PDA

View Full Version : Norv Turner fires James Lofton as WR coach

motife
01-22-2008, 06:43 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080122-1152-bn22lofton.html
LOFTON GETS THE HEAVE-HO

Chargers receivers coach James Lofton is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and he has been considered in the past for head-coaching gigs.

But now, he's unemployed.

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, the Chargers fired Lofton on Tuesday. He got the news from head coach Norv Turner.

"I don't have any idea," Lofton said as to the reason for the move. "I was stunned. He just said he was going in a different direction."

It's possible (and we're only speculating here) that Lofton was trying to muster support to take over the team, in the event that Turner happened to be relieved of his duties at some point during the 2007 season. And it's possible that Turner caught wind of it, opting to bide his time until the season ended. Now that Turner has taken the team to an AFC title game, he can begin to impose his agenda.

Regardless of the actual reason for the termination, the move doesn't make much sense. Vincent Jackson has developed into the next great NFL receiver (along with Greg Jennings), and Chris Chambers recently said that Lofton is "one of the greatest receiving coaches in the game."

packinpatland
01-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Could we use him?

BallHawk
01-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Czar Turner makes his move.

I don't know why TT would bring him in or even why Lofton would come here. Our WR did great this season under the instruction of Jimmy Robinson. Don't change what's working.

MJZiggy
01-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Czar Turner makes his move.

I don't know why TT would bring him in or even why Lofton would come here. Our WR did great this season under the instruction of Jimmy Robinson. Don't change what's working.

Never mind...

Scott Campbell
01-22-2008, 07:55 PM
I doubt Lofton could come here given his history in the stairwell.

motife
01-22-2008, 08:33 PM
I doubt Lofton could come here given his history in the stairwell.

he just copped a feel. big deal. why would anyone complain about that?