PDA

View Full Version : Fred Davis of USC?

Brando19
01-24-2008, 04:14 PM
This mock draft I found has the Pack taking TE Fred Davis with the first round pick. Anyone know anything about this guy? Would he be an upgrade over Franks? Is he a good blocker?
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/01/23/mock.draft1.part3/index.html

Joemailman
01-24-2008, 04:19 PM
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/prospects/fred_davis.html

He is the Top TE prospect in the draft, so he may be gone before the packers pick. FF has him going to Seattle at #25.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-24-2008, 04:24 PM
STUD!

And, Rivers gets drafted next....one pick earlier then Mel Kiper says.

Now, two mock drafts that have him in the low rounds.

twoseven
01-24-2008, 04:30 PM
I don't see it, but who knows. Does the SI guy know we have two aging CBs and need overall help in our secondary? The FA period that starts soon enough will make our draft direction much more clear I would imagine.

Partial
01-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Rivers was picked before the Pack, not next. Davis looked good in the bowl game. I don't think its a good idea to draft a TE that high, though. We have a potent passing offense. I would rather address the defense.

b bulldog
01-24-2008, 05:27 PM
bEst TE in the draft

MJZiggy
01-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Then why is he going to be there at the 30th pick?

b bulldog
01-24-2008, 05:32 PM
he isn't a freAK and he isn't very tall.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-24-2008, 05:46 PM
he isn't a freAK and he isn't very tall.

Don't know about Freak..i've watched him, pretty darn good. Guess that depends on the defintion.

But, no tall? He is six four. That is pretty darn tall for any football player, let alone a TE.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Rivers was picked before the Pack, not next. Davis looked good in the bowl game. I don't think its a good idea to draft a TE that high, though. We have a potent passing offense. I would rather address the defense.

Rivers: Yeah, i've inverted it. but, i think we all understood the main point. That 2 draft guys have Rivers down where we draft, as opposed to others that say he will be gone early.

Not saying to draft Rivers, but he does look good.

I'd take Davis, but i'm with you...dominant D is best.

b bulldog
01-24-2008, 05:51 PM
At the senior bowl they are saying he isn't a legit 6'4" AND A FREAK IS A Vernon Davis, kellen Winslow type TE.

Partial
01-24-2008, 05:55 PM
I would love to have Rivers if he falls. He has great speed and is excellent in coverage for a college LB

b bulldog
01-24-2008, 06:00 PM
He would at best be a 66% of the time player.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-24-2008, 06:03 PM
At the senior bowl they are saying he isn't a legit 6'4" AND A FREAK IS A Vernon Davis, kellen Winslow type TE.

I think you misinterpreted..i'm not saying he is a freak.

BTW, if being a freak is good, then perhaps i don't want it. Davis hasn't done much, and it took Winslow 4 years to do anything.

Height: We will see. Post the link to the height discrepancy. I'm not saying he is six four, but he has been listed that way forever.

b bulldog
01-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Senior bowl thread, they said he looked awfully short next to other players :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
01-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Senior bowl thread, they said he looked awfully short next to other players :lol:

Sigh. Try to follow along. Of course he is going to look short next the those two. They are two inches taller.

Let's get some veriable proof, not what someone says from eyeballing him next to other players.

Game, Set, Match.

twoseven
01-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Somebody has to be that 66% guy, are we not wanting every player to be the best possible we can put on the field? It's one thing to not want to pay Briggs to be that guy, but a 29th pick overall? How often is a CB at 29 seeing the field next year with Harris and Woodson still playing? Rivers, who I think will be long gone, is a tackling machine that covers a lot of ground. I would love seeing him even just 66% of the time.

BallHawk
01-24-2008, 06:20 PM

Well of those two freaks, one has yet to get more than 1,000 or 7 TDs and the other nearly killed himself on a bike (though Winslow has fantastic talent)

Just because a player has great measurables doesn't mean he's going to be a great player.

Give me a hard-working guy with good attributes over a freak anyday.

