PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Fighting

Harlan Huckleby
05-22-2006, 04:25 PM
OK, I'm a little slow on the uptake. I just learned what this stuff is about from a special on ESPN.

I know why people like it. Hell, if I was driving down the road, and saw a gang fight, I'd watch it. And I couldn't turn away from the action last night.

It bothers me though. There is something different between the violence in Extreme Fighting and football, or even boxing. Those guys are mercilessly trying to injure their opponent. It's really more like war than sport. Sport is done for.... sport, even if it is rough. I like John McCain's description: human cockfighting.

Who likes extreme fighting? I've seen the Chuck Liddel talk and avatar, so I suppose it's lots of you guys. Do people over 40 like EF?

swede
05-22-2006, 04:31 PM
...human cockfighting...

You boys in the back! Settle down! What's so funny?

Harlan Huckleby
05-22-2006, 04:43 PM
you're thinking of "sword fighting"

Little Whiskey
05-23-2006, 08:40 AM
i thnk you need to get nutz in on this discussion, i think he is the resident EF expert.

Harlan Huckleby
05-23-2006, 10:55 AM
ya, Nutz has gone shy.

Bunches of people like EF, they're hiding too. Hell, Patler came forward to talk about his cross-dressing. I've talked about my fetishes. What's so embarassing about liking to watch guys beat each other to death?

MadtownPacker
05-23-2006, 11:07 AM
You are just a little sheltered bitch who hasnt had enough violence in his life other then all the damage to your wrist.

Just wait until I go visit you and them you will get your fill of chingasos.

Harlan Huckleby
05-23-2006, 11:14 AM
You want a piece of me, punk?

http://cinemafriki.bitacoras.com/imaxes/1888.jpg

Deputy Nutz
05-23-2006, 11:52 AM
The correct term is Mixed Martial Arts. Extreme Fighting brings a connotation that there are no rules. Infact they are now rules that govern the sport in the United States and in Japan. There have been zero deaths in the UFC or in Pride Fighting, there have been zero kneck injuries or severe head trama in the UFC. Sure there are really bad cuts and bruises, along with broken limbs and torn tendons, but the fighters are well protected against serious injury by referees how will side with safety before allowing action that could cause permanant injury to the fighters. Boxing allows fighters to stand up and keep fight after they have been knocked down and in most cases knocked out. Boxing officials will let these fighters continue fighting, and that is when serious and permanent injury happens.

MMA has been held to extreme regulations to allow it to be held and authorized by athletic commissions across the country. California has just allowed it. Which is huge for the sport.

John McCain is a stuge. If he would actually do some investigating into the sport he might find out the truth. Like all politicans they like to come to opinions on things before doing any research.

Harlan Huckleby
05-23-2006, 02:26 PM
"Mixed Martial Arts" sounds like you got men and women together in tag teams.

OK, Nutz, you make a spirited defense. On ESPN special, they kept refering to it as "Extreme Fighting Championship", so guess they haven't gotten the word.

Deputy Nutz
05-23-2006, 03:08 PM
EFC might be an actual association, I am not sure.

This used to be a sport that was underground, no rules, no regulations. People were getting killed and severly hurt. In this sense it is illegal.
Hell there is underground stick fighting in California where guys beat each other sensless with sawed off broom sticks, ever see Rambo III?

I didn't catch the ESPN show on MMA, I wish I had, but they probably show little respect for it since they missed the boat on it when the UFC was looking for a cable network to pimp The Ultimate Fighter, and show past fights and live fights.

I come from a wrestling background, so MMA is a lot more entertaining for me than watching boxing. To each his own. I am predicting that in the next five years MMA will be a bigger draw than boxing.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Wanna know what's illegal? The WWE, World Wrestling Entertainment. Every one there is on steroid, even the owner Vince McMahon, and the fights are so fake Los Vegas outlawed gambling on the sport.

Badgepack
05-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Fake?, No way.

Deputy Nutz
05-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Hey Tank, I guess you shouldn't be betting on WWE matches anymore.

Harlan Huckleby
05-23-2006, 11:48 PM
The ESPN special on EF was very balanced. They pointed out it is growing somewhat out of the young male demographic, and that they don't have worse medical problems than say, boxing.

But what bothered me was watching one guy sitting on top of another guy, who was face down, and punching him in the head. I just don't know those guys aren't going to get brain damage from that sorta trauma.

Bossman641
05-24-2006, 07:31 AM
Although I'm not a huge UFC fan I watch it quite a bit when I'm flipping channels and see it on. From what I understand, the sport has been cleaned up alot over the past couple of years.

Although I've seen a few guys take pretty good beatings, it seems like the refs tend to stop the fights too soon rather than too late. I think the sport will blow up in the next few years.

SkinBasket
05-24-2006, 08:00 AM
The ESPN special on EF was very balanced. They pointed out it is growing somewhat out of the young male demographic, and that they don't have worse medical problems than say, boxing.

But what bothered me was watching one guy sitting on top of another guy, who was face down, and punching him in the head. I just don't know those guys aren't going to get brain damage from that sorta trauma.

HH, if you compare the "old timers" from UFC to the "old timers" from boxing, you'll see that even when it was less regulated, far less lasting damage was done to these guys. Hell, the worst thing most of these guys have got is the disgusting califlower ear.

I've watched boxing and to a lesser extent MMA over the past 10 years, and at this point, there is no comparison. Boxing is about on par with WWE, although it has improved slightly in the past year or two. MMA is safer, more entertaining, and you'll get to see an actual fight decided by the fighters, not a demonstration of fisticuffs that ends with the loser winning by split decision.

Deputy Nutz
05-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Hell, the worst thing most of these guys have got is the disgusting califlower ear.

Hell where I come from thats a badge of honor.

