender.

Slice a sub bun so that it holds all the goodies but dont cut all the way through, that way you can load up without everything falling out the ends. Sprinkle a good layer of cheese on the bottom of the bun, then lay the sausage, followed by a good old heaping of sauteed veggies, then more cheese and topped off with some mild salsa.

Just made those Sunday night. Damn good sandwhich.

Badgepack
05-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Parthenon's Gyros on State Street in Madison.

Gosh, I miss them.

Bretsky
05-22-2006, 11:15 PM

Gosh, I miss them.

PARTHENON'S IS THE GREATEST GYRO PLACE IN THE WORLD; I miss that State Street Joint so much.

Best meal of the year every year for me is Dad's Prime Rib on Xmas Eve. He's been the head chef at the Fireside in Fort Atkinson for about 40yrs and knows how to slow cook that and make the au jus to perfection.

GrnBay007
05-22-2006, 11:20 PM
wow, the Holidays will be so busy this year!! Travel to Bretsky's Dads house for x-mas eve and then on to Nutz Mom's for new years eve. Your parents will be so happy you made so many nice new friends!! :razz:

CyclonePackFan
05-22-2006, 11:35 PM

Gosh, I miss them.

PARTHENON'S IS THE GREATEST GYRO PLACE IN THE WORLD

Smiles and Gyros, Ames, IA. Little corner stand run by a guy who's (now) on the Ames city council. Heh, he stole so much business from the Jimmy John's he sets up in front of I think they tried to legally force him to move.

Best classy dish: Give me a good Porterhouse or a Filet Mignon with a nice baked potato at a fine steakhouse.

Badgepack
05-22-2006, 11:49 PM
I've had some of those gyros in college town, right? Not bad, but not even close to the ones at Parthenons.

Patler
05-23-2006, 03:40 AM
PARTHENON'S IS THE GREATEST GYRO PLACE IN THE WORLD; I miss that State Street Joint so much.

Nope, the best gyro places are the various walk up vendors in Athens, At least they were 35 years ago!

Tyrone Bigguns
05-23-2006, 03:47 AM

Nope, the best gyro places are the various walk up vendors in Athens, At least they were 35 years ago!

Are you tryin to say that some dang greeks are better than Mericans? You best take that talk elsewhere.

Iron Mike
05-23-2006, 07:50 AM
Coquilles St. Jacques Recipe
Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs. sea scallops
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
3 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
2 Tablespoons grated swiss cheese
2 Tablespoons bread crumbs

Directions
Combine scallops, wine, salt and pepper in a large saucepan. Slowly bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes and then drain the cooking liquid and set aside for use later. Remove the scallops from the pan and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in the saucepan add onions and saute on low until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add flour. Stir in cooking liquid that was set aside and milk. Bring to a boil reduce heat an cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add scallops and mushrooms. Cook for another 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add swiss cheese. Mix well. Fill buttered casserole with scallop mixture. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and dot with remaining butter. Broil until top is browned. Serve hot.

mmmm mmmmmm mmmmmm..................... :razz:

Little Whiskey
05-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Best classy dish: Give me a good Porterhouse or a Filet Mignon with a nice baked potato at a fine steakhouse.

keep that away from jack, cause he would slather A1 all over it!! damn commi!!

:mrgreen:

FavreChild
05-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Either that or he'd char the hell out of it.

Filet mignon is meant to be medium-rare. No exceptions.

Badgepack
05-23-2006, 12:14 PM
This past weekend,

Bacon wrapped filets, with garlic butter
Sweet corn in a cajun salsa butter stuff
Loaded bake potatoes

all on the grill, damn good dinner.

Little Whiskey
05-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Either that or he'd char the hell out of it.

Filet mignon is meant to be medium-rare. No exceptions.

wrapped in bacon that still has a little wiggle left in it. hell, jack is probably hunched over losing his lunch as he is reading this.

he might as well eat a hamburger if he's going to burn the hell out of it and pour katchup all over it!!

Deputy Nutz
05-23-2006, 12:41 PM
I love medium-rare steak, only problem is that I empty my colon about 30 minutes later.

My favorite steak place is MR. B's. They give you a couple of diiferent sauces to go with your steak. That is the only time I ever put anything on my meat. :twisted:

Tyrone Bigguns
05-23-2006, 01:29 PM
You NEED a sauce, depending on the cut of the meat.

Filet, because it lacks fat, depends on a sauce or flavoring. Hence bacon wraped filets, smothered in mushrooms, hollandaise, bordelaise, etc.

I good cut of meat with proper fat doesn't need much more than salt and pepper.

What is unequivocally true is that cooking a steak or good cut of meat past medium kills the flavor and makes the meat tougher. Course you gotta eat it the way you like it, but I would suggest trying to broaden one's palate.

When I use to work in fine dining anyone that ordered a steak past medium was thought of as a moron by most of the staff. And, asking a the chef to cook a steak well done was very rough as they take it personal that someone wants them to ruin their product. Not a fun time having them blame you for the customer's taste. What makes it even worse is that cooking a filet to well takes a long time so the chef just stews on it, hating you and the customer. Woe to the server who takes an order of well done on a filet without asking the customer if they want it butterflied.

Harlan Huckleby
05-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Rare is the only way I want a steak. "I want it to scream when I bite into it" is the old texas saying.

Prime rib is my favorite indulgence.

MJZiggy
05-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Rare is the only way I want a steak. "I want it to scream when I bite into it" is the old texas saying.

Prime rib is my favorite indulgence.

You buyin'?

Harlan Huckleby
05-23-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm gonna be thinking about prime rib this afternoon.

Little Whiskey
05-23-2006, 02:38 PM

Filet, because it lacks fat, depends on a sauce or flavoring. Hence bacon wraped filets, smothered in mushrooms, hollandaise, bordelaise, etc.

i don't think A1 constitutes a "sauce"

Harlan Huckleby
05-23-2006, 03:00 PM
A1 is a boch ketchup. It forms at the top of ketchup barrels after aging.

A1 is lame, but restaurants go with it because it has been around forever.

And as long as I'm ranting, I'm a fan of pepper sauces. Yet restaraunts carry tobasco because it's been around since the 1940's. It is impossible to find a worse pepper sauce than tobasco.

Scott Campbell
05-23-2006, 03:07 PM

That's not consistent with what I know.

A filet has almost as much fat content as a T-bone, and more fat than almost any other cut of beef.

http://www.txbeef.org/pdf/29_lean_cuts.pdf

You wrap a filet in bacon or smother it with sauce only because you like bacon and/or sauce. Not because you need to. A good filet does perfectly fine all on it's own.

Little Whiskey
05-23-2006, 03:10 PM
A1 is a boch ketchup. It forms at the top of ketchup barrels after aging.

A1 is lame, but restaurants go with it because it has been around forever.

when i order a steak from a restaurant, and the waitress asks me if i want A1. my reply is "I hope not"

MJZiggy
05-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Steakhouses across the country will see an increase in sales this evening...

Little Whiskey
05-23-2006, 03:16 PM

naa, i'd really rather grill my own.

swede
05-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Where do you start?

i was at a conference when a presenter who had been flown in from back east was confronted with steak tartare among the buffet offerings at the reception. He wondered aloud if it was an e. coli deficiency among Wisconsin people that provoked them to eat such a thing.

Badgepack
05-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Brats from County Stadium with Stadium sauce or was it county sauce?
I forget, but they were very tastey. How is the fare at Miller Park by the way?

Scott Campbell
05-23-2006, 03:40 PM

naa, i'd really rather grill my own.

There's some merit to that, though it's getting tougher and tougher to find decent cuts of meat in retail shops. That's the advantage the top tier restaurants have.

Deputy Nutz
05-23-2006, 03:57 PM
The fat in a filet is actually in the meat, the little white lines you see in prime cuts of meat. I forget what they call it, but the more you see the better. They have some proper name for it.

MJZiggy
05-23-2006, 04:03 PM
veining or marbling. Now I'm hungry.

Deputy Nutz
05-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Marbling!!! Thats the ticket, keeps the steak juicy and flavorful, but it comes with a downer a heart attack.

Scott Campbell
05-23-2006, 04:15 PM
Marbling!!! Thats the ticket, keeps the steak juicy and flavorful, but it comes with a downer a heart attack.

Counteract it with red wine.

FavreChild
05-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Brats from County Stadium with Stadium sauce or was it county sauce?
I forget, but they were very tastey. How is the fare at Miller Park by the way?

Secret Stadium Sauce! A must for any backyard BBQ. You can order the sauce from www.brewcityonline.com if you really have a hankerin', BadgePack.

The hot ticket at Miller Park these days (besides the various sausages, which will always reign supreme) is the Cactus League Nachos.

Badgepack
05-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Thank you FavreChild,

You are very kind.

I'm ordering some right know, my neighbors will love me.

Iron Mike
05-23-2006, 06:54 PM
For those of you without access to a Catholic Church in NEW:

Chicken Booyah
Booyah is a thick chicken and beef stew created by Walloon Belgian immigrants to Northeastern Wisconsin. The word "booyah" comes from the French "boullir" or the Walloon "bouyon", meaning to boil. Many community fundraisers in Northern Wisconsin and Southwestern Minnesota feature booyah cooked in huge pots over an open fire, stirred with a canoe paddle.

1 lb. butter
25 lbs. chicken, cut in pieces and browned
5 lbs. beef, cubed and browned
5 lbs. onions browned with meat
5 lbs. celery, diced
5 lbs. carrots, diced
3 pecks potatoes, peeled and diced
5 lbs. shredded cabbage
5 lbs. fresh tomatoes, diced
1 cup salt
4 teaspoons pepper
1 cup chopped parsley

The following may be added if desired:

5 No. 2 cans whole kernel corn or equivalent of fresh cooked corn, 2 lbs. dried split peas, soaked overnight and cooked until tender, 2 lbs. dried navy beans, soaked overnight and cooked until tender.

Brown meat, add seasoning and enough hot water to cook until tender. Debone cooked chicken and cut into cubes. Place all the meat in a large pot. Add vegetables in the order given according to the length of time for cooking each, with enough additional boiling water for cooking the mixture. Watch the mixture carefully to prevent sticking and burning. Add more water as needed.

Makes 25 gallons
(This is pretty much the standard recipe. If I were making a pot of booyah, I'd add fresh herbs and spices, such as thyme and rosemary, perhaps some marjoram, and maybe a few splashes of hot-pepper sauce. But then it wouldn't be Booyah the way they make it up nort')

--Hey.......they forgot about the oxtails!!!! :mad:

GBRulz
05-23-2006, 08:08 PM
The best place that I'd ever gone for steak is Gibson's, in Chicago.

However, when I don't feel like driving 3 hours or paying $75 for dinner, Texas Road House is just fine. Since they came to GB, Timber Lodge Steak House went out of business about 2 months later. Also, Prime Quarter, which used to be THE place for steak, has also lost a tremendous amount of business.

Iron Mike
05-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Since they came to GB, Timber Lodge Steak House went out of business about 2 months later.

Are they still in business by the Fox River Mall?

Tyrone Bigguns
05-23-2006, 09:21 PM

i don't think A1 constitutes a "sauce"

I would agree. But, I think he was referring to using it on a steak, which I don't think of when i think of filet.

But, I would have less of a problem using it on a filet than a t-bone, porterhouse, etc.

Most of those "sauces" are just to sweet and take away from the meat. Kinda like using ketchup on a hotdog.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-23-2006, 09:41 PM

That's not consistent with what I know.

A filet has almost as much fat content as a T-bone, and more fat than almost any other cut of beef.

http://www.txbeef.org/pdf/29_lean_cuts.pdf

You wrap a filet in bacon or smother it with sauce only because you like bacon and/or sauce. Not because you need to. A good filet does perfectly fine all on it's own.

Sorry, Scott, but you are wrong. First, the pdf is of LEAN cuts. Most of those cuts you wouldn't even find at any decent restaurant.

Furthermore, most chefs trim the fat of the filet. You will notice a t-bone at most places has more fat left on it, including the filet part. I have worked fine dining and eaten at most of the top steakhouses (G&G, Mortons, Lugers, RC's) in the county, and you never find any fat on the outside of a filet...nothing crispy and charred..mmm, delicious.

Also, if you will notice, many of those cuts require long cooking times because of how lean and tough they are. Hence the word ROAST. This long cooking time is where you add fat/flavor to them...cooking in their juices or adding gravy to them.

Chefs add sauces and bacon to add flavor because LEAN cuts lack the most flavor. Flavor comes from the fat (and that is in any dish). That is why Kobe beef with its excellent marbling is so flavorful.

Filets, while lacking great flavor (i didn't say no flavor) are exceedingly tender.

Scott, the proof, as my mom would say, is in the pudding. Go look for recipes involving filets and sauces vs. fattier pieces of meat. Nobody throws more fat on a prime rib (maybe some au jus or horseradish).There is a reason for this.

Scott Campbell
05-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Scott, the proof, as my mom would say, is in the pudding. Go look for recipes involving filets and sauces vs. fattier pieces of meat. Nobody throws more fat on a prime rib (maybe some au jus or horseradish).There is a reason for this.

Well, as a matter of fact - they do. Fine meat purveyors offer prime rib roasts with extra layer of fat tied on. You don't see it on your plate because it is trimmed off prior to serving. It's just used for cooking.

Scott Campbell
05-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Furthermore, most chefs trim the fat of the filet. You will notice a t-bone at most places has more fat left on it, including the filet part. I have worked fine dining and eaten at most of the top steakhouses (G&G, Mortons, Lugers, RC's) in the county, and you never find any fat on the outside of a filet...nothing crispy and charred..mmm, delicious.

The fat in a filet is marbled throughout. And there's plenty of it. I've never seen a chef trim fat off a filet, as they already come properly trimmed from any reputable meat purveyor.

How long did you work at Sizzler?

:razz:

Tyrone Bigguns
05-23-2006, 11:14 PM

The fat in a filet is marbled throughout. And there's plenty of it. I've never seen a chef trim fat off a filet, as they already come properly trimmed from any reputable meat purveyor.