CaliforniaCheez
01-24-2008, 06:35 PM

That is one terrible comparison and I would not want unproductive players like Davis and Winslow on the Packers. They have done nothing for San Francisco or Cleveland.

If he is BPA, and the Packers select him, and Bubba Franks is cut, I hope he does something unlike busts Davis and Winslow.

Partial
01-24-2008, 06:42 PM

Well of those two freaks, one has yet to get more than 1,000 or 7 TDs and the other nearly killed himself on a bike (though Winslow has fantastic talent)

Just because a player has great measurables doesn't mean he's going to be a great player.

You're smoking crack if you don't think Kellen Winslow Jr. is a great player.

Bretsky
01-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Winslow Jr is one of the best talents at TE in the game

Tyrone Bigguns
01-24-2008, 06:47 PM

1 good season...in his 4th year.

That is a long time to wait.

I'd be just as happy with a non freak like Jason Witten.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Somebody has to be that 66% guy, are we not wanting every player to be the best possible we can put on the field? It's one thing to not want to pay Briggs to be that guy, but a 29th pick overall? How often is a CB at 29 seeing the field next year with Harris and Woodson still playing? Rivers, who I think will be long gone, is a tackling machine that covers a lot of ground. I would love seeing him even just 66% of the time.

You are so wrong. It would be terrible to have our #1 pick be out on the field for only 66% of the time.

I know for a fact that all of our previous picks always played way more than that. :roll:

Bretsky
01-24-2008, 06:57 PM

Due to injuries and being an idiot with the cycle accident (if I recall right) Winslow hardly played the first two years.

But he followed that up with

89 catches for 875 yards in 20and 3 TD's 06 and
82 catches for 1106 yds and 5 TD's in 2007

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I doubt many TE's have put up those numbers in the last two years. And he played through injuries much of this year.

Whitten is a stud also; and he may be a better team player. Talent wise it's hard to argue against Winslow though.

BallHawk
01-24-2008, 07:06 PM

I said.

and the other nearly killed himself on a bike (though Winslow has fantastic talent)

Never said he wasn't a great player, because on the field he is a fantastic player.

But, Partial....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I82BPA5QAaQ

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bretsky
01-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Does Fred Davis have "star" talent ???

Ah forget it, I'm still in denial that we're talking about the draft

We're suppose to be in the dam Super Bowl

Tyrone Bigguns
01-24-2008, 07:13 PM

Due to injuries and being an idiot with the cycle accident (if I recall right) Winslow hardly played the first two years.

But he followed that up with

89 catches for 875 yards in 20and 3 TD's 06 and
82 catches for 1106 yds and 5 TD's in 2007

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I doubt many TE's have put up those numbers in the last two years. And he played through injuries much of this year.

Whitten is a stud also; and he may be a better team player. Talent wise it's hard to argue against Winslow though.

Talent: True.

Brains: Not exactly there.

Your stats are correct, but you still have to count those first two years. The team paid him those years.

As for numbers.

07: Witten and Gonzalez finished ahead. But, you can't tell me you wouldn't be happy with Gates, Heap, Shockey, Cooley, Clark, Heath Miller, or even Owen Daniels.

And there are others that could have posted better numbers on different teams: Watson, Zach Miller, Alge Crumpler, etc.

06: #1 in receptions, but is average is poor.

The bottom line is that there are at least 10 TEs that you would feel very good about having and not complain that you didn't have a FREAK.

CaliforniaCheez
01-24-2008, 07:34 PM

500 yards/year average and 8 TD's in 4 years?? He will never catch Greg Jennings in touchdowns.

In terms of $$/yard he is not impressive. Disappointment leads to the bust label. He has never shaken that.

Vernon (Who?) Davis has done nothing when his QB depended on him the most.

