PDA

View Full Version : Bears D over-rated?

No Mo Moss
05-22-2006, 04:43 PM
If watching the Chicago Bears be absolutely taken apart by Steve Smith wasn't a good enough indicator that their defense was extremely over-rated through the season, there was certainly clues along the way.

The playoffs didn't see the first time the Bears over-rated Defense had had problems with the pass. In week 3 the Bengals scored 3 TDs through the air in a blow-out win over the Bears.
In week 5 Trent Dilfer hung 2 TDs on them as the Browns beat the bears.
Our beloved Packers were able to hang over 300 yards on the Bears in week 16 with nothing more than a skeleton crew on the field.

In the Bears week 17 finale, the BEars starters only played the first half, however Brad Johnson registered over 200 yards through the air before half time.

The run wasn't always a picnic either for Chicago

In week 13 Gado had 100 yards of offense and a TD, a 4.76 yard avg. everytime our 5th string RB touched the ball in that game.

Week 14 the Steelers ran all over the Bears en route to a 193 yard and 2 TD day on the ground during their route of the Bears at Soilder Field.
This game gave us our favorite highlight of the year as Jerome bettis dragged Urlacher 5 yards into the endzone.

Certainly the Bears defense played well last year, but clearly they aren't as good as what Bears fans think. GB had its worst year in 15 years. Our defense played fairly good. Here is the CHi vs GB defense compared in some major statistical categories.

Total First Downs
CHI 233
Opponents 259
difference (-26)

GB 318
Opponents 280
difference +38

Offensive comparison of 1st down achieved
GB +85

Deffensive comparison of 1st downs allowed
CHI -21

Pass Defense
GB #1
CHI #5

Rushing Defense
CHI #11
GB #23

Receiving Defense
GB #2
CHI # 18

Scoring Defense
CHI #1
GB #19

Total Defense
CHI #2
GB #7

After all was said and done, they were hardly thebaddestbears IMO!

Harlan Huckleby
05-22-2006, 04:47 PM
jeez, I don't know, they really didn't have a soft spot in the D-line, linebackers, or secondary.

I don't know how great they were, but they sure were good.

No Mo Moss
05-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Sure they were good, but so were we on Defense. Do you recall the talk of the 85 BEars that we had to endure for the last 5 weeks of the season. That comparison seems to have fallen seriously short.

BlueBrewer
05-22-2006, 04:51 PM
They were very good but not dominant, they were vulnerable through the air, not on the ground.

hurleyfan
05-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Does "dabaddestbear" have access to our forum?!?!?

RashanGary
05-22-2006, 05:36 PM
If you have a good pass pro O-line you can neurtralize the Bears. They like to rush just 4 so if you can stop them, you can beat them.

RashanGary
05-22-2006, 05:42 PM
Scoring Defense
CHI #1

After all was said and done, they were hardly thebaddestbears IMO!

IMHO there is only one stat that matters and considering the horrible offense that lines up in Chicago, I'd say that stat right there is pretty impressive.

Scott Campbell
05-22-2006, 06:31 PM
http://media.thetigernews.com/vimages/shared/vnews/stories/s-43cffe30e6d58-75-1.jpg

MadtownPacker
05-22-2006, 08:10 PM
Can anyone say "2001 bears"?

If you cant say that then say "2005 bears" cuz they did the same thing.

Great record, won the division, got a first round bye, then, well you all know what happened next. :cool:

Wonder if the 2005 bears will match the 2001 bears follow up season? (5-11 right?)

Joemailman
05-22-2006, 10:30 PM
The Bears defense was outstanding last year, but they got a bit arrogant in the playoffs. They felt they didn't need to do anything special against a great player like Steve Smith, and got burned. CB was their weakness, which a great front seven had protected all year. They tried to address the weakness in the off-season, but the legal troubles for whatshisname may mean they will be no better this year.

RashanGary
05-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Good point Route. I thought they got cocky with GB too. The Packers protected the pass very well all game and Chicago refused to bring more than 4. Favre carved them.

I didn't watch the Carolina game, but I thought they were stubborn and maybe cocky agianst GB when they only brought 4 all game.

Badgepack
05-22-2006, 11:18 PM
I think the Bears "D" in both 2001 and 2005 were very opportunistic. They made big plays and got game changing turnovers. With the crap offense they have, the defense was winning/keeping them in games. I would like to see this years Pack "D" be like that.

GrnBay007
05-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Actually last years Pack D kept us in a lot of games.

chain_gang
05-22-2006, 11:35 PM
I think the Bears "D" in both 2001 and 2005 were very opportunistic. They made big plays and got game changing turnovers. With the crap offense they have, the defense was winning/keeping them in games. I would like to see this years Pack "D" be like that.

Couldn't agree more, I'd like to see some more turnovers forced by the Pack's Defense. It's seems like forever in between them. I remember a few years ago they were great at forcing turnovers. The last two years they haven't forced many at all. Hopefully with the new additions that gets changed. Although it all starts with the pressure up front, and that's the man question I have about the whole team in general. If we can get a consistent pass rush on the qb, I feel we'll be making a run at the Division title.

Mazzin
05-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Hey guys Finally found where all the quality posters went I see. I wanna get a new Sig, but i will hold out for a while.

chain_gang
05-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Hey Mazzin, great to see you here. I joined a couple weeks ago and this is by far the best forum I've been a part of. Welcome aboard.

:smile:

Badgepack
05-22-2006, 11:52 PM
Welcome Maz. This place is like night and day from where lots of us came from. You will love it. :D

Harlan Huckleby
05-23-2006, 12:08 AM
Mazzin,

Try using the Img button to post pics.

This one is sized for your avatar, if u wish:
http://www.sequelsolutions.biz/avatars/mazzin.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Welcome.

Scott Campbell
05-23-2006, 07:39 AM
Hey guys Finally found where all the quality posters went I see. I wanna get a new Sig, but i will hold out for a while.

Hi Mazzin. I'm glad you finally found the place, and hope you enjoy yourself.

MJZiggy
05-23-2006, 07:42 AM
'Bout time you read your pm. :wink: Nice to see you. Now people will get confused again and think I'm college age!

jack's smirking revenge
05-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Welcome Mazzin! Great to see you here.

tyler