How long did you work at Sizzler?

:razz:

Prime rib isn't fine dining or served at great steakhouses. Prime rib is a fine meal, but you'll never see it served at Charlie Trotters, Lutece, etc. I'll take culpability on that as I said "decent" joint, apparently, for you, a trip to Ponderosa and the unlimited salad bar constitutes a great meal. Bon appetit.

Most quality steakhouses don't buy precut meat. They age it themselves and cut it themselves. And, if you've never see a chef trim a steak or cut the tenderloin into filets or medallions, then I wouldn't be eating at that place (even places like the Texas Cattle Company age and cut their meat, and they are a far cry from great). That isn't a chef, we call them cooks. But, grab your feedbag and enjoy Ryans or Damons, Scott. Bon Appetit.

The filet comes from small end of the tenderloin, found at the back end of the ribcage. This area is non weight bearing, therefore the connective tissue isn't toughened by movement, resulting in tender meat. It ALSO means that it is less flavorful then other cuts that are attached to a bone.

Because of this, you should cook the meat quickly (broiling/grilling) so as to keep what flavor it has. Therefore it shoudn't go past MR to preserve the flavor, keep it tender, and keep it moist (filets over MR get very dry).

The filet is wrapped in bacon (barding) because the filet doesn't have a layer of fat around it. This adds flavor to the filet while also giving it fat to keep it from drying out.

This drying out is the reason you NEVER cut a filet to check its "doneness." Strictly done by touch.

Chefs/people add sauces to a filet because the flavor is mild. Perhaps you enjoy mild food.

The fat is hardly marbled throughout a filet...if it was it wouldn't be a lean cut. Of course there is SOME fat, but it isn't marbled like a prime rib.

You can continue to posture, but the fact remains that a filet is acknowledged as one of the blander cuts of meat and therefore requires cooking techniques to preserve flavor and to add to it.

Lastly, I have never eaten or worked at a Sizzler. They generally weren't around. Though, I did have a strong desire to check them out after "White Men can't Jump."

WE'RE GOING TO SIZZLER.

GrnBay007
05-24-2006, 12:04 AM
I liked that movie "White Men Can't Jump". Just so happens my nephew who looks A LOT like Woody Harrelson was playing college basketball in IL at the time the movie came out. Story has it he called home to Dad and asked, "what's wrong with me dad?" He was one of two white guys on the team. .....and apparently wasn't referring to his jumping skills when asking his dad what was wrong with him.....lol

..........story told several years later after a few cocktails.

Anyway, I think the tenderloin is a pretty lean cut. Maybe not the most?????? ...but up there pretty high.

Deputy Nutz
05-24-2006, 12:17 AM

However, when I don't feel like driving 3 hours or paying $75 for dinner, Texas Road House is just fine. Since they came to GB, Timber Lodge Steak House went out of business about 2 months later. Also, Prime Quarter, which used to be THE place for steak, has also lost a tremendous amount of business.

I have to admit, I was a bit twitchy about ordering a steak at Texas Road House, but I was pleasantly suprised by their Rib Eye. Ver good, nice size, not overly fatty, very juicy. I got the mushrooms and jack cheese on it. I thought I could do without the cheese the next time.

I like Prime Quarter because there is no messing around there. You do your steak your way, and they are big motherfucking steaks. Poor advertising is my guess at why PQ doesn't do better.

Deputy Nutz
05-24-2006, 12:23 AM
I liked that movie "White Men Can't Jump". Just so happens my nephew who looks A LOT like Woody Harrelson was playing college basketball in IL at the time the movie came out. Story has it he called home to Dad and asked, "what's wrong with me dad?" He was one of two white guys on the team. .....and apparently wasn't referring to his jumping skills when asking his dad what was wrong with him.....lol

..........story told several years later after a few cocktails.

Anyway, I think the tenderloin is a pretty lean cut. Maybe not the most?????? ...but up there pretty high.

How did your brother take the news? Did he go to sizzler afterward to sooth the pain?

GrnBay007
05-24-2006, 12:28 AM
How did your brother take the news? Did he go to sizzler afterward to sooth the pain?

I'm not sure how he handled the conversation over the phone at the time. Years later, the night the story was told he had another drink and laughed it off........what's a guy to do at a time like that? :shock:

Deputy Nutz
05-24-2006, 12:33 AM
Wait I just confused myself so I will ask point blank, did your nephew enjoy team showers just a little too much, or was disappointed in his penis size compared to all the black fellows on the team?

Did they go to Sizzler afterwards?

GrnBay007
05-24-2006, 12:43 AM
Wait I just confused myself so I will ask point blank, did your nephew enjoy team showers just a little too much, or was disappointed in his penis size compared to all the black fellows on the team?

Did they go to Sizzler afterwards?

LOL!! why are we talking sizzler's? NO on that one.

Yes, he was apparently talking about his penis size compared to his fellow teammates. Not trying to start a race thread or anything......lol ....just a funny story shared by his brother while consuming alcoholic beverages. (brothers can be so mean!)

MadtownPacker
05-24-2006, 02:08 AM
You guy just change the steak talk to sausage! :mrgreen:

I have never eaten anything rare or even medium rare. Does it taste bloody? Everyone white person I know likes raw meat. Guess it must be the serial killer in you guys.

GBRulz
05-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Since they came to GB, Timber Lodge Steak House went out of business about 2 months later.

Are they still in business by the Fox River Mall?

I'm not much help here, Mike... I never knew of one by the Fox River Mall to begin with!! You're not thinking Outback Steakhouse by chance, are you? I can't think of any other steakhouses near the mall off hand.

Nutz, I think the $4.00 price hike and the fact that TRH is better might be the reason why PQ is falling.

Little Whiskey
05-24-2006, 08:30 AM
I have never eaten anything rare or even medium rare. Does it taste bloody? Everyone white person I know likes raw meat. Guess it must be the serial killer in you guys.

I guess you can't really cook taco meat medium rare. :mrgreen:

Deputy Nutz
05-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Nutz, I think the $4.00 price hike and the fact that TRH is better might be the reason why PQ is falling.

Are you telling me that shit at PQ is now 18.00 Dollars? It was a deal when it was 14.99. I am never going there again.

Little Whiskey
05-24-2006, 09:54 AM
There's some merit to that, though it's getting tougher and tougher to find decent cuts of meat in retail shops. That's the advantage the top tier restaurants have.

very true Scott, you need to go to find a small grocery store that actually still has a butcher and a true meat counter.

pacfan
05-24-2006, 07:59 PM
So Ponderosa's not fine dining????

CyclonePackFan
05-24-2006, 08:12 PM
You guy just change the steak talk to sausage! :mrgreen:

I eat steak to get the power of the soul of the cow, and I do have many dreams about drinking the blood of my enemies... :evil:

Just Kidding! :wink:

I don't go for rare, but the general rule of thumb is to order steak medium rare and burgers medium well (the ground beef is more likely to have a greater number of cysts, etc, stuff that you don't really want alive when you eat it)

My primary reason for ordering medium rare is simple. If it tastes too raw, you can always have them throw it back on for another minute or two. Get it overdone, and you're just a jackass for asking for another steak. However, the medium rare is more tender and has more flavor, it seems like steaks that are above medium have no flavor (and beget the need for A1) and are way too chewy.

MadtownPacker
05-24-2006, 09:09 PM

I guess you can't really cook taco meat medium rare. :mrgreen:

Especially when you dont what the meat is half the time!

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/FOOD/news/07/19/taco.bell.ap/story.taco.ap.jpg

MadtownPacker
05-24-2006, 09:19 PM
I eat steak to get the power of the soul of the cow, and I do have many dreams about drinking the blood of my enemies... :evil:

I don't go for rare, but the general rule of thumb is to order steak medium rare and burgers medium well (the ground beef is more likely to have a greater number of cysts, etc, stuff that you don't really want alive when you eat it)

My primary reason for ordering medium rare is simple. If it tastes too raw, you can always have them throw it back on for another minute or two. Get it overdone, and you're just a jackass for asking for another steak. However, the medium rare is more tender and has more flavor, it seems like steaks that are above medium have no flavor (and beget the need for A1) and are way too chewy.Yup, serial killer for sure.

I would like to try it but man, it looks so damn bloody. With all this ecoli and madtowncow disease going on I guess I am just paranoid. It is also a culture thing I guess cuz I dont recall any Mexican dishes using raw or nearly raw beef.

What kind of steaks do you guys recommmend for trying to practice with on the grill? I dont wanna buy the $$$ cuts just to mess them up. Im kinda still learning to grill stuff.

Does anyone use one of these? Its what I have. It cooks real slow. Any tips or recipes are appreciated.

http://www.barbecue-grill-guide.com/Images/250x400/Brinkmann_Smoke__39_N_Pit_Pitmaster_Deluxe_Charcoa l_Wood_Smoker_and_Grill_Smoker_Grill.jpg

MJZiggy
05-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Don't know too much about grilling beef but here is the one thing I've learned in the last couple of years: buy the best cut of meat you can get because if you don't it is far more likely to be tough. Also remember that as the meat cooks, the blood cooks as well and changes to more like juices than typical blood. Perhaps it would be worth it to try it in a restaurant first where there will be no "rookie mistakes."

GrnBay007
05-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Does anyone use one of these? Its what I have. It cooks real slow.

http://www.barbecue-grill-guide.com/Images/250x400/Brinkmann_Smoke__39_N_Pit_Pitmaster_Deluxe_Charcoa l_Wood_Smoker_and_Grill_Smoker_Grill.jpg

It's called a grill hun :razz:

j/k :twisted:

Maybe try some ribeyes to start. I wouldn't start with anything too thick though.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-25-2006, 12:11 AM

My primary reason for ordering medium rare is simple. If it tastes too raw, you can always have them throw it back on for another minute or two. Get it overdone, and you're just a jackass for asking for another steak. However, the medium rare is more tender and has more flavor, it seems like steaks that are above medium have no flavor (and beget the need for A1) and are way too chewy.Yup, serial killer for sure.

I would like to try it but man, it looks so damn bloody. With all this ecoli and madtowncow disease going on I guess I am just paranoid. It is also a culture thing I guess cuz I dont recall any Mexican dishes using raw or nearly raw beef.

What kind of steaks do you guys recommmend for trying to practice with on the grill? I dont wanna buy the $$$ cuts just to mess them up. Im kinda still learning to grill stuff.

Does anyone use one of these? Its what I have. It cooks real slow. Any tips or recipes are appreciated.

I would suggest you start at something reasonable like medium, with it shading more to the medium well than medium rare. I think most people like their steaks medium. Fewer MR and even less rare. I occasionally order it rare or sometimes BLACK & BLUE/Pittsburgh style.

I definitely think there is something cultural about the way people like their meat cooked. Probably has to do with the fact that for most people, steak wasn't something they ate to often. Only in America do we eat beef like others eat rice or some other carb.

When I waited tables, every black couple that ordered a steak ordered it well done. And, before anybody freaks out, I'm just using my experience, not implying all. I could care less how they ordered it...as long as they tipped well. :cool:

Another thing I noticed was that black guys would always order expensive cognac and mix it with coke. Why ruin good liquor by mixing it with coke? But, like I said, run up the tab and leave me good tip.

Little Whiskey
05-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Mad, I agree with Tyronne, but keep it closer to the Medium range. just because you take it off the grill doesn't mean the steak stops cooking. I also agree with 007, get a good piece of meat off a meat counter. better ingrediants lead to better results.

at least you didn't say all you had was:

http://www.products-as-seen-on-tv-store.com/images/kitchen/GformanGrill.jpg

Deputy Nutz
05-25-2006, 09:08 AM
My in laws literally like th burn everything to a fucking crisp. I won't eat anything off their grill unless I am the one cooking it. Hay, if they want their meat to taste and eat like a hockey puck thats their own poor taste, not mine. I have always eaten medium to medium rare steak and meat,

Little Whiskey
05-25-2006, 09:14 AM
what is the opinion on pork?? not sausage, but loins, chops etc. little pink okay?? or cooked till its all white??

MadtownPacker
05-25-2006, 09:20 AM
what is the opinion on pork?? not sausage, but loins, chops etc. little pink okay?? or cooked till its all white??
Put in some water, cut the end of an electric cord of and stick it in the water. Then enjoy the show as all the lil parasites try to escape the frying meat!

GrnBay007
05-25-2006, 09:22 AM
For me, pork, chicken and turkey HAVE to be cooked completely through.

MJZiggy
05-25-2006, 09:29 AM

This is what meat thermometers were invented for. I believe ever so slightly pink is ok, but use a thermometer to make sure it's cooked hot enought to kill any little critters that might have come along for the ride.

Sparkey
05-25-2006, 10:53 AM

Best cut to "practice" on is a top sirloin, in my opinion. They are thinner cuts with some marbeling, but not excessive.

Take a meat tenderizer (the mallet not the powder) and use the wide edge to beat it and breakdown the fibers a bit. Don't hit it like your trying to mince it, just "loosen it up" a bit.

Then in one of those super large ziplock bag, mix together extra virgin olive oil, kansas city steak seasoning and one or two cap fulls of teriyaki. Mix just enough that all the steaks cut coated.

Throw the steaks in with the marinade and zip up, shake it so all sides are coated and put in the fridge for an hour, mixing the bag again at 1/2 hour.

Now, the key. Make sure the fire is the right temp. TOO HOT and it will torch the meat and not hot enough will take forever too cook and dry the meat out.

BTW, GROVE charcoal is the best but it BURNS VERY HOT, so you dont need a lot.

After the fire is ready, glowing red coals, get your bags, mix up one more time and lay the steaks on the grill. After a minute, use tongs to lift then lay down again. DO NOT FLIP. This helps keep them from sticking.

You should only flip a steak once! AFter flipped, the meat will be close to done when the blood starts to escape the seared top.

Like someone else said, the meat is still cooking when you pull it off the grill so if you like M, then pull it when it looks MR as it will be M by them time you get it too the table.