Why discuss these losers?? Because bad draft picks have made the franchises that drafted them among the worst in the league the last few years. Had those players performed their franchises would be doing better.

ny10804
01-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Fred Davis is 6'2 and 5/8 of an inch.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/weighin.html

Kellen Davis is 6'6...

b bulldog
01-24-2008, 07:47 PM
tHANKS, 6'3" FOR A te IS SMALL, GAME, SET MATCH BUDDY! :lol:
oNE MORE THING, i NEVER SAID THAT DAVIS OR WINSLOW WERE GREAT, JUST CALLED THEM FREAKS, LOOK IT UP...PLEASE :lol:

b bulldog
01-24-2008, 07:48 PM
oNE MORE THING, 66% WOULD BE ON d IF HE WOULD EVEN START. wE HAVE MUCH BIGGER HOLES than our Sam backer.

NewsBruin
01-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Is TE our highest priority or best pick for 1st round?

Partial
01-25-2008, 01:14 AM

He was good last year as well. 2 good years with 2 injured years.

twoseven
01-25-2008, 04:42 AM

You are so wrong. It would be terrible to have our #1 pick be out on the field for only 66% of the time.

I know for a fact that all of our previous picks always played way more than that. :roll:
..and we don't wat to make the mistake of paying that rookie part timer too much, let's trade down so we can save even more.

twoseven
01-25-2008, 04:57 AM
oNE MORE THING, 66% WOULD BE ON d IF HE WOULD EVEN START. wE HAVE MUCH BIGGER HOLES than our Sam backer.
I get that part. What I am asking is how much time do you think ANY 29th overall pick is seeing the field on a 13-3 team? I think 0% that they would start is more accurate, save for a guard AND the Sam.

What are our much bigger holes that we would address in the first round? CB sure, but is that pick ousting Harris? Will a rook TE oust Lee or Franks? Is Grant's RB spot in danger by a rook? I agree with you in part, but I doubt any 29th pick will be better than what we have out there already, save for a guard. If TT takes a G in round one I think several might not like it.

A pick that could be made at 29 AND be an improvement could be at the Sam. That would be if Rivers actually slipped, though there might be another there that could do also. Sam's not as great of a need, but it COULD be improved at 29.

twoseven
01-25-2008, 05:12 AM
Another player I fully expect to be gone by 29 is ILL RB Rashard Mendenhall, but if by some chance he slips I wouldn't mind seeing him on our roster.

b bulldog
01-25-2008, 07:38 AM
I like Mendenhall but I also think OL might be a target on day one along with DB's for the future.

run pMc
01-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Yeah, I'm a fan of Mendenhall.

Is TE our highest priority or best pick for 1st round?

This strikes at the heart of TT's strategy for drafting the BPA.

I'd like to see help in the secondary (CB or S) and on OL, but I wouldn't be surprised if TT drafts a player at some other spot. Depth at LB or someone to push Poppinga wouldn't make me stage a revolt.

Rivers will be gone. Davis is reported to be a little short for a TE which will cause him to drop, but he was a big part of USC offense, so I could see him going in the later stages of R1. Davis would help upgrade the TE spot IMO.

The Leaper
01-25-2008, 09:05 AM
I doubt Davis goes in the first round. He's not a specimen. He's not going to post eye-popping number in workouts. He's a complete TE though...one who can both block and catch.

If he was available at our 2nd round pick, I'd consider him. He isn't a 1st rounder IMO.

Deputy Nutz
01-25-2008, 09:08 AM
I like Mendenhall but I also think OL might be a target on day one along with DB's for the future.

I don't like Mendenhall, one good year in that offense just doesn't sell me as one that could be productive in the NFL. Sure he can catch passes, but he got absolutely clobbered agains USC. If he is supposed to be a first round talent he should have been able to make some plays.

The tight end for USC is really a no need player for the Packers. This draft isn't strong at the top but there are quite a few NFL caliber tight ends in this draft. Packers would look to groom a player into a contributer, rather than to spend a high pick on a contributer with Franks and Lee still in the mix.

