PDA

View Full Version : Should Brett hang em' up, revisited

crosbiegrad
01-23-2008, 11:53 AM
SO let me start off by saying I want the old man back for atleast one more but I am writing a one page paper for my english class and I need to present both sides of the argument and I thought to myself. where better to get some help than from my brothers and sisters at PR!!! Obviously, all opinions are welcome and appreciated,thanks

MJZiggy
01-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Are you looking from Favre's perspective, or a fan's perspective? They make two very different arguments.

crosbiegrad
01-23-2008, 12:04 PM
From a fans perspective would be best, I think

The Leaper
01-23-2008, 12:12 PM
FOR:

- Both he and his team played at a very high level last season, and are likely to do so again next season.
- His family supports his career intensely.

AGAINST:

- Playing at age 38/39 is difficult on the body and could reduce his quality of life down the road.
- Has nothing left to prove.

crosbiegrad
01-23-2008, 12:14 PM
thanks leaper, thats the kind of stuff I'm looking for, I would just like to get a general feel of how the pack faithful see rather than just my own perspective

crosbiegrad
01-23-2008, 12:15 PM
thanks leaper, thats the kind of stuff I'm looking for, I would just like to get a general feel of how the pack faithful see rather than just my own perspective

MJZiggy
01-23-2008, 12:18 PM
For: he has one season and one game to break the all-time consecutive starts record for any position in the NFL (his favorite stat by the way)

They are good enough to compete for a Super Bowl still

Against: When he seems to want to be there and is happy and loose and having fun, he does great. When he tightens up he has games like Dallas. Problem is, you never know which it's gonna be.

You'd rather see him go out at the top of his game instead of watching his skills POSSIBLY fade and his effectiveness diminish.

Harlan Huckleby
01-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Unfortunately, I think we'll have to see Favre have a bad season before he retires. I just don't see him leaving until he has no choice. He's a guy that wants to stay in games when the score is 40-10.

Patler
01-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Favre is no different than any other athlete. There are only two factors that are relevant to the question of whether or not he should continue to play:

1. Does he still have the ability to play?
2. Does he still have the desire to play?

Both have to be answered "yes". Nothing else matters. If both are "yes" and he does not play, at some point he will regret his decision. If one is "no" and he does play, he will also regret it.

Going out on top, achieving records, playing on a good team or on a bad team are really irrelevant to the overriding questions of; Can he play? and Does he want to play?

MJZiggy
01-23-2008, 12:33 PM
While you're absolutely right, Patler, that is looking at the question from Favre's perspective. From a fan's point of view, we have no idea about Favre's desire to play. We can see that he still CAN play at a high level, but not so much whether he wants to. It's just a guess to say that he does.

Patler
01-23-2008, 12:41 PM
While you're absolutely right, Patler, that is looking at the question from Favre's perspective. From a fan's point of view, we have no idea about Favre's desire to play. We can see that he still CAN play at a high level, but not so much whether he wants to. It's just a guess to say that he does.

That is why I rarely enter a discussion of what a player "should' do. Only on occasion is it obvious. For example, it was apparent last year that Henderson should retire, his blocking abilities had degraded significantly. That is not the case with Favre. He seems to still have the ability to play. Whether he "should" play becomes only a personal question for himself. If he wants to, he should; if he doesn't want to, he shouldn't.

Now if someone were to ask what we think he will do, I would offer my opinion.

Partial
01-23-2008, 01:17 PM
1) 10+ million dollars

MJZiggy
01-23-2008, 01:47 PM

That is why I rarely enter a discussion of what a player "should' do. Only on occasion is it obvious. For example, it was apparent last year that Henderson should retire, his blocking abilities had degraded significantly. That is not the case with Favre. He seems to still have the ability to play. Whether he "should" play becomes only a personal question for himself. If he wants to, he should; if he doesn't want to, he shouldn't.

Now if someone were to ask what we think he will do, I would offer my opinion.

I wonder what we think he will do... :whist:

Patler
01-23-2008, 02:20 PM

I think he will retire.

Ballboy
01-23-2008, 02:21 PM
I look at from an almost selfish angle.

I'm at peace right now if Brett would retire. Seems at this point in the Packer organization we are set to continue to suceed with or without him. Case in point is the defense. They were considered and played very well for the year. They, wit the exception of DB are young and will only continue to get better.

