PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Rogers To Be Released Or Traded By Lions

Joemailman
01-23-2008, 06:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3210519&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Should be interesting to see what happens with Rogers. Definitely a risk/reward situation.

Scott Campbell
01-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Hmmm. A guy like that at his full potential could make a team forget Corey Williams pretty quickly.

BallHawk
01-23-2008, 07:21 PM
I'd love TT so sign him.

However, you cannot use him like you use Pickett or Williams. Rogers should only play somewhere around 20 snaps a game. If you overuse him, like the Lions have, he loses his motivation as well as his effectiveness (they go hand in hand with each other.)

As many have said, if Pickett and Rogers are both on the field it's going to be pretty damn hard for people to run up the middle.

Bossman641
01-23-2008, 07:36 PM
I'd take Rodgers in a heartbeat. With our rotation at DT, he'd be able to get plenty of rest.

Freak Out
01-23-2008, 07:52 PM
He'd like playing on a winner for a change.

b bulldog
01-23-2008, 07:54 PM
BEST POINT on this topic was he will be playing on a winner and winning seems to motivate guys.

RashanGary
01-23-2008, 07:58 PM
You'd have to talk to him and see how serious he is about football. If his attitude is OK, I'd do it.

mission
01-23-2008, 08:11 PM
You'd have to talk to him and see how serious he is about football. If his attitude is OK, I'd do it.

ya! ask him if he's motivated.

if he says 'yes', sign him!

thank gid we have TT :P

Carolina_Packer
01-23-2008, 08:26 PM

Hmm, what are the chances of him being honest and saying no if he isn't REALLY motivated to work, but IS motivated to collect a paycheck? Can you imagine if a team signed him after getting his promise and caught him loafing and then said, "Hey, you said you were motivated, Shaun!" And he says, "Yeah, I was motivated to get the hell out of Detroit!"

CaliforniaCheez
01-23-2008, 09:20 PM
I worry about what motivates such a guy.

I think there is some bad thinking there.

Would he show up to play in a January game?? Ted has to find players that will.

pbmax
01-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Forget the motivation question. Can he stay healthy?

His weight is up and he has two injuries that will likely reoccur.

Not going to happen unless the market for him bottoms out.

mission
01-23-2008, 10:02 PM

Hmm, what are the chances of him being honest and saying no if he isn't REALLY motivated to work, but IS motivated to collect a paycheck? Can you imagine if a team signed him after getting his promise and caught him loafing and then said, "Hey, you said you were motivated, Shaun!" And he says, "Yeah, I was motivated to get the hell out of Detroit!"

sarcasm sensor broken today? :wink:

packers11
01-23-2008, 10:03 PM
who is ever motivated playing for the lions??? :lol:

the_idle_threat
01-24-2008, 04:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2gWVRwLT-w

CaliforniaCheez
01-24-2008, 06:04 AM
You all are much more positive than Lions fans.

Reading their boards they want him kept because there is no replacement or they hope to get a 4th or 5th round pick.

I think this leak is meant to motivate.

The Leaper
01-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Like Oakland, Detroit is a black hole for players. That defense has been horrible for years. At some point, that has to wear on you as a player. What leaders are there on the Lions defense?

I can't forgive a guy for not giving 100%, which seemed to happen to Rogers in the 2nd half of 2007. However...as Chris Rock once said...I can understand it.

However, we have a ton of talent at DT. Jolly and Harrell are both waiting in the wings. Would Rogers be happy in a heavy rotation? I just think there are too many questions about the deal for Thompson to really give it serious consideration.

Joemailman
01-24-2008, 09:18 AM
If there isn't a lot of interest in Rogers, as was the case with Woodson, TT might jump in, especially if Corey Williams bolts. This season showed you can't have too much depth at DT.

Deputy Nutz
01-24-2008, 09:19 AM

He looks like a motivated fullback to me.

This guy is a really good athlete cut out of the mold of guys like Grady Jackson, and Pat Williams. Going into the season he was one of the top 5 defensive tackles in football. If he was injured and playing for the Lions I expect a drop of in play. He is not real old probably 28 or 29.

The Leaper
01-24-2008, 09:20 AM
If there isn't a lot of interest in Rogers, as was the case with Woodson, TT might jump in, especially if Corey Williams bolts. This season showed you can't have too much depth at DT.

Yeah, that would be the only situation where Thompson might make a run at him. However, Rogers has too much talent and is too young for him not to get some sizeable interest from someone if he gets cut.

Carolina_Packer
01-24-2008, 10:20 AM

That was a very athletic play where he showed good reflexes and power. The big questions on him are always going to be his conditioning/weight and his attitude/motivation. If he were picked up, used judiciously to maximize what he can do and he were part of a dominant D, who knows. Guys can change.

Partial
01-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Considering we're going to be facing Adrian Peterson for the next couple of years at least, I say try to sign Rodgers when he gets cut.

BallHawk
01-24-2008, 11:14 AM
It seems like everybody on here is for signing him.

That can only mean one thing.....

TT will not sign him.

Freak Out
01-24-2008, 11:29 AM
The only way TT signs him is if Harrell gets hurt in the next couple of months.

Harlan Huckleby
01-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Do you think Harrell is a cornerstone of their plans? They may be hopeful about him, but I doubt they are certain he will be a starter.

b bulldog
01-24-2008, 05:28 PM
I want Shaun in Packerland

Bretsky
01-24-2008, 06:36 PM
It seems like everybody on here is for signing him.

That can only mean one thing.....

TT will not sign him.

I didn't even say it :lol:

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-24-2008, 06:48 PM
But do we really want to sign a guy at a position that will have at least three good players next year? Why not sign a high priced free agent at another weaker position.

Bretsky
01-24-2008, 06:51 PM
But do we really want to sign a guy at a position that will have at least three good players next year? Why not sign a high priced free agent at another weaker position.

If Rodgers goes high priced TT won't sign him. A bang for da Buck Rodgers for a year or two wouldn't be bad after we lose Williams. I'm not convinced we'll see a high priced free agent. I'd be for a solid one on the OL though

b bulldog
01-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Rogers has tons more talent than Williams but Williams has a much bigger motor so far.