Rivers from USC, intersting, hopefully he can play SAM because you don't move your 5th over all selection from two years ago to make room for the 30th selection of the draft. Besides Rivers would probably be gone any how. He is having a really nice Senior Bowl week and I am sure this guy times well. But in reality he is too small to play SAM with the Packers, maybe a Tampa Two scheme,

Tyrone Bigguns
01-25-2008, 01:33 PM
tHANKS, 6'3" FOR A te IS SMALL, GAME, SET MATCH BUDDY! :lol:
oNE MORE THING, i NEVER SAID THAT DAVIS OR WINSLOW WERE GREAT, JUST CALLED THEM FREAKS, LOOK IT UP...PLEASE :lol:

First, that isn't small. You are high.

But you would need an accurate measurement of all TEs.

For example, rucker has been listed at 6'6", but the link provide clearly shows that rucker is a full 1.5 inches shorter.

So, in order to show that 6'3" is shorter, you would need to match him up with other TEs and show that they are really as tall as they listed. Cleary, it isn't so.

More to the point, 1 inch is nothing. Give me a break. You coudn't eyeball two guys and tell the difference tween 6'3" and 6'4". And certainly you woulnd't call one small.

BTW, plenty of good TEs that size (these all start): Baker, Cooley, Pollard, McMichael, Graham, Clark, Kleinsasser, Crumpler (six two), Jeff King, Wilcox, Johnson/Miller, Daniels, Dallas Clark, and Scaife.

So, Bulldog...approximately HALF the starting TEs in the league or the same exact size as Davis.

The bottom line is that most of the time TEs are not drafted high in the first round.

Thanks for playing.

Game, Set, Match.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-25-2008, 01:40 PM

I don't like Mendenhall, one good year in that offense just doesn't sell me as one that could be productive in the NFL. Sure he can catch passes, but he got absolutely clobbered agains USC. If he is supposed to be a first round talent he should have been able to make some plays.

The tight end for USC is really a no need player for the Packers. This draft isn't strong at the top but there are quite a few NFL caliber tight ends in this draft. Packers would look to groom a player into a contributer, rather than to spend a high pick on a contributer with Franks and Lee still in the mix.

Rivers from USC, intersting, hopefully he can play SAM because you don't move your 5th over all selection from two years ago to make room for the 30th selection of the draft. Besides Rivers would probably be gone any how. He is having a really nice Senior Bowl week and I am sure this guy times well. But in reality he is too small to play SAM with the Packers, maybe a Tampa Two scheme,

Clobbered?

I don't know what game you were watching but it wasn't the USC game.

17 rushes for 155 yards and 1 td. 9.1 ypc with a 79 yard scamper. 5 receptions for 59 yards.

So, total yardage over 200 against arguably the best team in the nation.

I would hate to be your kid..."oh, you brought home an A...why wasn't it an A plus?"

Partial
01-25-2008, 01:48 PM
I agree with Tyrone about Mendenhall.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-25-2008, 01:53 PM
I agree with Tyrone about Mendenhall.

Hard to disagree with facts. :roll:

I don't know if he is our pick or if we should pick him, but to claim he didn't do anything against USC is hilarious.

The Leaper
01-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Mendenhall is a beast. At this point, I don't see any chance of him being available when we pick...but stranger things have happened.

Deputy Nutz
01-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Oh my, I pulled a Partial.

Partial
01-25-2008, 03:34 PM

I would argue that Partial pulled a Nutz. "I guarantee you that Tim Tebow will be the #1 draft pick" is an exact quote, I seem to recall.

twoseven
01-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Mendenhall is a beast. At this point, I don't see any chance of him being available when we pick...but stranger things have happened.
I'd like to know what the odds are of us trading up a few spots if an impact player is in reach, like a Mendenhall, who I thought projected mid to late first round. It's not like we have a ton of room for another 6-8 guys. I can't think of a bunch of easy cuts we could kick to the curb from the current roster to make room for the 08' class. We also have a few guys on IR that I expect to come back and take spots as well. Mendenhall may be gone before we pick, but I don't think it'll be long gone.