As for the offense, here too youth is served well. Jennings and Jones are young stars in the making at WR. Grant maybe the real deal(nest year will show for sure) and the OL has a mix of young players, Wells, Spitz, Coston, Moll with Clifton & Tauscher who both should play for two or three more years.

Don't get me wrong, I want Brett back......who besides Bear fans wouldn't? Rogers and whatever veteran they would bring in should be able to work in the run based short passing game frame that McCarthy has laid out. TT has it right, defense wins championships. I would guess that the first pick he has this year would be a defensive player.

Jerry Tagge
01-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Favre should retire so Aaron Rodgers - a/k/a Rex Grossman with facial hair - can lead the Packers back to the days of David Whitehurst, Carlos Brown, Jim Del Gaizo, Scott Hunter, Rich Campbell, Anthony Dilweg, and, well, me.

Zool
01-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Randy Wright?

Jerry Tagge
01-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Randy Wright?
Well, I don't think he's THAT bad.

b bulldog
01-23-2008, 04:47 PM
No he shouldn't but with all he has accomplished in his career, how much does that fire still burn inside? In the cold, it looks as though the first thing he thinks about is getting warm and before the Bears game when he told Aikman that he'd be lucky to complete 5 passes, what was that all about :shock:

fan4life
01-23-2008, 06:29 PM
I think Brett Favre wants very much to play.
But I also think Brett Favre doesn't want to play on a team, in the cold of Lambeau and wind in Chicago, when his ability to throw downfield out of a naked shotgun is the only hope the team has to win.

I think he will retire unless there is a serious commitment to upgrading the guard play on the O-line and developing a power runnning game.

So to answer your question:
Argument against retiring: the organization indicates they are ready to make a couple of free agency (and possible coaching) moves to develop a power running game to complement the passing game, which they intend to limit to the 20-25 attempts/game range next year.

Argument for retiring: the organization indicates they are satisfied riding Favre's arm until it falls off (or he can no longer dodge oncomming pass rushers) because it is committed to improving strictly through the draft. They tell him they intend to give a couple more late-round draft picks and unsigned free agents a couple more years to prove they can't run or run block.

Have fun writing your paper.

Bretsky
01-23-2008, 08:54 PM

I think he will retire.

Please stop with your predictions :wink: ;

we just might blame the Giant win on the Patler Whammy :!:

gbgary
01-23-2008, 09:40 PM
the last three years i, and most everyone, figured he'd retire and was surprised each time when he didn't. this year he played very well, the team went far, he got his records and most everyone expects him to return including me, so....i'll bet he surprises us again and retires.

packers11
01-23-2008, 10:04 PM
I think he will come back for one more year...

Like he said in 2003...

SUPERBOWL OR BUST...

2009 SUPERBOWL here we come!!!

Merlin
01-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Family plays a lot into this decision. There is no question that he enjoys playing the game and that he can play the game at a level of that of a top 5 QB in the NFL. The family part, all indications has been that his family is behind him 100% regardless of the decision he makes. There are some parts of the game he truly hates, like OTA's and training camp. I don't think those will affect his decision. He is one season and I think a game or two away from breaking the all time consecutive starts record, and we know how little he cares about records. But in this case to him it means his team could depend on him more then any other player in NFL history to be there on game day. He also has his future health to consider. But you would have to question how serious that is for him when he is carrying WR's around and racing 90 yards to celebrate a TD. He did his first Lambeau leap this season as well.

I guess with all of the fun everyone saw him have, the potential to win the super bowl, and his family's support, it would seem obvious that he will come back. However, I agree that he could throw us a curveball and hang em up because the last 2-3 seasons you would have thought he was going to retire and didn't.

The Leaper
01-24-2008, 10:34 AM
When he signed what basically was his final contract extension in 2001, he said he didn't see himself playing past 2006.

Well, he did.

Outside of the grind on his body, there really is no reason for him to retire now. I've always maintained that he made the decision after the 2005 season to leave it all on the field...because if he was going to retire prior to that point, he would've done so right then and there after a 4-12 season where the team was obviously going to have to re-tool.

He still is a top QB in the league.

He still is playing on one of the top teams in the league.