BTW, a great side is foil potatoes:

Lay down a double sheet of foil, throw a gob of butter on the bottom, then put diced potatoes and carrots, sliced onion and cherry tomatoes. Season with a three pepper Lowry's seasoning, throw another gob of butter, then fold up the long sides and crimp at the top. Now fold up the ends so that the veggies are in a foil carry bag. Lay them on the grill and dont flip. You can use tongs to grap the foil handles at each end. Make sure the foil is sealed good. THe steam cooks the food. Takes about 1/2 hour to cook.

GREAT STUFF

PS: Open fire, oak wood is the only way to grill.

MadtownPacker
05-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks Sparkey. I will try that. I want to learn how to cook myself so I can further prove that men only need women for one thing. :razz:

I was gonna ask about marinated. I like the sound of mix you mentioned. Is that Grove charcoal only in WI?

Sparkey
05-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks Sparkey. I will try that. I want to learn how to cook myself so I can further prove that men only need women for one thing. :razz:

I was gonna ask about marinated. I like the sound of mix you mentioned. Is that Grove charcoal only in WI?

I think so. I do believe Piggly Wiggly carries it. BTW, Grove charcoal is made in Cedar Grove and it is all hard wood.

As far as the marinade. How much depends on how many steaks. Usually about a 1/4 cup of olive oil, two tabelspoons of Kansas City seaosning and two teaspoons of teriyaki. (Any good soy sauce will work)

MadtownPacker
05-25-2006, 11:51 AM
I think so. I do believe Piggly Wiggly carries it. BTW, Grove charcoal is made in Cedar Grove and it is all hard wood.

As far as the marinade. How much depends on how many steaks. Usually about a 1/4 cup of olive oil, two tabelspoons of Kansas City seaosning and two teaspoons of teriyaki. (Any good soy sauce will work)
Guess Im SOL on the coal cuz Im in Cali.

Badgepack
05-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Beings we are talking grillling
Try this out sometime

BULGOGI:

Get a couple of nice rib eyes and slcie into thin strips
marinade in bulgogi mixture a good couple hours and grill
Note; by the time you lay all the strips out, start turning the firts ones layed down, it cooks in minutes)

marinade

2 1/2 tbsp. sugar
4 tbsp. minced green onion
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. minced ginger root
2 tbsp. ground sesame seed
Dash of pepper
4 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. sesame seed oil

GrnBay007
05-25-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't know much about marinade ....only used a package type a few times, but I always thought vinegar was a key ingredient in a marinade to tenderize the meat? Am I dreaming this or is that true?

GBRulz
05-25-2006, 12:13 PM
for steaks on the grill, I highly recommend a marinade by jack Daniels. It's in a bag, it's called EZ-Marinader, you'll find it by all your marinades at the store. It is the BEST stuff i've ever used for marinading.

For whatever reason, it's been pulled from the shelves at our local grocery stores and when asked why, they said it wasn't selling well. Which is BS because I know everyone that tried that, swears by it. So now, I have a friend from Milwaukee get it down there and ship it to me.

GBRulz
05-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Does anyone use one of these? Its what I have. It cooks real slow.

It's called a grill hun :razz:

LOLOLOL :lol:

Deputy Nutz
05-25-2006, 01:57 PM
IF you have anything a cut about a top serloin I suggest leaving the marinade alone. Some like to use Teryaki for Filets, and that is understandable consideder Tenderloin can have zero taste if it ain't angus.

But Ribeyes and porterhouses are too damn good by themselves to be sticking in a bag full of vinager and catsup.

I do like to sprinkle any steak with fresh peppercorn and sea salt.

Little Whiskey
05-25-2006, 01:59 PM
here is how i do steaks. very simple yet damn good. again go with quality meat. i found that Sam's club has a good selection of choice steaks.

season with lowry's, garlic salt, and pepper.

spark, i usually flip them twice, to get those nice lines. i usually try to error towards the hot side of the grill, just watch them close. with a hot grill you will sear the meat and "lock" in the juice. another trick i use, once you take them off the grill wrap them tight in tin foil asap and let them mellow for a minute. this causes the steaks to suck the juices back to the center.

MJZiggy
05-25-2006, 02:01 PM
I don't know much about marinade ....only used a package type a few times, but I always thought vinegar was a key ingredient in a marinade to tenderize the meat? Am I dreaming this or is that true?

I thought that too, but what do I know about grilling??

Badgepack
05-25-2006, 02:15 PM
The marindade I mentioned for bulgogi is for flavor only. It's a Korean dish, just something different to try. Everyone that I grilled it for has loved it.

Sparkey
05-25-2006, 02:16 PM
here is how i do steaks. very simple yet damn good. again go with quality meat. i found that Sam's club has a good selection of choice steaks.

season with lowry's, garlic salt, and pepper.

spark, i usually flip them twice, to get those nice lines. i usually try to error towards the hot side of the grill, just watch them close. with a hot grill you will sear the meat and "lock" in the juice. another trick i use, once you take them off the grill wrap them tight in tin foil asap and let them mellow for a minute. this causes the steaks to suck the juices back to the center.

LW,

I have also done the above, garlic salt, lowry's (try the three pepper blend, very good) and of course freshly ground peppercorn.

Ya know, I used to cook by following this routine:

1. PLace steaks on grill
2. crack open a beer
3. season too taste
4. drink beer
5. Flip steak when first can is empty
6. Open second beer
7. season lightly
8. Pull steaks when half down with beer

LOL, used to work too a T, but I dont drink beer anymore and if I tried that with a gimlet, well..........lol I might lose track of the steak.

GrnBay007
05-25-2006, 02:24 PM
LOL, used to work too a T, but I dont drink beer anymore and if I tried that with a gimlet, well..........lol I might lose track of the steak.

Damn alcohol!! NO consideration or respect for the grill at all!! :razz:

gimlets.........vodka or gin?

Sparkey
05-25-2006, 03:12 PM

Damn alcohol!! NO consideration or respect for the grill at all!! :razz:

gimlets.........vodka or gin?

Vodka, .....Grey Goose, Stolichnaya or preferably Iceberg.

Iron Mike
05-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Open fire, oak wood is the only way to grill.

No, no Sparkey.......if you can get a hold of some apple wood, you'll change your tune. I guar-onnnn-tee it!!!

http://www.tvacres.com/images/justin_wilson.jpg

Mazzin
05-25-2006, 07:58 PM
GREY GOOSE ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!

http://www.cornichon.org/archives/Grey%20Goose%20lineup.jpg

Tyrone Bigguns
05-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Beings we are talking grillling
Try this out sometime

BULGOGI:

Get a couple of nice rib eyes and slcie into thin strips
marinade in bulgogi mixture a good couple hours and grill
Note; by the time you lay all the strips out, start turning the firts ones layed down, it cooks in minutes)

marinade

2 1/2 tbsp. sugar
4 tbsp. minced green onion
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. minced ginger root
2 tbsp. ground sesame seed
Dash of pepper
4 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. sesame seed oil

Badge, if you are going to call it Bulgogi..then finish it off. The meat needs to be wrapped in thin bread, or if non-traditional go with tortillas or lettuce. Most people in this country use the lettuce and add rice as well.

And, don't forget the dipping sauce.

BTW, for anyone trying this recipe, make sure you watch the meat closely as there is sugar in the marinade. Best results are quick and fast on the grill.

Well, badge, we may not agree on the pack, but music and food we are in agreement.

Badgepack
05-26-2006, 08:26 AM
I just serve it as a the meat portion of the meal along with potatoe, salad, veggie, beer/wine, ect...

Partial
05-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Mazzin, I didn't think you were old enough to drink?

Deputy Nutz
05-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Last night I made a nice little meal of center cut lamb chops, and a salmon fillet on the grill.

I make a glaze for the salmon, that is simple but damn tasty.
2 parts brown sugar
1 part soy sauce,
1 part brown or asian mustard.

Make the glaze into a past, not to thin otherwise it will run off the fish. For a spicier glaze add more mustard.

I just salted and peppered the chops, it was the first time I have done those, and I over cooked them a bit. I thought they were good, but they need to be more medium rare, than medium for a better taste. Anyone know of a good spice or rub for lamb chops?

Little Whiskey
05-26-2006, 10:35 AM
nutz, what is your trick to cooking the salmon on the grill? tin foil underneath? or do you leave the skin on? or something else.

Deputy Nutz
05-26-2006, 10:48 AM
nutz, what is your trick to cooking the salmon on the grill? tin foil underneath? or do you leave the skin on? or something else.

You can leave the skin on, most people do that, but my wife doesn't like it so I take it off. I use that glaze when I grill salmon and it makes easy to flip the salmon without it sticking. Cook it at about medium temperature, or full heat if you don't mind it a little charred on the outside and a little undercooked on the inside. I don't use foil. Don't leave the filets on for more than 12 minutes, otherwise they will burn and then you have a stinky grill. Don't flip the filets or move them around more than once, that is how they crumble.

Little Whiskey
05-26-2006, 11:16 AM
thanks for the tip nutz, i might try it this weekend

MJZiggy
05-26-2006, 12:34 PM

You can leave the skin on, most people do that, but my wife doesn't like it so I take it off. I use that glaze when I grill salmon and it makes easy to flip the salmon without it sticking. Cook it at about medium temperature, or full heat if you don't mind it a little charred on the outside and a little undercooked on the inside. I don't use foil. Don't leave the filets on for more than 12 minutes, otherwise they will burn and then you have a stinky grill. Don't flip the filets or move them around more than once, that is how they crumble.

There are also gadgets you can buy, one is a cage with a handle on it that you put the fish in and then flip the whole cage, the other that I just ordered is a grilling stone--same concept as a pizza stone but meant to go in the grill, handle the heat and washes with soap.

Guiness
05-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Where do you start?

This is supposed to be classy dishes - go upscale and call it steak tartar 8-)

Just use the old saying - "wipe its ass, knock off the horns and bring it out!"

Guiness
05-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Mazzin, I didn't think you were old enough to drink?

Mmm. And I know I never drank underage
*glances up at rumbling thunder, and gets ready to dodge lightning*

granted though, underage drinking was usually about what kind of hooch you could get your paws on, not worrying about good stuff. Spumonte Bambino is good stuff though, isn't it?

MJZiggy
05-26-2006, 12:54 PM
I had a wonderful chicken saltambocca this weekend, anyone have any good recipes for the coating on the chicken actually any good marsala wine sauce/glaze would be good. I know what I'm having for dinner. Just gotta run out and get some prosciutto.

Packers4Ever
05-28-2006, 08:52 PM

GBMichele, Texas Roadhouse just opened in West Bend about 2 months ago. They open at 4 PM, at least on weekdays. If you're screaming starved you better be there way early or they'll already be filled, or no parking spots left, or both. Way good food and watching the gals line dance is fun too!

Jude

Badgepack
05-29-2006, 11:06 PM

Damn, had the vino bianco tonight, best meal I ever made.

Thanks for the tip.

MJZiggy
05-30-2006, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the tip.

Did I miss a recipe? I need something for dinner tonight!

Iron Mike
05-30-2006, 07:30 AM
Last night I made a nice little meal of center cut lamb chops, and a salmon fillet on the grill. Anyone know of a good spice or rub for lamb chops?

Make this instead:

Shashlik
Yield: 6 Servings

4 lb boneless lamb shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into 2-inch cubes
4 sm onions, root ends attached cut into eighths
1 lb cherry tomatoes
2 yellow or red bell peppers cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch squares
fresh rosemary sprigs, for garnish

2/3 c olive oil
1/2 c lemon juice
1/2 c dry red wine or sherry
2 To 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary or 1 T dried
1/2 sm onion, finely chopped or grated
4 To 6 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 ts Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 ts red pepper flakes (optional)

In a large, shallow non-metallic baking dish, combine marinade
ingredients, stirring until well blended and creamy. Add lamb
cubes and stir around until well coated. Cover and refrigerate 6
yours or overnight, stirring occasionally.

Position barbecue rack about 5 inches above preheated coals. Thread
lamb cubes onto metal skewers, leaving a small space between cubes
so meat cooks evenly. Thread onion pieces, cherry tomatoes, and
pepper squares onto separate skewers, brush with some remaining
marinade.

Arrange lamb skewers over center of coals and cook turning and
basting with marinade occasionally, 17-20 minutes. Halfway through
cooking time, add vegetable skewers to barbecue and cook, turning
and basting with marinade, 8-10 minutes.

Arrange skewers on long serving platter and surround with fresh
sprigs of rosemary. Serve with rice, salads, or other accompaniments.

Badgepack
05-30-2006, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the tip.

Chicken Vino Bianco

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
salt and pepper
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup canned tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
cooked pasta, optional
Directions:
Heat oil in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken strips with salt and pepper and brown strips in hot oil Remove to a plate. Stir in onions and garlic and cook until tender; then stir in mushrooms and cook until golden. Stir in wine and bring to simmer. Stir in tomatoes and return to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper and return chicken to pan; cook over medium heat until sauce begins to thicken. Finish sauce with cream and parsley. Serve warm over pasta of your choice.

MJZiggy
05-30-2006, 09:07 AM
I will be using both of those recipes (just not both tonite) The lamb sounds like a great dish for company.

GrnBay007
05-30-2006, 09:10 AM
I can't bring myself to eat lamb or veal. Poor lil things.

Little Whiskey
05-30-2006, 10:46 AM
007, ever been to a slaughter house?? none of them "poor lil things" are having a good day. whether they are lambs, calves, cows, pigs, or chickens.

GrnBay007
05-30-2006, 11:12 AM
007, ever been to a slaughter house?? none of them "poor lil things" are having a good day. whether they are lambs, calves, cows, pigs, or chickens.

Nope, never been to a slaughter house.....would probably be a vegetarian if I made that visit.
BUT, many years ago when I played "Green Acres" for a few years :razz: I used to bottle feed the adorable lil calves. I guess that image has an impact. It was fun....you really get attached.

MJZiggy
05-30-2006, 11:16 AM
I've heard the things that the larger meat companies do to the calves is quite drastic compared to what the little critters experience when they're not pegged for veal.

