PDA

View Full Version : MM to Favre..."take a few weeks"

GrnBay007
01-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Pack not looking back after devastating loss

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) - The NFL's most elusive group of wide receivers was supposed to take advantage of an injury-riddled secondary. The Pro Bowl cornerback was supposed to shut down a wide receiver who hadn't done much in his previous two games.

When a fumbled punt was bouncing around on the ground, for crying out loud, somebody on special teams was supposed to pounce on it.

But they didn't. And now the Green Bay Packers are staying home for the Super Bowl.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy knows his team didn't play to its potential in Sunday's overtime loss to the New York Giants in the NFC championship game. Now it's time to figure out why - and what changes the Packers can make to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

"We did not play our best football in a time when we needed to play our best football," McCarthy said in his season-ending news conference Wednesday. "That's something our whole off-season will be based on."

McCarthy said the Packers will try to learn lessons from three of the season's most critical games. They'll look at lapses in Sunday's loss to the Giants and the Nov. 29 loss at Dallas, and contrast them with a comeback victory over Seattle in the divisional round of the playoffs.

"Those will be three particular contests coming out of last year that I think our football team can learn from, as far as the environment we played in, the path that each game created and how you respond to the adversity and the opportunities within those games," McCarthy said. "Those are lessons we need to learn from and apply to our future."

If coaches determine that they can improve the way the team practices or prepares for games, changes will be made in the offseason.

"We've shown in the last two years we've been here we're not afraid to change if it's going to make our football team better," McCarthy said.

Just don't expect those changes to include holding late-season practices outdoors.

McCarthy believes practicing outside in cold weather does more to distract players than it does to help them get used to playing in the cold. Besides, McCarthy said he didn't think the subzero temperatures on Sunday factored into his team's subpar play.

Instead, McCarthy said it was all a matter of execution - from his receivers' inability to make big plays against the Giants secondary, to Packers cornerback Al Harris struggling against wide receiver Plaxico Burress and Jarrett Bush's failure to fall on a fumbled punt.

"I don't think anything (New York) did was a complete surprise," McCarthy said. "It was more about execution."

McCarthy still hadn't reviewed Sunday's game film as of early Wednesday afternoon. He has spent this week holding exit interviews with players and year-end meetings with assistant coaches.

He had a long talk with Brett Favre on Tuesday, before Favre headed back to his home in Mississippi to ponder his football future.

McCarthy advised Favre to take a few weeks to allow the emotions of Sunday's game and the season to fade, so Favre could make the best decision for himself and his family.

"We talked about all the reasons why to come back and some of the reasons why he wouldn't come back," McCarthy said. "We ran through that gauntlet. He's always been very open and forthcoming with how he feels about every situation."

McCarthy said he and Favre plan to talk every seven to 10 days in the offseason.

For now, McCarthy said he doesn't know if Favre will play in the Feb. 10 Pro Bowl. And McCarthy didn't seem to be too fired up about coaching in the game himself.

Coaching in the Pro Bowl is a consolation prize for the losing teams in conference championship games, but McCarthy would rather be coaching in a game that counts.

"Everybody goes through it when your season comes to an end," McCarthy said. "You come in the next day and you've been on such a routine for months, it's Wednesday and you're supposed to be talking to your team today and practicing. You have a little bit of a lost feeling. Players probably laugh at this, but the coaches miss the players. You miss the interaction."

McCarthy also didn't sound particularly enthusiastic about watching the Super Bowl. He'll be traveling that day - "conveniently," he joked.

McCarthy will spend the rest of this week meeting with his assistants, but also expects to resume talks with the Packers about a contract extension. McCarthy is entering the final year of the three-year contract, and the team would like to lock him into a long-term deal.

Packers chairman Bob Harlan said last week that the team and McCarthy are getting closer to a deal, and one media report said the two sides had agreed in principle to a five-year extension.

McCarthy said no deal is in place, but is hopeful it will be done by the end of the week.

"We haven't had a whole lot of time to spend on it because it hasn't been the primary focus," McCarthy said. "But I trust and believe it will be done in a timely fashion and it will be done the right way."

Deputy Nutz
01-24-2008, 08:57 AM
I like McCarthy's bitterness.

pbmax
01-24-2008, 09:03 AM
JSO's blog had a completley different take on the time frame for a Favre decision. JSO left it as a conversation that would happen in 7-10 days, not weeks. This one reads as a more thorough explanation.

packinpatland
01-24-2008, 09:06 AM
I took '7-10' days simply to mean that they would be talking, not decision making.

Joemailman
01-24-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm glad nobody in the organization seems to be talking about how "nobody expected us to get this far". They are treating it as what it was, which was a lost opportunity. That should be a good motivating factor.

