PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for next year

hoosier
01-24-2008, 07:46 AM
In the first three years of TT the Packers have gone from 4-12 to 13-3 and within a game of the SB. A large majority of the press has been falling over itself in complimenting TT and MM for pulling off such a quick turnaround.

Next year promises to be a bit more challenging. Expectations are high, and it will be very difficult to match (not to mention improve on) this year's record. What would it take for the Packers to "break even" (not regress) in 2008? NFCN champions? NFC champs? SB champs? 13-3? 10-6 or better?

Joemailman
01-24-2008, 09:13 AM
When you come this close to making it to the Super Bowl, and don't make it, the only logical goal will be to make it to the Super Bowl. The trick will be to focus on each individual game during the season and not get too focused on what you hope will be happening at the end of the season.

GrnBay007
01-24-2008, 09:16 AM
The trick will be to focus on each individual game during the season and not get too focused on what you hope will be happening at the end of the season.

And with such a young team that's all the more important.

hoosier
01-24-2008, 09:23 AM
When you come this close to making it to the Super Bowl, and don't make it, the only logical goal will be to make it to the Super Bowl. The trick will be to focus on each individual game during the season and not get too focused on what you hope will be happening at the end of the season.

Certainly the SB is the goal. But are there scenarios where they don't make it to the SB but you still consider that the Packers are moving in the right direction? Most people would probably say yes. What will be the criteria for distinguishing between "moving in the right direction" and "regression" in '08? Now that the Packers have reestablished themselves as a contending team, will Packer fans base their feelings about TT's and MM's administration on record, making the playoffs, or some other criteria? That's the question I'm struggling with right now.

Joemailman
01-24-2008, 09:24 AM
I remember back in 1996 that Favre was asked shortly before the start of the season what his goal for the season was. Favre said "Super Bowl or bust". Holmgren got angry about that because he wanted his players focusing on the first game, not the end of the season.

Scott Campbell
01-24-2008, 09:50 AM

Certainly the SB is the goal. But are there scenarios where they don't make it to the SB but you still consider that the Packers are moving in the right direction? Most people would probably say yes. What will be the criteria for distinguishing between "moving in the right direction" and "regression" in '08? Now that the Packers have reestablished themselves as a contending team, will Packer fans base their feelings about TT's and MM's administration on record, making the playoffs, or some other criteria? That's the question I'm struggling with right now.

I think expectations might be too high for this team next year. As it turns out, this year they were too low. But its extremely hard to improve upon a 13-3 season.

oregonpackfan
01-24-2008, 09:54 AM
I think expectations might be too high for this team next year. As it turns out, this year they were too low. But its extremely hard to improve upon a 13-3 season.[/quote]

It will be particularly hard to improve on a 13-3 season with the schedule made more difficult. In addition, two of the NFC-North teams, the Vikings and the Bears, were improving the last third of the season.

Partial
01-24-2008, 09:59 AM
superbowl or bust

The Leaper
01-24-2008, 10:39 AM
At this point, I would be expecting 10 wins and a playoff berth in 2008.

MJZiggy
01-24-2008, 10:43 AM
I just want the playoffs, don't care how we get in. I just want them to have another shot.

BallHawk
01-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Division championship, as well as an NFC Championship.

All I ask is that we're competitive in the Super Bowl. With the strength of the Pats, as well as other teams in the AFC, I can't expect a Super Bowl. I can hope for one, but expecting one is tough.

There is no excuse for not winning the NFC, however.

BF4MVP
01-24-2008, 11:29 AM
superbowl or bust
QFT

That should be and will be the expectation for this team.

If they don't build on this last season and make it to the Super Bowl next year, the season should be considered a disappointment.

run pMc
01-24-2008, 11:51 AM
make the playoffs
young players continue to show improvement
TT continues to bring in more talent
extend MM's contract

denverYooper
01-24-2008, 12:05 PM
At this point, I would be expecting 10 wins and a playoff berth in 2008.

10-6 against what looks at this point to be a tougher schedule would be nice.

KYPack
01-24-2008, 12:19 PM
With the schedule and all the goofy games we'll get (Monday nite, Sunday, etc) I look for 10-6 11-5. We should be a big time player in the NFC North. I want us back in the championship game for the NFC.

HOME
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Minnesota Vikings
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Dallas Cowboys

AWAY
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Minnesota Vikings
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans
Seattle Seahawks

4 of those roadies are tough.

Each year, the 8th home and away game (2 games total) are played against two same conference teams who finished in the same position the previous season.

Lurker64
01-24-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm expecting them to get back in the Playoffs and take their chance there. There are so many variables that it's virtually impossible to predict what's going to happen in next year's playoffs anyway. A couple of key injuries could leave any of this year's playoff teams sitting on the couch as of January 1st.

So get back into the playoffs and play well when you're there, that's all I'm looking for.

Joemailman
01-24-2008, 12:36 PM
I guess it's inevitable that we'll go through the "tough Schedule" talk again. How many people said the Packers would be lucky to get to 8-8 this year because they have a "tough schedule". The fact is, the vast majority of teams will have a schedule that is anywhere from slightly below average to slightly above average in toughness. Not much of a factor in my opinion.

gbgary
01-24-2008, 12:49 PM
i expect a step back record wise but i expect an nfc north championship at least. if rodgers is the qb maybe not even that. he is an injury concern.