I can't see a competitor like Favre possibly walking away now.

woodbuck27
01-24-2008, 03:48 PM
For: he has one season and one game to break the all-time consecutive starts record for any position in the NFL (his favorite stat by the way)

They are good enough to compete for a Super Bowl still

Against: When he seems to want to be there and is happy and loose and having fun, he does great. When he tightens up he has games like Dallas. Problem is, you never know which it's gonna be.

You'd rather see him go out at the top of his game instead of watching his skills POSSIBLY fade and his effectiveness diminish.

Yup.

I'm totally ready now for Brett Favre to announce his retirement. I doubt that TT will do little more than he did last season to help Favre and Brett knows he can't get closer than this season's miserable finish.

If he comes back next season he should hope for more help fr. his GM.

With talk of a 5 year extention for MM and the extention TT just got. Brett should base his decision to come back or not on is what is TT and MM's forecast to get to, and possibly win a Super Bowl next season,

What is their projection for a Super Bowl victory. The concecutive games stretch record is past next season plus one game into 2009. Favre doesn't play for records but rather the fun of it. .the RUSH and to win it all.

NOT to be placed under a microscope.

I almost expect and want Favre to retire now so we'll see what we really have. Why would he stay on if it's not just a love of the game and it's not just been that as I've ovserved him,

PACKERS FOREVER!

SkinBasket
01-24-2008, 03:59 PM
I doubt that TT will do little more than he did last season to help Favre and Brett knows he can't get closer than this season's miserable finish.

http://www.myalcaponemuseum.com/5bbc5540.jpg

The Shadow
01-24-2008, 04:03 PM
doubt that TT will do little more than he did last season to help Favre [/b]and Brett knows he can't get closer than this season's miserable finish.

If he comes back next season he should hope for more help fr. his GM.
.................................................. ................................................
Well now, it didn't take all that long for the same old tired tune to return.
And, I seem to have missed it : did Thompson actually throw that gift interception to end the season???

crosbiegrad
01-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for all the help guys and gals but my professor decided that Brett's decision did not have an effect on the general public, so I'm gonna do my paper on illegal immigration, being a legal immigrant and all. Honestly, what effects the mood of millions of americans on a weekly basis? Ole #4 or aliens?!!!

packinpatland
01-24-2008, 04:15 PM
What kind of class is this paper for? And what could a professor know?????
:roll:

Patler
01-24-2008, 08:26 PM

Yup! And remember my prediction of National Championships for both the UW Men's and Womens hockey programs a couple seasons ago?

Patler has spoken!!! :bs:

GBRulz
01-24-2008, 08:34 PM
He did his first Lambeau leap this season as well.

Merlin, I have to nit pick and point out that he did his leap last season. It was at the AZ game and it happened directly in front of me just a few rows down. I'll never, ever forget that day !!!!!! :P

MJZiggy
01-24-2008, 08:40 PM

Yup! And remember my prediction of National Championships for both the UW Men's and Womens hockey programs a couple seasons ago?

Patler has spoken!!! :bs:

There's a women's hockey program?

Patler
01-24-2008, 08:50 PM
There's a women's hockey program?

Yes, a very good one, coached by Mark Johnson, Badger Bob's son.
(Am I missing something in your comment???)

MJZiggy
01-24-2008, 09:01 PM
No, you're actually posting with someone who didn't know her alma mater had a basketball program until it made the Sweet 16. :roll:

They didn't have a football team. Who would have thought they'd have a basketball program? I guess I was just overly focused on academics and working.

KYPack
01-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks for all the help guys and gals but my professor decided that Brett's decision did not have an effect on the general public, so I'm gonna do my paper on illegal immigration, being a legal immigrant and all. Honestly, what effects the mood of millions of americans on a weekly basis? Ole #4 or aliens?!!!

7 years of college down the drain!

fan4life
01-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks for all the help guys and gals but my professor decided that Brett's decision did not have an effect on the general public, so I'm gonna do my paper on illegal immigration, being a legal immigrant and all. Honestly, what effects the mood of millions of americans on a weekly basis? Ole #4 or aliens?!!! You obviously don't go to school in Wisconsin, where the governor will declare a day of mourning and the flags fly at half-mast, if Favre announces his retirement at any place other than a post-SB victory party!

CaliforniaCheez
01-25-2008, 09:40 PM
I dislike this thread.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/dribehtpilf/yikes3-1.gif