GrnBay007
01-24-2008, 09:08 AM
JSO's blog had a completley different take on the time frame for a Favre decision. JSO left it as a conversation that would happen in 7-10 days, not weeks. This one reads as a more thorough explanation.

Found it on Fox Sports.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7673700

If it only takes him 7-10 days to decide, I'd bet he's returning.

Merlin
01-24-2008, 09:11 AM
I can't see Favre ending his career with an INT. That throw may have actually sealed his decision to come back. He had a very good year and he had a lot of fun. If he thinks they can go to the Super Bowl in the 2008 season, he will be back. His family fully supports him and you have to know they love having him for a Husband/Father. How cool would that be?

GrnBay007
01-24-2008, 09:11 AM
McCarthy said he and Favre plan to talk every seven to 10 days in the offseason.

That almost makes it sound like MM already knows he's returning. Why would they talk every 7-10 days during the offseason if Favre is going to retire?

May just be the wording...I'm trying to convince myself he's returning. :P

oregonpackfan
01-24-2008, 09:42 AM
I have completely given up on trying to determine if Favre is going to return. There have been so many "incorrect theories" both on my beliefs and the beliefs/wishes of fellow Packer fans.

I will support, however, any decision Favre makes about retirement.

BF4MVP
01-24-2008, 11:35 AM
I think he'll be back..But it wouldn't surprise me if he retired.

packinpatland
01-24-2008, 12:03 PM

What's the definition of 'wishy washy' ?........ :lol:

BF4MVP
01-24-2008, 12:23 PM

What's the definition of 'wishy washy' ?........ :lol:
haha pretty much..I'm not even going to try to predict this year..I have no idea what to expect.

swede
01-24-2008, 01:35 PM
I have completely given up on trying to determine if Favre is going to return. There have been so many "incorrect theories" both on my beliefs and the beliefs/wishes of fellow Packer fans.

One thing that has remained consistent is that those predicting his retirement have been flat wrong over and over again.

fan4life
01-24-2008, 02:59 PM
It has come out, though, that Favre had pretty much decided to hang 'em up in each of the previous two years. McCarthy talked him into returning.

I think this year, more so than the previous two, MM could see moving forward with Rodgers. But he also knows that GB is better off having Brett. And, for the first time in a couple of years, Brett knows what kind of team he would be returning to.. one with a real chance to win.

I hope Brett returns. But I respect that the decision gets harder and harder every year, because the commitment to keep his 38-year old body in shape gets harder and harder.

I think he will play, and I think the organization is committed to developing a strong running game. But I also think the former depends on the latter.

woodbuck27
01-24-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm glad nobody in the organization seems to be talking about how "nobody expected us to get this far". They are treating it as what it was, which was a lost opportunity. That should be a good motivating factor.

Very good observation Joemailman.

We have a whole lot to learn fr. that loss. There is a prime example of adversity ( OUR teams inability to get it done , even to not be able to cover punts or recover a wide open fumbe) to leasrn fr. and build off for next season.

Favre has to return and he will. I just would like to know why he seemed so out of it in that game while on the sidelines? He seemed OK behind center but not himself on the sidelines.

Did anybody else here see or feel this observing him? It's like he didn't feel a win. What was that? WHY?

hoosier
01-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Favre has to return and he will. I just would like to know why he seemed so out of it in that game while on the sidelines? He seemed OK behind center but not himself on the sidelines.

Did anybody else here see or feel this observing him? It's like he didn't feel a win. What was that? WHY?

I have a hard time believing that Favre ever "feels" anything but a win. Even when's he's about to throw the worst interception ever. More likely he was just thinking, "It's so cold I'm afraid I'm going to s*** my pants!"

MJZiggy
01-24-2008, 03:29 PM

You can't look at it in terms of he "has to and will." It could go either way and looking at it like that could break your heart if he decides the other way.

I would like him to come back, but I'm far more at peace with his possible retirement than I have been in seasons past. I think he still performs exceptionally well, but can accept it if he feels like he doesn't have it in him to keep to the grind of offseason training and preseason and practice and the pounding in games...

denverYooper
01-24-2008, 04:45 PM

I thought he looked cold.

packinpatland
01-24-2008, 04:58 PM

You can't look at it in terms of he "has to and will." It could go either way and looking at it like that could break your heart if he decides the other way.

I would like him to come back, but I'm far more at peace with his possible retirement than I have been in seasons past. I think he still performs exceptionally well, but can accept it if he feels like he doesn't have it in him to keep to the grind of offseason training and preseason and practice and the pounding in games...

Exactly.

Harlan Huckleby
01-24-2008, 05:00 PM
I thought he looked cold.

hard to argue with this analysis.