PDA

View Full Version : MM on Williams and other Packer free agents

Patler
01-24-2008, 02:34 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=710762

McCarthy said the team is trying to re-sign all six of its unrestricted free agents, and that includes defensive tackle Corey Williams.

"I'm hopeful to have Corey back," McCarthy said. "I thought Corey had a heck of a year. I thought he handled his situation very well. I thought he was professional. And I'm hopeful that we can get that worked out for Corey. It'd be great to have him back."

That might not happen, as Williams is expected to generate a lot of interest in the free-agent market. McCarthy also said he's "definitely open" to having 39-year old long-snapper Rob Davis return.

Kiwon
01-24-2008, 02:42 AM
It would be nice if the Pack can keep the core of their guys together.

They're close to putting togther a streak of champonship runs if they play their cards right. This year was great PR for the Pack.

Most of their home grown free agents and others as well should be open to giving Green Bay a serious first look. TT probably will be able to bring in a top-tier guy if he wanted to.

I know, I know, he doesn't overpay for free agents.

Deputy Nutz
01-24-2008, 07:59 AM

They're close to putting togther a streak of champonship runs if they play their cards right. This year was great PR for the Pack.

Most of their home grown free agents and others as well should be open to giving Green Bay a serious first look. TT probably will be able to bring in a top-tier guy if he wanted to.

He doesn't overpay for other team's free agents. He will open up the pocket book for his own. He will be competitive for Williams but he won't go over the top to sign him.

Carolina_Packer
01-24-2008, 10:22 AM

He doesn't overpay for other team's free agents. He will open up the pocket book for his own. He will be competitive for Williams but he won't go over the top to sign him.

And Williams said recently that he might even consider a home town discount because he loves playing in Green Bay.

MJZiggy
01-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Can we please splash that all over ESPN, NFL.com and everywhere else that players are willing to take a hometown discount in order to get to stay in Green Bay?

The Leaper
01-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Can we please splash that all over ESPN, NFL.com and everywhere else that players are willing to take a hometown discount in order to get to stay in Green Bay?

Won't need to.

The free agents out there this offseason will all have interest in Green Bay if Thompson shows an interest in them. Everyone knows that if Favre returns, Green Bay will be in the maximum number of prime time games next year and in the hunt to win the NFC.

That hasn't been true the last 2 years during the off-season...which is why Green Bay found it difficult to attract talent.

Lurker64
01-24-2008, 12:12 PM
If Davis is willing to come back, you have to bring him back. He's a damn fine longsnapper and an important leader.

BF4MVP
01-24-2008, 12:21 PM
I hope we don't break the bank on Corey (he's good, but not great), but I would like to see us re-sign him. If we have enough cap room (which we obviously do), no matter how much depth we have at a position, I don't think we should let a good player get away and rely on young players to step in and take his place..Who's to say that Harrell could come in and duplicate Williams' production? He could, but I'd rather re-sign a good player if possible.

That said, I don't think it will happen..He's going to command a lot of $$ in the free agent market.

The Leaper
01-24-2008, 12:39 PM
If Davis is willing to come back, you have to bring him back. He's a damn fine longsnapper and an important leader.

This team has far more talent on it than it used to have. Every roster spot is precious. You don't retain a 40 year old long snapper with no other uses over a 24 year old kid that can help out in various aspects and has upside potential.

Besides, his skills as a long snapper have declined in recent years. He's not as accurate now as he used to be. Several holds this year were borderline due to relatively poor snaps.

denverYooper
01-24-2008, 02:37 PM

After reading the article about him being one of the guys the young players look to for advice, I started thinking of him as being like Chef on South Park.

I wonder if he sings songs about where babies come from?

http://www.dojowarriors.com/images/robDavisChef.gif

woodbuck27
01-24-2008, 03:00 PM
It will be interesting what happens with Cory Williams.

He works well in our DT rotation and can have upside. He's keen,strong and we need such a player at a valuable position esp. given that the verdict stll isn't in on J. Harrell.

If he wants to return to Green Bay I see that happening if he's not insulted or low balled.