PDA

View Full Version : Billboard reading "Trade Brett" defaced

GBRulz
05-22-2006, 10:05 AM
This was posted on Favre's official site by his pilot, David. I had not heard of this until now.

Billboard reading "Trade Brett" defaced with paint
Associated Press
JANESVILLE, Wis. - Someone apparently didn't approve of a green billboard that read "Trade Brett!" in gold letters.

Over the weekend, someone slathered red paint over the word "Trade" on the billboard, presumably about the Green Bay Packers beloved quarterback Brett Favre.

The vandalism is upsetting, said Kevin Cook, an agent with the Babcock Advertising agency responsible for the sign that went up May 2.

"That is our property that they're defacing, and the property of the client," he said, declining to identify the client.

There was some speculation the billboard was a publicity stunt by a trading-card company hoping to encourage people to trade Brett Favre football cards.

A similar billboard had appeared less than a mile from the San Francisco Giants' baseball park in April. That black-and-orange sign read "Trade Barry!" presumably a reference to Giants' slugger Barry Bonds.

Trading-card company Topps later revealed it sponsored the California billboard, which was later updated to read "Trade Barry's Cards with Topps!" in the second stage of a planned advertising campaign featuring images of Bonds cards.

A spokesman for the New York-based Topps did not immediately return a call by The Associated Press on Monday.

Updated: May 17
Message changed on controversial Janesville billboard

(Published Wednesday, May 17, 2006 12:44:18 PM CDT)

Some of the speculation surrounding a controversial Janesville billboard appears to have been correct.

For several weeks, a billboard located on the 2000 block of Milton Avenue carried the message: "TRADE BRETT," in apparent reference to longtime Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre, who announced in late April that he's returning to the team to play another year.

But this week, the message on the billboard was changed. In smaller letters, it now reads "Trade Brett's Cards," along with three images of Favre trading cards.

And who sponsored the message? Kryptonite Kollectibles, 3000 Milton Ave., a sports collectibles store.

Within hours of the sign's debut May 2, curiosity prompted more than 40 people to call Babcock Advertising, which owns the sign. Kevin Cook, the Babcock Advertising account executive for the billboard, would not say at the time who rented the sign.

Another 40 passersby questioned Cook on the street while the "TRADE BRETT" board was being put up.

The sign raised enough ire that somebody slathered red paint over the word "TRADE" on the billboard last weekend.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/favrebillboard051506.jpg

Scott Campbell
05-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Another example of man's inhumanity to man. I'm sure the police will get right on it.

MadtownPacker
05-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Great work by the artist. Maybe it was Skinbasket?

The Leaper
05-22-2006, 10:46 AM
That has texaspackerbacker written...er, painted...all over it.

ND72
05-22-2006, 12:24 PM
my former college roommate is from Milton by Janesville, and has a store near that sign i guess...he said he personally laughed at it, cause overall he doesn't like Brett Favre, and never has, but also, because he knew who did the billboard.

Little Whiskey
05-22-2006, 12:42 PM
i believe they were talking about this store last week or so on 620 wtmj out of milwaukee.