I could never get it. When I was in the 7th grade I started getting a good build up in my ear, and then my mom saw that it was all red and swollen and she just about tore the god damn ear off. We went to the doctor, had it drained. Then she wouldn't let me wrestle for the next month.

Guiness
05-24-2006, 11:43 AM
I don't know so much that I'm a fan, but I have watched some of it. Heck, a guy I grew up with is even a promoter of one of the smaller associations. He's done a couple of PPV specials for DirectTV.

As long as it's trained pros, who are getting paid and know what they're getting into, I've got no problem with it. You'd be surprised at how much these guys DON'T get hurt. They know how to defend themselves. I also think over the long run, they seem to take a lot less punishment than a boxer. Knockout generally take 2-3 landed punches, as opposed to boxing where a guy gets dinged in the head 50+ times in a match.

HH - if you're at all interested, you should get your hands on a couple of the original UFC tournaments. They are pretty neat.

Deputy Nutz
05-24-2006, 12:59 PM
The original UFC didn't have the regulations and rules that the current UFC has. The UFC used to be owned and ran by the Gracie family, basically set up to demonstrate the effectiveness of Brazilian Ju Jitsu. They allowed hair pulling, the use of a uniform in a fight. There were no time limits, the ref was basically forced to let action go on even when an opponent was getting beat silly, the corner had to throw in the towel, or the fighter had to tap out. Mostly it was boring, guys would just lay on top of each other, the ref couldn't restart the action, or seperate fighters.

The current UFC is faster paced, and more actioned packed. I pefer the octagon verses a ring with ropes when it comes to MMA.

SkinBasket
05-24-2006, 01:22 PM
The original UFC didn't have the regulations and rules that the current UFC has. The UFC used to be owned and ran by the Gracie family, basically set up to demonstrate the effectiveness of Brazilian Ju Jitsu. They allowed hair pulling, the use of a uniform in a fight. There were no time limits, the ref was basically forced to let action go on even when an opponent was getting beat silly, the corner had to throw in the towel, or the fighter had to tap out. Mostly it was boring, guys would just lay on top of each other, the ref couldn't restart the action, or seperate fighters.

The current UFC is faster paced, and more actioned packed. I pefer the octagon verses a ring with ropes when it comes to MMA.

God was it ever boring. If you want to see a dude straddle another dude and beat on his ribs for 15 minutes, then rent one of the first UFCs.

The competition wasn't really that great back then either. One of the first UFCs had a food vendor from County Stadium in it. He was about 40 pounds overweight and 40 years old.

Little Whiskey
05-24-2006, 03:21 PM
The original UFC didn't have the regulations and rules that the current UFC has. They allowed hair pulling, the

If you want to see a dude straddle another dude and beat on his ribs for 15 minutes, then rent one of the first UFCs.

The competition wasn't really that great back then either. One of the first UFCs had a food vendor from County Stadium in it. He was about 40 pounds overweight and 40 years old.

and nascar get a reputation for being a redneck sport??!!!

Deputy Nutz
05-24-2006, 03:22 PM
UFC 60 is on this Saturday. It pits a UFC legend Royce Gracie who won and competed in the first several shows, verse the pound for pound strongest fighter in the world, and welter weight champion Matt Hughes. Hughes is flat out the best fighter Gracie has and will ever face. Gracie in my opinion is over the hill, but still the best BJJ artist, but without the gee, how successful will he be against a well trained stomping machine like Hughes?

Gracie became famous and the face of MMA 12 years ago while dominating the UFC tourneys with his BJJ, but now everyone that trains in MMA has seen and trained in the fighting style, especially Hughes who comes from one of the best MMA Camps in the world, Militech Fighting Systems. Basically Hughes has seen it all, and maybe just maybe Gracie could catch him in a submission from the bottom position, because their is no way that Gracie will be able to take Hughes to the mat. Gracie simply cannot not stand and strike with Hughes. Gracie is weak in this area, and Hughes has only gotten better and better on his feet to become an above average striker in the UFC. The reality for Hughes, is that his bread and butter, the take down slam of his oponent and then the ground and pound might actually hurt his chances at winning this fight. Hughes will always be in a compromising position on the mat with Gracie.

I think it will be an exciting fight, and it will be interesting to see if Gracie has it in him to adapt to the UFC's new rules and regulations. Gracie simply can't wait his opponent out until there is an opportunity for a submission. The ref will have them standing with in 2 minutes if there is nothing happening on the mat, and in the long run, this is what hurts Gracie. Hughes has to protect his arms at all times, along with his kneck. Gracie is long and lean, while Hughes is short and compact, If Hughes gets Gracie on his back he needs to keep his technique perfect, and make sure that Gracie can't slip his legs around his shoulders or head and catch him in a triangle choke, or an arm bar. Because those are the only two things that are going to win the fight for Gracie.

Harlan Huckleby
05-26-2006, 10:50 PM
http://www.sequelsolutions.biz/nacho.jpg

This is a picture of myself & Mad before our last bout.

MadtownPacker
05-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Is that the one where you tore off my manhood without your hands?

Harlan Huckleby
05-26-2006, 11:27 PM
How many times do I have to apologize? I thought it was an ear - an honest mistake.

Deputy Nutz
06-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Most of you that care, have already learned that Hughes destroyed Gracie last Saturday night at the Staple Center. In with the new, out with the old. Gracie got an unprecedented 1.2 million to have a go with Hughes and to get his shoulder torn, and have his skull bashed with punches an elbows. Not a bad little pay day for a cool million and some change.

http://www.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/30207.jpg

http://www.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/30194.jpg

Scott Campbell
06-01-2006, 07:15 PM
http://www.the-reel-mccoy.com/movies/2005/images/NapoleonDynamite4.jpg

We both know I'm training to become a cage fighter.