GrnBay007
05-30-2006, 11:21 AM
I've heard the things that the larger meat companies do to the calves is quite drastic compared to what the little critters experience when they're not pegged for veal.

Yep. :sad: I saw a documentary on that subject a couple years ago.....very sad. I will never eat veal. I don't know if the same applies to lamb....but would have to assume it's similar. What they do to the animal to make sure the meat is tender and the proper color is just sick.

MJZiggy
05-30-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm not even the one in the family that likes lamb, but I do live in an area where you can drive around and see sheep farms and I do see the lambs running around and now that I'm picturing them I wonder if that recipe will work with turkey.

GrnBay007
05-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Use the turkey thats lived a long full life. :D

MJZiggy
05-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Marinated tofu cubes? :razz:

Packers4Ever
05-30-2006, 08:11 PM

I thought that too, but what do I know about grilling??

For flavor too, MJZ. I pre-cooked/simmered 5 boneless chicken breasts yesterday and marinated them in Caesar salad dressing (ordinary bottled creamy style) before grilling. Italian dressing w/vinegar would have been good too. 'Course didn't take much grilling time being they were pre-cooked and you don't want them to dry out either. Could also have added some dry herbs too. It's fun to mess around and see what ideas you can come up with.

Jude

Packers4Ever
05-30-2006, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the tip.

Chicken Vino Bianco

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup heavy cream
cooked pasta, optional
Directions:
Heat oil in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken strips with salt and pepper and brown strips in hot oil Remove to a plate. Stir in onions and garlic and cook until tender; then stir in mushrooms and cook until golden. Stir in wine and bring to simmer. Stir in tomatoes and return to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper and return chicken to pan; cook over medium heat until sauce begins to thicken. Finish sauce with cream and parsley. Serve warm over pasta of your choice.

Oooooooh I missed this one, the vino bianco, sounds wonderful! Thanks Badgepack, that's dinner for Thursday night! :smile:

Jude

GBRulz
05-30-2006, 08:23 PM
GBMichele, Texas Roadhouse just opened in West Bend about 2 months ago. They open at 4 PM, at least on weekdays. If you're screaming starved you better be there way early or they'll already be filled, or no parking spots left, or both. Way good food and watching the gals line dance is fun too!________________________

No doubt about waiting at TRH. They have call ahead seating, which we always do. Not exactly a reservation, but it gets your name on the 90 minute waiting list at least!

GBRulz
05-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Has anyone ever put lobsters or crab legs on the grill? how do you make sure they don't dry out? Or do you just soak them in water and kind of let them steam cook themselves (they are all still in the shells) on the grill?

MJZiggy
05-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Ooohhh that sounds good. I've done the italian before, but try this: mix 2 tsp dijon mustard, 2 tsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp thyme.

Salt and pepper 3 or 4 chicken breasts, brush all over with mixture then pat with shredded parmesan cheese so that the cheese sticks. This is an oven recipe which calls for 475 degrees for 15 minutes. Not sure how it translates to the grill, but the coating sure is good.

GrnBay007
05-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Ooohhh that sounds good. I've done the italian before, but try this: mix 2 tsp dijon mustard, 2 tsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp thyme.

Salt and pepper 3 or 4 chicken breasts, brush all over with mixture then pat with shredded parmesan cheese so that the cheese sticks. This is an oven recipe which calls for 475 degrees for 15 minutes. Not sure how it translates to the grill, but the coating sure is good.

zig, is that for a smaller breast that it only takes 15 min. to cook? That seems like a short amount of cooking time for a chicken breast.

skin on or off?

GBRulz
05-30-2006, 08:33 PM
it seems like a high temp to cook chicken on too. I would consider doing about 45 minutes at 350-375

MJZiggy
05-30-2006, 08:34 PM
Skin off. I think it cooks so quickly because of the high temperature. I am paranoid about my poultry and pork, and I've never had a problem with it, but use a meat thermometer to be certain.

MJZiggy
05-30-2006, 08:44 PM
it seems like a high temp to cook chicken on too. I would consider doing about 45 minutes at 350-375

If you do that, the glaze doesn't crisp up right and it will run off the chicken. Try it and put a thermometer in it to test it. I had my doubts first time I tried it, but a friend gave me the recipe and she's a really good cook, so I gave it a shot and the chicken was done right on time. Also, her instructions say to cook it on the top shelf.

My MIL gave me salmon cooking instructions that were similar and got the fish done in a couple of minutes with no fuss getting the skin off..

Packers4Ever
05-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Skin off. I think it cooks so quickly because of the high temperature. I am paranoid about my poultry and pork, and I've never had a problem with it, but use a meat thermometer to be certain.

I'm the same with poultry and pork. Another way to make sure you're ok is cut through a chicken breast in thickest part. It should be white. Any pink, back in the oven and check it again in 5 minutes, etc... HTH.

Jude

GBRulz
05-30-2006, 08:51 PM
that makes sense, Zig.

yes, I do the knife test with brats as well. Biting into an uncooked brat is the most disgusting thing...

Little Whiskey
05-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Has anyone ever put lobsters or crab legs on the grill? how do you make sure they don't dry out? Or do you just soak them in water and kind of let them steam cook themselves (they are all still in the shells) on the grill?

whole and live?? why would you put them on the grill. unless your using your grill to heat the boiling pot.

007, zig. think those calves and lambs have tough. those lobsters and crabs are boiled alive!!! ahh but they taste so good slathered in butter!!

GBRulz
05-30-2006, 09:09 PM
I will not boil a lobster alive!! I buy them dead specifically for that reason!!

I got the idea from watching some infomercial on Weber grills. They showed someone cooking lobsters and crab legs on the grill and they looked really tasty! But they weren't wrapped in anything, so I'm wondering how they didn't dry out.

www.webernation.com

chain_gang
05-30-2006, 09:15 PM
I only buy live lobster and cook them in the good ole' boiling pot. I don't like to hear the scream though, so you put them in the freezer for about 20 minutes. It puts them into some sort of trance or coma, and they don't scream. I never cooked them on the grill but if there's a recipe what the hell it'd be worth a shot.

Little Whiskey
05-30-2006, 09:49 PM
I've cooked quite a few live lobsters and have never heard them "scream". maybe i put the lid on too fast, but they have never made a sound until i crunch thru the shell.

GMB, we are on the top of the food chain for a reason!!!

chain_gang
05-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Well they don't really scream, but when you put them live into the boiling water usually they let out a whistling noise, which I think is from the air coming out of the shell when the shell expands due to the heat. However, freezing them eliminates all of the above, it's more humane and eliminates that scream/whistle.

Little Whiskey
05-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Well they don't really scream, but when you put them live into the boiling water usually they let out a whistling noise, which I think is from the air coming out of the shell when the shell expands due to the heat. However, freezing them eliminates all of the above, it's more humane and eliminates that scream/whistle.

naaa they don't feel anything. once they hit the boiling water they go peacefully, and painlessly. :wink:

MJZiggy
06-09-2006, 07:37 PM
This thread needed to come back...BUMP!!

Anyone got any good sauce recipes? Something, perhaps that won't clog my arteries?

Will be using the Chicken Bianco recipe this weekend. I can't wait.

retailguy
06-09-2006, 08:24 PM
I only buy live lobster and cook them in the good ole' boiling pot. I don't like to hear the scream though, so you put them in the freezer for about 20 minutes. It puts them into some sort of trance or coma, and they don't scream. I never cooked them on the grill but if there's a recipe what the hell it'd be worth a shot.

You can eliminate this by putting them into the pot before the water boils. If you heat the water as you heat the lobster they don't make any noise whatsoever....

Hope that helps.

Packers4Ever
06-09-2006, 08:27 PM

Anyone got any good sauce recipes? Something, perhaps that won't clog my arteries?

What are you looking for, Zig? Like an Alfredo for fettuccini?

Thanks for finding this and bringing it back.

Jude

retailguy
06-09-2006, 08:30 PM

How about a good dry meat seasoning?

This works great for steak on the grill - If you truly "enjoy" the taste of the beef and aren't looking to "cover it up", this works great.

1 tbl Salt
1 teaspoon Black or White Pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic Salt

This should adequately season 3 to 3 1/2 lbs of meat. While shaking it on, it will seem like a lot, trust me, it'll be OK.

Let sit for 20 - 45 minutes then put on a flaming hot grill. Cook to desired temperature and enjoy. DON'T RE-SEASON AGAIN WITH SALT/PEPPER ON THE TABLE! You'd think this would be obvious, but....:lol:

There is also a salsa recipe that goes with this if you're interested. I'd have to dig that up somewhere. Like I said, I like the taste of the beef, so I don't use it.

MJZiggy
06-09-2006, 08:38 PM

Jude

If you have an alfredo sauce that isn't considered a heart attack on a plate, I'd love to hear it. Was thinking of something to put over pasta or with rice as a nice side dish. Is there a sauce for primavera?

Iron Mike
06-09-2006, 08:40 PM
MMMMMMM.....in a few weeks we'll have fresh strawberries here:

Strawberry & Spinach Salad Recipe. Beware! If you do not want to be known for a salad stay away from this recipe. The salad has a great balance of flavors and it looks and tastes great.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients

oil 1/2 cup
white distilled vinegar 2 tbsps
cider vinegar 2 tbsps
honey 2 tbsps
dry mustard 1/4 tsp
Tabasco Sauce 1/4 tsp
poppy seed 2 tbsps toasted
spinach 2 lbs bunches - washed well, stems removed, and chopped
Belgian endive 2 heads - washed and chopped
strawberry 1 cup stemmed removed, washed, and sliced
button mushroom 1/2 lb cleaned and sliced
crouton 1 cup
almonds - sliced 1/4 cup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Directions
In a small bowl combine the oil, white distilled vinegar, cider vinegar, honey, dry mustard, Tabasco Sauce, and poppy seed.

Whisk the ingredients together and allow it to sit at room temperature for 1 hour.

In a salad bowl combine the spinach, Belgian endive, sliced strawberries, chopped button mushrooms, croutons, and sliced almonds.

Add your salad dressing and toss your salad.

Let the salad sit for 5 minutes and serve.

Iron Mike
06-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Was thinking of something to put over pasta or with rice as a nice side dish.

Try this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_25589,00.html

You could also buy store-bought vodka sauce and add it to some penne, shake some parmesan/romano on it and add some fresh parsley, IMHO. :cool:

Packers4Ever
06-09-2006, 08:47 PM

Jude

If you have an alfredo sauce that isn't considered a heart attack on a plate, I'd love to hear it. Was thinking of something to put over pasta or with rice as a nice side dish. Is there a sauce for primavera?

Let me check on this, that shouldn't be too difficult.

Jude

Little Whiskey
06-10-2006, 09:14 AM
MMMMMMM.....in a few weeks we'll have fresh strawberries here:

mike our strawberries are already in, and damn this years crop is mighty tasty. they definatly kick the crap out of the imported ones from california. sorry mad, but Cali strawberries just don't compare. too hard and not nearly as sweet.

Travbrew
06-10-2006, 12:43 PM
that makes sense, Zig.

yes, I do the knife test with brats as well. Biting into an uncooked brat is the most disgusting thing...

We had brats at an office picninc and our cook couldn't control the flame (too high). One guy ate a VERY undercooked brat. He said he thought it was a salsa dog??? He didn't realize it wasn't cooked enough until someone else bit into one and freaked out. Anyone heard of a salsa dog? I guess those are like the cheese filled hot dogs

Packers4Ever
06-10-2006, 01:04 PM

Found this, Zig, maybe something for the Primavera sauce. Has to be one

or more there that are kind to the heart and they all sound good.

http://www.theveggietable.com/recipes/sauces.html

Patler
06-10-2006, 02:25 PM

Sorry, you can't have it both ways! Pick one or the other! :D

MJZiggy
06-10-2006, 05:14 PM

Patrock, please refer to Packers4ever's last post. :mrgreen: That is a great list. I'd like to try the tahini sauce as soon as I figure out what a tahini is! But the sqash sauce looks intriguing. It's a use for squash I hadn't thought of.

GrnBay007
06-10-2006, 05:28 PM
How's your garden coming along zig?

MJZiggy
06-10-2006, 07:01 PM
My Romas are not looking particularly well, but the cherry tomatoes have green fruit on them. All of my peppers are looking good (kebabs here we come) The broccoli is coming along nicely and is currently in bloom, the cantaloupe is growing, but the pumpkin plant (I only planted one) is putting everything else to shame. I was too late with my peas (I didn't know you're supposed to plant them when it's really cold) so I will put some in at the end of the season after the cantaloupe is completely harvested.

In other words, Oh fine! I need to find a better selection of nursery plants and seeds.

Little Whiskey
06-10-2006, 07:28 PM
zig, have you had the chicken vino yet? here is a great idea if you have left overs as we did. My wife put them in the pizza she made tonight. instead of tomato sauce she used pesto. there isn't leftovers anymore. mighty good pizza!

MJZiggy
06-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Tomorrow night. The recipe sits on my kitchen counter right at this moment. The pizza idea sounds like it would be a big hit. I just have to lie about what the mushrooms are. Ya think he'd buy little bits of cheese?

Little Whiskey
06-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Tomorrow night. The recipe sits on my kitchen counter right at this moment. The pizza idea sounds like it would be a big hit. I just have to lie about what the mushrooms are. Ya think he'd buy little bits of cheese?

your men don't like mushrooms?? what are they communist? :mrgreen:

tell them to buck up and eat them like men!!

MJZiggy
06-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Kids. Kids and mushrooms (in my experience) are rarely a happy combination--especially after they learn what fungus is.

Packers4Ever
06-10-2006, 08:05 PM

Patrock, please refer to Packers4ever's last post. :mrgreen: That is a great list. I'd like to try the tahini sauce as soon as I figure out what a tahini is! But the sqash sauce looks intriguing. It's a use for squash I hadn't thought of.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hahaha, yes she can, Sham or Pat, whichever your name is, she da cook an' it's her call !!! :lol:

Little Whiskey
06-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Kids. Kids and mushrooms (in my experience) are rarely a happy combination--especially after they learn what fungus is.