Partial
01-25-2008, 04:05 PM
I'd like to know what the odds are of us trading up a few spots if an impact player is in reach, like a Mendenhall, who I thought projected mid to late first round. It's not like we have a ton of room for another 6-8 guys. I can't think of a bunch of easy cuts we could kick to the curb from the current roster to make room for the 08' class. We also have a few guys on IR that I expect to come back and take spots as well. Mendenhall may be gone before we pick, but I don't think it'll be long gone.

There are plenty of good RB in this draft. I don't see a need to trade up. I also don't see TT drafting one unfortunately.

Deputy Nutz
01-25-2008, 04:38 PM

I would argue that Partial pulled a Nutz. "I guarantee you that Tim Tebow will be the #1 draft pick" is an exact quote, I seem to recall.

That hasn't been disproven yet unless the NFL has allowed him to enter the 2008 draft.

I watched half a Rose Bowl and made an off the cuff statement, it happens, I have mud on my face. Still better looking than you though.

twoseven
01-25-2008, 04:50 PM

There are plenty of good RB in this draft. I don't see a need to trade up. I also don't see TT drafting one unfortunately.
I didn't say RB specifically, I said impact player if they are within reach. I think TT has the flexibility this draft, no real glaring needs to fill like past seasons, and a real dilemma with who he'll have to cut to make room. I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

Partial
01-25-2008, 04:55 PM

That hasn't been disproven yet unless the NFL has allowed him to enter the 2008 draft.

I watched half a Rose Bowl and made an off the cuff statement, it happens, I have mud on my face. Still better looking than you though.

Well, than you can agree it happens. I'd say my two outrageous claims were the top 10 pick, and the Sean Taylor most overrated player in the league thing. Let 'em go. People aren't perfect.

Deputy Nutz
01-25-2008, 04:57 PM

Well, than you can agree it happens. I'd say my two outrageous claims were the top 10 pick, and the Sean Taylor most overrated player in the league thing. Let 'em go. People aren't perfect.

Sean Taylor is now dead, and Ike's career is in the toliet. At least my mistakes don't render people useless.

twoseven
01-25-2008, 05:31 PM
..and Ike's career is in the toliet. At least my mistakes don't render people useless.
July 21, 2005

Tallahassee, Fla. - Florida State junior cornerback Antonio Cromartie had successful surgery to repair the ACL, LCL and hamstring tendon in his left knee Thursday morning at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital. The surgery was performed by Dr. Tom Haney of the Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic.

Cromartie injured the knee during voluntary workouts on July 12. The rehabilitation process is expected to take approximately nine months.

"We expect full recovery for Antonio just as we do for all of our student-athletes," said Director of Sports Medicine Randy Oravetz. "He will begin rehab in two to three weeks once everything calms down."

Cromartie was a first team All-ACC selection last year and earned preseason Playboy All-America honors in 2005. He was also listed on the Jim Thorpe Award watch list and was rated the No. 2 cornerback in the country by The Sporting News. Since he has not redshirted, Cromartie will return next season as a redshirt junior.

:tup:

Tyrone Bigguns
01-25-2008, 07:26 PM

You continually prove that on this board. :lol:

MJZiggy
01-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Did someone declare it "beat up on Partial Day" and I missed it? Well, I still have a few hours to get a few shots in... :D

Partial
01-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Did someone declare it "beat up on Partial Day" and I missed it? Well, I still have a few hours to get a few shots in... :D

Christ I never got that memo either! :lol:

b bulldog
01-25-2008, 09:40 PM
6'3' is small and that is part of the reason why he isn't projected at going higher. He is clearly the best TE in this class and height will be one of his negatives and alos thast some think he is a tad stiff. Game, set, whatever

Tyrone Bigguns
01-28-2008, 05:28 PM
6'3' is small and that is part of the reason why he isn't projected at going higher. He is clearly the best TE in this class and height will be one of his negatives and alos thast some think he is a tad stiff. Game, set, whatever

Man, you are a dope. I guess you just don't like to accept the fact that approximately half the starting TEs in the league are exactly the sames size.