The Leaper
01-24-2008, 01:11 PM
I guess it's inevitable that we'll go through the "tough Schedule" talk again. How many people said the Packers would be lucky to get to 8-8 this year because they have a "tough schedule". The fact is, the vast majority of teams will have a schedule that is anywhere from slightly below average to slightly above average in toughness. Not much of a factor in my opinion.

True.

The AFC West was viewed as tough because SD was dominant in 2006, and Denver and KC were pretty good. All three of those teams fell off in 2007, and the AFC West actually was one of the weaker divisions in football. No one really expected that to be the case, but it happened...and the Packers gained from it, going 4-0 versus the AFC.

However, I don't see the AFC South getting weaker. The Colts aren't going to stumble with the talent they have. The Jags have a very strong team as well. The Titans and Texans should be decent at least...and both have potential to be stronger with a few additions.

A note to keep in mind. Remember how strong the NFC South was supposed to be? They played the AFC South this year...and got mauled.

I expect the NFC North will have a tough time with the AFC South as well.

HarveyWallbangers
01-24-2008, 01:42 PM
superbowl or bust

I just can't go there. There are 32 teams in the league, so if we have average success, I will only see 1-2 more titles (and 2-4 Super Bowl appearances) before I die. I can't be disappointed with those other 40 years where my team doesn't get to the Super Bowl. I know we are positioned right now to have that success, but each season my main hope is to win the division. If we do that, then I'll have bragging rights over the Bears and Vikings fans, and we'll have a shot at the Super Bowl.

Chevelle2
01-24-2008, 01:49 PM
This makes me think of the year when the Colts went 14-2, then lost to Pittsburgh I believe. Following season, 12-4, but won it all.

Bretsky
01-24-2008, 06:29 PM
At least the NFC title game

b bulldog
01-24-2008, 07:54 PM
My expectation is to simply make the playoffs

GBRulz
01-24-2008, 08:05 PM
It depends if Favre comes back or not. If he does....SB or bust.

packers11
01-24-2008, 08:19 PM
SUPERBOWL OR BUST!!!

mmmdk
01-25-2008, 06:49 AM
It depends if Favre comes back or not. If he does....SB or bust.

I agree.

With Favre it's SB or bust. With AR I expect a wild card birth. More playmakers are needed though and upgrade interior OL to get run game going.

If Packers stand pat then playoffs will be remote - no matter the QB.

Iron Mike
01-25-2008, 07:13 AM
My expectation is that M3 starts to instill some of that "Pittsburgh toughness" that he has been pimping for the past few years and then we'll see the Packers exert their will upon the lesser team in the playoffs, rather than folding up in the cold like a bunch of pussies. :evil:

b bulldog
01-25-2008, 07:41 AM
Guess who the biggest one of all was???? Had to say it GB :lol:

fan4life
01-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Definately Favre's last year. TT brings in personnel to strengthen running game and take pressure off Favre, who has another monster season in terms of TDs, but fewer attempts, completions and YPG.

SUPER BOWL OR BUST!!

Brett announces he is ready to hang 'em up at his post-Super Bowl PC.

The Aaron Rodgers era begins with #4 wishing his successor as much fun and success as he has had for 17 years as QB of the best franchise in the NFL!

GBRulz
01-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Guess who the biggest one of all was???? Had to say it GB :lol:

uh huh! you're lucky I like you, bulldog

At least Brett doesn't walk around in a bootie for "protective measures" :wink:

esoxx
01-25-2008, 07:35 PM
16-0 regular season.

Win the Super Bowl.

The bar has been raised and nothing less is acceptable.

The Shadow
01-25-2008, 09:15 PM
It will be interesting. The overall roster is young and on the way up; the player at the single most critical position is on the way down. With the maturation of the bulk of the team, the emerging defense, and McCarthy's focus on building an even stronger running game, the major key - at least in my opinion - is how well the coaches continue to transition Favre away from the 'hometown gunslinger hero' mindset into more of an efficient game-manager one. The approach paid overall big dividends this year, but notable, costly slip-ups came when regression arose.
If Favre can be taught to trust the running game and defense more, the sky is the limit.

Joemailman
01-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Before Favre can trust the running game, the coaches have to commit to the running game. Favre threw for over 230 yards in sub-zero temps, and the Pack ran the ball only 14 times. MM talks about committing to the running game, but at times he's too quick to abandon it.

jramsey495
01-26-2008, 12:33 PM
what was great about this season was that it came out of nowhere. what sucks so bad about last sunday night was we couldn't have played much worst and they couldn't have played much better and we still only lost by 3 in overtime. it was right there for us and we just didn't execute. players, coaches, nobody.

now the expectation has to be improvement, and we could be a better team and end up with a worst result because we play a 1st place schedule, people will be ready for us this year, and we prolly won't be as lucky.

i think we'll be a better team but we'll be lucky to win the division and real lucky to get the NFC Championship just because that's how the NFL seems to work these days unless you're the patriots, or maybe the colts. that being said, i hope we're turning into the NFC version of the Patriots and these guys figure out how to sustain success.