HAHA! thats true my son, even though he is only 1 won't eat mushrooms. maybe if you cut them up very small they won't notice. tell them it is pieces of meat. (boy is it okay to lie to your kids to get them to eat things?) :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
06-11-2006, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the tip.

Chicken Vino Bianco

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup heavy cream
cooked pasta, optional
Directions:

Wow that was good.

Packers4Ever
06-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Zig, I was hoping you'd post the chicken recipe for us, it sounds

marvelous and I'll hit the store with my shopping list tomorrow!

Many thanks!

J

MJZiggy
06-12-2006, 06:17 AM
Thanks to Badgepack for sharing it in the first place.

Badgepack
06-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Your welcome,

Thanks to Partial for the recommendation.

Packers4Ever
06-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Your welcome,

Thanks to Partial for the recommendation.

Whoa! Missed you, Badgepack, big thanks to you and also to Partial for this fine recipe, you guys are all the best! :D

MJZiggy
06-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Making steaks. Any ideas for the other half of the mushrooms? Otherwise I will invent something and let you know later if it works.

Partial
06-12-2006, 10:59 PM
chicken vino bianco is a bad ass meal. So good!

MJZiggy
06-13-2006, 06:50 AM
Then try this. The day after you make it, grill a filet mignon. Take the leftovers from the bianco and do the recipe almost the same (without the chicken and without measuring so carefully). Cook the garlic and some onion, then toss in some tomato and mushroom, pour in some wine, cream, and parsley. It has an amazing flavor to go with the steak and only takes a couple of minutes to prepare. Serve with a side of wild rice and vegetable (we had peas). It was wonderful.

Little Whiskey
06-13-2006, 08:18 AM
Making steaks. Any ideas for the other half of the mushrooms? Otherwise I will invent something and let you know later if it works.

zig, i like the flavor of mushrooms. i usually just saute them in butter with a few onions. pretty simple.

Deputy Nutz
06-13-2006, 08:26 AM
Speaking of mushrooms, my inlaws own some land in Murrel country. I had my first taste of Murrell mushrooms this spring and they were out of this world good. No wonder why they sell for for 15 dollars a pound.

Little Whiskey
06-13-2006, 08:55 AM
i've never had murrels before, but this spring as we were doing some yard work at the new house we found 12 growing through out the yard. I was a little uneasy eating something that i plucked out of my bushes, but the old guy next door gladly excepted them and would gladly take any others that we came across. maybe next year (i've heard they always grow back in the same spots) i might give them a whirl.

Deputy Nutz
06-13-2006, 08:58 AM
You fool. You don't give something like that away. Look for them by dead elm trees. after a moist warm day in late April or early May.

Cook them like you would any other mushroom.

Little Whiskey
06-13-2006, 09:10 AM
You fool. You don't give something like that away. Look for them by dead elm trees. after a moist warm day in late April or early May.

i've been called a lot worse!! :mrgreen: but didn't your momma ever tell you not to eat the mushrooms that you found gowing in the yard?? i was just following her advice

Deputy Nutz
06-13-2006, 09:11 AM
I like to find the ones that are grown in manure!!! :shock:

MJZiggy
06-16-2006, 11:46 AM
OK, now that I've had a wonderful week of cream sauces, crabs and steaks, I'm in food repentance. Anyone got any healthy ideas? (that the kids might eat too?--I know this part's a lot to ask for)

MJZiggy
06-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Ok, so no one eats healthy around here. :razz: Anyone know how to make potatoes crispy for hash? I invented a recipe that would be great if I could keep the potatoes from getting mushy.

Badgepack
03-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Better than the chicken vino bianco.

6 boneless chicken breasts
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup flour
teaspoon kosher salt
teaspoon grounded black pepper

cover chicken breast in plastic wrap and pound it flat
mix other stuff in shallow dish
dredge both sides of chicken in mixture and cook in skillet with olive oil at medium high heat for 4 minutes per side. Set aside and keep warm.

For the marinade sauce

3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
3 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
teaspoon of kosher salt and teaspoon pepper
pinch of oregano

saute onions in olive oil for 2 minutes
stir in broth and vinegar and cook 1 minute or so
add tomatoes, salt, pepper, and oregano
cook another minute or so
serve over chicken

MJZiggy
03-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Good God, is that possible???? :shock:

Partial
04-12-2007, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the tip.

Chicken Vino Bianco

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup heavy cream
cooked pasta, optional
Directions:

Olive Garden Receipe:

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup heavy cream
cooked pasta, optional
(http://www.floras-hideout.com/recipes/recipes.php?page=recipes&data=o/Olive_Garden_Chicken_Vino_Bianco)

Partial
04-12-2007, 10:37 PM
I am paranoid about my poultry and pork

:wink: me too. Just given you shi7 for busting my chops about the whole chicken fiasco.

GBRulz
04-13-2007, 10:41 AM
have you guys seen the show "How to Boil Water" on Food Network? It's perfect for those like me that love to cook, but aren't real experienced in making elaborate dishes. Maybe I'm just partial to Tyler Florence as I think he has some great tasting healthy recipes, who is the host of the show.

Zool
04-13-2007, 10:58 AM
I am paranoid about my poultry and pork

:wink: me too. Just given you shi7 for busting my chops about the whole chicken fiasco.Chops....good one

MJZiggy
04-13-2007, 11:44 AM
have you guys seen the show "How to Boil Water" on Food Network? It's perfect for those like me that love to cook, but aren't real experienced in making elaborate dishes. Maybe I'm just partial to Tyler Florence as I think he has some great tasting healthy recipes, who is the host of the show.

Is he that hottie dude who just hooked up with one of the restaurant chains? TGIF??

GBRulz
04-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Close, Zig. Think of GB's "classiest restuarant"

MJZiggy
06-05-2007, 09:15 PM

OK, Mr. Backyard Mushroom Expert what on earth is this thing?
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t252/mjziggy/IMG_0083.jpg

packinpatland
06-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Looks to me like something that 'landed'.

MJZiggy
06-24-2007, 01:35 PM

After having steak at the end of the year soccer party, I can tell you that we served the food about 4 or 5:00 yesterday and I'll let you know when I'm done chewing it...I was told last week that the marinade would help make it fall apart and that it would be ok, but no, not really.

Partial
10-09-2009, 11:16 PM
I went to Pizza man with my family today. While not super classy (but not not classy, either), it is hands down some of the finest pizza I've tasted.

That, anne's, and my homemade pie are the three best probably in that order.

I'm making this recipe on Sunday:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spicy-Chicken-Breasts/Detail.aspx

Freak Out
10-10-2009, 01:14 AM
I made this last night on a whim and everyone loved it. Been a long time since I made Mac and Cheese but this turned out great.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Macaroni-and-Cheese-11625

Partial
10-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Here is a pic of the aforementioned spicy chicken. It's really good. A little too much thyme though, only go with 3/4 of what it calls for.

One quantity of the seasoning per the recipe coated 4 lbs of chicken fully, and 1 lbs very well (but not fully).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2433/4002667758_121652a5ab.jpg

hoosier
10-11-2009, 07:22 PM
I made this last night on a whim and everyone loved it. Been a long time since I made Mac and Cheese but this turned out great.

My wife and I have an ongoing battle about how to make mac and cheese. It got much worse when we had kids and started making it more than once a decade. She likes the macaroni with cheese sauce, whereas to my taste macaronic baked in a white sauce, and some buttered bread crumbs and sprinkled cheese on top is the only way to go.

HowardRoark
10-11-2009, 07:41 PM

My wife and I have an ongoing battle about how to make mac and cheese. It got much worse when we had kids and started making it more than once a decade. She likes the macaroni with cheese sauce, whereas to my taste macaronic baked in a white sauce, and some buttered bread crumbs and sprinkled cheese on top is the only way to go.

Next time you are in Portland, OR.....go to Le Bistro Montage for Mac and Cheese. Google how to make their stuff.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g52024-d440053-Reviews-or40-Le_Bistro_Montage-Portland_Oregon.html

Iron Mike
10-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Now that it's getting colder, I'm ready for the Boeuf Bourguignon.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_Oik6r_g4jMY/RaqHG8Iu-PI/AAAAAAAAACU/oiw9XzJ-Oqs/s400/BeefBourguignon2.jpg

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Beef-Bourguignon-1196

pasquale
10-11-2009, 09:47 PM

Just stumbled across this thread...

Chicken Vino Bianco, huh? Perhaps the one I made?

Partial
10-11-2009, 09:54 PM

Exactly the one you made. I should make that again, it's been awhile.

pasquale
10-11-2009, 09:56 PM

Exactly the one you made.

Haha awesome, I'm glad my food has earned it's own thread!

MJZiggy
10-11-2009, 10:02 PM

Mmmm...Thursday! CVB night this week!

Partial
10-11-2009, 10:04 PM

Man, looking back at this thread, I started this probably right after we got home sophomore year. I'm sure I whipped it up soon after returning home because in the dorms it was a bit of production with all the ingredients, etc. Good times man.

Check out the chicken I posted on page 10. Pretty good main course for lunch at work.

pasquale
10-11-2009, 10:16 PM

Man, looking back at this thread, I started this probably right after we got home sophomore year. I'm sure I whipped it up soon after returning home because in the dorms it was a bit of production with all the ingredients, etc. Good times man.

Check out the chicken I posted on page 10. Pretty good main course for lunch at work.

I saw that you found a recipe for the vino bianco. I just pulled that shit out of my ass after eating it there. Do they provide recipes for their food? That seems kinda odd on their part.

Partial
10-11-2009, 10:24 PM

I saw that you found a recipe for the vino bianco. I just pulled that shit out of my ass after eating it there. Do they provide recipes for their food? That seems kinda odd on their part.

I'm not sure, I think I found that from Googling. Oddly enough I SWEAR I had your recipe stored in my gmail because I know you sent it over IM and I sent an email to myself containing it, but I cannot find it for the life of me. I'm pretty sure I've never made it with any sort of creamer. It's been like 2 years. I really need to whip some up.

pasquale
10-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Yep, I wrote down what I did afterwards:

Flour
Chicken Breasts
½ stick Butter
2 Tablespoons Parsley
2 Minced Medium Cloves Garlic
4 Diced Roma Tomatos
½ large Red Onion - diced
¾ Cup Mushrooms
¾ Cup White Wine
Salt & Pepper
Olive Oil
1 lb cooked Pasta (linguine works best)

Chicken breasts are best if filleted thin, so try to keep them thin. Coat the breasts in flour and place in a pan with oil over medium heat. Cook until browned. Remove the chicken breast and set aside. Add a little more oil, and then add the onions, garlic, and butter and cook until tender. Add the mushrooms, cook until golden. Stir in the wine, and bring to a simmer, then return the chicken to the pan and cook over medium-high heat until done. Add tomatoes and cook until tender. Serve over warm pasta, but lightly coat the pasta with olive oil and sprinkle with parsley.

hoosier
10-12-2009, 10:50 AM

Next time you are in Portland, OR.....go to Le Bistro Montage for Mac and Cheese. Google how to make their stuff.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g52024-d440053-Reviews-or40-Le_Bistro_Montage-Portland_Oregon.html

It sounds like they do it right. From the online reviews also sounds like their wait staff lets you know they've done it right. :lol:

Freak Out
10-12-2009, 11:19 AM

It sounds like they do it right. From the online reviews also sounds like their wait staff lets you know they've done it right. :lol:

Portland is the Restaurant capital of America IMHO.....great breweries....world class wine....that's why I go so often.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-12-2009, 11:49 AM

Portland is the Restaurant capital of America IMHO.....great breweries....world class wine....that's why I go so often.

Portland may have great wine and beer, but as a food city....it doesn't even crack the top 10.

In no particular order.

1. Chitown
2. NYC
3. LA
4. SanFran
5. New Orleans
6. Vegas
7. Houston
8. D.C.
9. Atl
10. Boston

Chicago and NYC are top ten in the world.

Portland has no distinct style, but has great fresh ingredients from salmon, veggies, wild game to berries....and great access to beer. Oregon is home to world class pinots, but the rest of their varietals can't compare to cali.

It would definitely be in the top 20 though.

Vancouver is a top food city in the world as well.

Freak Out
10-12-2009, 12:44 PM

Portland may have great wine and beer, but as a food city....it doesn't even crack the top 10.

In no particular order.

1. Chitown
2. NYC
3. LA
4. SanFran
5. New Orleans
6. Vegas
7. Houston
8. D.C.
9. Atl
10. Boston

Chicago and NYC are top ten in the world.

Portland has no distinct style, but has great fresh ingredients from salmon, veggies, wild game to berries....and great access to beer. Oregon is home to world class pinots, but the rest of their varietals can't compare to cali.

It would definitely be in the top 20 though.

Vancouver is a top food city in the world as well.

I consider the Columbia RV as part of "Portland"
:lol: The Region is phenomenal....

Maybe I should have said tops in places I would ever consider living. :)

Tyrone Bigguns
10-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Ok. Ty sees.

ty has considered it as well....bit worried about the rain though.

And lack of pro sports.

Ty is big on Vancouver, ty has a friend about to take a job there. Great city.

Here is something from best of craigslist..that worries ty though.

Dear Future Hipster Neighbor

Dear Future late 20/early 30 Hipster Neighbor from the Mid-west/South/Idaho:

I know you are the coolest kid in Iowa/Ohio/Idaho/Texas/Florida/etc but...

While scanning CL for a cool vintage apartment near Hawthorne or Alberta, a sweet barista job and a new fixie to ride around on once you arrive, please reconsider your decision, and please do not move here.

There aren't any jobs for the people who already live here. Word on the street is that your Stumptown barista job won't last once people find out you are a 30-something college graduate from Ohio.

I heard the eastside is going to break off from the Willamette River and will soon become part of the Couve (aka you will live in something similar to where you currently live, but rainier).

Plus, living in the Pearl or NW is too expensive for your $9/hour barista job. And no cool hipsters live on the SW Side.

Regards,

Your previous future neighbor

Freak Out
10-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Ok. Ty sees.

And lack of pro sports.

While scanning CL for a cool vintage apartment near Hawthorne or Alberta, a sweet barista job and a new fixie to ride around on once you arrive, please reconsider your decision, and please do not move here.

There aren't any jobs for the people who already live here. Word on the street is that your Stumptown barista job won't last once people find out you are a 30-something college graduate from Ohio.

I heard the eastside is going to break off from the Willamette River and will soon become part of the Couve (aka you will live in something similar to where you currently live, but rainier).

Plus, living in the Pearl or NW is too expensive for your $9/hour barista job. And no cool hipsters live on the SW Side.

Regards,

That's why I just visit now.....I may start commuting from OR to AK though........I love Vancouver Canada....great place.
Remember TY....SEA is 30 minutes flight time away for PDX. :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
10-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Ok. Ty sees.

And lack of pro sports.

Regards,

That's why I just visit now.....I may start commuting from OR to AK though........I love Vancouver Canada....great place.

I would rather work on figuring out how to work in Vancouver than PDX.

Seattle: you saying that for sports? No. ty isn't going to work or pay that much to see a seattle game.

Ty likes urban...which obviously for you...based on where you live isn't a vital issue.

MadtownPacker
10-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Chorizo with eggs, beans and some tortillas BITCHES!!!

Just ask Harlan, that fool knows.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-12-2009, 02:34 PM
[quote="MadtownPacker"]Chorizo with eggs, beans and some tortillas BITCHES!!!

Just ask Harlan, that fool knows.[/quote

post coitus for you two?

HowardRoark
10-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Ok. Ty sees.

And lack of pro sports.

Regards,

I would rather work on figuring out how to work in Vancouver than PDX.

Seattle: you saying that for sports? No. ty isn't going to work or pay that much to see a seattle game.

Ty likes urban...which obviously for you...based on where you live isn't a vital issue.

Vancouver is a great city, except they need a freeway around/through it. The best part about it is that it leads to one of the greatest roads up to a great ski area with many, many very good dining places.

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Prawns with Orange Riesling Sauce

1 cup fresh orange juice
1 cup dry riesling
2 small chopped shallots
1 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp white peppercorns, slightly crushed
8 tbs unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into pieces
salt to taste

Prawns
2 tbs unsalted butter
2 pds medium shelled and deveined prawns
fresh chervil

for the sauce...

Stir together OJ, wine, shallots, peppercorns and chervil in heavy sauce pan over high heat... bring to boil and reduce by half

Strain liquid throuh a fine mesh sieve (or even a thin layer of cheesecloth), pressing on solids with the back of a spoon to extract maximum liquid

Whisk in butter, one piece at a time, over low heat Season with salt and white pepper, then set aside and keep warm

Melt butter in heavy pan over medium heat. Add prawns and saute until just pink, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in sauce and coat prawns well. Serves six

Just FYI- I like to use blood oranges for my orange juice

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Baked Macaroni and Shrimp

Bechamel Sauce...
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 1/4 cup of milk
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

Additional Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cups sliced button mushrooms
1 cup peeled shrimp
2 tablespoons warmed brandy
6 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
8 ounces macaroni
Basil for garnish

Make 1 1/4 cups Bechamel Sauce... Keep warm

Heat half of the butter in a skillet and cook the mushrooms until tender

Add the shrimp and heat through, then pour on the warmed brandy and flambe. When the flames have subsided, stir in half of the cheese and check for seasoning (add salt or pepper to taste)

meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to the bite. Drain well. Add the remaining cheese to the Bechamel.

Place 1/3 of the macaroni in a buttered oven-to-table dish and spread with half of the mushroom/shrimp mixture. Repeat layers ending with a layer of macaroni.

Cover with the Bechamel. Heat the remaining butter in a pan and, when it is lightly colored, pour it over the top. Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes until golden brown. Garnish with Fresh Basil

Serves 4

Lobster or Dungeness Crab make fantastic substitutions/additions as well... yummmmm

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Creamy Risotto with Fontina and Gorgonzola Cheese

1 1/2 Cups Long Grain Rice
5 Ounces Fontina Cheese
5 Ounces Crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese
(I always add more cheese... but.. that's just me! :-))
2 Cups of Milk
6 Tablespoons of Butter
3 Tablespoons of All Purpose Flour
3/4 Cup Light Cream
Salt and Pepper to taste

Boil the rice in salted water and drain when just tender

Remove the rind, if there is one, from the Fontina, cut into cubes, and place in a bowl. Put the milk in a small pan over low heat.

Soften 2/3 of the butter in a pan, add the flour, stirring well, the gradually add the hot milk, stirring continuously.

Add the Gorgonzola gradually, keep stirring, season with salt and pepper as desired. Remove from the heat and stir in the cream.

Add the drained rice to the bowl with the cubed Fontina and mix with the remaining butter.

Make a layer of rice in a buttered overnproof dish, cover with 1/3 of the Gorgonzola sauce, add another layer of rice followed by half of the remaining Gorgonzola sauce and repeat for a third time.

Place the dish in pre heated oven (350 degrees) and bake for 10 minutes... serve immediately. For best results the rice needs to be very hot but the sauce on top should not be brown.

Serves 4

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Sherman Crayton's Chicken New Orleans Recipe

Mr. Crayton started at Arnaud's Restaurant in 1936, worked at the Court of Two Sisters Restaurant and, in 1963 was offered the Chef's position at Vieux Carre Restaurant....

Two 1 1/2- 2 pound chickens... cut into pieces
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons flour
1 medium bell pepper cut into thin strips
1 medium onion, sliced
2 cups chicken stock... fresh (recipe to follow) or canned
Two 10 ounce cans tomatoes
6 oysters
1 dozen fresh shrimp
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
4 large fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup brandy

Saute the chicken pieces in oil until tender. Remove and set aside.

Add flour to the juices in the pan and stir to make a roux. Add bell pepper and onion and saute for 10 minutes, then add chicken stock and tomatoes.

Cook another 5 minutes and return chicken pieces to the pan. Add oysters, shrimp, parsley and mushrooms and cook 15 minutes. Blend in wine and brandy, stir and remove from heat.

Serves 6

Mr. Crayton's notes state that this dish is NOT to be served over rice.

Chicken Stock Recipe

1 whole 5-6 pound hen
1 medium onion, chopped
3 ribs of celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 fresh bay leaves
5 quarts of water

Put all ingredients in a 2 gallon pot. Simmer slowly until hen is tender, approximately 2 1/2 hours. Let stock cool with hen in it. Remove hen and strain. Stock will keep one week refrigerated.

Makes 4 quarts

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 01:32 PM
OK... not exactly in the "Classy" arena... but "Comfort Slop and Plop" is sometimes the ticket!

Macaroni and Beef

Ingredients

1-pound box elbow macaron
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped green bell pepper
2 cups chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 pounds lean ground beef
3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon each dried basil, ground cumin, and dried oregano
2 to 3 cups grated Cheddar

Directions

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Cook the macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside. Heat the oil in a skillet; add the peppers, onion, and garlic, and saute until soft. Add the ground beef and saute until browned. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, to taste, and the basil, cumin, and oregano. In a large bowl, combine the macaroni and the beef mixture. Spread this mixture into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Top with the cheese and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.
Cook's Note: Ground turkey or chicken can be used in place of beef, if desired.

Got this one from the Food Network... it's cold as hell today and I felt like some grubbin' comfort food....

I don't use the canned crushed tomatoes though... I use Pomi and I eliminate the Cumin... bulk up on the garlic... add some hot red pepper flakes to taste

Gotta use Sharp Cheddar, not mild for me, and add some parmesan to the mix.

http://www.grubgirl.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/tomatoespomi.jpg

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 01:43 PM
This recipe hails from one of my all time favorite, yet now defunct, restaurants in Seattle.... Le Tastevin. Closed in 1993 this recipe lives on.... positively Yummy.

Serves 4

Poached Pears with Raspberrly Couli and Chocolate Sauce

(When in season, Bartlett Pears are a must for this dessert as their flavor is hard to beat and they hold their shape perfectly when poached)

Raspberry Couli
1 cup fresh raspberries, well rinsed and drained
1/4 cup of vodka

Chocolate Sauce
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate... chopped
1/4 heavy cream
1/4 cup strongly brewed coffee

4 pears, preferably Bartlett
3 cups (or more) water
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
zest of one orange
fresh mint sprigs

For Raspberry Couli....
Puree berries with vodka in blender or bowl of food processor fitted with steel knife. Strain through fine mesh sieve into small bowl, cover and set aside

For Chocolate Sauce...
Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over gently simmering water. Stir in cream with coffee until well blended. Set aside and keep warm.

Pears....
Peel pears and place in bowl of acidulated water to deep from turning brown. Set aside.

Bring water, wine, sugar, cinnamon stick and orange zest to boil n deep, heavy large saucepan over high heat. Reduced heat to simmer.

Submerge pears in liquid, adding more water to cover, if necessary, and poach until they have little resistance when pierced with skewer..... about 12 minutes.

Swith slotted spoon, remove pears from liquid and cool completely with ice.

Halve pears and remove centers. Fan-slice halves. To serve, pool raspberry sauce on half of plate and warm chocolate sauce on other half. Arrange 2 fan sliced halves atop sauces and garnish with fresh mint sprig.

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 01:48 PM
I stlll have Freak Out's Mac and Cheese recipe and it is nom! I also had a "Foodie" group on another board so I am sharing some of the recipes I had posted over there- here, and this Mac and Cheese recipe is one of them. No two ways about it.... it takes a "genius" to screw up Mac and Cheese.... but apparently there are a lot of "Einsteins" out there! lol!

Macaroni and Cheese

From Gourmet Magazine, 2007

For topping
1/2 stick unsalted butter

2 cups panko (coarse Japanese bread crumbs) or 3 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs (from 6 slices firm white sandwich bread)

1/4 pound coarsely grated extra-sharp Cheddar (1 1/2 cups)

1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese

For macaroni and sauce
1 stick unsalted butter

6 tablespoons all-purpose flour

5 cups whole milk (I will sometimes use half whole milk and half heavy whipping cream depending on your decadence factor)

1 pound coarsely grated extra-sharp Cheddar (6 cups)

1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese

1 pound elbow macaroni

Make topping:
Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle.
Melt butter, then stir together with panko and topping cheeses in a bowl until combined well.

Make sauce:
Melt butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat and stir in flour. Cook roux, stirring, 3 minutes, then whisk in milk. Bring sauce to a boil, whisking constantly, then simmer, whisking occasionally, 3 minutes. Stir in cheeses, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper until smooth. Remove from heat and cover surface of sauce with wax paper.

Make Macaroni:
Cook macaroni in a pasta pot of boiling salted water (2 tablespoons salt for 4 quarts water) until al dente. Reserve 1 cup cooking water and drain macaroni in a colander. Stir together macaroni, reserved cooking water, and sauce in a large bowl. Transfer to 2 buttered 2-quart shallow baking dishes.
Sprinkle topping evenly over macaroni and bake until golden and bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes.

I also like to switch it up by adding Fontina for creaminess and Bleu for bite. Lobster, crab or shrimp is another nice addition... then top with a slice or two of Brie.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1257/5159562559_3b46b5c793.jpg

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Chicken Veronique- You've GOT to try it!!!!

4 whole boneless, skinless breasts of chicken
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
1/2 teaspoon dry tarragon
16 medium sized mushrooms
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp cornstarch
4 tsps water
1 1/2 cups seedless grapes

Cook chicken breasts in 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat, turning until golden brown on each side.

Stir in marmalade, tarragon and wine. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer until chicken breasts are completely cooked.... about 15 minutes...Transfer chicken to a warmed serving dish, reserving juices.

In a second pan, saute mushrooms in remaining 2 tablespoons of butter until done and liquid has evaporated... set aside...keep warm

Add cream to the original pan that the chicken was cooked in. Quickly bring to full boil over medium high heat. Mix cornstarch and water, stir into the sauce. Return sauce to a boil, stirring all the while. Add grapes. Return sauce to a boil again and pour over chicken. Garnish with Mushrooms.

4 servings

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 01:59 PM
This recipe is sooooo simple but soooo good! If you like shrimp and cream cheese that is! This batch will make enough for about 14 servings as a party app supplement. Just cut it in half for a smaller gathering.

Shrimp and Cream Cheese Whatever Dip Cracker Thingy Recipe

2 (8 ounce each) large packages of cream cheese, softened

2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce

1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce... Tobasco, Frank's... whatever floats your boat

1- 12 ounce bottle of tomato based chili sauce

1 tablespoon prepared horseradish.... straight, not the creamed stuff

3/4 pound of cooked bay shrimp

assorted crackers

In a bowl beat cream cheese, Worcestershire, lemon peel, lemon juice and hot pepper sauce until smooth. Spread on a 10" or so rimmed serving dish or whatever the hell kind of serving vessel you so desire. At this point it can be covered and refrigerated until the next day if you so desire.

Just before serving, stir together chili sauce and horseradish in a small bowl, spread over cheese mixture. Top with shrimp and serve with crackers.

If you're really lazy and just want an even simpler version...

Take one block of 8 ounce cream cheese and plop it on a plate.

Open a jar of cocktail sauce or chili sauce, pour about 6 ounces of it (or whatever ratio looks good to you) over the cream cheese brick, (gotta add some horseradish to the cocktail sauce or chili sauce though- just gotta!) top with shrimp... grab crackers, dig in and... voila... good stuff.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Appetizers/ShrimpCreamCheese1.jpg

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Another dish that might not be considered so "classy" or glam.... but it's good and it's easy...

Easy Baked Chicken

(serves 4-6)

1/3 cup orange marmalade
1/3 cup hot/spicy barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 pounds chicken pieces- skin on
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine marmalade, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice... mix well...

Place chicken skin side up in a 9"x13" pan (I have a pyrex and a non stick... if you don't have a pan that facilitates easy clean up... line the pan with heavy duty aluminum foil- Reynolds has that non-stick stuff now)

Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper as desired. Pour sauce over the chicken and bake one hour, basting occasionally... increase heat to 400 degrees and bake 15 minutes longer.

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Flank Steak with Sauce Chasseur

One 2 pound flank steak
2 tablespoons peanut, vegetable or corn oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter

Preheat a broiler rack the the broiler set on high

Rub the flank steak on both sides with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper... being a bit more liberal with the pepper than the sodium

Place the meat on the broiler rack and let it cook about four or five inches from the source of heat. Broil about 3-5 minutes on each side... depending on the desired degree of doneness.

Transfer to a hot platter and dot with butter. Let the steak stand in a warm place about 5 minutes to redistribute the internal juices of the meat. Juices will accumulate as the steak stands. Add these to the Sauce Chasseur. Carve on the diagonal and serve with the sauce...

Sauce Chasseur
1/3 pound sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup peeled, chopped fresh tomatoes or use POMI brand
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup fresh or canned beef broth (I use low sodium... because I like the flavor better)
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
1 teaspoon arrowroot or corn starch
2 teaspoons water

Set the mushrooms and tomatoes aside in separate bowls

Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the mushrooms, shallots, salt and pepper to taste. Cook about 10 minutes.

Add the wine and simmer briefly over high heat. Add the tomatoes, beef broth and tarragon. Cook about five minutes, stirring occasionally.

Blend the arrowroot and water. Stir into the sauce. Cook briefly and serve.

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 02:37 PM
OK... being from Nashville, I have to share this recipe. It is in no way in the "classy" ballpark but it originated at the Hermitage- Home to President Andrew Jackson and his wife Rachel... through the years it was served to FDR and Lady Bird when they visited the Hermitage during tours through Nashville....

Turkey Hash

Steam a large turkey with enough water for the turkey not to become dry. Put diced celery and onion in water for flavor. When the turkey is tender, remove and chill. Strain the liquid into another container and chill long enough for all fat to rise to the top. Skim away fat. Meanwhile, remove trukey from bones and cut best parts into rather large pieces, being careful to remove al skin, bones and gristle.

Make a rather stiff sauce of butter, sifted flour and turkey liquid. Flavor with salt, white pepper and Worcestershire sauce as desired. Allow 2 cups of heavy sauce to 1 cup of large pieces of diced turkey. Keep hot in double boiler until ready to serve.

Base?... yes... good, classic, simple Southern?... double yes...

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Julia Child's recipe for Beef Bourguignon

Ingredients

One 6-ounce piece of chunk bacon
3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 pounds lean stewing beef, cut into 2-inch cubes
1 carrot, sliced
1 onion, sliced
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons flour
3 cups red wine, young and full-bodied (like Beaujolais, Cotes du Rhone or Burgundy)
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups brown beef stock
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cloves mashed garlic
1/2 teaspoon thyme
A crumbled bay leaf
18 to 24 white onions, small
3 1/2 tablespoons butter
Herb bouquet (4 parsley sprigs, one-half bay leaf, one-quarter teaspoon thyme, tied in cheesecloth)
1 pound mushrooms, fresh and quartered

Cooking Directions

Remove bacon rind and cut into lardons (sticks 1/4-inch thick and 1 1/2 inches long). Simmer rind and lardons for 10 minutes in 1 1/2 quarts water. Drain and dry.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Sauté lardons in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a flameproof casserole over moderate heat for 2 to 3 minutes to brown lightly. Remove to a side dish with a slotted spoon.

Dry beef in paper towels; it will not brown if it is damp. Heat fat in casserole until almost smoking. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and sauté until nicely browned on all sides. Add it to the lardons.
In the same fat, brown the sliced vegetables. Pour out the excess fat.
Return the beef and bacon to the casserole and toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Then sprinkle on the flour and toss again to coat the beef lightly. Set casserole uncovered in middle position of preheated oven for 4 minutes.
Toss the meat again and return to oven for 4 minutes (this browns the flour and coves the meat with a light crust).
Remove casserole and turn oven down to 325 degrees.

Stir in wine and 2 to 3 cups stock, just enough so that the meat is barely covered.
Add the tomato paste, garlic, herbs and bacon rind. Bring to a simmer on top of the stove.
Cover casserole and set in lower third of oven. Regulate heat so that liquid simmers very slowly for 3 to 4 hours. The meat is done when a fork pierces it easily.

While the beef is cooking, prepare the onions and mushrooms.
Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons butter with one and one-half tablespoons of the oil until bubbling in a skillet.
Add onions and sauté over moderate heat for about 10 minutes, rolling them so they will brown as evenly as possible. Be careful not to break their skins. You cannot expect them to brown uniformly.
Add 1/2 cup of the stock, salt and pepper to taste and the herb bouquet.
Cover and simmer slowly for 40 to 50 minutes until the onions are perfectly tender but hold their shape, and the liquid has evaporated. Remove herb bouquet and set onions aside.
Wipe out skillet and heat remaining oil and butter over high heat. As soon as you see butter has begun to subside, indicating it is hot enough, add mushrooms.

Toss and shake pan for 4 to 5 minutes. As soon as they have begun to brown lightly, remove from heat.
When the meat is tender, pour the contents of the casserole into a sieve set over a saucepan.
Wash out the casserole and return the beef and lardons to it. Distribute the cooked onions and mushrooms on top.
Skim fat off sauce in saucepan. Simmer sauce for a minute or 2, skimming off additional fat as it rises. You should have about 2 1/2 cups of sauce thick enough to coat a spoon lightly.

If too thin, boil it down rapidly. If too thick, mix in a few tablespoons stock. Taste carefully for seasoning.
Pour sauce over meat and vegetables. Cover and simmer 2 to 3 minutes, basting the meat and vegetables with the sauce several times.
Serve in casserole, or arrange stew on a platter surrounded with potatoes, noodles or rice, and decorated with parsley.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_e1C4oHC3XRw/S1U5WUOCfFI/AAAAAAAAUjk/ByIy6siD0k0/s400/DSC_1603.JPG

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Again... not necessarily "classy" but goooood!!! Grab a glass of Montepulciano and dig in!

Chicken Parmesan

Ingredients

Tomato sauce:
1 ounce sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil (about 1/4 cup)
1 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups chopped red bell pepper
1 cup chopped onion
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained (If I can't use fresh tomatoes I use Pomi Chopped Tomatoes, as I've said before- no sodium- really good... tastes very fresh... not like canned!)

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced

(I also add hot red pepper flakes because I like a little spice!!!)
Chicken:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon olive oil
Cooking spray
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (I use only whole milk mozzarella... it's my cheese weakness! I also add shaved parmesan and asiago cheeses when I bake it- and lots of it!)
3 cups hot cooked linguine (about 6 ounces uncooked pasta) (I prefer Spaghetti... use whatever ya' like!!!)

Preparation

To prepare tomato sauce, combine sun-dried tomatoes and water in a bowl; cover and let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain and finely chop tomatoes.Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sun-dried tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion; sauté 7 minutes. Stir in canned tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in parsley, basil, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and garlic.
Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare chicken, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, Parmesan, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a shallow dish. Place each breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Dip each breast half in egg white; dredge in flour mixture. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 5 minutes on each side or until golden. Arrange in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour the tomato sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Serve over linguine.

Yield

4 servings

http://www.alwayshungryny.com/images/content/LucyBrownes__ChickenParm2_v1_37_-_Version_2.jpg

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Bourbon Glazed Baby Back Ribs

Ingredients:
5 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup bourbon
1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon plum sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons mild-flavored (light) molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek)*
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 2 1/4- to 2 1/2-pound racks baby back pork ribs
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice

Preparation

Whisk first 11 ingredients in small bowl.

Do ahead: Glaze can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place long sheet of heavy-duty foil on each of 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Sprinkle rib racks on all sides with salt and pepper. Place 1 rib rack on each foil sheet. Fold up sides of each foil sheet around rib rack to form boat-like shape. Pour 1/2 cup pineapple juice over each rib rack. Fold up foil to seal packets. Bake until ribs are tender, about 1 hour. Remove ribs from foil packets. Transfer to roasting pan; pour any juices from foil over and cool.

Do ahead: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate.

Prepare barbecue (medium heat). Cut each rib rack in half. Grill until browned, brushing frequently with glaze and turning often, about 10 minutes. Cut racks between bones into ribs.

*An Indonesian hot chili paste; available at many supermarkets, at Asian markets, and from mingspantry.com.

Class where I come from...lol!

http://rickbakas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/baby-back-ribs.gif

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Prawns in Mustard Sauce

(4 Servings)

1/4 cup of butter
24 shelled, raw jumbo shrimp
2 tablespoons brandy
1 cup heavy cream
2 1/2 tsps.Grey Poupon or French style mustard
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice

Heat the butter in a skillet and cook shrimp for just a couple of minutes. Warm the Brandy, pour over the shrimp and flambe.

When the flames have subsided, stir in the cream then season to taste with the mustard, salt and white pepper

Simmer very gently for 4-5 minutes or until the shrimp are tender, they can go tough REAL QUICK... you can always remove from the pan and reintroduce to the sauce/heat right before serving.

Squeeze a fresh wedge of lemon into the pan right before serving...

Luxuriously rich but soooooo goooood!!

Serve with boiled rice or orzo and vegetable or salad of choice

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Mushroom and Goat Cheese Tart

Ingredients

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 ounces button mushrooms, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 large shallot, minced
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of 17.3-ounce package), thawed
1 large egg, beaten to blend
3 ounces soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet), room temperature
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
2 tablespoons whipping cream

(Caramelized onions are a good addition too... but that's just me)

Preparation

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until soft and dry, about 5 minutes. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter to skillet, then shallot. Sauté until shallot is soft, about 4 minutes longer. Add nutmeg. Season mushroom filling with salt and pepper. Cool. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out puff pastry onto lightly floured surface to 12x15-inch rectangle. Cut one 12x5-inch rectangle, two 11x1/2-inch strips and two 5x1/2-inch strips from pastry. Place rectangle on prepared baking sheet. Pierce all over with fork. Using pastry brush, brush all strips with egg.

Place short strips, egg side down, atop ends of pastry to form raised crust edge; place long strips, egg side down, atop long sides of pastry. (Mushroom filling and tart shell can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover separately and refrigerate.)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake tart shell until golden, about 15 minutes. Maintain oven temperature. Spread cheese evenly over bottom of hot tart shell. Top with mushrooms. Sprinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper. Drizzle with cream. Bake until heated through, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Chicken Saltimbocca Recipe from the Food Network... this is da bomb!!

http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2004/02/16/ei1b11_chicken_saltimboca_e.jpg
6 (3-ounce) chicken cutlets, pounded to evenly flatten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 paper-thin slices prosciutto
1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed (I prefer Fresh Spinach though)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan (I always use more cheese!)
1 (14-ounce) can low-salt chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Place the chicken cutlets flat on the work surface. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Lay 1 slice of prosciutto atop each chicken cutlet. Squeeze the frozen spinach to remove the excess water. Season the spinach with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, toss the spinach with 1 tablespoon of oil to coat.

Arrange an even, thin layer of spinach atop the prosciutto slices. Sprinkle the Parmesan evenly over each. Beginning at the short tapered end, roll up each chicken cutlet as for a jellyroll. Secure with a toothpick.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy large skillet over high heat. Add the chicken and cook just until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Add the chicken broth and lemon juice, and scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium. Cover and simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Simmer the cooking liquid over high heat until it is reduced to about 2/3 cup, about 5 minutes. Season the cooking liquid with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove toothpicks from the chicken. Drizzle the reduced cooking liquid over the chicken and serve immediately.

easy cheesy
03-22-2011, 07:08 PM
I felt like some more sort of comfort food so... here goes...

Beef and Biscuits

2 pounds cubed, lean beef stew meat
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 tablespoons bacon drippings
4 carrots, pared and sliced
1 large onion, cut into small wedges
6 potatoes cut into wedges
2 cups diced or stewed tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved (Use the POMI!)
1 herb bouquet with 1 tablespoon each of dried basil, chervil, marjoram and savory tied up in cheesecloth)
12 buttermilk biscuits

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a small bowl (I actually use disposable 1 gallon zip lock bags so that I can just throw away afterward... that's just me though)
Drop the meat into the bag and shake to cover or dredge through the mixture in the bowl. Reserve the leftover flour mixture.

Heat the bacon drippings in a large skillet. Add the beef and brown on all sides. Removie the beef with a slotted spoon and place in a casserole dish. Add the carrots, onion, potatoes, drained tomatoes and herb bouquet.

Add the leftover flour mixture to the bacon drippings and blend thoroughly. Lightly brown and stir in the reserved tomato liquid. Simmer for three minutes. Pour the sauce over the meat and vegetables. Bake, covered for three hours. Serve over biscuits.

Freak Out
03-22-2011, 07:52 PM
You need to rename this thread "Easy Cheesy Classy Cooking".

easy cheesy
03-25-2011, 10:38 PM
You need to rename this thread "Easy Cheesy Classy Cooking".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YAcoDkj_dI

Let's get more recipes people!!!!! :)

easy cheesy
03-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Fillet of Beef Wellington

Ingredients...

A 3 1/2-pound fillet of beef tied with thin sheets of larding fat at room temperature

3/4 pound mushrooms, chopped fine

2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/2 pound pâté de foie gras (available at specialty foods shops) at room temperature

1 pound puff pastry or thawed frozen puff pastry plus additional for garnish if desired

1 large egg white beaten

An egg wash made by beating 1 large egg yolk with 1 teaspoon of water

1/2 cup Sercial Madeira

2 teaspoons arrowroot dissolved in 1 teaspoon cold water

1/2 cup beef broth

2 tablespoons finely chopped black truffles (available at specialty food shops) if desired

watercress for garnish if desired

Preparation...

In a roasting pan roast the beef in the middle of a preheated 400°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the thermometer registers 120°F. Let the fillet cool completely and discard the larding fat and the strings. Skim the fat from the pan juices and reserve the pan juices.

In a heavy skillet cook the mushrooms in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until all the liquid they give off is evaporated and the mixture is dry, season them with salt and pepper, and let them cool completely.

Spread the fillet evenly with the pâté de foie gras, covering the top and sides, and spread the mushrooms evenly over the pâté de foie gras. On a floured surface roll 1 pound of the puff paste into a rectangle about 20- by 12- inches, or large enough to enclose the fillet completely, invert the coated fillet carefully under the middle of the dough, and fold up the long sides of the dough to enclose the fillet brushing the edges of the dough with some of the egg white to seal them.

Fold ends of the dough over the fillet and seal them with the remaining egg white. Transfer the fillet, seam side down to a jelly-roll pan or shallow roasting pan and brush the dough with some of the egg wash. Roll out the additional dough and cut the shapes with decorative cutters. Arrange the cutouts on the dough decoratively, brush them with the remaining egg wash, and chill the fillet for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours. Bake the fillet in the middle of a preheated 400°F oven for 30 minutes, reduce the heat to 350°, and bake the fillet for 5 to 10 minutes more, or until the meat thermometer registers 130°F. for medium-rare meat and the pastry is cooked through.

Let the fillet stand for 15 minutes.
In a saucepan boil the reserved pan juices and the Madeira until the mixture is reduced by one fourth. Add the arrowroot mixture, the broth, the truffles, and salt and pepper to taste and cook the sauce over moderate heat, stirring, being careful not to let it boil, for 5 minutes, or until it is thickened. Loosen the fillet from the jelly-roll pan, transfer it with two spatulas to a heated platter, and garnish it with watercress. Serve the fillet, cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices, with the sauce.

Ingredients...

A 3 1/2-pound fillet of beef tied with thin sheets of larding fat at room temperature

3/4 pound mushrooms, chopped fine

2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/2 pound pâté de foie gras (available at specialty foods shops) at room temperature

1 pound puff pastry or thawed frozen puff pastry plus additional for garnish if desired

1 large egg white beaten

An egg wash made by beating 1 large egg yolk with 1 teaspoon of water

1/2 cup Sercial Madeira

2 teaspoons arrowroot dissolved in 1 teaspoon cold water

1/2 cup beef broth

2 tablespoons finely chopped black truffles (available at specialty food shops) if desired

watercress for garnish if desired

Preparation...

In a roasting pan roast the beef in the middle of a preheated 400°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the thermometer registers 120°F. Let the fillet cool completely and discard the larding fat and the strings. Skim the fat from the pan juices and reserve the pan juices.

In a heavy skillet cook the mushrooms in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until all the liquid they give off is evaporated and the mixture is dry, season them with salt and pepper, and let them cool completely.

Spread the fillet evenly with the pâté de foie gras, covering the top and sides, and spread the mushrooms evenly over the pâté de foie gras. On a floured surface roll 1 pound of the puff paste into a rectangle about 20- by 12- inches, or large enough to enclose the fillet completely, invert the coated fillet carefully under the middle of the dough, and fold up the long sides of the dough to enclose the fillet brushing the edges of the dough with some of the egg white to seal them.

Fold ends of the dough over the fillet and seal them with the remaining egg white. Transfer the fillet, seam side down to a jelly-roll pan or shallow roasting pan and brush the dough with some of the egg wash. Roll out the additional dough and cut the shapes with decorative cutters. Arrange the cutouts on the dough decoratively, brush them with the remaining egg wash, and chill the fillet for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours. Bake the fillet in the middle of a preheated 400°F oven for 30 minutes, reduce the heat to 350°, and bake the fillet for 5 to 10 minutes more, or until the meat thermometer registers 130°F. for medium-rare meat and the pastry is cooked through.

Let the fillet stand for 15 minutes.
In a saucepan boil the reserved pan juices and the Madeira until the mixture is reduced by one fourth. Add the arrowroot mixture, the broth, the truffles, and salt and pepper to taste and cook the sauce over moderate heat, stirring, being careful not to let it boil, for 5 minutes, or until it is thickened. Loosen the fillet from the jelly-roll pan, transfer it with two spatulas to a heated platter, and garnish it with watercress. Serve the fillet, cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices, with the sauce.

http://skdd.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/paula-dean-foodnetwork-ip0406_beef-wellington_with_oyster_pate.jpg

easy cheesy
03-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Grilled Pork Chops with Grilled Peach Salsa Recipe
For the grilled Peaches:
4 Southern Peaches (must be very ripe) halved and pitted
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Pure Cane Syrup
2 tsp Creole Seasoning
1 tsp Kosher Salt

Additional grill prep for the salsa:
1 Roasted Red Pepper,
1/2 of a large Vidalia Onion, cut into 1/2″ slices and rubber with olive oil

Warm a gas or charcoal grill to 350-400 degrees F.
Toss all of the above ingredients together, making sure to coat the peaches well. Grill the peaches flat side down until they start to caramelize and get some grill marks, flip them over skin side down onto a cooler spot of the grill to finish warming through. At the same time, roast your pepper on the grill until the skin is black all over, and grill the Vidalia Onion slices.

When the peaches are warmed through and softened remove the skins and slice lengthwise, place into a medium sized bowl. Also peel, seed, and slice the roasted Red pepper into strips; Chop the grilled Vidalia Onion.

Grilled Southern Peach Salsa Recipe
4 Grilled Southern Peaches (see above)
1 Roasted Red Pepper, sliced (see above)
1/2 Grilled Vidalia Onion, chopped (see above)
2 tsp Pure Cane Syrup
3 Tbsp Fresh Basil, chopped
Kosher Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients while still hot, serve at room temperature.
Grilled Pork Chops with Grilled Peach Salsa Recipe

4 Bone in, thick cut Pork Chops
1 Recipe Seasoning Mix (see below)
1 Recipe Apricot Glaze (see below)
1 Recipe Grilled Peach Salsa
Seasoning mix:
1 Tbsp Creole Seasoning
1 Tbsp Kosher Salt (if using commercial creole seasoning omit)
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 tsp Black Pepper
Combine.

Apricot Glaze:
3 Tbsp Apricot Preserves
1 Tbsp Pure Cane Syrup
1 Tbsp Creole Mustard

Combine all ingredients.

Season the pork chops liberally with some of the seasoning mix.
Preheat a Charcoal or Gas grill to 400 degrees F with a pan going with smoldering wood chips (This recipe uses Pecan chips). When hot, grill the Pork chops to desired degree of doneness, this recipe goes to medium- about 140 degrees. Brush the chops with the apricot glaze, let it warm a bit and remove the chops. This recipe calls for taking the chops off at about 132 degrees to allow for carryover cooking. They were a perfect medium at the table.

Top the glazed chops with a generous portion of the warm Peach Salsa, make sure to drizzle some of the liquid as well. Enjoy!

http://sp.life123.com/bm.pix/grilled-pork-chop-recipes.s600x600.jpg

easy cheesy
04-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Lobster Bisque

Ingredients

3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
2 tablespoons chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped celery
2 tablespoons chopped carrot
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 pound cooked lump lobster meat

Directions

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, celery, and carrot. Cook and stir until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, and season with salt and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
Pour the vegetable and broth mixture into the container of a blender, and add 1/4 cup of the lobster meat. Cover, and process until smooth. Return to the saucepan, and stir in the half-and-half, white wine, and remaining lobster meat. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently until thickened, about 30 minutes.

easy cheesy
04-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Steak Diane Recipe from "21" in New York

INGREDIENTS:

1 (16-ounce size) boneless shell steak (also called New York strip steak, short loin or sirloin strip)
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
3 tablespoons finely minced shallots
6 tablespoons cognac or other good brandy, divided
2 tablespoons dry white wine or dry vermouth
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (preferably imported)
2 tablespoons A-1 steak sauce
1/2 cup beef broth
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons finely snipped chives

PREPARATION:

Trim all outside fat off the steak. The steak should now weigh about 12 ounces.

Cut the steak in half horizontally, creating 2 6-ounce steaks. Pound the steaks lightly to flatten them to 1/4-inch thick. Season them liberally on both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Heat a 12-inch skillet until a drop of water dances on the surface. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter. As soon as the foam subsides, add the seasoned meat. Cook on each side for 1 minute. Remove to a plate. Immediately adjust the heat under the pan to low.

Add the second tablespoon of butter and the shallots. Saute the shallots for 1 minute. Increase the heat to high. Add 3 tablespoons cognac and flambe, if desired. Add the wine, and with a wooden spoon, scrape up any browning in the pan (deglaze the pan). Stir in the mustard and A-1 sauce.

Cook for about a minute, or until the liquid is reduced to a syrup. Add the broth and continue to boil for about a minute, until reduced to a few tablespoons. Add the cream and stir well to incorporate. Boil a few seconds.

Taste for seasoning and add freshly ground pepper to taste. Add the remaining cognac and ignite. When the flames die down, stir in the chives, taste for salt and pepper, and adjust if necessary. Add the reserved steaks and their juices (that have accumulated on the plate) to the simmering sauce. Turn the steaks in the sauce a couple of times, as the sauce reduces a little more. Place the steaks on individual plates. Divide the sauce on the steaks. Serve with mashed potatoes or brown rice, and some bread to mop up the sauce.

easy cheesy
04-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Freak Out's Mac and Cheese Recipe.... (I've tried it and it's nom, nom, nom!)

1. Macaroni and Cheese

When preparing the following pastas in advance (up to six hours), keep them covered and chilled and then let them come to room temperature before baking.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8 as entrée or 8 to 10 as a side dish

7 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
1 pound elbow macaroni
3 cups coarsely grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese (about 12 ounces)
1 1/3 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 4 ounces)
1 cup fresh bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350°F. and butter a 3- to 4-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish.
In a heavy saucepan melt 6 tablespoons butter over moderately low heat. Add flour and cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes. Add milk in a stream, whisking, and bring to a boil, whisking. Add mustard, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer sauce, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
In a kettle of salted boiling water cook macaroni until just al dente, about 7 minutes, and drain well. In a large bowl stir together macaroni, sauce, Cheddar, and 1 cup Parmesan and transfer to prepared dish.
In a small bowl stir together bread crumbs and remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan and sprinkle evenly over macaroni. Cut remaining 1 tablespoon butter into bits and scatter over topping.
Bake macaroni in middle of oven 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.

http://www.macaroni-and-cheese.net/wp-content/uploads/macaroni-and-cheese.jpg

easy cheesy
04-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Too lazy too look back and see if I posted this... don't think so... but it's NOM!

Lobster Thermidor

Ingredients

1 medium (1 1/2 pound) cooked lobster
2 tablespoons butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 3/8 cups fresh fish stock
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup double cream
1/2 teaspoon hot English mustard
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

Cut the lobster in half lengthwise, and remove the meat from the claws and tail. Leave to one side. Remove any meat from the head and set aside. Cut the meat up into pieces and place back into the shell.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot; cook and stir until tender. Mix in the fish stock, white wine and double cream. Bring to a boil, and cook until reduced by half. Mix in the mustard, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper.
Preheat your oven's broiler.
Place the lobster halves on a broiling pan or baking sheet, and spoon the sauce over the lobster meat in the shell. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top.
Broil for 3 to 4 minutes, just until golden brown. Serve immediately.

SnakeLH2006
04-12-2011, 03:28 AM
I dunno about classy dishes, but a girl I worked with for the last 10 years had her son go into an epileptic seizure and is in a coma. Her husband lost his job. Really bad shit. I donated tons of cash and cards and cooked them Snake's Beer Chili (beer was the only liquid...brats..hamburger..celery...onions..etc.) and sent a nice card. Made her day.

Snake can cook anything. Used to be a sautee expert..still am. But am excited to fire up the grill summer. Fired up my crotchrocket today and my grill...Bratwurst mania.

My girl is so classy and loves to the top-notch expensive restuarants in my area. I still take her cuz I love her, but I cook anything and have a background in it.

Just made Lobster Bisque last night:

LOBSTER BISQUE 2 live chicken lobsters (1 lb. each)
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
3 bay leaves
1/2 lb. butter
2 quarts water
1/4 cup flour
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sherry
1/4 cup brandy
white pepper and salt, to taste
Place the lobsters in a large heavy pot. Cover with salted water. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer 10 to 12 minutes more. Drain and plunge into cold water to arrest further cooking. Extract the meat, chop it and set it aside.Place the lobsters' remains in a roasting pan with the onion, celery, carrot, bay leaves and butter. Roast in a preheated 400°F oven for 45 minutes.
Remove from the oven and strain off the butter into a heavy saucepan. Place the remaining contents of the roasting pan into the 2 quarts water and boil until the liquid is reduced by half. Strain the stock.
Heat the butter in the saucepan. Add the flour and cook the roux for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the stock and blend well. Then add the cream, Sherry and brandy.
Simmer slowly for 30 minutes. Season with white pepper and salt to taste.
Strain the bisque and add the lobster meat.

SnakeLH2006
04-12-2011, 03:34 AM
Any Italian food never fails...Manicotti is awesome always:

CHEESE MANICOTTI WITH SPINACH Try this easy version of a popular Italian dish. It can be made in advance and refrigerated until baking - a plus if you are preparing it for a guest meal. Preparation time: 25 minutes. Baking time: 25 to 30 minutes. Oven temperature: 350 degrees.
FOR 4 SERVINGS YOU WILL NEED:
8 manicotti shells
2 c. sm. curd cottage cheese
1 pkg. (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. chopped parsley
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 green onion, sliced
1/8 tsp. salt
2 c. marinara sauce or 1 jar or can (15 oz.) marinara sauce
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach
Parsley sprigs
1. Cook manicotti shells in boiling, salted water until barely tender as directed on the package. Rinse with cold water. Drain.2. Combine cottage cheese, cream cheese, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, parsley, egg, onion and salt; mixing well.
3. Fill shells with cheese mixture. Arrange in lightly oiled baking dish or pan. Cover with marinara sauce. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cook spinach as directed on package. Drain well. Spoon down center of manicotti just before serving. Garnish with parsley.
Good served with: A green salad with Italian dressing and Italian or French bread.